Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Let’s Talk About Dr Phil the Show

Lola16
  • Start Topic

On 9/21/2018 at 7:30 PM, Gam2 said:

Atl least Jerry Springer didn’t pretend that his show was anything other than the trash it was. Shill still acts like he’s a real doctor and Robin has never had any cosmetic surgery. And Jay is a successful publisher and Jordan is a wildly successful musician living in a totally black house. Okey, dokey, then.

I thought Phil didn't 'do' shows like this unless he was in it for the children?  Maybe I've watched too many old episodes. 

• Love 1

Oh geez.

"They thought I had MS but I really had a type of migraine but I don't remember the type but it's the type where you get paralysis in your hand"...

Hemiplegic migraine. They're hemiplegic migraines and they are genetic so you should be warning your family members, specifically children.

How can you remember you were wrongly diagnosed with MS but forget the type of migraines which are your actual diagnosis? 

You're an embarrassment to migraine patients everywhere. 

• Love 4

So in the end he didn't send her anywhere, but I still don't think she's going to change like she claims she will.

One question that I'm surprised he didn't ask the kids was whether or not they've been bullied in school; there's no way a kid who lives in that type of house is going to school in clean clothes and there's definitely no way a kid in dirty, smelly clothes is not getting harassed by classmates on a daily basis.

• Love 8

Something about Charles Sophy bugs the crap out of me . He looks stuck up and he really never adds anything of value to the conversations . Even when he was interviewing the kids on today's episode , he was so cold in his demeanor . 

The question is ... is phil a mandated reporter ? 

Edited by Jaclyn88
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Those poor kids (and dogs)! And she said their CURRENT house was clean! Good God.  I'm glad that CPS is involved now.  Hopefully those kids will be able to get over this.

My personal experience with CPS is that they'd probably go into that house and say, "This isn't great, but we see a lot worse."  Since there was no "after the taping" segment, I doubt that the kids were removed.  Just my guess.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, iHateAmpersands said:

I wonder if any Dr. Phil affiliates got to air today's show before the interruptions.

My local CBS station (Baltimore) was showing the hearings all day.  I turned the TV on at 1100am, and it was already airing.  They do a rerun of Dr. Phil at 237am tomorrow morning.

As Jaclyn mentioned, there's something cold about Dr. Sophy.  If he is board certified in 3 specialties and sits on the Dr. Phil advisory board, how can he have the time to be the director of LA's DCFS, (which is the largest in the country, in case you haven't heard)? He's been on the show multiple times since the beginning of the season.  There's only so many hours in a day.

• Love 1

Dr. Sophy was on The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills as the psychiatrist to Russell and Taylor during their marital counseling. He’s also the one who accompanied Taylor to the bar when she met up with her colleagues on RHOB when she had a black eye. That was where the respect went down the drain for me. If you’re such a renowned psychiatrist with such a stellar reputation and are the head of the DCS in all of California, what the hell are you doing on this trash show? 

• Love 8

S12 E148

Uncle Fester looks guilty as hell, and apparently he's too much of a physical anomaly to take the polygraph.

Chris keeps shutting his stepdaughter down, shaming her for cussing, etc. But, even if he wasn't acting like a d*ck, his stories don't add up at all.

I was really surprised to find out that "Lynn" failed the polygraph.  Hopefully, Dr. Phil got her some help! 

This was filmed in 2014 so at least she's over 18 now and doesn't have to live with them.

So, he's not a pedophile. He's just a jerk.

It's good that he could clear his name.

enhance (14).jpeg

Edited by CoachWristletJen
  • Love 2

Next week's episodes; another two-parter and two "went-from's":

10/1: My Husband Thinks I'm Hacking Our Devices: Help Clear My Name

Jennifer says her husband, Billy, is so obsessed with his devices being hacked that he has lost weight and is about to lose the family auto business.

10/2: Russian Hackers or Lying Wife? Will Jennifer Finally Come Clean?

Jennifer says her marriage is in shambles because her family has been targeted by "hackers" for the last year-and-a-half, but her husband says he has evidence that leads back to her phone, proving she is the hacker.

