Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Safety

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

19 minutes ago, auntlada said:

What was the original bombing he was a suspect in? Something at UCLA maybe?

Yes, I think they said "the 2009 UCLA bombing"

11 minutes ago, chaifan said:

OK, one more quibble... what woman tells her boyfriend that she might be pregnant, just when she's late?  Especially people of that age.  Go to the drug store, get a pregnancy test, take it, and then you let the boyfriend know.  That way you're worrying about only one thing at a time - the results - and if it's positive, then you worry about the boyfriend's response.  But Jessica makes a special trip to Nolan's house in the morning, just to say, hey, I'm late.  He should break up with her just for that. 

Yes, it would make sense to verify first.

Though I don't think she made a special trip - I think she was sleeping there. She said (at the end) that she'd come back and get her things when Nolan wasn't there.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, chaifan said:

But tell me if I got this wrong... Chen was following the worn areas of the floor boards to avoid the weight-sensor plates.  But didn't the guy activate the plates by playing with the security panel on the wall?  So it's not like he had to avoid them for 10 years - they simply were turned off all that time.

Maybe he leaves them turned on when he's away from the house, in case anyone ever tried to search it while he was out? So he would need to detour past the pressure plates each time he came home to get to the security panel and disarm them.

2 hours ago, Blue Plastic said:

Plus he didn't seem like a guy who would care about feeding squirrels at all.  Maybe he did it because he knew he was flouting an ordinance, but that seems like it would be small potatoes to a bomber.  Maybe he just likes to irritate people before he blows them up!?

It seemed like maybe they were planning to do a little more with his character - in addition to the squirrels, they made a point of repeatedly showing piles of books around the house, and there was the fatalism of the 'I've been waiting 10 years for someone to come arrest me' bit. There were a lot of plots in this episode, I could see something getting cut.

Edited by Emma9
  • Love 1

It was the "three days late" that bothered me.  About half of all pregnancies miscarry naturally . That was why In My Day we were told not to mention a pregnancy until we were past the three month point, because the pregnancy didn't last that long.
I personally suspect that a lot of the corcerns young women have about being "infertile" are based on that simple fact. She took a test when she was a few days late. The next day the (quite real) pregnancy miscarried.

The Pill is about 91% effective. The IUD about 99% in part because it doesn't allow implantation.
I think she was perhaps unconsciously wanting to get pregnant and got sloppy with the pills or replacing a patch.

Nolan needs to get the snip asap.

Generally, I like having a lot of stories rushing past. And how they are thematically tied.

Wacky fun! - Hoban Washburne

• Love 3
10 hours ago, auntlada said:

So the question is where exactly the trash cans were. I couldn't tell. Were they in a driveway or an alley or near the edge of the property in what might be a right-of-way?

It looked like they were in a fenced-in side yard, which would make the search illegal.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, chaifan said:

OK, one more quibble... what woman tells her boyfriend that she might be pregnant, just when she's late?  Especially people of that age.  Go to the drug store, get a pregnancy test, take it, and then you let the boyfriend know.  That way you're worrying about only one thing at a time - the results - and if it's positive, then you worry about the boyfriend's response.  But Jessica makes a special trip to Nolan's house in the morning, just to say, hey, I'm late.  He should break up with her just for that. 

She didn't make a special trip to Nolan's house to tell him, she spent the night. It was morning, he was making her breakfast, she came out of the bedroom to head to work. 

I can't imagine not telling the boyfriend that there's a possible issue. It takes two to tango, let him sweat it too. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 11/11/2019 at 10:49 AM, chaifan said:

I only liked the Chen/Nyla scenes in this episode.  But tell me if I got this wrong... Chen was following the worn areas of the floor boards to avoid the weight-sensor plates.  But didn't the guy activate the plates by playing with the security panel on the wall?  So it's not like he had to avoid them for 10 years - they simply were turned off all that time.

But he'd like to know where he needs to walk in the event that he has to turn them on. Which would likely be in a highly stressful situation.

21 hours ago, paigow said:

Harper & Chen cracked a 10 year old domestic terrorism case....Governor going to hand out challenge coins?

While I don't know if "golden tickets" or "challenge coins" exist in LAPD country, I took a class in high school taught in part by an NYPD beat cop. He said that if you make a big arrest, you can get promoted to detective, or you could ask for a better post. A friend of his chose the latter and wanted to work on Staten Island near the ferry which is historically a low crime area. Maybe Chen will be offered the opportunity to choose her own T.O. Of course, she would stick w/ Bradford. It's a shame that she already can be in short sleeves, because that would have made a nice perk of the arrest.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Blue Plastic said:

Yeah, I didn't quite get the logic of the worn floorboards indicating where the plates are since surely he wouldn't have them turned on enough to to make him walk in the "safe spots" often enough to wear off the wood, but whatever.  I don't have any solid info to back this up but would guess he would have to "practice walk" multiple times a day every day for the 10 years to build a visible, distinct enough pattern to show where it's safe to walk as opposed to just general normal wear.  Just guessing?

