Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

I forgot that Nina knew the whole truth about Gladys and Dr. Evil. So if anyone can put an end to this, it would be her.

Mason was clean-shaved in yesterday's scenes with Cyrus, which made him look like an egg. Today, he's back to having those patches of hair. Did he concentrate really hard to grow that hair on his way to Wyndemere from Pentonville?

I'm assuming that Harmony was there to warn Willow against big bad Nina who turned poor criminal Drew and Carly into the FCC.

STFU, Amy.

STFU, Michael and Carly.

STFU, Drew. I thought he was going to ask to see his daughter, but no. He wants to talk about Wylie instead. What an awesome father! Should've stayed dead instead of tarnishing and dragging through the mud what was a really good character.

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 1

Spencer's suit was a smidge small, I thought.

Spencer, don't scold your girlfriend for not saying ILY on your schedule. Ugh. I really don't like how they're writing this trip: Trina is the wide-eyed newbie and Spencer is the experienced man-about-town. More ugh. Trina, get impressed when Spencer has arranged a behind-the-scenes tour of the Met, not when he had rose petals strewn over the bed. Good grief.

"She insisted on seeing [Drew], so I'm staying with the kids." Michael, you are the father of "the kids." Where else would you be? And Willow made a point of saying Michael is home with the kids. HE IS THEIR FATHER. 

53 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

But not one word about his own daughter.

Who? I doubt Drew remembers her name.

Ava's butler/maitre d'/house manager doesn't know how she likes her martinis? That is terrible service. Fire him immediately! 

"Do we really care what icing in on the cake?" Yes, we do, Sonny! Eloping doesn't mean you have to forego the cake, by the way.

• Like 7

Yesterdays show: 

Carly asks the Pentonville warden: "What kind of prison are you running here?" Does Carly think that she's talking to a hotel manager? Of course, having prisoners getting beaten is horrible and should never happen, but Carly seems to think that a direct complaint will result in prison reform. 

Port Charles PD: Now here's where someone should wonder what kind of doofus police department they have there. 1) Cody shouldn't have been allowed to observe the interview of the doctor BUT when they were done, they should have given him a heads up to get out of the way, otherwise some kind of altercation could happen (oh my!). 2) PCPD is remarkably efficient in showing up to arrest Sasha when they seem to be out to lunch for most other emergencies.

3) Carly still complaining about Drew being in jail for the crime he (and she) committed - didn't the person who notified the SEC know he could have been killed??? I think IRL, such  relatively low-level insider trading would result in fines and sanctions, not prison time. He isn't Bernie Madoff, after all.

Edited by KittyQ
  • Like 6
20 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

"Do we really care what icing in on the cake?" Yes, we do, Sonny! Eloping doesn't mean you have to forego the cake, by the way.

Lol Sonny might think a big spectacle is a bad omen. Most of his big ceremonies didn’t end in a marriage. All of his Carly ones were tiny and on the fly and the majority of his other weddings were interrupted. The only big Sonny wedding I recall making it through the I dos was the second wedding to Brenda and that marriage ended in an explosion and lasted all of a month.

Edited by ffwbe
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

Judges being hard on criminals during election years isn’t some big controversy and I can guarantee that there would be absolutely no public outrage in the case of a rich, white man serving jail time for a white collar crime that he pled guilty to. This show is seriously delusional to think there would be some public outcry that someone like him finally had to pay. Wasn’t the max sentence either 20 or 25 years anyway? His sentencing was light compared to what he could have gotten 

this is so stupid. like. they didn't know what Insider Trading was. they didn't realize that it is a serious crime with a serious sentence,  and the judge was every much in his right to laugh at the idea that Drew was like "I want a Martha Stewart sentence please."

SHOULD he be in Pentenville, probably not - i doubt that's where white collar crime people go - but again YOU COMMITTED A CRIME. and it drives me bananas that they bend over backwards ignore the fact that had they NOT COMMITTED THE CRIME, and then double down and blackmail Tracy and Ned, and then double  double down on not just fessing up, and pay whatever hefty ass fine. then they wouldn't be in this situation to begin with.. but oh no. they want to ruin people's lives because they couldn't get away with the crime they did. 

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Michael and Carly want Alexis to run a hit piece on the judge. I hope that she's better than that

if Alexis does it she can go drop in a hole.

2 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Some of us would rather have puppies than Diamonds 🤣

i'd take a standmixer!!