10/3: Once a Hotshot Rapper, Now Homeless, Addicted and Destroying His Family

Stephanie searches the streets for her homeless, heroin-addicted boyfriend, whose mother says he was once a rising star musician with a record deal; celebrity stylist Jason Scheidman gives him a haircut and a pep talk.

10/4: From Christian Cheerleader to Car-Stealing Criminal: What Happened to Our Daughter?

Parents say Hannah was a loving, well-behaved daughter until she got caught stealing at age 15, and since then has lived a life of crime and partying; she says they are too strict and can't understand anything about having fun.

10/5: My Evil Ex-Husband Has Brainwashed Our Child Against Me!

Elizabeth says her evil, manipulative ex-husband, Brian, has brainwashed their son against her; Brian says Elizabeth is unfit and unstable and conspired with two of his ex-girlfriends to file false charges against him.

• Love 1

This girl expects her family to just get over it.  That it's in the past, etc.  I know from experience that some of the shit she did to her family (particularly the heirloom jewelry) is unforgivable.  You can't retrieve those precious items ever.  It will hurt forever.  It takes time for forgiveness, if you can't wait for it. get the hell on with your life and leave them behind.  It will hurt them less.

• Love 5

On the show "Intervention" the drug addicts looks like hell but on Dr. Phil they're super models.  The young girl appeared pretty and healthy despite being an addict.  A few months ago he featured a mother who had apparently been a drug addict most of her life and had done some terrible things to her family, yet on stage she looked pretty good for a woman in her fifties.  Clear skin, nice hair, nice outfit, classy jewelry.

I think Dr. Phil's makeup staff go too far in getting these people ready for the camera.  We really don't see how they truly are.  It's hard to get an impression when the makeup is perfect, the hair styled, nice suit and tie, nice dress and shoes.  I'd rather the guests were put before camera the way they showed up at the studio that day.  

I've also wondered about the pre-filming of guests in their homes.  Usually they're arguing or fighting or whatever to make the point of whatever the show issue is... but these homes are often presented as practically mansions.  Cut flowers in vases, stainless steel and granite kitchens, etc.  And there's the family all yelling at each other.  It sometimes makes me wonder if they 'stage' a home for filming reasons.  Either that or these unhappy people all have lovely residences.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I am so disappointed in this show.  Most are hip to catfishing so I doubt we get any more.  It is just the same old stuff.  I haven't watched any yet this season.  I started a couple.  I don't delete until I skim here just in case there is a wild one who acts out on stage.  

Bring on the delusional.  I loved the woman who was married to Tyler Perry.  More of that please.  

• Love 3
Just now, AZChristian said:

Or a follow-up of her . . . if they have more children.

Yes, I would love to see a follow up on those who are genuinely crazy.  I doubt we ever will.  There would be cries of exploitation.  Personally I am not against that!  Bring em on.  

• Love 4

I was as confused at the end of today’s show as I was at the beginning. I thought I’d barf if she said “4 1/2 months” one more time. Now I have to watch tomorrow to see if she’s as nuts as she appeared to be today. Has anyone else noticed that Shill yells a lot and tells his guests that they can argue at home, they don’t need him to do that, why did they even come here if they didn’t want his help, etc? 

It just dawned on me that he’s having a lot more two parters than ever before because it means less research, less work on his part as well as his staff because he’s just not up to it anymore. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

I was as confused at the end of today’s show as I was at the beginning. I thought I’d barf if she said “4 1/2 months” one more time. Now I have to watch tomorrow to see if she’s as nuts as she appeared to be today. Has anyone else noticed that Shill yells a lot and tells his guests that they can argue at home, they don’t need him to do that, why did they even come here if they didn’t want his help, etc? 

It just dawned on me that he’s having a lot more two parters than ever before because it means less research, less work on his part as well as his staff because he’s just not up to it anymore. 

I got sick of her say "Billy" every 5 seconds!! She's a nut case that wants her 15 minutes!!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Does anyone else get the feeling that in Jennifer/Billy story that Jennifer is FULL OF IT?

If she had 'new' appleIDs and new devices, she would not be compromised a second time (by the way, the new devices are ridiculous overkill and someone at apple should be roundly disciplined for that).   All they needed was to shut down the old accounts, kill her old router and set up a new one with proper encryption, have her ISP force an IP change and freeze her credit. 

