Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Tamagotchis and Bells

They played "Wonderwall" by Oasis tonight.  Amazing song.

Here's the others I've heard on this show, some of which I'm sure you guys have mentioned

• "Good Vibrations"  Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch
  • "Today" Smashing Pumpkins
  • "Kiss Me" Sixpence None the Richer, from the movie "She's All That"
  • Love 6

The latest episode was the funniest one yet. I love how Coach Mellor took away all those Tamgotchis, then became addicted to them himself. Then thanks to Charlie, he decided he wanted to get one of the faculty pregnant. For those of you who like Mellor, and don't care about Lainey, the episode was all about him. Lainey only played a part in the sub-plot.

Also, Pogs were briefly mentioned in the episode. I hope they have a future episode about them.

Edited by Lili
  • Love 6

I hate Oasis, their music is like nails on a chalk board to me, I had to mute that part.  Ugh.

I never heard of Tamagotchis, don't know where I was during this phase.  The coach becoming addicted to them was funny.

• Love 1
On 1/18/2019 at 1:53 AM, silverspoons said:

Is the William Penn Academy suppose to be public , private or charter? I also never understood what grades went to the school, was it a middle and high school combined, because Adam and Barry would be there longer then 4 years?

I think I talked about this in the Goldberg's thread, but the William Penn Academy is based on the William Penn Charter School, a private school. It's called a Charter School because it refers to the Charter that established the school in the 1700s, but it is independent of school districts and governmental funding. 

The computer thing bugged me because I graduated high school and was in college in the 90s and those pretty colored iMacs were definitely not at the beginning of the 90s.  Per wikipedia they came out in 1998. I know they are always soft with the timelines... I don't know, the fancy iMacs were just so late 90s and I kind of feel like this show is linear so we would be in the beginning of the 90s. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

I don't know, the fancy iMacs were just so late 90s and I kind of feel like this show is linear so we would be in the beginning of the 90s. 

She's all that came out in 99 , tamagotchis were out around 96/97. Maybe they are going mid to late 90's. The music for the most part also says mid-ish 90's

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 1

I know some on here watch this and haven't seen The Goldbergs, but the timeline thing comes from The Goldbergs. On there it's always 1980 something as on Schooled it's always 1990 something. Part of it is supposed to be an unreliable narrator thing as in they can't correctly remember what year things happened. But I read something one of the writers or showrunners said about The Goldbergs and the real reason for doing that was so that they could put whatever 1980 nostalgia they wanted in episodes and just do what fit the story best. They said that if they did it chronologically that they would have to wait several season into the series before being able to include something like Die Hard.

• Love 4

I'm really liking this show. A lot more than the Goldbergs actually. I've also loved Brett Dier for a long time so I'm glad to see him on this show. I've also always liked the Lainey character so this show is really hitting the mark for me. The tamagotchis this week were awsesome! I remember being addicted to mine when I was growing up in the 90's and I even found some at Target and gave them to my boys at Christmas and they are all about them! Coach Mellor and whatever the Principals character's name is (Tim Meadows) are also really great! I think this is much better retooled than the first version they came out with a few months back!

• Love 4

Oh Tamagotchi memories! Those were the best! I was truly so depressed when mine died, I had to get another one as soon as I could! The coach getting addicted to them was hilarious, and it was rather sweet how the whole plot turned out. 

Wonderwall is such a great song, I will never be sick of it. This was the best episode so far, in my opinion. The Bev cameo was fun too. So, is it possible that Barry and Laney are together again, just offscreen?!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
On 1/24/2019 at 10:18 AM, partofme said:

I never heard of Tamagotchis, don't know where I was during this phase.  The coach becoming addicted to them was funny.

Were you either in grade school or the parent of a grade schooler at the time?  If not, that's not surprising.  It seems like there was another similar brand at the same time - Digi-pets?  Giga-pets?  I suppose I could look it up.

And I definitely never took my kids' pets to work while they were in school.  And they definitely didn't die anyway!  Who told you that?

Edited by SoMuchTV
Left out a word
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I have a question, don't you need some sort of college degree to be a teacher?  Does this mean that Lainey ended up going back to college and finishing up?

Thought it was funny that Miss Fleming (I think it was) volunteered for Coach Mellor's proposal to have a child together.  Was she the same teacher that he had the crush on last episode?

I remember Tamagotchis but were the really "the biggest toy of them all" like they claimed?

