Type keyword(s) to search

Central City Citizen: The New Media Thread

Trisha
  • Start Topic

35 minutes ago, SevenStars said:

Sounds like contract speaks to me. She is in the middle of contract negotiations and don't know how it will turn out. I see CW trying to give her whatever she wants after losing two main characters. 

But at the same time, with Jordan and Jessica back on the show, depending on the impact these two have on the fanbase/ratings, I can see CW being willing to let DP go if she is asking for too much and just turn the next season, most likely last, into the Flash family season. 

I think it's more the latter rather than the former.  With all due respect to all of the actors Grant Gustin is the only one who they'd break the bank to keep.  Everyone else is expendable if they ask for too much $$$ or just want to do different things - that was proven on Arrow when Emily Bett Rickards left. 

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

I think it's more the latter rather than the former.  With all due respect to all of the actors Grant Gustin is the only one who they'd break the bank to keep.  Everyone else is expendable if they ask for too much $$$ or just want to do different things - that was proven on Arrow when Emily Bett Rickards left. 

Did they let her go or was Emily just done with the show and there was nothing they could offer her to stay ?

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/8/2021 at 7:34 AM, SevenStars said:

Sounds like contract speaks to me. She is in the middle of contract negotiations and don't know how it will turn out. I see CW trying to give her whatever she wants after losing two main characters. 

But at the same time, with Jordan and Jessica back on the show, depending on the impact these two have on the fanbase/ratings, I can see CW being willing to let DP go if she is asking for too much and just turn the next season, most likely last, into the Flash family season. 

I know Deadline said some people are still in negotiations, but that must be inaccurate or outdated; that would have been figured out way before now. Before Season 7, not during. (See: the news about Carlos and Tom.)

I do assume Jordan/Impulse will be part of Season 8 (my speculation); but that also would have been worked out before, and I don't think fan reaction will have much to do with it.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Grant Gustin interview with Remotely Renee; It seems this one was recorded sometime in February before the season premiere. Grant talks about his early career and getting cast in The Flash; mentions that he's signed on for season 8, but not beyond that; answers a question about being an ally, and one about the new Batwoman Javicia Leslie; a bit about becoming a father; his hiatus movie; and he mentions that there's only a 5-week break in filming this year.

To me, he seems open to doing a ninth season (at the moment); it would probably depend on the terms (number of episodes, breaks, money, etc.) and of course how long WB/CW wants to keep this going.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Black Lightning just had its series finale, and showrunner Salim Akil mentions in an interview about crossovers that were planned, but couldn't do because of the pandemic:

https://ew.com/tv/black-lightning-salim-akil-flash-batwoman-crossover/

Aside from an offscreen assist from the Flash (Grant Gustin), Black Lightning didn't get a chance to take advantage of being on Earth Prime before it ended because the COVID-19 pandemic made crossovers impossible. Which is a shame because Akil and the Black Lightning writers' room had already started brainstorming possible crossovers, in particular with The Flash.

"In our minds, it seemed like the Flash and Black Lightning had really connected [in 'Crisis'] and we certainly wanted to have something with the Flash," Akil told EW in a recent interview about the series finale. "We also thought it would be interesting to, in some way, have Flash and his wife, Iris [Candice Patton], come to dinner and Barry reveals he was raised by a Black family. To finally see some of that come out, we wanted to have someone say like, 'Hey, Barry, go put on some music,' and Barry puts on some of the deepest soul you can find and they think, 'Oh, maybe he's trying to impress us.' So fun things like that and then we [would find] out some deeper things about who he really is. Of course, crime-fighting and that sort of thing."

::shakes fist::  We were robbed!

Also Black Lightning lead, Cress Williams, said that The Flash has reached out to him to do possible crossovers: https://ew.com/tv/black-lightning-series-finale-cress-williams-arrowverse-future/

It's funny, I was going to ask you if you were opening to returning as this character on one of the remaining shows. It sounds like you are?

We're moving back to California, and so Vancouver, for short stints, to pop in and do something and pop back out, is not as challenging for me and it doesn't require packing up and moving my whole family. I wouldn't be able to suddenly join another show that's not in California. So there's that logistical thing. But also, you know, I really enjoyed the crossover last year. Specifically, I think me and Grant [Gustin], we're just very like-minded in how we approach the work, and we had really great conversations. One of my favorite scenes of doing this character was the scene between me and him in the library [on the Waverider in "Crisis on Infinite Earths."] So the thought of being able to go back and do an episode here or an episode there? Oh yeah, no, I'm down for that.