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3

Well, well well, death and sex day! So bypassed all the sex. Apparently GH doesn't do privacy in the shower areas in any way! Whoever heard of a shower in the middle of the locker room with only a low barrier?

Has Ava been taken out? Will Gladys be taken out? If she is, how will that stop Dr M, since Nina doesn't know about his part in it? Will Laura take Nik out when she catches up with him, since he has not been held captive?  Will Michael ever stop telling Willow what she should and shouldn't do and when? These questions and many others will not be answered on Monday!

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

Michael swearing to Carly that if it's the last thing he does he will find out who ratted Drew and her out to the SEC as if that fucking matters in any legal way.  I just can't with this INSANE stance the show is taking where the criminals are not at fault, rather the people who turn them in. 

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Like 5
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 9
6 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Michael swearing to Carly that if it's the last thing he does he will find out who ratted Drew and her out to the SEC as if that fucking matters in any legal way.  I just with this INSANE stance the show is taking where the criminals are not at fault, rather the people who turn them in. 

Snitches get stiches!  The GH motto. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 3
3 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Michael swearing to Carly that if it's the last thing he does he will find out who ratted Drew and her out to the SEC as if that fucking matters in any legal way.  I just with this INSANE stance the show is taking where the criminals are not at fault, rather the people who turn them in. 

Even if Michael finds out who told the SEC about Carly and Drew, what's he going to do with that information? Obviously, there's no legal action that can be done, because it was the right thing to do, even if Nina's motivation wasn't pure. I daresay that a lot of these financial whistleblowers have less than ideal motives, but realistically, what's the difference? Maybe Michael will get everyone to shun Nina (again). Again, so what? 

• Like 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Carly asks the Pentonville warden: "What kind of prison are you running here?" Does Carly think that she's talking to a hotel manager? Of course, having prisoners getting beaten is horrible and should never happen, but Carly seems to think that a direct complaint will result in prison reform.

37 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Michael swearing to Carly that if it's the last thing he does he will find out who ratted Drew and her out to the SEC as if that fucking matters in any legal way. 

Kudos to the writers for their well written detailing of narcissism?

• Applause 6
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Maybe Michael will get everyone to shun Nina (again). Again, so what? 

It would sure make good leverage over Willow though, proof that she is not able to make good decisions, and needs him to decide everything for her, so she will be a good Stepford wife and follow his orders.

As I mentioned, I haven't gotten all the kids and their various fathers down yet, so don't know who Drew's daughter is, but why would he ask Willow about a kid that isn't hers? It makes sense that he would ask after her kid. Her son anyway, guess he doesn't care much about the baby!

10 minutes ago, susannah said:

As I mentioned, I haven't gotten all the kids and their various fathers down yet, so don't know who Drew's daughter is, but why would he ask Willow about a kid that isn't hers?

CM’s Drew has a pattern of only caring about kids related to Carly and ignores his own so things like this (and Willow previously saying he was a super uncle to Wiley) is glaring. Drew’s daughter Scout is Michael’s first cousin and both of Sam’s kids are constantly at the Quartermaine mansion so Willow probably sees his daughter all of the time so she would know about what’s going on with her. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Drew's daughter is Scout, Sam's child who lives with her and Dante. I don't think Sam knows yet that Drew has been attacked and is in the hospital. Jake, Drew's nephew, only seems to have found out by accident because he was at the hospital and overheard.

When Drew was saved from his two year imprisonment by Victor, he said that he only survived by focusing on Scout every day so that he could hope to live through it and come back to her.. Now it's Scout who?

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Drew's daughter is Scout, Sam's child who lives with her and Dante.

Oh thanks, I remember Sam being in a store dressing room with a little girl, and I think that is the episode when Sasha took the clothes.

My Boomer mom is watching with me and she goes, "Oh, she made him wait a very long time because she's a good girl. Not like that Jossyln and Dex." LOL

I thought it was sweet. There is only so much soaps are able to do now because of ever-shrinking budgets so I liked seeing Trina getting to wear a pretty evening grown and then going off to make love with her handsome boyfriend. That was nice. It felt like a throwback to simpler times. Since they can't afford licensed music I kind of wish they had played classical music free domain music over the scene.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, statsgirl said:

(This is such a US plotline. In other countries, judges are appointed, not elected.)