New devices are only necessary when there has been a firmware compromise and that isn't the case here but I'm highly suspicious that she's a con-artist blaming hackers for her siphoning money from any and all accounts because this isn't how hacking works. Also,  hackers don't mess with iCloud photos by corrupting them one photo a time.

Sorry hun.

• Love 5

Jennifer, appears to be (IMO) a master manipulator, a professional liar, a pretty fair hypnotist, and would probably do well as a circus barker or maybe a conman/preacher type.  I would run fast and far if I were her husband.

• Love 7

She's the "administrator on your iCloud account"

That is not a thing. Apple doesn't even offer this. 

Perhaps they mean she is the administrator account on their MacBook or other MacOS device?  You cannot be an administrator of an iCloud account.  You can have administrator privileges.  Apple has never had this feature.  Also, there is no such thing as an administrator on an iPhone! 

I swear.  This episode is giving me a migraine. 

1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Jennifer, appears to be (IMO) a master manipulator, a professional liar, a pretty fair hypnotist, and would probably do well as a circus barker or maybe a conman/preacher type.  I would run fast and far if I were her husband.

I dunno.  Considering what everyone on this show doesn't know but thinks they know (including Dr. Phil), they could all open a tech scam shop out of India.  

Edited by kitcatkitcat
typo
  • Love 4
On 9/27/2018 at 2:59 PM, sixlets said:

My local CBS station (Baltimore) was showing the hearings all day.  I turned the TV on at 1100am, and it was already airing.  They do a rerun of Dr. Phil at 237am tomorrow morning.

As Jaclyn mentioned, there's something cold about Dr. Sophy.  If he is board certified in 3 specialties and sits on the Dr. Phil advisory board, how can he have the time to be the director of LA's DCFS, (which is the largest in the country, in case you haven't heard)? He's been on the show multiple times since the beginning of the season.  There's only so many hours in a day.

I recorded it because I had to be in the office and came home to find the hearings.  

43 minutes ago, Monie said:

What possesses people to go on this show and expose their dirty laundry?! The free trip to Calif... do they get paid??!

What is amazing is that they blur out the children's faces as if that is going to protect their identities but then the parents are on tv so how are the children's identities actually a secret?

• Love 3

I had to turn it off after two typical Phil-isms:

1. When someone says "Honestly" or "Believe me, " the speaker is about to lie.

I do this for emphasis in my stories in a regular basis. Maybe I'm some higher life form or something.  Honestly.

2. No one confesses to things they don't do. 

Phil, the prisons are full up with people that were pressured to confess to things they didn't do. I just finished AMERICAN VANDAL. I get it.

But I missed if Phil mentioned he was a mandated reporter. It's not clear if he is or not.

Hell, I'm a Sunday School teacher and I'M a mandated reporter. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

So I'm guessing despite all the 'hacking' going on, no one in this family has two factor authentication enabled on their appleID's? Really?  Also, Billy, you can track down the location of who is logging in with your appleID so ... 

I don't know what to tell this family but as someone else said, they all deserve each other. 

Edited by kitcatkitcat
  • Love 5

The show is the same day in day out.  The old adage - same shit, different day - truly applies now to the Dr. Phil Show.  Even a new set design could shake things up a bit.  Because no matter the dire issue at hand and no matter how crazy the guests - it's all the same thing.  He gives the same advice, sends them off to the same place and repeats the same 5 or 6 witticisms over and over.

A paradigm shift is sorely needed here. 

• Love 11

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but has he stopped sending guests to inpatient rehab facilities? There have been several episodes where I waited for the familiar offer from him to send the guest to a dual diagnosis center and instead he’s offered therapy in their area. There might even be a good reason for it, it’s just a really noticeable change.

The hacking liar lady should have been condensed into one episode. Nothing about her was convincing from the start so two episodes were wasted on her repeating names and phrases, but saying nothing. I was also shocked and annoyed at his claim that false confessions never happen. I could have sworn that he did a show years ago where he took the opposite stance, showing tactics used in police interrogations that can elicit false confessions. That’s a pretty damaging message for him to send to viewers, especially potential jurors. 