Is this anything confirmed yet, or are you still in the talks phase with The Flash?

Just in the talk phase. I was really surprised because it was months ago, I think in the fall, when they first approached me about, "Hey, do you, would you do something with us next season?" And so I initially said yeah, or my representatives said, "Yeah, we're interested, but you know, that's quite a ways away, and who knows where we're going to be at that point." And they just kind of came back saying, "Hey, we'll work around your schedule. We just want to know if you're interested."

Then probably about two months ago, they came back with like, checking again and saying, "We're thinking about a couple of episodes, and these are the months that we're thinking about, and want to just, again, see if you're into it." And basically we said the same thing, like, "Yeah, yeah." So I imagine at some point the next thing will be something a little bit more final.

I hope they can work out something.

Also in the announcement of the CW Fall 2021 schedule it's mentioned that there will be some crossovers:

... The network said that the eighth season of The Flash and the sixth season of Riverdale will begin their seasons with special five-episode events that will include a number of superheroes from across the universe appearing in the former.

From TVLine:

♦ The Flash‘s five-episode event will feature crossovers with TBD Arrowverse characters. “We’re talking about other superheroes from the CWverse that will come together in each [of the] individual episodes,” says CW CEO Mark Pedowitz. “That will not quite be a crossover but it will have a crossover-type feel at the introduction of all these characters.”

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

A few more details about the 5-episode 'event' with quotes from CW chairman Pedowitz at deadline: '‘The Flash’ 5-Episode Season 8 Launch Event Will Have “Crossover-Type Feel,”'

Pedowitz spoke about the logistical challenge faced by The Flash and Riverdale, whose current seasons stretch deep into the summer on the CW schedule. The shows will complete production on their current seasons in late June-early July and will go on hiatus until returning to start filming their new seasons in early September “fully rested,” Pedowitz said.

Because of the late start, neither show would be able to deliver the eight or so originals that usually air in the fall, leading to the CW’s idea to event-ize their five-episode fall runs.

(I'm guessing there's a post-mortem article coming out tonight and Matt wanted to get this out before?)

Tom Cavanagh iinterview at TVLine: https://tvline.com/2021/05/25/the-flash-wells-leaving-tom-cavanagh-interview/

Cavanagh talks about his time on the show, his exit, his characters; says some lovely things about a few other actors including Grant and Carlos; talks about a project he's working on; costumes, crossovers, and directing Superman & Lois.

I am upset that they couldn't get Barry and Iris to cross over to Black Lightning.

Pedowitz spoke about the logistical challenge faced by The Flash and Riverdale, whose current seasons stretch deep into the summer on the CW schedule. The shows will complete production on their current seasons in late June-early July and will go on hiatus until returning to start filming their new seasons in early September “fully rested,” Pedowitz said.

Because of the late start, neither show would be able to deliver the eight or so originals that usually air in the fall, leading to the CW’s idea to event-ize their five-episode fall runs.

I don't know about Riverdale but Flash is filming its season finale right now. They will complete production in late May, not late June-early July. What is Pedowitz talking about and why do they need this long of a hiatus?

3 hours ago, Starry said:

I don't know about Riverdale but Flash is filming its season finale right now. They will complete production in late May, not late June-early July. What is Pedowitz talking about and why do they need this long of a hiatus?

Pedowitz probably doesn't know the exact production dates; but either way, even if they finish filming, there's still post-production.

That seems like the regular length of the between-seasons hiatus, though. The cast and crew do need time off; plus I think Canada still has quarantine rules in effect, so that's less time they have on set, even if they're in Vancouver. (Not to mention, I assume Grant negotiated to have time off for paternity leave.)

Grant said that their hiatus was going to be five weeks long and that's why he chose a project that filmed in Canada. I didn't take the quarantine rules into consideration but over three months has never been the standard for them. Pedowitz mentioned production and that's why I thought he was talking about the actual filming but he may have added a couple weeks there.

If they are doing this five-episode event first does that mean that the actual season 8 won't start until 2022? Because I must say that I am not really excited about any of this.

1 hour ago, Starry said:

Grant said that their hiatus was going to be five weeks long and that's why he chose a project that filmed in Canada. I didn't take the quarantine rules into consideration but over three months has never been the standard for them. Pedowitz mentioned production and that's why I thought he was talking about the actual filming but he may have added a couple weeks there.

I don't know how to line things up with Grant's 'five weeks', but it's not going to be over 3 months. There's pre-production too. At most it's two-and-a half months.

