Type keyword(s) to search

Central City Citizen: The New Media Thread

Trisha
  • Start Topic

From TVLine: 'The 30 Most Influential Black TV Characters of All Time'

Iris West, The Flash

Portrayed By: Candice Patton

Her Impact: It was no small thing when Patton (almost exactly nine years ago) landed the role of Iris West, who in the comic books had been white with red hair. “I went into it having the expectation that, obviously, people were going to be upset” with the casting, Patton told TV Guide in 2020. “I remember our executive producer at the time saying [to] maybe sit offline for a couple of days, which I did.” But nearly as fast as Barry Allen runs, Patton made her indelible mark on Iris, whose Black identity has shown through more and more in recent years. (In Season 6, Patton got to wear her natural curls, and in the coming season, Iris is shown sleeping in a bonnet for the very first time.) “Once I was on Twitter, watching the show with everyone, and seeing young girls see themselves in Iris… it was really an overwhelming feeling,” the Arrowverse’s first Black female lead told TV Guide. “I’m saying these lines and trying to do the best I can, and it’s just icing on the cake that I’ve been able to be a part of something so iconic and inspiring.” — Matt Webb Mitovich

The Legends are back in a one-off farewell at some point this season: 
https://gizmodo.com/flash-legends-of-tomorrow-final-season-nine-arrowverse-1850084928

Yay? I guess? I was pretty over that show by the end, and outside of Sara none of the remaining cast have any connection to Barry. I'll hold off judging til the episode airs but I'm wondering how much of the shortened final season is actually about The Flash at this point.

2 hours ago, shantown said:

The Legends are back in a one-off farewell at some point this season: 
https://gizmodo.com/flash-legends-of-tomorrow-final-season-nine-arrowverse-1850084928

Nope. Update from the original source (the Nerds of Color interview):

CORRECTION 2/7/2023, 6:05 PM: An earlier version of this article incorrectly quoted Mr. Wallace as saying “All the Legends [of Tomorrow] at least are all going to appear in an episode.” There is no confirmation of all the Legends returning in The Flash.

• Like 1

There are a bunch of Eric Wallace interviews out there, BTW; but I'm not reading so I'm not posting them.

Danielle Panabaker did interviews mostly about her new character and the final season:

TVLine: Part 1 , Part 2.

Den of Geek: 'Who is the New Character Wearing Caitlin Snow and Killer Frost’s Face?'

E!Online: 'Danielle Panabaker Details Why Her New Character Reminds Her of This Past Role'

ComicBook.com: 'Danielle Panabaker Talks Her New Character, Saying Goodbye....'

TV Insider: 'Danielle Panabaker on (spoiler)’s Death & Her New Character’s Innocence & Connections'

And most recently at TV Insider: 'Danielle Panabaker Talks Directing Stephen Amell’s Return & ‘Surprising Reunions’'

Edited by Trini

An interview with Jon Cor: "Jon Cor Details Chillblaine's Transformation"

In Rogues of War, Barry has a lot going on. He may or may not know [someone] who is able to help us. We all have ulterior motives at this point. Nobody is sure who is playing who. But we all want something that somebody else has. We all start manipulating one another, like pieces on a chess board. It ends up being a completely fun episode that goes all over the place. There is a lot of emotion. There is a lot of action.

---

I just wish the leads would do some interviews too. 😕

Season 5 "in a Flash":

Understandably, they've been keeping Ralph/Hartley Sawyer out of these montages; even though he was a significant part of Seasons 4, 5, and 6.

Grant posted a few photos and a message to mark his end of filming:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpgLlwNADqv/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpgLQY5vtGQ/

grantgust

I said goodbye to The Flash and my Flash family on Saturday. Very special day, with moments I will cherish for the rest of my life. My family got to see my last shot as The Flash - that’s something I could’ve never imagined nearly 10 years ago when I started this journey. This first shot here is moments before my final set up(which was Flash running). I got a chance to thank the crew, who have worked longer hours than anyone can image and are the reason we were able to accomplish 184 episodes of The Flash. More than anything I’ll miss chatting and laughing in between takes(and sometimes during takes) with so many of them. Regardless of how challenging this journey was at times, I know I laughed every single day at work for the last 9 + years. I made lots of mistakes and did a lot of growing up on this journey. Forever grateful to @davidrapaport @ziking11 (#DavidNutter) #GeoffJohns #PeterRoth & @gberlanti for the opportunity of a lifetime - one I tried to never take for granted. An opportunity that I honestly didn’t feel like I deserved at times. Thank you for believing in me. Thank you to the cast, old and new. Series regulars over the series and guest stars that popped in and out. Our guest stars are the unsung heroes of this show, that really made it special over the years. I made a lot of friends, and I’m sure many of us will be in each others lives forever. THANK YOU to the fans who remained passionate about our show through 9 seasons. The show went through lots of changes but so many people stuck with us through it all. I look forward to hopefully continuing to meet some of you out in the world in passing and maybe even at conventions in the future. Thank you to @chipeyt (#ToddHelbing) for taking the reins and guiding us and to #EricWallace for getting us across the finish line. Honored to have had the chance to play this iconic character. I gave it absolutely everything I had. That’s all for now.

