Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Zebra

While the other interns battle over who gets the patient with a fascinating and rare problem, Carol's standard, run-of-the-mill case turns out to be something more than it seems; Daniel makes a crucial mistake that gets Dr. Jacobs's attention.

Airdate: Thursday, October 10, 2019

This hasn't aired yet so I'm just going by the description. It's going to get old (no pun intended) if all the episodes involve Carol assigned the "boring" jobs but she finds a condition that experienced doctors missed and become the hero.

Even characters in medical dramas are wrong once in a while, or need help. It shows they are human which is why we root for them.

Hopefully the episode is better than the description but based on the few previous episodes........

• Love 2

I'm not a health professional, but I enjoyed the episode. I probably liked this one the most out of the three that have aired so far. I'm warming up to the characters and while Carol is still the most annoying, she's not grating as much as she did in the first episode. I think I like the gray-haired doctor the most, he's hilarious, heh. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

That was bad. That was so so bad. Sorry, I can’t even. 

As a medical professional all I can say is: that was so so bad.

Tonight was the first chance I had to watch this and I agree with your assessment 100%. Did not laugh even once. Found the show totally unrealistic. I got to the 22 minute mark before I deleted it from my DVR.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I thought it was funny.  Still getting to know the characters. I like the gray-haired doc, and the male black nurse, but I need to learn names!

When the group was in the patient's room, and Carol flipped back the sheets to show the feet and ankles, and then left them flipped back, I was yelling at the TV, cover his feet!  Cause I hate when my feet are bare and get cold!

The running gag about the blueberry muffin was cute, and the doc's explanation made sense. 

I've watched a lot of bad sitcoms in my day, and this is far from the worst.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 5

I think the problem is that on "Everybody Loves Raymond" and "The Middle", Patricia Heaton wasn't the "star"---she was part of an ensemble, so while she might have an episode revolving around her, she could also essentially "disappear" from an episode (that is, episodes revolving mostly around the other characters). In this show, she is the "star"--everything revolves around her and I don't think that's her strong suit. Or maybe it's that the other characters aren't strong enough to carry their own story (they seem to be in forgettable B- or C- plots). So, naturally, since she's the star (after all, it is "Carol's Second Act"), it mostly revolves around her and she must be victorious.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, wellread said:

I was surprised, to say the least, when the older doctor told Carol to quickly find a typewriter and write up her zebra case.  A typewriter?  In 2019?

I thought that the lady was being snarky to Carol, as if she's so old that she wouldn't have a computer or computing skills.   Being close to Carol's age, I don't consider her "old."  It bothers me a little bit to see the condescension towards her by some of the other characters.  Sadly, my Mom (who is in her late 80's) said that people tend to treat her like she's stupid, so they're really not off base on how they're portraying how some younger people treat older folks.  Sigh. 

I just happened onto this show and thought it was kind of cute.   I got caught up on CBS on Demand, so I'll tune in a few more times and give it a shot (pun intended!)  

• Love 6

I DVR'd the first two episodes and thought I had set it to record all episodes, but I must not have. It appears that they've locked in their formula of "Carol is always right in her 'old lady' wisdom," so that's dull. I don't care for Patricia Heaton anyway -- both as an actress (she always plays a bitch) and as a person -- so I'm thinking it's not worth it to stay.

Jean-Luc Bilodeau was hot in "Baby Daddy," but his hotness was often eclipsed by the even hotter Derek Theler. At least here he gets to be the hot one.

I didn't realize the tall nerdy doctor was Jimmy from "Raising Hope." Is he really that tall or is it just that the people they've paired him with are that short?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

I DVR'd the first two episodes and thought I had set it to record all episodes, but I must not have. It appears that they've locked in their formula of "Carol is always right in her 'old lady' wisdom," so that's dull.

