Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Pendulum Swings

• Start Topic

I want to like this show, but I'm losing interest. Even though everyone seems to be trying their hardest in the acting and production, it just seems off to me.

I'm surprised that not many comments have been made in this forum. Apple may have spent too much money on this project.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, Kenz said:

I want to like this show, but I'm losing interest. Even though everyone seems to be trying their hardest in the acting and production, it just seems off to me.

I'm surprised that not many comments have been made in this forum. Apple may have spent too much money on this project.

I agree to all of this.

I am also trying to figure out why it is just "meh" when I watch it. I think it has something to do with Aniston's character being completely unlikable so far, in fact most of the characters are unlikable and without conscience or humanity. So far most of the screen time is taken up with fighting, back stabbing, lies and humiliation.

This is supposed to mirror the real goings on at network TV but watching people destroy each other to get ahead is not a great TV viewing experience.

• Love 10

Not only is Aniston’s character unlikeable but Witherspoon, Carrell, the dad from “My So Called Life” and several others who usually play someone that we like or at least feel some compassion for are making me feel nothing. If “Succession”, with the most heinous of characters could have me feeling something for them, what’s the matter with this show?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

WItherspoon's character is clearly supposed to be the character we root for and I can't stand her. Her constant whining about soft news. She knew exactly what The Morning Show was when she signed up. 

That said I am really liking the show and hope it does well enough for a 2nd season.

• Love 12
17 hours ago, juno said:

I agree to all of this.

I am also trying to figure out why it is just "meh" when I watch it. I think it has something to do with Aniston's character being completely unlikable so far, in fact most of the characters are unlikable and without conscience or humanity. So far most of the screen time is taken up with fighting, back stabbing, lies and humiliation.

This is supposed to mirror the real goings on at network TV but watching people destroy each other to get ahead is not a great TV viewing experience.

I actually like Aniston's character. She is definitely flawed and self-centered, but I find her interesting. I can't stand Bradley Jackson though. If she is the one we are supposed to root for, then I must've missed the memo. 

I like the show but can't figure out where it's going. The focus seems to be faltering. I'll probably watch it until the end though. 

• Love 16

I think it was a mistake to not release all the eps at once. The show has moved kind of slow and I get into it then I have to wait another week and I lose interest . It’s good, but not THAT good that I don’t mind hanging out a week for the next ep. If something as quality as The Crown can release all at once certainly this one could. I’ll keep watching, I like it, mostly because I can’t figure whose good or bad and I like that subtlety. It ring more true to me than shows where there’s an angelic protagonist and a mustache twirling villion. 

• Love 4
On 11/23/2019 at 5:52 PM, Caseysgirl said:

the dad from “My So Called Life” 

Oh my god!  Haha .  Thanks for pointing that out!

I actually love the show, and especially Aniston.

I know they've both got some work done but Reese's eyes are VERY distracting.  Whenever she squints, something looks very "off".  Something really got botched there. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 11/23/2019 at 2:50 PM, juno said:

I am also trying to figure out why it is just "meh" when I watch it. I think it has something to do with Aniston's character being completely unlikable so far, in fact most of the characters are unlikable and without conscience or humanity.

I do want to tell her to just pick a lane as to whether she likes or hates Bradley.  I feel like this changes every other episode. 

On 11/23/2019 at 6:16 PM, pivot said:

That said I am really liking the show and hope it does well enough for a 2nd season.

I may be wrong, but I think it was already renewed. 

One thing I did want to point out, if TMS is broadcasting live from California that means that it's about 4:00 am there (presuming TMS starts at the same time as the real world morning shows) when they start broadcasting.  The only reason I say anything is because I'm pretty sure that Bradley threw to a live news conference some fire department official was giving after she and Alex did their intros.  And I kept thinking, what official is doing a live news conference around 4:00 am?  Even in an emergency situation, a news conference at that hour seems unlikely. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Caught up on my friend's account and the whole problem with this show is that the writing is just not great. It tries so hard -- and you can see and feel it trying and the actors try -- but it never fully comes together. But it's a watchable show so I can see why the general public has responded better than the critics. Aniston and Crudup are very good. Witherspoon and Carell are not. Honestly, Witherspoon is miscast in this (I know she basically cast herself since she and Aniston developed the project for themselves, but the part should've been better crafted for her).

This episode drove me crazy because it's April in the show's world and they went to cover the California wildfires. California wildfire season is in the fall. And then Nestor Carbonell said "the Woolsey Fire in fall 2018." Uh, if you're supposed to be five months removed from it, you'd just say "last fall."