• Love 1

First, is it weird that I'm watching this show even though I've seen like one and a half episodes of The Goldbergs tops? Second, I love the coach. I would have had my hand up so fast to be his baby mama. Shit, he's adorable.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

I have a question, don't you need some sort of college degree to be a teacher?  Does this mean that Lainey ended up going back to college and finishing up?

Thought it was funny that Miss Fleming (I think it was) volunteered for Coach Mellor's proposal to have a child together.  Was she the same teacher that he had the crush on last episode?

I remember Tamagotchis but were the really "the biggest toy of them all" like they claimed?

In the 90s if you had at least an associates degree and passed the main teaching test you could teach a subject you specialized in. However, when 2005 rolled around, there were so many dirt bags that got into the system that were dating, and abusing their students. That they started coming out with "better tests" for teachers and then needing various required classes such as: assessment, Special Ed, classroom management and reading comprehension. Not crazy hard classes mind you, but it would take you a year to a year and a half and need to have a semester internship of teaching "real kids" to get your license. Then, somewhere, don't ask me how, especially in places like: New York, Illinois, California. Some helicopter parents got on a set of grade school teachers who didn't know "algebra". Started complaining to their congressman, then the No Child Left Behind crap started and all of a sudden student teachers were told to take this test and then this test and then this test and had to ace a trigonometry section in math to get a score to be told they had a high enough score to just get the state to say: "Ok, you can be a teacher now." Basically: "Harder test would make better teachers." It all backfired from 2010-2015 because while other people were passing these tests turned out to be crappy teachers and the ones who couldn't pass the tests were loved by their students and schools, but couldn't get their full license because they couldn't pass one math test. True story. Because we know if you end up a history teacher you should know how to teach a student if: xy-78 = x +8/4. Yeah, then just last year they finally did away with that and now just do what they did in the 90s for testing. 

As they say: "If it isn't broke, don't fix it." Back to the episode, yes, so many of my friends had Tamagotchis and before that, high school kids were sneaking their gameboys in. Now, it's smart phones and student addicted to Snapchat or trying to blue tooth in some stupid Jack Ass video. Times might change, but something "biggest toy ever" is going to always come along. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

I was a kid when they were a thing, and they were huge! All of my friends had them, they were the big hot ticket item for holidays, and my teachers ended up banning them because kids wouldn't stop messing with them in class! 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I was a kid when they were a thing, and they were huge! All of my friends had them, they were the big hot ticket item for holidays, and my teachers ended up banning them because kids wouldn't stop messing with them in class! 

Yes, my school and my siblings' schools were told to either keep them in their lockers or they faced detention. Of course go ahead about two years and they were barely 25 cents at a goodwill. Same happened with fidget spinners two years ago. You have these fads that come and go and yes, while most schools these days are dealing with kids who just CAN'T STAY OFF their phones for 5 seconds because you might miss someone using a filter on their math teacher everyone hates. However, it has been now seen that students currently in 3rd grade will be so use to mobile devices by the time they get to high school. There will be some NEW crazy fad that everyone will be doing and pissing off teachers. It's an un-ending loop just like not trying to piss off people who bring money into schools or businesses. As long as they don't kill someone, they can get away with anything.

• Love 1

Wow, activity is really picking up in here. I hope someday, we can get this show thread upgraded to a full board.

4 hours ago, festivus said:

First, is it weird that I'm watching this show even though I've seen like one and a half episodes of The Goldbergs tops? Second, I love the coach. I would have had my hand up so fast to be his baby mama. Shit, he's adorable.

I never watched an episode of the Goldbergs, until after watching the premiere of this.

• Love 2

I don't care for the C.B. character. Are they possibly setting him up as a future love interest for Lainey? That's not why I don't care for him, I can't put my finger on it.

Has it been established if William Penn is a charter school? It might make sense if Lainey was able to get a teaching job there. Charter schools around here (don't know about the rest of the country) don't require a teaching certificate. If you have any experience in whatever subject you want to teach, you are deemed qualified. Probably even if you don't have experience...a guy down the street used to be a social worker, and decided he wanted to be a coach at our local charter school. He never played sports in high school, college, or otherwise. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shoovenbooty said:

I don't care for the C.B. character. Are they possibly setting him up as a future love interest for Lainey? That's not why I don't care for him, I can't put my finger on it.

I assume yes although if this show survives and the Goldbergs ends, I can see them bringing doctor-in-training Barry on and making them endgame. I love Brett Deier, but I think CB is kind of bland. He's playing the straight man to the more wacky characters and they need to give him more of a personality.

21 hours ago, shoregirl said:

Maybe they are going mid to late 90's.

