Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Woman Down

jewel21
  • Start Topic

When one of Chastain's own is brought into the emergency room with life-threatening injuries, the staff rallies around each other to try to save her life, while disagreements over how to best handle her care put Cain at odds with the rest of the doctors. Also, Bell is met with an unexpected response when he voices concerns regarding the nursing shortage that Nic brought to his attention. Meanwhile, Conrad turns heads when he shares data about Hemopleatin, and Kyle begins volunteering at the hospital.

Airdate: 11/19/2019

I like Jessica so I'm glad they let her live, despite the improbable odds. Happy they gave Dr. Feldman a chance to emote. 

What's tricky Papa Nevin up to? It's got to be more than just wanting to be around Nicole.

I so love the Raptor and the bond he has now with Conrad. Of course Conrad saves the day, again, but I adore M.C. so it's all good. 

Dr. Cain is more evil than than the other evils that have come before him on this show. He and the new V.P. are a menacing combo.

• Love 4

So Cain and Red Rock are the big bads this season? It’s all about big bad corporate skimping on the nurses to make a ton of money. It happens in the real world and makes me sick. I wish they didn’t make Cain such a villain.

So glad Jessica lived. The actor that plays Feldman did a fantastic job. Still loving the Conrad and Raptor bromance.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Arkay said:

Dr. Cain is more evil than than the other evils that have come before him on this show. He and the new V.P. are a menacing combo.

I'd have to still give Lane Hunter the edge on that.  As bad as Cain is, he doesn't seem to be actively trying to kill his patients.

7 hours ago, Arkay said:

What's tricky Papa Nevin up to? It's got to be more than just wanting to be around Nicole.

My mom volunteers at the local hospital.  There is no way a volunteer with no medical training would have been as involved with the patients as Daddy Nevin seems to be.  And if he's thinking he can somehow get access to records that will prove his case for Jessie -- well, that's not going to happen.

7 hours ago, twoods said:

The actor that plays Feldman did a fantastic job.

I wonder why they don't make the actor a regular.  He's been in nearly every episode yet still gets the guest star billing.  He actually appears more often than Jane Leeves' character (although I assume the number of episodes she appears in is part of the contract she negotiated).    

• Love 2

I am super glad that Jessica is, at least, awake. She may not be 100% but she's awake and I was worried that maybe they'd actually kill her or leave her in a coma or something.

Tasso Feldman killed it in this episode. I felt really bad for Irving throughout the entire episode. I'm also glad they had a legitimate reason for him to be the medical proxy for Jessica. Having her parents in Europe and on their way back worked out well. Plus, I can imagine they showed up in between a couple of the last scenes. 

Cain is awful. He's about as bad as Lane Hunter, maybe only marginally less so. She obviously killed people, but Cain doesn't care about his patients. He could have ended up killing Jessica just by rushing her into surgery when her body wasn't ready. He almost killed her had he not let Conrad and Mina hook her up to that machine to help clot her blood. So, sure, he hasn't killed anyone....yet, but he's well on his way to that. So, if he's not quite on the level of awful as Lane was, he's pretty damn close. 

Him and his Red Rock minion actually make me angry. This show IS pretty good at creating some actual punchable villains. But again, there's no reason why anyone would want to go to Chastain at this point. It seems like they have a major crisis every six months. 

Bell has become a much better character since season 1, and he was also killing patients due to his negligence over his own health. I appreciated what he did for Conrad because he couldn't help Jessica in the way that he wanted to. And he also helped to get more nurses, so yay!

Papa Nevins...no way would he be interacting with the patients in the way that he did. At the very least, he'd have someone else with him since it was his first day. 

They really need to find a new angle that's not "let's create another Big Bad Villain trying to kill patients!" I'd like to move into something less Big Bad Corporation-related and maybe find a few more hopeful and optimistic storylines. I like this show because they're not afraid to dive into the nasty side of the medical business, but it does feel like it's a bit too much. 

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Papa Nevins...no way would he be interacting with the patients in the way that he did. At the very least, he'd have someone else with him since it was his first day. 

That made me so confused. Someone gave him that red vest. Why weren't they training him? How is that Nic's job? He could still have run into Nic and her new nurse in the lobby and still been in the room with the one patient but it wouldn't have to be on Nic to oversee him. Just have an extra who doesn't talk, also in a red vest with him a couple of times we see him.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, vibeology said:

That made me so confused. Someone gave him that red vest. Why weren't they training him? How is that Nic's job? He could still have run into Nic and her new nurse in the lobby and still been in the room with the one patient but it wouldn't have to be on Nic to oversee him. Just have an extra who doesn't talk, also in a red vest with him a couple of times we see him.

Nic gave him the red vest. There was no one else available [for training] due to the nurse shortage that was not as yet resolved.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, preeya said:

Nic gave him the red vest. There was no one else available [for training] due to the nurse shortage that was not as yet resolved.

Actually, I remember him taking it out of his bag. He told Nic that he was a volunteer and Nic decided to let him tag along with her and her student nurse. 

• Love 9

Ah, this show, still as subtle as a hammer to the face. Can we get Cain and Finance Guy some glue-on mustaches to twirl as they hatch their eeeeeevil money schemes in the next episode? Someone noted upthread that they're really good at supremely punchable villains, which is true, but where they get high marks for that, they score real low on nuance. The only even minorly layered antagonist was Bell, and he's practically a boy scout now, though they have given Bruce Greenwood more meat in that he's often wedged between his desire to do good and his intense impulsiveness. Usually, the Good Guys are unarguably good, and the Bad Guys are pure Snidely Whiplash. You'll get a subplot that gets skimmed every so often, like the ongoing disagreement between Conrad and Devon about the most ethical ways to practice medicine, but it rarely goes anywhere. It bums me out sometimes. They do layered stories incredibly well when they allow themselves to.

