Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Widows' Group

• Start Topic

This was my least fave episode so far, but it was still mostly fun. Like most sitcoms, these folks are WAY up into each other's business WAY too much. I apparently am a bad friend, cuz I have literally never interfered or meddled in my friends' lives to get them to do something I thought they should do. No wonder Wade is pissed off.

That poor forbearing waitress. I really do hope they overtip her tremendously.

Betsy and Boyd Crowder would be a weird match, but I figured they'd go there for an episode. I guess she's still missing her husband's prodigious gifts too much to be interested in Wade.

It WAS impossible to not think of Raylan and Boyd when the bourbon was busted out.

• Love 3

I really, really enjoy the banter between the two married couples. Very good timing. Very natural and believable. I loved Michelle immediately declining to talk to Wade because she is supposedly guilty of the same overstepping as Delia.

I loved the way after the soccer game Ben perfunctorily advised Wade to attend the support group. I loved Forrest bewailing wasting his vote on Ben. I laughed at Noah criticizing how raw the burgers looked, and Wade snapping that that’s why he told him he hasn’t finished grilling the burgers. I loved Noah keeping an eye on his favorite burger (has the young actor studied improv?). I laughed at Wade clarifying that he hadn’t assigned the burgers. I liked Wade lecturing his eldest that if her friends rejected her because (her sister “Snapped” that) she likes poop, maybe they aren’t really her friends.

The wallet fail was predictable.

The pizza boxes were obviously empty.

The first support group scene was very weak.

• Love 2

Honestly, this show just keeps knocking it out of the ballpark. How do they do it? I loved this one so much, I can't even list all the reasons. First of all, Wade's kids are adorable. The group just discussing sex for the whole night was hilarious. And then the husband pretending that he invented the dolphin yoga pose! I loved it all. I need this to be renewed when the time comes.

• Love 8
23 hours ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

This show is losing me.  The support group scene was kind of funny when all the gals were focusing on their sex exploits, but other than that . . . I cannot stand Wade's busy-body friends, especially Delia.  She is about as irritating as one can be.

I thought the support group was the worst part -- a dozen women start talking about their sexual predilections with a man they've never met? OTT and not funny, IMO.

OTOH, I do like the friends and his daughters.

Edited by Inquisitionist
  • Love 4

I’m a widow and I generally try to avoid shows that have anything to do with widows/widowers dealing with life after losing their mate. I decided to look in on this show and I’m so glad I did.  I have friends and family who have pushed me toward bereavement groups and online dating, so I can totally relate and I love the comic twist to this.  Never thought I’d laugh about this subject!

• Love 19
On 10/11/2019 at 7:16 PM, Inquisitionist said:

I thought the support group was the worst part -- a dozen women start talking about their sexual predilections with a man they've never met? OTT and not funny, IMO.

I have to agree. It was too cartoonish for me. It didn't help that they must have had 3 wine bottles per person. 

I've given the show 3 tries but I realize it's just not for me, and it's time to delete it from my PVR. I don't hate it or find it offensive, but I don't laugh. Probably the main reason is that I don't find Wade especially funny or appealing, and his friends and family are so OTT. 

I guess I could keep watching and hope everyone grows on me, but it seems like too much work. Falling in love with a sitcom is like falling in love with a person. If the chemistry isn't right, they're not for you. 

That said, it seems like a nice show. I'm happy to see lots here have good chemistry with it. For you, I wish for at least 2 full seasons of enjoyment.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Probably the main reason is that I don't find Wade especially funny or appealing, and his friends and family are so OTT. 

I'm happy to see lots here have good chemistry with it. For you, I wish for at least 2 full seasons of enjoyment.

Agree with this.  

• Love 1

I love this show and am trying to get my work TV watching buddy to watch.  It’s by far my favorite of the new shows!  

Loved the over the top after game snacks.  And the shirtless FaceTiming. And OMG, the hungover reffing.  🤣

I laugh out loud many times per episode each week, I’m enjoying the hell out of this show.

Edited by geauxaway
  • Love 7

Love Wade's relationship with his daughters and love his friends, even though Delia was really pushy in this episode. 

The different reactions each wife had to the "dolphin" move was great, and Forrest claiming he invented it, ha! I think he's my favorite. Also loved his line when Delia kept talking about Caroline and Phil, "I swear to God I don't know either of these people." 

