Type keyword(s) to search

Central City Citizen: The New Media Thread

Trisha
  • Start Topic

Re: the instagram live chat Candice did with Azie, Javicia, and Anna; I'm glad that they were able to talk about their experiences, and I hope WB is backing up the money truck for Candice (and Grant) to do a season 9.

---

This twitter thread links to a few other articles about Candice Patton's role on The Flash - and reactions to that- I think some were linked in previous topics:

• Love 2

Thought it was interesting that CW included Bart and Nora in the Fall sizzle reel:

It's unlikely Bart will be back before the tail end of the season since Jordan has other commitments for a while.

John Wesley Shipp talked a bit about his role on the Flash in this recent interview at EW:

What do you hope to see for the future of this character — on Stargirl or any other show?

I have high hopes, and there have been discussions, on Flash with Bart [Jordan Fisher] coming on. I didn't get to play the mentor episode, which I thought would have been so interesting with Wally [Keiynan Lonsdale], because Joe [Jesse L. Martin] became Barry's mentor/father figure, and how did Henry feel about that? How interesting it would have been if Jay had become closer to Wally than Joe? Well, we missed that opportunity; we went down the road of Savitar, and that never happened with Wally.

But with Bart coming on, we kind of set up in the last two episodes that he has a profound feeling for what he calls "Uncle Jay." And in some ways they're alike and they get along in some ways better than he does with his own father, who in our version is Barry. That, I would love to explore, and I hope that we do. It's been talked about; I've talked to [The Flash showrunner] Eric Wallace about it. A lot of it depends on Jordan Fisher's availability and we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I played the other side of it, like I was with the great Jason Bernard who was our Nightshade in the 1990 Flash. And I would love to play the other side of that mentoring relationship. [Laughs] So I would like to be Jason Bernard in 2021.

The Flash and Candice Patton are mentioned in this interview with the Batwoman cast: https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/batwoman-cast-friendships-behind-the-scenes

excerpt:

"Candice is the first Black female character that truly came out of any of this," Meagan said. "She's seen the evolution of how it works for Black women in the Arrowverse. It has been interesting to get to hear from her." Cam also reflected on following in Candice's footsteps, saying, "I always tell my friends that I think Candice is the reason that good things happen for Black people in the Arrowverse. She was the first to really stand up and speak out and say that there were things that are wrong. And she still does it." During her time on The Flash, Candice has been vocal about the harassment and racist comments she's received from viewers, who have criticized her portrayal of Iris West.

For Javicia, Candice has become one of her closest friends, and she is always there when Javicia needs a pick-me-up. "If we were to ever go to war, Candice would be standing right beside me," Javicia explained. "She's very fearless, and it's comforting to be around someone like that. I admire that." Javicia sung Candice's praises and detailed how her journey on The Flash and her fight for representation helped pave the way for Javicia becoming Batwoman. Javicia said, "I will tell you, if Candice hadn't done it, I don't know if there would be an Azie or Anna [Diop] or myself after her. Candice's role proved that there is a fanbase for Black actors in superhero shows."

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

Surprisingly little from DC FanDome. No final season announcements; no trailer; not even anything about the Armageddon crossover. Just the new costume announcement and photo:

FBxfwvlVcAInt4W?format=jpg&name=medium

There was a short segment with Grant Gustin, near the beginning; but it was clearly taped right after he finished that day's filming and was tired. He also introduced the S&L segment. Candice however, was a celebrity host and introduced several segments, and 'interviewed' the lead from the new show Naomi.

[ETA:]

Edited by Trini
accuracy
  • Love 1

A month until the premiere/crossover and the only thing mentioned is the boots? CW PR continues its losing streak.

Finished watching FanDome; and Candice was actually in it a good amount as a host.

------

Another deleted scene from last season's finale:

• Love 1

Worth noting that in the press release for the Flash costume update, Butler and Garza are listed as executive producers along with Berlanti, Schechter, and Wallace. They were EPs in Season 7 also, but I think this is the first time they've been listed as such in a press release.

Edited by Trini

Finally the Season 8 / Armageddon trailer:

---

Glad that it looks like a crossover centered on Barry. But, how many times does the world have to end?

I don't see why CW didn't release this with FanDome??

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Reminder that the Saturn Awards are tomorrow; The Flash has four nominations.

-------

BTW, not sure how long DC will keep this available, but you can watch the Fandome segment with Grant Gustin here.

Hey, they actually took some new photos for this! Armageddon poster:

FDSMgi-X0AQSMH8?format=jpg&name=large

[ETA:] I think it's interesting that there are more women than men on the poster. Wish they could have found a place for Ryan Choi (Osric Chau), though.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

Bless Grant and his spoiler-giving self! Interview at TVLine:

How is life for Barry when Season 8 opens?

Life is good! The kids [Nora and Bart] have gone back to the future, to 2049, and our theme when we pick up is that we’ve all “leveled up,” so we’re seeing this version of Barry that I’ve hoped for for a whole now. He’s feeling a little more confident, he’s really coming into his role as a leader. He still depends on the team but is taking on a leadership role more so than we’ve seen in the past. Barry and Iris are in a good place, life is good, which feels like the start of a season — and as we all know, it will probably get flipped on its head pretty quickly. [Laughs]

• Love 1

Interview at EW: 'Grant Gustin teases Barry and Black Lightning's 'heavy' reunion in 'Armageddon''

Cress had told me multiple times how much he loved working with you on "Crisis" and that he was looking forward to doing it again, and it sounds like the feeling is mutual. What do you enjoy about working with him so much?