• Love 2
On 11/22/2019 at 7:33 AM, Lady Calypso said:

TMS covers the California wildfire, while Alex and Bradley struggle to keep their relationship from going up in flames.

Both lead female characters have male names. Is there a subliminal message in that?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yeah who the hell names their daughter Bradley? Mama Jackson doesn't seem that progressive. 

Tried to figure out if that was really Aniston singing in this episode. I lean towards no, at least not without a lot of help, but part her solo bit did sound like her.

On 11/26/2019 at 6:13 AM, alihart41 said:

Honestly, Witherspoon is miscast in this (

YES. The writing for her is also terrible with every secondary character always propping her up. 

“you’re pretty likeable you know”

”we think you’re kind of awesome”

And of course only she can cradle Alex off the ledge. 

And that accent she’s doing drives me mad. 

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 1

I’m watching for all the actors I like but I don’t get the overall message. I’m an Anniston fan but hate her here. Part of it is because I’m a journalist for a newspaper and we don’t have queen bee personalities who can treat people like dirt. I don’t mind Witherspoon except she should understand how TV morning shows work. If the show wants me to think Alex is some kind of feminist who is empowering other women, I don’t see that at all.

• Like 2

I was waiting for Alex to use what Bradley confessed, against her.  I liked their scenes together, but I’m still afraid that she’ll try to strike her where it really stings.  Maybe I’m just too jaded.  

• Like 1

Watching later on... I agree with all the comments. Not likeable. Not relatable at all. Rich, super privileged people being narcissistic. The show presents us with their rich, privileged lives and I can't figure out if it's supposed to be ironic or what. I am not an Aniston fan and see nothing here to change my mind. Her acting range extends from A to B. (I forget who originally said that.) Her constant complaining, whining, tantrum-throwing... whatever. The biggest issue is I have NO IDEA why Reese W would play along with this circus. IF we're to believe her character is such a maverick and outsider, why the fuck is she there? She would have vamoosed right after the first day.

I would really love to see an actual, nuanced discussion of workplace sexual harrassment. There are little moments where it looks like we might get somewhere but so far it always falls back into the same old crap of shitty people being shitty to each other. I LOVED the moment when Steve Carrell realizes Martin Short actually is a predator. Can anybody please acknowledge that there is a big difference between Harvey Weinstein and Al Franken? I guess not.

Also I am sick to death of the way journalists are demonized. Are these people just "personalities" or is there ANY PROFESSIONALISM there? Sheesh.

Early on I was thinking this would end up as a warmed-over remake of "Network" where Reese would scream, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" Even that would be an improvement. I am not sure I can continue to watch. I don't find this entertaining.

Edited by lidarose9
  • Like 1
On 11/23/2019 at 2:52 PM, Caseysgirl said:

Not only is Aniston’s character unlikeable but Witherspoon, Carrell, the dad from “My So Called Life” and several others who usually play someone that we like or at least feel some compassion for are making me feel nothing. If “Succession”, with the most heinous of characters could have me feeling something for them, what’s the matter with this show?

Tom Irwin is one of my favorite character actors, and I've loved him ever since he played Angela's dad in MSCL. There was an episode in that where he absolutely broke my heart (he and Bess Armstrong were wonderful as her parents).

I'm bummed at his character in this so far. Fred is just such a cartoon-character bad guy. But hey, I'm happy he's working and making a good paycheck.

On 8/31/2022 at 12:45 PM, lidarose9 said:

I would really love to see an actual, nuanced discussion of workplace sexual harrassment. There are little moments where it looks like we might get somewhere but so far it always falls back into the same old crap of shitty people being shitty to each other. I LOVED the moment when Steve Carrell realizes Martin Short actually is a predator. Can anybody please acknowledge that there is a big difference between Harvey Weinstein and Al Franken? I guess not.

I loved that scene as well -- I just think Carell has been terrific thus far as Mitch, and his real disgust when he realized that Short's character was actually a terrible person was fantastically acted. And I always love it when Short does drama (I honestly prefer him as a dramatic actor in general).

I'm interested in Mitch's fate because so far, the show seems to be hinting that he wasn't actually guilty at the levels he's being accused of, and I would have enjoyed some nuance to some of those debates and discussions. For instance, the Yanko/Claire relationship is sympathetic, even if it's also blatantly an absolutely terrible idea on both their parts.