I remember an episode of the Goldbergs where Bev was all into the Charles and Diana wedding (1981) while Erica and Lainey were singing "Eternal Flame" (1988). I don't think they care at all about a linear timeline. Which I'm okay with because I'm a nitpicker and this way I can let things go.

• Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, festivus said:

I never watched The Goldbergs.  I really like 90's stuff, like this, and Fresh off the Boat.  

However I tried Black Monday (another 80's show) and absolutely loved the pilot.  I "like" the 80s I just don't remember it.

I think the timeline stuff will drive me crazy in the future when I have to watch things about the 2000s and 2010s.  For 90s it's all blissful happiness to me and I don't really remember what happened when, except I know that most things I like are from 1994 (Jim Carrey, Friends, etc.)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Lili said:

Wow, activity is really picking up in here. I hope someday, we can get this show thread upgraded to a full board.

It's getting more traffic than the Goldbergs board, but maybe that's just because it's new.

Interesting info about the requirements to be a teacher.  I hadn't even thought about the private school angle, maybe they're not subject to the same government standards as public schools.  Usually you think of private schools as being better than public schools.  I was wondering if teaching the topic of music might not require a degree, but that doesn't sound right.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I never watched The Goldbergs.  I really like 90's stuff, like this, and Fresh off the Boat.  

However I tried Black Monday (another 80's show) and absolutely loved the pilot.  I "like" the 80s I just don't remember it.

I think the timeline stuff will drive me crazy in the future when I have to watch things about the 2000s and 2010s.  For 90s it's all blissful happiness to me and I don't really remember what happened when, except I know that most things I like are from 1994 (Jim Carrey, Friends, etc.)

I love shows set in the 80s because I was a teen then, but I don't watch The Goldbergs because I'm not much for family sitcoms unless they're really dysfunctional. I can get nitpicky about the 80s but the 90s are just kinda a blur to me cause I was a young mom then with two kids. So the timeline jumping around on this show doesn't bother me. 

I'll have to look into the Black Monday show, I've never heard of it.

• Love 2
(edited)
22 hours ago, festivus said:

I'll have to look into the Black Monday show, I've never heard of it.

It's on Showtime!  Every Sunday night at 10 PM I believe.  Seth Rogen made it.  Although he's my age so how he has any knowledge of the 80's is a miracle.

(Edited because I messed up Seth's age)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I feel like if we are talking about “the biggest fad of the 90’s” Tamagotchis are below Tickle Me Elmo, Might Morphin Power Rangers and Beanie Babies.

My nephew was two in 93 and you could get a new kidney with more ease than finding any Power Ranger toy, unless you were at the store standing at the stock room door when the truck came in.

Aww Wonderwall.  I love that song and the memories that come with it.

I’m actually liking this more than The Goldbergs too.  I think it’s because everyone isn’t shouting every line and there is no family drama.

The real teacher lady at the end doesn’t seem like she’s as much of a battle axe as portrayed on the show.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's on Showtime!  Every Sunday night at 10 PM I believe.  Seth Rogen made it.  Although he's younger than me so how he has any knowledge of the 80's is a miracle.

Aww, I don't have Showtime. Boo! Seth Rogen also produces Future Man which is an underlooked little gem that airs on hulu. I think it may be time to start associating him with quality TV.

One thing I'm liking about this show is Lainey's wardrobe. I honestly miss 90's clothes and how fitted and sharp they could look. I hate the styles of now. Everything is so flowy with cutouts and ruffles in weird places and fabrics are so thin. Not my thing at all. 

• Love 3

I knew absolutely nothing about this show or its history (never saw Goldbergs) and saw a coming attraction during something (maybe Grey's?) so recorded the last two eps ... I actually quite liked it ...

Amazed it took this long for Rachel Crow to actually book a regular prime time gig (though I'm assuming she's recurring, she didn't appear in the Tamagotchis episode) and she doesn't look a day older than she looked on X Factor (though she's actually 21). 

• Love 1
On 1/11/2019 at 11:30 PM, Eataton said:

IMO, the coach and principal would be better than Lainey as main characters. Of course the stupid networks want a younger demographic so this show will probably wither and die before 10 episodes.

Except Tim Meadows can’t not carry his own show and when they tried last year with the bonus episode that was the original spinoff pilot with him (and his family) and coach it was horrible.

On 1/14/2019 at 5:09 AM, Lili said:

So, I just watched some of The Goldbergs, and so far, Schooled > The Goldbergs. I'm not sure how many people would agree with that opinion.

Early seasons of The Goldbergs are great. I dropped it during the first season with the split college stories.

• Love 1