Another complaint about the lying hacker wife show while I’m at it - some of the tells Dr. Phil uses to detect liars are moderately accurate but he makes it sound like they’re foolproof indicators. He’s wrong. They’re red flags, and knowing what to look for can help people know if they’re being lied to, but putting too much faith in these tells is foolish. He’s always treated polygraphs as irrefutable but now anyone who has a habit of using the word “honestly” as a filler word is automatically lying? 

• Love 10

I looked at the California mandated reporter statutes, and lots of jobs are mandated reporters.   However, under psychologists it said something about licensed, and Dr. Phil hasn't had a license for years, and it was in Texas, not California.     He is listed on the Texas psychologist rolls as 'retired', and never had a license in California.    He may have been a mandated reporter, but he isn't now, because the California state board that governs psychologists said his show was entertainment, and not therapy, and didn't require a license.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, ALittleBitWelsh said:

now anyone who has a habit of using the word “honestly” as a filler word is automatically lying? 

Yes, they are.  Especially when they are already proven to be a liar.

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Yes, they are.  Especially when they are already proven to be a liar.

I usually take it to mean they have not been telling the truth on anything, up to the point "I'll be honest with you" comes out of their mouth.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, arejay said:

I usually take it to mean they have not been telling the truth on anything, up to the point "I'll be honest with you" comes out of their mouth.

To me, that's right up there with the folks who begin a response with "Dr Phil, I...." The people who invoke his name with each answer they give are the ones who end up being proved liars. 

• Love 4
On 10/2/2018 at 9:09 PM, Madding crowd said:

When Phil starts complaining about people wasting his time being on his show, I would love someone to say “ If it wasn’t for people like me, you wouldn’t have a show”.

I think they must cut out people saying nasty things to Phil, because he gets so meAn to them and they never respond in a nasty way or say things like that. They are always like "im so sorry." I know he's always gonna win in the end and needs to have the last word, but sometimes he really is out of line. And I love when he says "I just sit here and let you two argue to see what dynamic i'm working with.. it's like no. You sit here and let them argue because it gives you ratings.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, ALittleBitWelsh said:

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but has he stopped sending guests to inpatient rehab facilities? There have been several episodes where I waited for the familiar offer from him to send the guest to a dual diagnosis center and instead he’s offered therapy in their area. There might even be a good reason for it, it’s just a really noticeable change.

The hacking liar lady should have been condensed into one episode. Nothing about her was convincing from the start so two episodes were wasted on her repeating names and phrases, but saying nothing. I was also shocked and annoyed at his claim that false confessions never happen. I could have sworn that he did a show years ago where he took the opposite stance, showing tactics used in police interrogations that can elicit false confessions. That’s a pretty damaging message for him to send to viewers, especially potential jurors. 

Another complaint about the lying hacker wife show while I’m at it - some of the tells Dr. Phil uses to detect liars are moderately accurate but he makes it sound like they’re foolproof indicators. He’s wrong. They’re red flags, and knowing what to look for can help people know if they’re being lied to, but putting too much faith in these tells is foolish. He’s always treated polygraphs as irrefutable but now anyone who has a habit of using the word “honestly” as a filler word is automatically lying? 

I can "honestly" say that I use the word honestly in a lot of circumstances, and do not lie with the words I say after. It has become a part of our language with literally being number 1 and honestly being number 2 .

I also agree with you that plenty of people have false confessions. He said "nobody confesses if they didn't do it.".. What? That deserves a side eye . I can see if he said most people don't but certainly not everyone.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I can "honestly" say that I use the word honestly in a lot of circumstances, and do not lie with the words I say after. It has become a part of our language with literally being number 1 and honestly being number 2 .

How do you figure the part of our language that is "I mean" said at the beginning of sentences (for lazy speakers, that is).  Is "I mean" meant to swear that what follows is the truth?

• Love 1

Phil is such a dick.  The way he was talking to those parents after they came back out and God forbid criticized Saint Phil....which I did not think they did...he said their expectations for the show were different.  And he said it calmly and adultly which is way more than most guests do!  And he gives her a freaking life coach?  Seriously??  She needs a hell of a lot more than that....espcially after the way she said no to rehab when it was never even brought up!  I cannot believe people actually go to this quack for serious help.  

Does he ever do follow up shows on prior guests?  I have never seen one and always wondered if he does them.  Then again if isnt actually helping anyone there is no follow up to do I guess.

• Love 6