Agree with @hoodooznoodooz, the banter between the couples is great. Good writing and good comic timing. 

• Love 4

The family banter is really a highlight for me, the two married couples and Wade and his daughters have really natural and fun reports with each other. 

Hehehe the ridiculously over the top game snacks. "Sarah's mom brought a fro yo truck. Orange slices are a thing guys."

• Love 10
On 10/11/2019 at 4:11 PM, Koalagirl said:

I’m a widow and I generally try to avoid shows that have anything to do with widows/widowers dealing with life after losing their mate. I decided to look in on this show and I’m so glad I did.  I have friends and family who have pushed me toward bereavement groups and online dating, so I can totally relate and I love the comic twist to this.  Never thought I’d laugh about this subject!

Did you ever watch Go On? It only aired for one season back in 2012-13 but I thought the show did a good job of balancing the main character dealing with the loss of his wife and being able to laugh about it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Did you ever watch Go On? It only aired for one season back in 2012-13 but I thought the show did a good job of balancing the main character dealing with the loss of his wife and being able to laugh about it.

I didn’t. My husband passed away two days before Christmas in 2011 so I was still quite raw on the subject. I tried to avoid anything on that topic.

On 10/11/2019 at 5:16 PM, Inquisitionist said:

OTOH, I do like the friends and his daughters.

I thought the oversharing at first was WAAAY too much, but then a lot of these women are still of the age where chatting on Facebook about their children's bowel movements are commonplace and completely normal.  Chatting about sex in front of a guy they don't know is no big deal. 

On 10/14/2019 at 3:45 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Was that the one with Matthew Perry?  If so, I adored it and HIM.  

• Love 1
On 10/13/2019 at 6:24 AM, Melina22 said:

I have to agree. It was too cartoonish for me. It didn't help that they must have had 3 wine bottles per person. 

I've given the show 3 tries but I realize it's just not for me, and it's time to delete it from my PVR. I don't hate it or find it offensive, but I don't laugh. Probably the main reason is that I don't find Wade especially funny or appealing, and his friends and family are so OTT. 

I guess I could keep watching and hope everyone grows on me, but it seems like too much work. Falling in love with a sitcom is like falling in love with a person. If the chemistry isn't right, they're not for you. 

That said, it seems like a nice show. I'm happy to see lots here have good chemistry with it. For you, I wish for at least 2 full seasons of enjoyment.

I'm with you. I had hopes for the show but the characters are one dimensional and the jokes are old and overused. I don't know what I was expecting but jokes about over the top snacks from actual soccer moms seems so 1990's. Learning it's ok to be angry after a death? When did the 5 stages of grief come out? Married friends who want to live vicariously through their newly single friend? No, that's never been done before. And why does this seemingly devoted and engaged father seem so inept at parenting his daughters? My kids are in their 20's now, but had I passed away, my husband would have remained the engaged and supportive father he had always been with both my daughter and son. My daughter and husband have always had more in common from an interest point of view,   

I just don't think I enjoy shows that are too close to my reality. Been there, done that, don't need to watch a sitcom about it. Or even a reboot of the "Courtship of Eddie's Father" from the 60's. 

2 hours ago, ohcomeon said:

I'm with you. I had hopes for the show but the characters are one dimensional and the jokes are old and overused. I don't know what I was expecting but jokes about over the top snacks from actual soccer moms seems so 1990's. Learning it's ok to be angry after a death? When did the 5 stages of grief come out? Married friends who want to live vicariously through their newly single friend? No, that's never been done before. 

You expressed how I feel way better than I did. 😁

Why does the married couple (the wife is a pediatrician) come to the soccer games? Just as part of the extended family, I guess?

Just discovered the show (catching up On Demand), and I love it. Some shows I have had to "nurture", but this one got me from the pilot.

On a set design note, I love all of their homes and kitchens.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Why does the married couple (the wife is a pediatrician) come to the soccer games? Just as part of the extended family, I guess?

They are there to support their kids who are partaking in the game + to hang out with their friends.

47 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Just discovered the show (catching up On Demand), and I love it. Some shows I have had to "nurture", but this one got me from the pilot.

On a set design note, I love all of their homes and kitchens.

I thought their daughter played on the team?  But, from what we've seen of their daughter, that seems unlikely.  Have they ever explicitly said she was on the team?