2 hours ago, Starry said:

If they are doing this five-episode event first does that mean that the actual season 8 won't start until 2022? Because I must say that I am not really excited about any of this.

It's just marketing. There's going to be extra guest stars, but it's still The Flash. Wallace will probably treat it like a shorter "graphic novel".

21 hours ago, Starry said:

If I'm reading it right, they won't be ready with 8 episodes in the Fall, but they can manage 5 and those will be the "event" stuff. Then it sounds like there will be a bit of a break with the episodes to allow production to catch up

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, DanaK said:

If I'm reading it right, they won't be ready with 8 episodes in the Fall, but they can manage 5 and those will be the "event" stuff. Then it sounds like there will be a bit of a break with the episodes to allow production to catch up

I am sure you are reading it right.

I don't think they've said anything about a crossover and Upfronts is usually the time they announce their crossover plans. What I personally got out of it is that those five episodes of Flash will be the "crossover" but we'll see.

Two 2021 Leo Award nominations for The Flash; winners announcement TBD:

Best Visual Effects
Dramatic Series

NOMINEES

Armen Kevorkian, Joshua Spivack, Shirak Agresta, Christopher Grocock, Marc Lougee

The Flash - Grodd Friended Me

Best Stunt Coordination
Dramatic Series

NOMINEES

Jonathan Kralt

The Flash - Death of The Speed Force

(edited)

Carlos Valdes interview at TVLine: 'Carlos Valdes Explains Exit, Teases Cisco Final Episode'

TVLINE | What did you love most about your experience over these seven seasons?

It is so easy to get caught in the “pinhole” of working in Vancouver, and working on these episodes day in and day out, and living in the context of The Flash narrative. But every now and then, I’ll have an interaction with a fan, or read some kind of correspondence, that takes me out of that pinhole and endows me with enough perspective to be able to get in touch with how massive the influence of the legacy of this show is. There are people, all over the world, throughout the run of the show, that have identified with these characters. And there are people that have had to go through very arduous times in their life, and this show has helped them move through them and sort of “graduate” from those circumstances. That is so humbling, so getting to feel that and feel connected to people around the world in that way, who are moved by a story about, essentially, a kid who learns to run fast and save people and reckon with the ramifications of responsibility, has been the most beautiful and rewarding part of the last seven years of my life, for sure.

Edited by Trini
  • Useful 1

Carlos Valdes interview at EW: 'Carlos Valdes discusses his exit' :

When you spoke to [showrunner] Eric Wallace, did you have any wishes or ideas for how Cisco would be written off, or did you just leave that to the writers?

Eric has always been really good about creating a dialogue with the cast and motive transparency between us all, so he's been incredibly supportive throughout this whole process in terms of making sure that we collaborate on what we feel is a good goodbye for Cisco. And though a sadistic part of me was tempted to kill him off [laughs], we ultimately decided that wouldn't feel right. This big ol' goodbye... really, Cisco is just moving across the street. That's really all that's happening. So yeah, it's a goodbye but it's not that tragic because it leaves the door open for Cisco.

Candice Patton interview at Hypebae: 'Candice Patton Is Rooting for Actors of Color, Always'

excerpts:

What does a typical day on set look like for you?

It’s definitely a brave new world to shoot a show during a pandemic. We are tested every other day and there are numerous protocols in place now to limit possible exposure in order to keep actors safe and ensure the show doesn’t shut down. It took a few months to get used to, but now it feels like second nature. I think some of these protocols will end up staying in place even after the pandemic. It’s crazy to think that we would go to work sick! Before this, you would show up to work even if you could barely stand, but now you wouldn’t dare come into work with a runny nose.

Since starting your acting career in 2004, how has your experience of being a Black actor changed?

I’ve definitely seen the industry change in terms of there being more opportunities for Black actors. There are more roles and especially more nuanced ones. To think that when I started that I would be considered and eventually book the role for The Flash’s wife is kind of crazy to me.

In your opinion, what more can be done?

We’re making progress, but more can always be done. More diversity behind the camera and in the rooms making decisions for Hollywood is what’s really needed to make the industry and what we create to be more inclusive and reflective of the real world we live in.

As an actor of color, what sort of obstacles have you had to overcome in terms of representation and opportunity over the years?

I think one interesting thing for me is observing how the promotional and marketing campaigns are executed, and even with that, I’ve had to fight to be seen.

candice-patton-the-flash-season-7-iris-west-black-actors-diversity-interview-1.jpg

• Love 1

Carlos Valdes interview at TV Insider:

How were your final days on set?