Interviews with Javicia Leslie;

The Flash Podcast:

Javicia Leslie: Yeah, it was a lot of fun. I think as an actor, anytime you get to play multiple versions of the same character and multiple realities of the same character, it really kind of stretches your ability, and you can learn from it and grow from it. It’s a lot of fun, and you’re playing in that stuff that I liked about it.

Flash TV News:

“I think that [Red Death] was a very scary character to play with, because she’s very unhinged, and I am very much a person that likes being in control,” she explained. “And so, to release and let go, and to allow the moment to be the moment, and not know what it looks like or sounds like until it airs is a scary thing. But, it creates strength, and it creates trust within myself as an artist to know that I am intuitive enough in a in a scene and in a moment to make decisions that support my character.”

A few more:

EW.com:

It was fun. To me, honestly, it's no different — all those scenes were a lot of fun. The cast is just really great, so anytime I get to play with them, we all had a great time. Even in that last scene, it was cool to be able to see everyone. I don't think I had a scene with Allegra or Chester before that one, but I had multiple scenes with Candice's character throughout shooting, and I definitely have multiple scenes with Grant's character throughout shooting, so it was cool to bring everybody together.

at Den of Geek:

“You have to have fearlessness when you play villains,” Leslie says. “You have to, because if you think about all your greatest villains, and especially those in [Batman’s world], they all believe that they are justice. It’s very few of them that are killing just to kill. Most are doing it based on what they believe in, and there’s no difference with Red Death because she believes what she’s doing is right.” 

TV Insider:

Did your muscle memory kick back in when it came to handling these action sequences and the heightened reality of things?

Oh yeah, definitely. It kicked right back in. We had some rehearsals and [even though] I hadn’t worked with this team yet, as soon as we started we were like automatically, “Oh, OK. Yeah. We know what we’re doing.”

ComicBook.com:

Javicia Leslie: I feel like what I try not to do in any of the Batman lines is I didn't try to repeat what I saw in movies already. I felt like I just wanted to respond to the moment that was happening right there and then. But when I was doing the scene with Candice, we were just, it was one of those days where we were all allowing it to go as far as it needed to go.

Another Javicia interview at Nerds of Color:

...Also what was it like to be the leader of all of these Rogues on the show?

A lot of fun and they’re all just so talented. And so it’s really not that I love being the leader, but we were all kind of there to support each other. And that made it fun, especially because I had never played the villain before. So to have a team that truly, like, supported the crazy decisions that we were making was really dope.

And an audio interview at Black Girl Nerds: https://blackgirlnerds.com/podcast-actor-javicia-leslie-of-batwoman-and-the-flash/

On 3/7/2023 at 7:45 PM, Trini said:

Grant posted a few photos and a message to mark his end of filming:

The pilot opened with Barry running through Central City and narrating, so it looks like the show will end on the same note.  Yes, shows don't always film in order, but I think they'd try to make sure his last filmed scene is his actual last scene.

• Like 1

I don't really keep up with conventions, but there was a Flash panel at Toronto Comic Con this weekend, with Carlos Valdes, Danielle Panabaker, and Robbie Amell.

A few tweets and pics:

Nicole Maines interview, and a video clip: https://www.tvinsider.com/1087246/the-flash-season-9-episode-7-nia-nal-dreamer-nicole-maines/

And how is [Nia's] arrival handled?

It’s like two girlfriends meeting each other. You know, it’s, “Hey girl, I feel like I just saw you. What’s up? What’s happening? And what are you doing here…at my place of work in the middle of the night?” [Laughs] These are two characters we’ve never seen together but we sort of played it like these gals have met before and have spent time together. This is just the first time we’re getting to see them interact on screen.