She got the idea to walk on the worn out floorboards when he mentioned something to the effect of how old the building was/how long he had been there. And she then saw that the floorboards were a mix of really old and worn out floorboards and semi-newish floorboards. Therefore, she deduced that the pressure plates were underneath only the semi-newish floorboards because THOSE floorbaords likely meant that they were replaced when he put in the pressure plates so it might be safe to walk only on the really old and worn out floorboards.

It was a Hail Mary but, in theory, it's the most plausible thing she could do in the moment.

• Useful 5
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, Charlemagne said:

It was a Hail Mary but, in theory, it's the most plausible thing she could do in the moment.

She could have put two in his head.  And that flimsy wall he was standing behind would have had all the effect of tissue paper, had she decided to shoot through it.

Edited by Netfoot
Spellling
6 hours ago, Netfoot said:

She could have put two in his head.  And that flimsy wall he was standing behind would have had all the effect of tissue paper, had she decided to shoot through it.

But wouldn't Chen need to at least have x-ray vision to shoot someone in the head through a wall? 
And, couldn't a gunshot ignite a bomb? I don't know if it would (that factoid did not appear on the School of L&O final exam), but even if it couldn't, isn't that something Chen might have considered?

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
8 hours ago, Netfoot said:

But wouldn't Chen need to at least have x-ray vision to shoot someone in the head through a wall? 
And, couldn't a gunshot ignite a bomb? I don't know if it would (that factoid did not appear on the School of L&O final exam), but even if it couldn't, isn't that something Chen might have considered?

It seems to me that it might not be the best idea to shoot the person (even if you can see them) whose hands are literally on a bomb w/o knowing exactly at what stage of preparedness the bomb is. It might be at a point where it could serve as a dead man's switch - whether or not that's what the bomber is ultimately going for.

• Love 3
On 11/13/2019 at 4:43 PM, Clanstarling said:

It seems to me that it might not be the best idea to shoot the person (even if you can see them) whose hands are literally on a bomb w/o knowing exactly at what stage of preparedness the bomb is...

Chen: Stop what you are doing or I will shoot!

Bomber: That would be bad for both of us....but since you are not Angelina Jolie from Wanted, it does not matter anyway.

Chen: hhmmm...that movie is old, omg.....

• LOL 4
On 11/11/2019 at 10:49 AM, chaifan said:

What was the point of Bradford and West going to the football camp?  And do hospitals really have cops show up to show pregnant women how to install car seats? 

I know the theme was going out into the community, but jeez! Do football camps really warrant taking cops off the street in a place like LA? I would think that would be something for off-duty officers. And is the best use of Chen's time knocking on people's doors to scold them for feeding squirrels?

On 11/11/2019 at 6:09 PM, chaifan said:

Agreed. I don't buy Jessica's "never" having been late or off cycle. Even women who are pretty regular have occasionally started a cycle a day or two early or late, simply because human bodies are quirky. Plus, it's well known that stress can play a large part, and Jessica seems to have had a career that would reasonably include a lot of stress. 

Yeah, being off-cycle happens. But if she's become concerned enough to take a test, then it's time to include the dude. First, if she's pregnant, he obviously was 50% of that, so he should be involved. Second, it's better for him in that it gives him the chance to consider and prepare for the possibility instead of having it dumped on him as a confirmed reality. Third, it's better for her in that she'll have gotten a good idea of what his attitude would be should an unplanned pregnancy happen for real - and accordingly, whether she should stop sleeping with him.

Just finished the episode and It pisses me off that Jessica is leaving like that, it made no sense that whole pregnancy conversation between two adults. 

What pisses me off even more is that this will most likely be just an excuse for Nolan to go date Ali’s character now... sigh... 

I really liked watching Nolan and Jessica slowly building the house and getting more serious. These shows always have to jump love interests, so boring and irritating cause you get invested in the characters.

I hope Jessica comes back, loved Sarah Shahi in the L Word.

On 1/24/2020 at 10:45 PM, Navras said:

Just finished the episode and It pisses me off that Jessica is leaving like that, it made no sense that whole pregnancy conversation between two adults. 

What pisses me off even more is that this will most likely be just an excuse for Nolan to go date Ali’s character now... sigh... 

I really liked watching Nolan and Jessica slowly building the house and getting more serious. These shows always have to jump love interests, so boring and irritating cause you get invested in the characters.

I hope Jessica comes back, loved Sarah Shahi in the L Word.

It may not have been a strict storyline decision by the TR writers since Sarah Shahi was just given the lead role in a new Netflix dramedy. Highly possible she would no longer be available, it may have been completely out of their control. 

• Love 1