It was a while ago that we shot it and it was weird. It was weird as hell, honestly. Because, as I mentioned before, I’m not great at taking compliments. I don’t like the ado, I don’t like the celebration, the applause, the wrap speech, and all that. That makes me uncomfortable. I just say the lines that are on the page. So there was a lot of love being thrown my way and that was an interesting challenge…but ultimately a very rewarding experience to realize that there is a lot of love for this character around the world. It was very humbling.

The Arrowverse has always been good about leaving the door open…

Well, who knows? There’s a lot of things up in the air right now. I think Eric has his vision for where he wants the show to go from here. I have my vision sort for where I want to start devoting my time and energies, like what kind of projects I’m going to start devoting my energies into, so whether those halves align is a complete mystery at this moment.

(edited)

Danielle Nicolet Previews “Masquerade”:

“I would tease it as ‘three episodes in one’,” Nicolet teased. “We get a revisit from one of my more favorite bad guys. It’s a horror movie, a heist film, and a truly traditional episode of The Flash, all in one.”

“It extremely entertaining in the very traditional way, but most importantly, the message that comes through about mental health awareness and anxiety and depression and that ‘it’s not be okay’ – I hope everyone takes that in,” she said, adding that they hope they take it in in such a way that they see that even metahumans with superpowers deal with “stuff” in life.

ETA:

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/the-flash-danielle-nicolet-previews-cecile-journey-in-masquerade/

"Cecile is going to have some growth as a person and, most importantly to the show, as a meta and really come into her own in terms of her powers and not just expanding but also acceptance of who she is as a person with power also expanding," Nicolet told ComicBook.com.

<...>

"I think that there's also a big metaphoric kind of connection for everyone watching with what we've all be going through in this last 17 months," Nicolet said. "We're all kind of struggling with depression and anxiety and mental health issues have really come to the forefront and there are a lot of parallels I think to Cecile dealing with mental health issues and finding her power in the process of that and coming out the other side."

Edited by Trini
(edited)

Quotes from Eric Wallace, Danielle Nicolet, and Kayla Compton in this article at Insider: https://www.insider.com/the-flash-diversity-representation-showrunner-cast-interview-2021-6

I do think Wallace has improved how female characters are featured; and while we just lost two characters who were persons of color, he did bring in several others. But I still don't understand why there have to be "conversations" just for Candice/Iris to have natural/curly hair. It should not be this complicated - after seven seasons.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Quotes from Danielle Nicolet about Cecile's story in "Masquerade" at EW.

"[This was] the rare occasion on a television show as a series regular that you get to really have like a one-on-one [scene that is] truly just focused on the material and get to play the emotions with another actor who is just as committed to the craft as you are. It was really great," Nicolet says of working so closely with Gustin. "Grant and I felt like we were shooting a movie together for those handful of the days we were in the hospital set. All we did on those days were those scenes. For us, it was just really exciting. We were shooting a horror movie, which is what it felt like."

• Love 1

Interview with Danielle Nicolet at FlashTV News:

What was your reaction when you read about Cecile’s backstory in this episode?

I loved it. Eric Wallace, our showrunner, had given me a heads up that this was coming for quite some time. And, boy, when I got the first draft of the script, it was even better than what he told me was coming. I just couldn’t believe it. Everything from the honest approach to mental health issues, and facing things like anxiety and depression, and the notion that we are afraid to share how we feel and that people will judge us, and so we suppress it, and we end up manifesting that anxiety and depression in other unexpected ways in our lives. That, in and of itself, is such an important message to me, just personally, I know personally to Eric, and the fact that he could take something as cool as the Psycho Pirate mask showing up on the Cecile and at the same time, have this be a story about the importance of mental health awareness and us taking care of ourselves and each other… that was, to me, it was one of the best scripts I’ve ever read. I’m so I’m so pleased, and I’m so proud that my character got to be the one who played it.

TVLine Performers of the Week...

Honorable mention for Danielle Nicolet:

HONORABLE MENTION | In the two-and-a-half seasons since The Flash‘s Danielle Nicolet was made a series regular, she never had nearly as meaty a showcase as this week’s mindscape episode — and boy, did she seize the opportunity to demonstrate all that she can do. For starters, of course it was a thrill to see her inject eeeevil into her glare and sneak smirks as “possessed” Cecile. But Nicolet’s prowess was best showcased in her scenes opposite Grant Gustin, in a psychic prison that resembled one that Cecile years ago called home, upon having a breakdown due to her mother’s death. Inside the mindscape, Nicolet finely navigated Cecile coming to terms with her past, and in a final scene with Jesse L. Martin, got to speak to the topic of mental health and how therapy can be frowned upon in the Black community. It was heavy stuff, but Nicolet carried it with ease.