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Tasso Feldman killed it in this episode. I felt really bad for Irving throughout the entire episode. I'm also glad they had a legitimate reason for him to be the medical proxy for Jessica. Having her parents in Europe and on their way back worked out well. Plus, I can imagine they showed up in between a couple of the last scenes. 

He really did. Irving clearly loves the hell out of Jessica, and while it's a common thing (both on TV and IRL) to not really think much about the depth of your feelings for someone until you might lose them, it was done so well here. My heart bled for the guy, and I'm glad he'll have the chance to tell her. 

• Love 3

I have to say that Morris Chestnut is less 'wooden' as a villain than I've found him on other shows as the good guy, so there's that. I still got strong 'Vogler' (the evil business man from House) vibes from the Red Rock subplot, and I HATED Vogler.

• Love 2

Granted, I'm not always paying attention when I watch this show, but I only remember Jessica from an episode when she confronted Feldman for being ashamed to be seen with her.   I didn't know she was so beloved by everyone.

• Love 1

This was a good episode. To solve the "Who's worse?" debate - the answer is clearly Hunter - she actively harmed her patients. Yes, Cain is fast and loose and endangers patients, but he isn't trying to kill them like Hunter.

• Love 5
On November 20, 2019 at 3:37 PM, Ohwell said:

Granted, I'm not always paying attention when I watch this show, but I only remember Jessica from an episode when she confronted Feldman for being ashamed to be seen with her.   I didn't know she was so beloved by everyone.

That's what I love about her character. We haven't really had too much character development with Jessica, but just that she's a big girl on TV, and a good guy loves her, makes me very glad that they didn't kill her off. I thought that was going to be the plan once the pretty nurse trainee arrived. 

• Love 3

Where have I seen the nurse trainee before?

A patient getting violent with the staff ... unfortunately I think that happens all of the time. The last time I was in the ER, they actually had a poster up about it, saying how just because you are sick and in pain does not give you the right to assault staff. (I know that many people are not "in their right" mind and are not totally in control of what they do, but still ...)

I liked Nik and Conrad's moment together when he told her he didn't know what he would do if that had been her in the accident. 

• Love 1
On 11/22/2019 at 12:43 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Where have I seen the nurse trainee before?

A patient getting violent with the staff ... unfortunately I think that happens all of the time. The last time I was in the ER, they actually had a poster up about it, saying how just because you are sick and in pain does not give you the right to assault staff. (I know that many people are not "in their right" mind and are not totally in control of what they do, but still ...)

I liked Nik and Conrad's moment together when he told her he didn't know what he would do if that had been her in the accident. 

Is this her? https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1384666/?ref_=tt_cl_t10

• Love 1

So Jessica lives to fight another day.  I'm sure this will be the catalyst for Irving to propose.  Yeah, I don't know what Nic's father is up to but it's not just altruistic--working in the hospital.  Just happy Connic seem to be on solid footing with no drama, for the moment.

Cain - you knew he was replacing Bell as the big, baddie, arrogant but brilliant doctor.  They're making it too easy to despise him and his new sidekick, CEO of Redrock.  I though Cain might have called out Mena (in surgery) as he did with Conrad but clearly, he wants Conrad gone.  Cain doesn't want anyone challenging or questioning him and will do whatever's necessary to stay top dog.  Conrad's not going anywhere.

Still loving the dynamic between Raptor and Mena.   I figured Raptor and Cain would have come to a head but yeah, Raptor and Conrad have become collaborative partners and good friends.

On 11/20/2019 at 9:26 AM, Lady Calypso said:

They really need to find a new angle that's not "let's create another Big Bad Villain trying to kill patients!" I'd like to move into something less Big Bad Corporation-related and maybe find a few more hopeful and optimistic storylines. I like this show because they're not afraid to dive into the nasty side of the medical business, but it does feel like it's a bit too much. 

THIS ^^ which is why I've become disappointed and frustrated with this show and others.  It's the same recycled storylines I've seen on other shows.  I've even heard exact lines from other shows being said🙄.   I want intelligently written dialogue, intriguing storylines, etc,. but I'm starting to feel all I'm getting is regurgitated stories from other, older shows.

• Love 6
On 11/20/2019 at 9:26 AM, Lady Calypso said:

I'm also glad they had a legitimate reason for him to be the medical proxy for Jessica. Having her parents in Europe and on their way back worked out well.

I'm just glad they actually addressed the issue of contacting Jessica's family! I can't count how many shows I've watched where a young person is critically ill/injured, and you don't see any parents, siblings, friends, etc., just their coworkers (who are coincidentally main characters on the show and would already have been there), Yeah, I know that it's probably a pain to cast a zillion extras, but you'd think they could try to be a tiny bit realistic. While it's true that there are young people who are all alone in the world, it isn't typical for most not to have at least somebody.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SnarkySheep said:

I'm just glad they actually addressed the issue of contacting Jessica's family!

So am I.  One of my TV pet peeves is a plot hole that could have been fixed with a line of dialogue.  Refreshing that they wrote the line.

• Love 2