Type keyword(s) to search

S39.E03: Honesty Would Be Chill

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I read an interview somewhere with Jeff Probst.....he said Karishma's cut wasn't that big a deal, that medical is always right there, ready to jump in. I honestly do not remember what else he said.  Never forget editing...... they always make things look worse that they are, in any reality TV show.

Edited by nutty1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, nutty1 said:

I read an interview somewhere with Jeff Probst.....he said Karishma's cut wasn't that big a deal, that medical is always right there, ready to jump in. I honestly do not remember what else he said.  Never forget editing...... they always make things look worse that they are, in any reality TV show.

I watched and I have cut my hands many many times (I am not good with sharp knives) and anytime I was cut bad enough to need stitches it bleed badly.  If she was cut that bad there would have been a lot more blood.

• Love 6

my take on the cut was it seemed odd that the tribe was not checking on her--while she is narrating her thought process to a cameraman. . . and the logical conclusion from that (given we've seen no evidence they hate her and are psychopaths) was that medical assistance was right there. They saw her get help and it was not a big cut--no, discussion of helicoptering her out so they kept going.

There are times I agree with "I want people to play the game" when people are clearly just sticking to easy votes and losing opportunities to oust the true threats. . but Karishma saying that was just stupid. What exactly is she wanting? no name, no argument for why obviously XYZ needs to go. She's being told there are options that are not her and rather than jump on that, she just repeats I want people to play the game. Ughh.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

Once again, it is my understanding that production takes all the clothes that the contestants have brought with them - and they specify what ti bring in the first place - and then doles out what they want you to wear.

I believe that if Karishma had a choice she would be in pants, but production does not want her to be in pants.

There may be some leeway since I first read these rules a while ago, but you don't get to dictate what you wear.

3 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think production decides what clothes they get to keep.  But, I don't think they leave anyone with nothing but underwear.  

She was wearing a t-shirt during part of the water scene, during the talking head where she complained about being in her underwear.  

In the scene where she cut her finger "to the bone", she was wearing a long, long sleeved, yellow top (might even be a dress) that came down to the middle of her thighs.  She was wearing the same top, and I believe long black pants (a bit hard to see on the video) at the 1st TC.

I think what often happens is that the more modest clothing options players are left with are not practical for challenges and can be too hot and uncomfortable to wear in the heat of the day.  

I agree with Bryce, I don't think production will force you to be in underwear.  It's just that some of the things left for them are not great to wear.  Chris Underwood was in his underwear most of his time on EoE, but he did have jeans, he wore them occasionally.  If I were a contestant I would try and avoid packing jeans, they are not good when wet or in heat.  I do remember that Caleb Reynolds, in the season where he got medivacced, wore jeans with that big belt buckle and kept them on almost all the time, even in the water.

Angelina Keeley of course kept her infamous unflattering yoga pants on all the time, which must have been uncomfortably hot.  I always wondered if her underwear was just that bad (thong or something) or maybe she didn't even have any.

So I find it interesting that Karishma clearly has pants but is acting like she isn't allowed to wear them because "the producers would prefer to keep me in my underwear".  Um.... yeah.

• Love 2

Just another comment on Karishma's cut - nowadays stitches are rare even for pretty serious cuts. They just use a ton of medical glue (very similar to superglue). It's airtight and waterproof. Then a bandage over the top to prevent the glue from peeling/rubbing off prematurely, and you're good to go, even in the water.

I got a small but deep cut on my shin a few months back. In the emergency room they covered it with a big patch of medical glue that was like 4x6 inches and then a relatively tight bandage (room for two or three fingers under it), and that was it. I don't know any details about Karishma's cut but it looked to be on the fleshy pad of the hand, so it may not have severed a vein or artery and really was "just a flesh wound" even if it was pretty deep.

Folks on Survivor are always randomly appearing with bandages and other medical stuff but they only show the injury and/or medical team if they can fit it into the narrative for that episode. In Karishma's case, the reaction by the rest of the tribe fit into her continual complaining about being on the outs. If it had happened to someone else, they probably wouldn't have shown it. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

If I were a contestant I would try and avoid packing jeans, they are not good when wet or in heat. 

If they wanted you in jeans then they'd likely just forgo what you brought and give you jeans. I believe there's been talk that they have given contestants something to wear.

I try not to judge the players for clothes related issues because I really do think Production is behind all the terrible clothing mishaps.

• Love 10

Regardless of limited clothing choices, etc, I think the point the edit was making is that, in these circumstances, Karishma is a whiner. She whines about being humiliated, being in underwear on a show where everyone ends up being in their underwear, she whines about the women being substantially younger than her (when Elaine at 41 is older than her), she whines she's on the outskirts of the women's alliance because they're a 'sorority' and she's more mature, but then she says she's not with them anyway, although they don't know it, she whines about the cut, with its tiny slow trickle of blood, she whines the tribe aren't dancing to her dramatics post-cut - that pose on the ground! I was surprised her entire hand didn't fall off in response to the drama. She whines when given an alternate to her own name in the vote, or whatever. It was not a good edit for her, this episode!

• Love 8
11 hours ago, blackwing said:

I don't think production will force you to be in underwear.

The true saga of Purple Kelly says otherwise.

7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

If they wanted you in jeans then they'd likely just forgo what you brought and give you jeans. I believe there's been talk that they have given contestants something to wear.

Cochran has famously stated that he never owned a sweater vest before they gave him one for his first appearance in South Pacific.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, violet and green said:

Regardless of limited clothing choices, etc, I think the point the edit was making is that, in these circumstances, Karishma is a whiner. She whines about being humiliated, being in underwear on a show where everyone ends up being in their underwear, she whines about the women being substantially younger than her (when Elaine at 41 is older than her), she whines she's on the outskirts of the women's alliance because they're a 'sorority' and she's more mature, but then she says she's not with them anyway, although they don't know it, she whines about the cut, with its tiny slow trickle of blood, she whines the tribe aren't dancing to her dramatics post-cut - that pose on the ground! I was surprised her entire hand didn't fall off in response to the drama. She whines when given an alternate to her own name in the vote, or whatever. It was not a good edit for her, this episode!

Speaking of that pose.

d75g15n67mr31.png

• LOL 7
4 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Speaking of that pose.

d75g15n67mr31.png

🤣🤣🤣

Looking at that photo, one thought just occurred to me - if Special K is off to the side from everybody else and in that position, maybe the rest of the tribe thought she was Muslim and it was prayer time...?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, Nashville said:

🤣🤣🤣

Looking at that photo, one thought just occurred to me - if Special K is off to the side from everybody else and in that position, maybe the rest of the tribe thought she was Muslim and it was prayer time...?

Well, this week, when she cuts off her head with the machete, nobody will be able to claim they thought she was praying.  Then, they will REALLY be dead to her.

• LOL 4

I'm not reading through 3 pages to say this, so if it's been said then I echo it. It didn't seem to me that anyone knew Karishma cut herself. With medical right there, I wouldn't have bothered anyone on my tribe, I would have gone straight for help. I certainly wouldn't have been butthurt that no one noticed that I was being dramatic.