Candice shared a bit about what it was like filming this past season on instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQUOZgMDT6e/

candicepatton

Started off this Juneteenth with a workout. These last 9 or so months have been really hard. Isolation from my loved ones. 🥺 Too many quarantines. Confined in another country. Lack of feeling like I had control over my life. Depression. Anxiety.

I finally feel like I’m turning a corner. Getting back to myself. I’m working on me for me and falling back in love with myself and life. Practicing self care / self love isn’t always easy, but im working on it and prioritizing it. I hope you will find ways to do so too. Rooting for you to root for yourself❤️. #motiv8

I don't agree with all the author's conclusions, but I thought this was one of the better analyses of the CW/Arrow-verse shows:

'The Arrowverse is struggling. Can its creators rebuild?'

But since the end of its ambitious 2019 crossover, Crisis on Infinite Earths, the Arrowverse has been in a rough period of transition, bucking against the weight of its own history and continuity. Whether or not it comes out the other side intact, the multi-pronged franchise will go down as perhaps the most accurate adaptation of the comic book experience in another medium. Phenomenal success and catastrophic failure are both part of that experience, and both options seem plausible for the Arrowverse.

<...>

This is a tremendous level of sprawl that would be exhausting if every viewer felt obligated to watch every series, and to the credit of the various writers and producers of the Arrowverse, they’re mostly not. However, regular multi-part crossovers have been a nigh-annual occurrence in the Arrowverse, which makes keeping up feel at least a little encouraged, even while the events are self-contained. Sprawl and the repetitive nature of how each series is built are probably the biggest problems facing The CW’s stable of superhero shows — when someone does watch them all, the seams start to show. And for a long time, they all kind of felt the same thanks to a symptom of The CW formula.

• Useful 1
40 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

SHOCKING, though it'd be interesting to see the show adjust if they decided not to return.

The only one I'm kinda surprised about is Jesse, because I'm always thinking he can do better than this show. I guess they pay him pretty well?

It's still pretty amazing to me that most of the original cast is still here going into Season 8; compared to the other DC and even CW shows.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Trini said:

The only one I'm kinda surprised about is Jesse, because I'm always thinking he can do better than this show. I guess they pay him pretty well?

It's still pretty amazing to me that most of the original cast is still here going into Season 8; compared to the other DC and even CW shows.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Compared to Arrow that lost most of their OG cast by the same time. Same with Supergirl

15 hours ago, Trini said:

13 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Compared to Arrow that lost most of their OG cast by the same time. Same with Supergirl

Depends on who you consider OG/main though - Flash is keeping 4 of their 6 OGs, so 2/3rds continuing on into S8. With Arrow they kept 3/4 all the way through - and you could nitpick if Felicity guesting in S8 counts as her being there or not. (You could also nitpick if Laurel really counts as "OG" but I digress.)

Flash has done well keeping their main team around, but IMO haven't been as successful in cycling in new cast.

Here's hoping that JLM is sticking around for reasons more than money and he's better integrated into the main plots next season!

3 hours ago, shantown said:

Here's hoping that JLM is sticking around for reasons more than money and he's better integrated into the main plots next season!

Well, his workload is pretty light lately, too.

3 hours ago, shantown said:

Depends on who you consider OG/main though - Flash is keeping 4 of their 6 OGs, so 2/3rds continuing on into S8. With Arrow they kept 3/4 all the way through - and you could nitpick if Felicity guesting in S8 counts as her being there or not. (You could also nitpick if Laurel really counts as "OG" but I digress.)

I compare by looking at the regular cast from the first season and the last season. Flash has 4 out of 7; Arrow had 3 out of 7 (Rickards doesn't count, but an asterisk for Cassidy); Legends 2 out of 8; Supergirl 3 out of 6.

• Love 1

I don't know how to link but there was an article saying that Candice wants out after next year if it goes beyond that, along with speculation that it might continue with the twins.  I hope not because it has gotten bad enough already and I immediately did not like Jordan Fisher in his role....

Eight seasons is a long time - it's not surprising that actors would want out after that long. To be honest it wouldn't be surprising if all the returning actors get some extra time off - we've already seen it this season with trips to tropical islands, being "sick", etc.  As for continuing with the kids, that didn't really work when they tried it on Arrow.