Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Jetsam

raven
  • Start Topic

Avasarala is blindsided while on a visit to Mars. The Roci crew continue their protomolecule investigation while tensions between the RCE and Belters reach a tipping point. Drummer and Ashford track down a terrorist.

Airdate 2019.12.13

Keep your discussion to this episode only - thank you!

I'm digging UN One, Avasarala's official ship! And of course, she looks amazing and regal and imperious and continues to swear like a sailor.

I liked that Naomi didn't just go down to Ilus all happy-go-lucky. It's a struggle for her to be planetside, and I am glad they haven't shied away from that. Dominique is doing a great job.

It's fascinating getting a window into how the Ring Gates opening have impacted Mars. I love the little notes we get about that, especially from Bobbie's story. Working the docks is a really come down for our Gunny. I felt bad for her.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I love the little notes we get about that, especially from Bobbie's story. Working the docks is a really come down for our Gunny. I felt bad for her.

I cringed for poor Bobbie. I was wondering why Avasarala wasn't sitting next to her hubby, but she knew enough to make sure Bobbie had someone to talk too.

The Martians aren't sure what to do. They spent generations terraforming their planet, but with 1300 habitable planets out there, why bother?

Edited by marinw
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, marinw said:

I cringed for poor Bobbie. I was wondering why Avasarala wasn't sitting next to her hubby, but she knew enough to make sure Bobbie had someone to talk too.

My guess is by having Arjun at the opposite end of the table, he can let her know what she was unable to hear.   I really felt for Bobbie too and I hated (thought I understood) that she was angry at Chrisjen, only because I love their pairing so much.   Bobbie needs a purpose and a way to release her anger, I'm sure beating the crap out of a couple of dealers felt good but will have consequences.

I like Elvi's enthusiasm about new types of life.  It's a nice contrast to everyone else being practical and/or worried.

Our attractive cast worked out, LOL.  Everyone looks extra buff. 

There's something sad about proto-Miller.  I guess that's the Miller thoughts leaking through occasionally along with the voices from Eros.  Poor dude is compelled to investigate but just wants to rest, I think.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, raven said:

There's something sad about proto-Miller.  I guess that's the Miller thoughts leaking through occasionally along with the voices from Eros.  Poor dude is compelled to investigate but just wants to rest, I think.

I think Jim's still traumatized from that mind-meld last season. Still not sure if proton-Miller isn't a figment of Jim's imagination

Edited by marinw

Well, at least Proto-Miller didn't lie: Holden didn't go into another coma listening to him.  Nope, he just almost got crushed and caused a lightning storm on the planet instead!  Interesting hearing that Proto-Miller has all the thoughts and memories of everyone from Eros, and seems like he just wants to find peace finally.  Thomas Jane really seems to be enjoying playing this version of the character.

Whelp, that was a short run for Kris Holden-Ried's character!  I guess a Burn Gorman character going past two episodes without killing someone would have been impossible to do!  Certainly imagine this is just going to escalate the tension between the Belter colonists and the Inner arrivals.

Oh, Naomi!  I understand why you want to push through, but I do worry that you might end up really hurting yourself, if you aren't careful.

It looked like Alex was developing something with the Lucia character, only to find out she has a husband and a daughter.  Meanwhile, Amos just gets drunk at the pub and hooks up with Murtry's second in-command with ease.  Yep, that's both of those characters in a nutshell!

No surprise that Bobbi is struggling, since it always felt like the Martian society really held grudges.  And now she's probably gotten herself into whatever drug operation her nephew is involved in.  At least she got to kick some major ass.  But if that mysterious boss they were talking about is played by someone like Giancarlo Esposito, I would be very worried...

It was nice seeing Arjun again, even though it looks like they recasted him, since he was played by Brian George before.  Granted, that was way back in season one (and one season two episode), so it is understandable if he wasn't available, and the new actor seems like he fits the role well.  It is nice seeing a different side of Avasarlara when they're together (even though you still know she's our profane Chrisjen always!)

Looks like it is Naomi's ex, Marco, that is leading this fringe Belter movement.  Drummer and Ashford continue to work together for now, but I still wonder if Ashford is fully committed.  Interesting that Drummer's main contact seems to be Fred, while Ashford's is Anderson.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, raven said:

I felt so bad for him in that scene. But then I felt suspicious that maybe the pm is just saying whatever it feel will motivate Holden.

8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

It looked like Alex was developing something with the Lucia character, only to find out she has a husband and a daughter.  Meanwhile, Amos just gets drunk at the pub and hooks up with Murtry's second in-command with ease.  Yep, that's both of those characters in a nutshell!

I feel like Alex gave that up to quickly. Maybe it's an open marriage, it's the future after all 😄

Edited by Holmbo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

The recast of Chrisjen's husband was not done well. He looks nothing like the other actor.