Although she has many more years of experience to draw on than her younger counterparts, they've also shown that she was wrong in having a CT scan done on one of her patients.  Her hunch of what she thought was wrong with the lady was incorrect.  Hopefully they'll balance out her lifetime smarts with the mistakes she'll inevitably make being a new doctor.  That way she won't seem like a know-it-all.  Having said that though, being an "old lady" with some wisdom myself, I can relate to certain aspects of her character.   

I didn't care for her character on Everybody Loves Raymond either, but I thought I'd give this show a chance.  I need something to replace some of my shows that ended!  Seeing Cedric Yarbrough from Speechless was a nice surprise.  I'm not sure if he'll be a regular or not, but it's good to see him again. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, wellread said:

I was surprised, to say the least, when the older doctor told Carol to quickly find a typewriter and write up her zebra case.  A typewriter?  In 2019?

It was the older male doctor played by Kyle Maclachlan who said that. I believe the typewriter reference was supposed to be funny because his character is supposed to be old-school. He had made some other out-of-touch reference earlier in the episode...i hate that I can't remember what it was.

So far, Kyle Maclachlan is the best part of the show to me.  I am not sure if I like Carol or not.  She's being pretty inconsistent so far.  Second episode, she was very concerned about her patient. This episode she was super insensitive to her patient. I'd like to see some consistency.

I tried to watch it (again), I got through half the episode and gave up (again).  It is terrible.  Why Kyle MacLauchlan wanted to be on this show I have no idea.  I think it's really, really hard to do a half comedy/half drama medical show in front of a studio audience   Visually, it looks terrible to me.  I can just see the sets when I look at it.  It's not funny, it's not dramatic, it's not really anything but bad.  They need to do a fast re-vamp or it might not make it to the end of the year.  Given Patricia Heaton's record of successful series, this is a big disappointment.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, deaja said:

So far, Kyle Maclachlan is the best part of the show to me.  I am not sure if I like Carol or not.  She's being pretty inconsistent so far.  Second episode, she was very concerned about her patient. This episode she was super insensitive to her patient. I'd like to see some consistency.

I see all of the bad things, but in spite of it all , I enjoy it. Who can say why ? 🤷‍♀️

• Love 6

I want to like this show and will continue to watch in the hopes it will get better, but after viewing the first 3 eps, it's making it very difficult for me.

I just can't with Dr. Jacobs.  She's downright verbally and emotionally abusive.  What boss - especially in this climate where companies have to walk on eggshells when it comes to how to speak and act around employees, as someone who works in HR can attest to - would shame, manipulate and guilt their subordinate into taking time out of their job in order to.....wait for it.....replace a blueberry muffin he ate by accident?  Regardless whether or not he took it without asking if it belonged to someone, Dr. Jacobs treatment of him was just awful.  It's a freakin' blueberry muffin, woman.  Yes, it has a special meaning, but man....get over it, accept his apology, tell him to ask first next time and just go and get your own replacement muffin!

Carol's gloating at the end was awful.  She should be a role model to the younger interns on how NOT to act, not taking some kind of middle school revenge on the other 3 for throwing her under the bus.  Be the bigger person, Carol.

The writers/directors seems to have toned down Carol's "OMG, I can't believe we're here and we're all doctors!!!" ramblings.  As seasoned of an actress as PH is, that schtick really exposed her over-acting.

Nurse Dennis is my jam!  I love the actor's dry delivery

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/11/2019 at 2:32 PM, msrachelj said:

This is so bad. Who wants to bet it won't last the entire season. Awful actors, awful setting. I just can't get into it. 

I'll take that bet.  This is crap so far and shows no promise of improving.  The premise would have worked better as a drama. I don't agree about the actors being awful.  I'm still unhappy that Kyle MacLachlan didn't get an Emmy for the last season of Twin Peaks.  The material is really weak.  

This was the first show I have deleted from scheduled recordings this season.

• Love 4

I'm liking it.  I missed the second episode but I liked the pilot and I liked this one.  The blueberry muffin was a bit goofy but otherwise I thought it was pretty funny.  I may be easily pleased however.  I'm really wanting mindless, gentle fun on TV right now.

• Love 3