Federal judges in the US are appointed too.  (So are some state judges -- it depends on the state.) Drew was sentenced by a federal district court judge, and they're claiming the judge sentenced him extra-harshly to improve his chances of being appointed to the next level up, the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals.  Since appointments to the Circuit Courts of Appeal are generally based on how closely the potential appointee's politics and/or judicial philosophy line up with the President who would be appointing him, it's hard to believe that any individual sentence -- especially one like this, a white-collar crime with a clearly guilty defendant -- would have any impact on his chances.  So it's typical bad GH writing, but has nothing to do with judges being elected.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
13 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I really don't like how they're writing this trip: Trina is the wide-eyed newbie and Spencer is the experienced man-about-town. More ugh. Trina, get impressed when Spencer has arranged a behind-the-scenes tour of the Met, not when he had rose petals strewn over the bed. Good grief.

I haven't seen it yet—I'm waiting for a 45-minute period over the weekend when there's Absolutely Nothing Better to Do—but that's about what I was expecting. I know Trina is a college student, but as currently portrayed by TA, she seems about 15, and it's influencing every decision made. I just can't.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Drew's daughter is Scout, Sam's child who lives with her and Dante. I don't think Sam knows yet that Drew has been attacked and is in the hospital. Jake, Drew's nephew, only seems to have found out by accident because he was at the hospital and overheard.

I'm assuming that she doesn't know. She took her phone out a couple of times. If she had missed messages or texts because she was tied up with the Sasha situation, I imagine that there would have been a line about how Carly called and she'll call her later or something.

The Carlys vortex is worst than a black hole.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

My Boomer mom is watching with me and she goes, "Oh, she made him wait a very long time because she's a good girl. Not like that Jossyln and Dex." LOL

I thought it was sweet. There is only so much soaps are able to do now because of ever-shrinking budgets so I liked seeing Trina getting to wear a pretty evening grown and then going off to make love with her handsome boyfriend. That was nice. It felt like a throwback to simpler times. Since they can't afford licensed music I kind of wish they had played classical music free domain music over the scene.

Hahaha! My mom also makes similar comments about Jex. 

As a Sprina fan, I loved it! I know most don’t like them here so I wasn’t planning on commenting but I thought it was sweet too! It was also romantic and sexy. It was Trina’s first time so I thought it hit all the right beats! Very beautiful love scene if you ask me but then I like this pairing and think they have a ton of chemistry. I did like the song they used and the montage earlier in the episode. I was a happy viewer yesterday! 

• Like 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, lala2 said:

Hahaha! My mom also makes similar comments about Jex. 

As a Sprina fan, I loved it! I know most don’t like them here so I wasn’t planning on commenting but I thought it was sweet too! It was also romantic and sexy. It was Trina’s first time so I thought it hit all the right beats! Very beautiful love scene if you ask me but then I like this pairing and think they have a ton of chemistry. I did like the song they used and the montage earlier in the episode. I was a happy viewer yesterday! 

I thought it was beautiful and sweet too.  And on a shallow note I thought they both looked amazing.  When Trina took off her dress I was like, damn girl!  She looked amazing.  And NAC shirtless?  Well, I am always down for that.  I have no complaints now that it's finally happened.  

• Like 2
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, CeChase said:

I thought it was beautiful and sweet too.  And on a shallow note I thought they both looked amazing.  When Trina took off her dress I was like, damn girl!  She looked amazing.  And NAC shirtless?  Well, I am always down for that.  I have no complaints now that it's finally happened.  

Girl……right?!? I could look at his body all day! LOL! 

But yeah…I thought they both looked great too! I loved when he took off her shoes and when he picked her up! I also liked her pushing him down! It was just incredibly sweet and romantic to me. I loved all the NY scenes actually. No wrong beats or moments for me. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 9/29/2023 at 12:27 AM, susannah said:

I know what you meant, and IMO it wasn't about race, or "bowing and scraping." The "important" character was set as "wrongfully imprisoned," therefore the grave injustice committed against him must be rectified. The races of the warden and lawyer don't factor into that scenario but people can inject whatever viewpoint they want to. 

It seemed quite tone deaf. But because it was all subtext, it's of course natural that viewers will differ about what those layers are, or whether they exist at all. I thought it was a drag; you didn't. Pax.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, lala2 said:

It was Trina’s first time

It was Trina's first time with Spencer; she's had sex before, I believe. (And if she hasn't, that's another knock on the writing for me. Why is the woman always the virgin? At least Joss and Cam were on equal footing as far as that goes.)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, dubbel zout said:

It was Trina's first time with Spencer; she's had sex before, I believe. (And if she hasn't, that's another knock on the writing for me. Why is the woman always the virgin? At least Joss and Cam were on equal footing as far as that goes.)