I honestly had to rewind that seen where they first sat down because I thought, "Wait, was the supposed to be Arjun?"  It became clear fairly quickly, but I know it was a new actor.

I'm sure Michael Benyaer will do a great job, but it was very noticeable that he was not Brian George.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, marinw said:

I love and worship at the feet of Avasarala.  When Bobbie asked her if Admiral Souther really said all of that great speech - Avasarala - ever the politician - goes " I don't know, we rarely spoke.  He didn't much care for me."  Classic response. A true politician.  But one I like to watch and operate.

And Bobbie.  She is right.  You are glorious.

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 10

Oh good.  I am glad we are seeing Naomi struggle.  I was thinking about that a lot in the last episode and hoped they wouldn't have wave that away.  Also love how Alex is looking out for her.

I feel so bad for the Belters.  I want them to get a win.  I thought the tension between Naomi and the new scientist lady was well done because even though she is just really pumped about all the different biospheres interacting she does also drop a casually racist 'those people' type comment about the Belters. 

Also that Murtry guy is straight up unhinged,  Murdering that guy in cold blood.  So fucked up.

Poor Alex.  Trying to make a play only to get cock blocked by the woman's husband and kid. 

I like NuArjun.  Took me a minute to realize who that was, but yeah, by the time it was over I liked him.

Man, Bobbie....  I hope she rebounds.  I hate this for her, the suspicion, the come down.  She needs to be out there kicking ass.  I loved her simply beating the shit out of those drug dealers and letting off a bunch of steam.  I hated her nephew's girlfriend on sight.  She just looked like a wanna be edgy poseur.  And I was right.  She is the worst.

I watch with closed captioning on and I love how it will sometimes caption music.  In the scene where Bobbie is sitting at the dinner the caption read 'Uneasy Music' and one time during a scene with Naomi and Holden it read 'Pensive Music'.  LOL.

At the end when those first lightning strikes hit, I think I asked at the exact same time that Alex did "What the hell did you do? Holden'

• Love 10
On 12/14/2019 at 3:40 AM, thuganomics85 said:

It looked like Alex was developing something with the Lucia character, only to find out she has a husband and a daughter. 

Poor guy never gets the girl. Alex is one of my favourites. Love the way he speaks. Out of the goodness of my heart, I’ll volunteer my services. I wouldn’t mind at all being his pardner.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 12/14/2019 at 3:40 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Interesting that Drummer's main contact seems to be Fred, while Ashford's is Anderson.

I perked up when Drummer mentioned Dawes. I was hoping Jared Harris would be back. Excellent actor. But I guess all he’ll get is a mention. 

• Love 3

The settlers on Illus pay great deference to Holden. Do they know he is on a mission from Avasarala?

I also don't see how everyone knowing about Miller being in Holden's head makes Holden more credible as a leader.

So Alex, the most sensitive and compassionate person on the Roci, is the only one without a hook up; gee, someone needs to rescue Bobbie from her current predicament.

• Love 4

On a shallow note, everyone looks amazing this season, and Avasaralas dress at her Mars dinner was fabulous! On a less superficial note, this season is already so fascinating, and I love especially how much the discover of these planets is changing so much of what was just last season the status quo in this setting. 

I didnt really consider how much these new planets would effect Mars, but given that Mars has built its entire society on the idea of Mars First and building Mars for their descendants as this terriformed utopia, I can see why this has led to their whole planet basically having an existential crisis. Whats the point of working so hard to create a livable planet when they can just fly over to a nice new livable planet just a shuttle drive away? And much like The Belters, the idea of people leaving to create their own settlements is leaving many of their people with a huge identity crisis. When you so deeply define yourself and your society by the place where you live, where people dont ever really go anywhere else, who are you when people start leaving? 

Loved Avasaralas visit to Mars and her expertly political answers to everything, and that she invited Bobby to dinner, and even asked her to work for them! Poor Bobby, listen to Avasarala, she knows how awesome you are, even if the other Martians have forgotten! Its tough to see her struggling so much, but at least she got to beat up some bad guys! 

Also nice to see Naomi still struggling with adjusting to an Earth like gravity, that seems realistic. So damn, The Investigator has the thoughts of everyone who died on Eros in his head all of the time? That must really freaking suck, it seems like he is just wants to finish this investigation and move on. Or he could be manipulating Holden to do things that could get him squished or put in a coma again, who knows?

Oh you mean Burn Gormans character is violent and evil?! Who could have guessed? And screwing up Amoses good time too! 

• Love 10

Started on my rewatch of this season.

I am loving the two non-Ilus storylines. I dig the Medina story with Drummer and Ashford. I love their rapport, and the implications of the story. Of course the truce between the Belters and the Inners is shaky af. The Ring Gates may have opened, but the dynamic between Earth, Mars and the Belt remains.