First of all he's just a really nice guy, and he's been in the business a lot longer than I have. I love working with guys like that who just have stuff that they can share with me, and there's a lot I can learn from somebody like that. Not just in the craft [of acting], but how he carries himself in the business, carries himself on set. I just have fun talking and working with him. But he's a really serious, well-prepared, good actor. They give us really good material, and he shows up ready to go. It's just fun. It's different than any of the other dynamics I have on the show. It's special because it's different. I think it's mutual, but we really, really enjoy working with each other.

• Love 1

Lots of 'Wallace-speak' ("trust me, it will be AWESOME!") in these two new interviews with Eric Wallace about 'Armageddon and Season 8:

https://thenerdsofcolor.org/2021/11/12/showrunner-eric-wallace-discusses-the-return-of-the-flash/

https://theflashpodcast.com/interviews/exclusive-interview-the-flash-boss-eric-wallace-armageddon/

At least I'm getting the gist that Barry & Iris will be central to the story.

He also mentions that he's still doing the "graphic novel" format for the season, and is trying to fit three (3!) into Season 8 with "interlude" episodes also. 'Armageddon' is the first "graphic novel".  I'm concerned because it sounds like he doesn't have the entire season planned out yet.

Also there's finally a new season synopsis for the show, but I think it was put together by someone unfamiliar with the show (which is fine, but it shows); from CW's PR website:

Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) lived a normal life as a perpetually tardy C.S.I. in the Central City Police Department. But his life changed forever when the S.T.A.R. Labs Particle Accelerator exploded, creating a dark-matter lightning storm that struck Barry… bestowing him with superspeed and making him the fastest man alive — The Flash.

After stopping the Godspeed War last season, it’s six months later and Barry and Iris West-Allen (Candice Patton) are now at the top of their game—both in their careers as superhero and reporter and as a devoted couple. But when the powerful alien Despero unleashes near annihilation on Central City, The Flash and his team—Caitlin Snow/Frost (Danielle Panabaker), Meta-Empath Cecile Horton (Danielle Nicolet), the light-powered meta Allegra Garcia (Kayla Compton), brilliant tech-nerd Chester P. Runk (Brandon McKnight) and retired detective Joe West (Jesse L. Martin)—must once again defy impossible odds to save the day. But their victory is short-lived as two new threats rise from the ashes of “Armageddon,” one of which will unleash unforeseen horrors into the lives of Barry and his teammates… and change Team Flash forever.

Quotes from Eric Wallace previewing 'Armageddon' at EW:

For Wallace, it was important that these guest appearances weren't just cameos. "Every single guest star has their emotional journey that they go on. There might be one exception, but it's a pretty darn funny storyline. There's some real humor there," says Wallace. "That's different because in a traditional crossover we'd never have the time to service all of the characters and honor them. I realized we can't do that. We have to go back. And that means less characters, but more screen time." 

And some quotes from Grant and Wallace about Batwoman's role in the crossover:

"Without spoiling too much, it's not going to be what everybody would expect," Gustin tells EW. "By the time we've crossed paths on the show, it's not going to be a typical Flash and Batwoman team-up I think is all I can really say. It was great having Javicia on set, great working with her. ...

• Love 1

Somewhat lengthy interview with Eric Wallace about 'Armageddon' at CBR.com:

It turned out writing "Part 1" was far more complex than than I had anticipated, but it made for, I think, a really great episode and not only a really great kickoff to "Armageddon," but all the seeds for all the remaining graphic novels and emotional journeys for all of our main cast are all planted and all spin out of the five-part "Armageddon" storyline.

And a few more quotes about Barry, Iris, and Cecile's part in the crossover at EW: https://ew.com/tv/the-flash-season-8-iris-preview/

I think this ranking is valid: 'The CWverse Super-Teams, Ranked'

With new seasons of the CWVerse already underway, we have enough evidence to prove which super-team is the best! This list takes a look at each of the teams we’ve met so far and rated them on how they have evolved over the seasons, how they worked together, and highlights any significant moments from the team’s history.

• Love 1

Interview with Grant Gustin at TV Insider:

... It’s a five-part event called “Armageddon,” so there’s a lot going on. [Laughs] When I saw the trailer, I think, a week or two ago, it really excited me. Because it felt different working on it. [Showrunner] Eric Wallace has worked really hard to up our game…for this whole season, in general. Since he’s been showrunner, I know it means a lot to him to kind of turn up the volume every season. We’ve definitely never started a season where we just jump right into five insane episodes. We usually build up to our mid-season finale. But this is not that. This is insane. Each episode snowballs and gets a little crazier and crazier and bigger and bigger.

2 hours ago, DanaK said:

It was indirectly referred to in the 3rd Armageddon thread, but is there an issue between Candace and Danielle, or whoever are the women involved, that I missed? 

Nothing verifiable; it's mostly fan speculation, IMO. They're not friends in real life apparently. I'd ask which Danielle, but there are rumors about both.

TV Line's Performer of the Week:

HONORABLE MENTION | When Cress Williams was announced as part of The Flash‘s “Armageddon” event, we looked forward to a reunion of electrified superfriends. What we didn’t count on was one of Williams’ best performances as Jefferson Pierce. As Barry begged his ally to power him down, we felt the conflict within Jefferson. And when Jefferson related how “best friend, brother” Bill Henderson gave his life so that the Pierces wouldn’t lose their patriarch, wow, that Black Lightning death rocked us anew. Then, when it became clear Barry downplayed the Despero of it all? Williams showed us how irked Jefferson was, lightly growling, “You’re keeping something important from me. I suggest you remedy that.” Triggered, Barry fought his friend, but Jefferson managed to calm the speedster with a mantra from his own childhood: “Whose life is this? Mine. What are you gonna do with it? Live it by any means necessary.” With that, Barry was motivated to solve his future, not abort it.