No, she hasn’t. It was her first time in general. They established that with SM’s Trina but Sprina talked about her virginity at the gallery when she wanted to have sex but Spencer told her he wanted her first time to be special and not when she was upset about her mom. They also spoke about her virginity on the HS. Again, Spencer said he imagined it differently but Trina said the only important thing was that it was with him. They were about to do it but the boat docked so they stopped. And she and Joss were talking about it earlier this week. 

The very first Trina seemed experienced as she spoke to Josslyn about sex but they walked that back when SM got the role. Trina has been a virgin for a few years now, and that’s fine with me. Not everyone has sex in high school or even college. Spencer is not super experienced. He’s only had sex with Esme. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

That the very first Trina, party animal and the one who told Cam who to talk to for the pot that he wanted to get to help Oscar out. They retconned all of this with they reintroduced the character. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

And Joss had condoms in her backpack that belonged to Trina.  Then they retconned.

From GH Wiki:

Trina Robinson is the best friend of Josslyn Jacks and good friend of Cameron Webber. Trina was known as a 'bad girl' and is first seen throwing an unsupervised party with underage drinking and boys at Josslyn's house. Trina also invited a new student, Oscar Nero, who she knew Josslyn had a crush on. Josslyn and Oscar started talking at the party and began a relationship soon after.

In 2018, Trina was dating a junior and hid some condoms in Josslyn's backpack so Trina's mother wouldn't find them. They fell out of Josslyn's backpack in front of Carly and Josslyn was forced to tell her mom the truth.

• Useful 3
42 minutes ago, lala2 said:

It was her first time in general. They established that with SM’s Trina

I must have blocked that out. How disappointing Trina is a virgin. Not because there's anything wrong with being a virgin—there isn't! Everyone is a virgin until they have sex!—but because this fakakta show is once again reinforcing patriarchal and gender stereotypes.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I really don't like how they're writing this trip: Trina is the wide-eyed newbie and Spencer is the experienced man-about-town. More ugh. Trina, get impressed when Spencer has arranged a behind-the-scenes tour of the Met, not when he had rose petals strewn over the bed.

I disagree.  It was meant to convey romance and thoughtfulness.  A BTS tour would just be Spencer using his privilege to impress Trina.  I thought their scenes were very sweet.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I must have blocked that out. How disappointing Trina is a virgin. Not because there's anything wrong with being a virgin—there isn't! Everyone is a virgin until they have sex!—but because this fakakta show is once again reinforcing patriarchal and gender stereotypes.

I don't see it as much as reinforcing patriarchal and gender stereotypes as them retconning Trina when they decided who her parents were going to be. They brought her on full time, then her mother and father. Plus as Joss's best friend, she had to have Carly's seal of approval since god forbid Carly and Joss ever disagree on or fight over anything.

I think they just wanted Trina to fit the Carlys mold. 

• Fire 2

It makes sense that Spencer is more sexually experienced than Trina, she's never had a serious boyfriend as far as we know, he was on boarding school (a hotbed of teenage sexual activity) and was in  relationship with Esme. (This is the real icky stereotype, the bad girl who seduced Spencer in order to manipulate him.)

Hopefully they can now stop writing Trina as 15 years old in terms of her relationship with Spencer while writing her as 25 in terms of her career and relationships with the other people in her life. (Except Curtis, she acts like she's 10 and fatherless in relation to him.)

• Like 2

But Spencer is not that sexually experienced. He’s only slept with Esme. That is what was established on the show. He wasn’t in multiple relationships while at boarding school. He’s had one sexual partner. To me, they aren’t that far apart. 

I also agree that Trina was retconned when the found a permanent hire for her and decided to actually develop the character. I don’t think it had anything to do with Carly though but who knows? 

• Like 6

Spencer also only had 1 previous sexual partner- Esme. He’s not super experienced himself. Idk Trina is only 21, being a virgin at that age isn’t exactly out of the norm. Most of my friend group didn’t lose their virginity until college

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
17 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

The entire trip to New York is Spencer using his privilege to impress Trina.

