Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Lou Wants to Be a Millionaire

Louis starts to fantasize about passing the Cattleman's Ranch torch to Eddie but is worried about his menu choices. Meanwhile, Jessica is still struggling to get on board with Emery's new acting hobby. And when Louis scores a spot on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire," host Regis Philbin offers Louis and Jessica more answers than million-dollar questions.

Original air date: 11/29/19

I want a cow bao. Does anyone sell them in real life?  Because they should. edit: just googled and yes, there are recipes and looks delicious.

When the movie lady called and Evan answered, what movie did she want Emory to audition for? I thought I heard Harry Potter but I couldn't hear clearly.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

When the movie lady called and Evan answered, what movie did she want Emory to audition for? I thought I heard Harry Potter but I couldn't hear clearly.

Yep. It was a casting agent from Warner Bros., calling about a role in a Harry Potter movie.

If this series would have had more episodes like this and not become obsessed with the "Jessica Is a Rabid Tiger Mom and Then Learns a Lesson" formula, it never would have been banished to Fridays.

Edited by jmonique
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, jmonique said:

Yep. It was a casting agent from Warner Bros., calling about a role in a Harry Potter movie.

Yes, I found that very odd. J.K. Rowling was very strict in that only British actors (even the children) were cast in Harry Potter movies. So, nope! Writers should have picked a different movie.

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

Yes, I found that very odd. J.K. Rowling was very strict in that only British actors (even the children) were cast in Harry Potter movies. So, nope! Writers should have picked a different movie.

I was shocked they went there. Maybe they should have went with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon instead since Michelle Yeoh was in that movie. It would have been a nice Crazy Rich Asians callback.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 1

This was a lovely episode. In the beginning I thought they were going to find a way to make an episode centered around Louis be about Jessica too, but this one actually included everyone in a nice way. Even Emery, who has been neglected a bit past season. I am loving how much more presence they have been giving Jenny the past 2 episodes, too.  She cracks me up.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Didn't only the first book come out at that time? J. K probably didn't have as much clout yet. Movie rumors were probably flying all over the place if they were even thinking about movies at all. I remember at one time that Steven Spielberg and Haley Joel Osment were rumoured to be in the running. And that was a few books in.

What year is it now on FOTB?

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Didn't only the first book come out at that time? J. K probably didn't have as much clout yet. Movie rumors were probably flying all over the place if they were even thinking about movies at all. I remember at one time that Steven Spielberg and Haley Joel Osment were rumoured to be in the running. And that was a few books in.

Yes, but also the script writer wanted to keep in tune with a full British cast to keep things inline. They could have thrown out George Lucas wanting kids for the prequel trilogy and that would have made MUCH MORE sense. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, lambertman said:

He’s 88.

Wow, I never would have thought! He seems to be doing great - good for him!

As far as that quick little Harry Potter line, they were just going for the movie that would be the very biggest opportunity for Emery to miss out on. Something huge that could be said quickly on the other end of a phone and still be recognizable. "Never call again!" was a funny touch.

I've always gotten the names Emery and Evan confused. Now that I've finally gotten them straight in my head, the show is ending! 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Yeah, the Harry Potter thing was surely just a cheap joke.

And in the episode, while he's pitching Louis on the Cow Bao, Eddie mentions that it's the year 2000, and the audience for fusion is gearing up.

Edited by jmonique
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I've always gotten the names Emery and Evan confused. Now that I've finally gotten them straight in my head, the show is ending! 

FWIW, they (including Eddie) are in alphabetical order, by age. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Reminds me of an earlier episode where Louis was considering passing down Cattlemen's to the boys. Mitch to Nancy, re: Emery and Evan, "Is it racist that I only just now realized there were two of them??"

Really enjoyed the Louis-Eddie stuff. Loved Eddie's cow bao idea, and even though I understand why Louis was resistant to it, I liked how Louis came around.

• Love 4

This episode was definitely better, though annoying Jessica still appeared.  I realized that they have toned down annoying Evan this season because he only appeared once when he crushed Emery's future of acting.  

The question was what processes memory, but I thought RAM was memory?  

I like that Eddie is developing his cooking skills and is interested in the restaurant.  

• Love 4
On 11/30/2019 at 12:06 AM, Ms Lark said:

The only non-British child was American director Chris Columbus's daughter. She was the person who persuaded her father to take the project as she was a fan of the books.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

On 11/30/2019 at 12:06 AM, Ms Lark said:

2 hours ago, morakot said:

The only non-British child was American director Chris Columbus's daughter. She was the person who persuaded her father to take the project as she was a fan of the books.

As someone noted above, Eddie mentioned that it's now 2000 on the show. By then, the first three Harry Potter books had already come out and were very successful and the film rights had already been sold. Spielberg supposedly turned it down because he wanted to do an animated version. Casting was announced in August 2000 and filming began in September 2000.

Although JK Rowling insisted on casting British actors, there were some Americans who snuck in (but no, they definitely wouldn't have called Emery for an audition!).

Verne Troyer played Griphook.

All four of Chris Columbus' kids made appearances as did his nephew. Eleanor Columbus played Susan Bones in the first two movies. Isabella Columbus played a girl at Flourish and Blotts in the first movie. Brendan Columbus was shown in one of the study hall scenes in the first movie. Violet Columbus appeared as the girl with flowers (one of the magical paintings that was shown in the first three movies). Their cousin Robert Ayres also appeared as an extra in the first movie.

violet.jpg.0a922aa3afb3a70432b03425abcb0a2c.jpg

Ballroom dancers/DWTS pros Mark Ballas, Derek Hough, and Julianne Hough (all Americans) appeared as extras in the first movie. They were training in London at the time and attending a performing arts school where the movie got a bunch of students to appear as Hogwarts students. Derek was a Ravenclaw (he walks by while Harry and Ron are playing chess), Julianne was a Gryffindor (she was seen sitting next to Dean during a quidditch match and next to the twins in the great hall), and Mark was a Hufflepuff (he's in the sorting hat scene). Years later, Derek admitted that he stole his Ravenclaw costume and cutlery from the great hall.

derek.thumb.jpg.ceffa2821063516a85c384ff5d5a25e3.jpg

707029688_julianne2.thumb.png.8db78d2de28744424a944788a7e99cbe.png

249657094_julianne3.thumb.jpg.b5b477d071cffc8e1780c2e35927fffe.jpg

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Even with a "Jessica is a jerk who needs to learn a lesson" subplot thrown in, I did think this was a pretty good episode. I liked Louis using random stuff he has picked up from people to answer the questions, and the stuff with him and Eddie was quite good. Cow Bao looks delicious, and if this is 1999, this is right around the time all of the fusion stuff really starts taking off, so Eddie is getting in while the getting is good!

I love that Grandma Jenny has been getting more screentime, she cracks me up. 

• Love 2

I thought all the flashbacks combined with the game show stuff felt kind of disjointed.

We did get the return of the "Yeah!" song though, I had forgotten about it.  I think it's been missing for awhile.  I still think they should have put it in every episode this season.

• Love 1
On 12/5/2019 at 8:54 PM, rmontro said:

I thought all the flashbacks combined with the game show stuff felt kind of disjointed.

We did get the return of the "Yeah!" song though, I had forgotten about it.  I think it's been missing for awhile.  I still think they should have put it in every episode this season.

I didn't like it.  Just felt like a clip show.  I tried watching it twice and couldn't get through it.  

• Love 2
On 12/6/2019 at 2:54 AM, rmontro said:

That was intentional. It was a reference to slumdog millionaire. A very disturbing movie don't watch it.

81Fr8W4urwL._RI_.jpg