Also continuing to love Bobbie's story and every window we get into life on Mars. It's even a bit sad to see the once mighty Mars brought so low.

The bonding between Lucia and Alex is the type of thing this show does well. Also really like the actress playing Lucia.

• Love 1
On 12/13/2019 at 6:12 PM, raven said:

My guess is by having Arjun at the opposite end of the table, he can let her know what she was unable to hear.   I really felt for Bobbie too and I hated (thought I understood) that she was angry at Chrisjen, only because I love their pairing so much.   Bobbie needs a purpose and a way to release her anger, I'm sure beating the crap out of a couple of dealers felt good but will have consequences.

I'm guessing those consequences will be the drug dealers claiming Bobbie was the drug dealer, and they were following her - which the police woman with a grudge against her would be happy to believe without too many questions. (haven't read the books - or watched another episode, though I probably don't have to qualify the statement as I'm rarely right)

On 12/14/2019 at 12:40 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Whelp, that was a short run for Kris Holden-Ried's character! 

I know! I'm hoping, as the scene wasn't particularly well lit and one who made the "threat" was off screen, that it was not him. It would sure be a waste to have cast Kris for this. On the other hand, the proto molecule stuff seems to be active, and maybe he'll be hit by lightning and revived, ala Frankenstein's monster. 😉

On 12/14/2019 at 9:51 AM, Tachi Rocinante said:

The recast of Chrisjen's husband was not done well. He looks nothing like the other actor.

It was a serious upgrade in looks anyway. I wasn't entirely sure I was right about who'd played Arjun before - as the actor is in so many things.

On 12/15/2019 at 10:31 AM, DearEvette said:

I watch with closed captioning on and I love how it will sometimes caption music.  In the scene where Bobbie is sitting at the dinner the caption read 'Uneasy Music' and one time during a scene with Naomi and Holden it read 'Pensive Music'.  LOL.

One of my favorite parts of watching with closed captioning. The second is when they get it amusingly wrong.

On 12/15/2019 at 10:57 PM, ferjy said:

Poor guy never gets the girl. Alex is one of my favourites. Love the way he speaks. Out of the goodness of my heart, I’ll volunteer my services. I wouldn’t mind at all being his pardner.

He's so cute, but the poor fellow doesn't get out much, and his skills are dusty. Not to mention, he hasn't had much of a dating pool. Amos got some, but he wasn't the one to make the first move.

On 12/15/2019 at 11:01 PM, ferjy said:

I perked up when Drummer mentioned Dawes. I was hoping Jared Harris would be back. Excellent actor. But I guess all he’ll get is a mention. 

It's too soon to tell...here's hoping. 🙂

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

Ilus looks properly alien, and not in a 'look at those blue bushes' sort of way that Star Trek used to do. It's still soil and rock and dust, but there's just something... off about it. And I don't mean the giant, techno-organic pyramids.

The med tech is very striking, isn't she? Born to be a Belter - tall, slender and unusual looking. Of course Alex gets a doomed crush on her, he really is the closest this show has to a buttmonkey. But I guess that's what happens when you're the most open, empathetic and and warm character.

Naomi hiding her weakness from Holden won't backfire at all, I'm sure. I hope this doesn't become a reason to send her off the planet into another storyline.

Murtry is not subtle. Hell, Burn Gorman rarely is, and does cold cruelty very well (even in Torchwood he was off-putting). Perhaps he was a good man before the shuttle was attacked, but it does seem like all three sides in this world are really bad at picking representatives.

Except the Belters, perhaps, because Drummer and Ashford are really putting their all into trying to make this peace work. I like their rapport, and their willingness to adapt to new ways of doing things, as true Belters always do.

I liked seeing more of Martian culture, and the possibly increased militarism and paranoia. Poor Bobbie, left hanging and sort of cut adrift (by her own choice). At least she got to work off some of her pent up anger, but I don't know how much I want to care about a 'my relative is caught up with a criminal gang' storyline... oh wait, I do know - not at all.

They recast Arjun. I wonder why, the previous actor had a sort of homely warm, ordinariness to him that actually informed Avasarala's character - he was a complete departure to the scheming and ambition of her professional life.

Proto-Miller is really interesting. The revelation that this consciousness still hears the voices of Eros was interesting. Does it bother him/it? Or is he just saying it because he knows it will bother Holden? Holden needs to remember that Proto-Miller does not have his best interests at heart.

• Love 4
On 12/14/2019 at 7:40 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Whelp, that was a short run for Kris Holden-Ried's character!

Last episode I was like, "wait, is that Kris Holden-Ried?" and as soon as I decided it was, he got his head blown off. RIP. Canada is just full of these actors who for some reason rarely land a lead and always end up being 'recurring' despite being good. It's a career I guess. Hey, maybe we can reboot Lost Girl. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3