I see it as him wanting to take her on an awesome trip. I don’t think he was trying to impress her. He’s a prince. She knows he has money/wealth. He just wanted her to have an enjoyable weekend. She chose NY so he just made the plans. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, lala2 said:

I see it as him wanting to take her on an awesome trip. I don’t think he was trying to impress her. He’s a prince. She knows he has money/wealth. He just wanted her to have an enjoyable weekend. She chose NY so he just made the plans. 

if i had a boyfriend, I wouldn't mind one bit if he used everything to impress me with it. (though again I'd be happy with a standmixer - better to make cookies with!!)

i mean admittedly, again - I'm not the kind of person to see.. i guess in this situation - stereotypes, etc. I don't think it's out of the realm in any kind of story if the girl/woman is less experienced/a virgin than a boy/man - because most times, that's the case. Girls may develop emotionally faster than boys, but sexually female sex drives take longer to develop. so 9x10 if you were to tell me a 19-21 year old+ year old woman was a virgin  over a 19-21 male i wouldn't bat an eye [but again, I don't really see things that way either]

If this was reverse - and it was like Outlander (Jaime being the innocent virgin and Clair being the sexual master) - the ultimate goal of them being together would be just as YAY to me. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, susannah said:

I hope you get your standmixer! 😀

i am hoping Black Friday/Christmas will finally be the year. :D but with the show. I don't really have an issue at all with Spencer giving Trina a night to remember with all the financial fixings he can muster.  there are sometimes [a lot of times] when Spencer crosses the line thinking he can make moves by using his name etc and there are times where to me it seems that's what people do. this is one of those times where i feel this is what people do to charm the people they love.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

The entire trip to New York is Spencer using his privilege to impress Trina.

But the notion that she shouldn't love the roses as a romantic gesture?  Like I said, to me that showed a thoughtfulness.  YMMV.

ETA: Just chatted with my mom about the episode and her comment was "THAT was the best hotel room set the show could afford?  Did they spend all their money on that stupid pool?"

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Like 6
  • LOL 9
18 hours ago, CeChase said:

He’s taken his shirt off a gang of times now.  Did you miss those episodes?

Anyway.  I didn’t watch the love scene and I won’t because love scenes are awkward.  Especially with these two who have no chemistry and don’t know how to kiss.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

ETA: Just chatted with my mom about the episode and her comment was "THAT was the best hotel room set the show could afford?  Did they spend all their money on that stupid pool?"

They probably spent it on that Pentonville set so that Carly and Drew can have a nice chat in a nice set where the only thing missing was a barista and a milk bar.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 4
  • LOL 8
2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

They probably spent it on that Pentonville set so that Carly and Drew can have a nice chat in a nice set where the only thing missing was a barista and a milk bar.

Yep, that was my comeback!  The non-Carlys get the leftover money.  Sprina was probably this close to having Trina and Joss's dorm room repurposed.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
14 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

YMMV.

It does, lol. Maybe I'm just an old crone with a piece of coal where my heart should be.

To beat my dead horse one last time, I think Spencer arranging a BTS tour of one of Trina's Big 4 museums would have been super thoughtful, given her love of art. 

14 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Right? I mentioned earlier how fully the room was. I can't believe the show didn't put a tiny bit more effort into the set dressing. 

49 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

To beat my dead horse one last time, I think Spencer arranging a BTS tour of one of Trina's Big 4 museums would have been super thoughtful, given her love of art. 

that would have been nice too. 

49 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It does, lol. Maybe I'm just an old crone with a piece of coal where my heart should be.

awww nah. you just see things differently, which is totally okay it's what causes discussions and debates and we all love those. trust me there are a lot of things that happen (on different shows) that make me feel that way but again it's just how we see the world. and I don't think there is anything wrong w/that. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

Re: the museums . . . . we just saw the first night though. When she mentioned wanting to see the Big 4, he said he was happy to hear that. She asked him what he was planning and he was about to tell her when the person came w/the food and the champagne. They never revisited that conversation but it led me to think he may have something planned w/r/t those museums. I don't know if we're getting another night w/them in NY (this fan hopes so) but we may learn that he did get her a BTS tour of a museum or something equally nice and art-related. I guess we'll see. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Now that Trina and Spencer have had sex, how long before she has a pregnancy scare/gets pregnant? We know Molly and TJ's surrogate won't carry this embryo to term, and the show always has at least one pregnancy going on at any moment.

As much as I despise pregnancies, a Trina/Spencer baby has some genuine dramatic possibilities if the show wants to mine them. (Ha! As if!)

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

you just see things differently

How tactful of you, @Daisy! What disappoints me about this story is that it's such a giant cliché from start to finish. Rich boy sweeps girlfriend off her feet for a trip to the big city (which, LOL, they don't even have to leave the state!), wines and dines her, takes her to a show, then they have rhapsodic sex complete with rose petals. Zzzz. No imagination, sigh.

• Like 2