Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Who in the Media

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, DanaK said:

Series 12 trailer premiere Saturday (tomorrow) 1500 GMT, which means 3pm in the United Kingdom. For Americans, it's 10am Eastern Time. I can't wait. I'm so excited

It doesn't show any where in BBCA listings for me on Saturday. 🙁

4 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

It doesn't show any where in BBCA listings for me on Saturday. 🙁

Probably just online to start. Then you’ll probably start to see some part of it during or after shows

• Love 1

For British viewers, show producer Matt Strevens made a slightly cryptic tweet in response to the BBC’s tweet about the Series 12 trailer coming this morning: “Also keep your eye’s on the telly Saturday night. Keep dancing.”

People have interpreted that as the Series 12 trailer (or possibly something similar) will be shown before or after Strictly Come Dancing

The current cast has done a short congrats video for Doctor Who Day and the show’s 56th anniversary

1 minute trailer of Series 12 released. You can find it in the S12 topic

32 minutes ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Nine was an awesome Doctor,  I wish he had stuck around for a few more years. Same with Matt Smith, loved those seasons too.  

Yessss! I loved Nine. I guess there were behind the scenes problems that led to him leaving. He and Ten tie for my favorites. Matt Smith, not so much... sorry...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 2
On 12/1/2019 at 11:15 AM, gonzosgirrl said:

I can't get anything but a blank page here. Any chance somebody could copy the text here?

“I’m devastated to have to tell you that due to a severe neck injury, which has made it impossible for me to sing & move, I’ve been rushed to hospital for a diagnosis. The Doctors have advised me to not perform this weekend while I try and recover, so I’ve had to make the very difficult decision to cancel my performances at the Bristol Hippodrome on Saturday 30th November and at the SEC Armadillo, Glasgow, on Sunday 1st December.

I am so disappointed and upset as I was looking forward to seeing you all, I feel I am letting everyone down, but it’s simply not possible for me to do the show in my current condition. We have thankfully managed to open the Oxford New Theatre concert (Sat 14th December) for Bristol audience members to transfer to, and we have managed to move the Glasgow date to Tues 3rd December so I really hope you will be able to still see me have A Fabulous Christmas. All my love, John x”

He later got an MRI showing a vertebrae problem

On 12/1/2019 at 11:41 AM, DanaK said:

“I’m devastated to have to tell you that due to a severe neck injury, which has made it impossible for me to sing & move, I’ve been rushed to hospital for a diagnosis. The Doctors have advised me to not perform this weekend while I try and recover, so I’ve had to make the very difficult decision to cancel my performances at the Bristol Hippodrome on Saturday 30th November and at the SEC Armadillo, Glasgow, on Sunday 1st December.

I am so disappointed and upset as I was looking forward to seeing you all, I feel I am letting everyone down, but it’s simply not possible for me to do the show in my current condition. We have thankfully managed to open the Oxford New Theatre concert (Sat 14th December) for Bristol audience members to transfer to, and we have managed to move the Glasgow date to Tues 3rd December so I really hope you will be able to still see me have A Fabulous Christmas. All my love, John x”

He later got an MRI showing a vertebrae problem. Update from Facebook

• Love 2

BBC announced Series 12 will kick off on New Years Day, then on Sundays after that, time TBA. For Americans, BBC America will show it at 8/7 for both New Years and the subsequent Sundays. Also, new trailer released

https://m.facebook.com/1706862443/posts/10206458925467721/

From Facebook, new Target Books novelizations next Summer, including last season’s The Witchfinders

http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2019/12/02/bbc-americas-doctor-who-returns-with-a-brand-new-season-new-years-day-at-8pm-et-pt-98300/20191202bbca01/

I possibly mentioned this somewhere else, but BBC America will have a marathon of the revived Doctor Who starting Christmas Eve through New Year's Day. The network will also debut the animated lost episode "The Macra Terror" on Thursday Dec 26. See the above link for the press release. It also talks about Series 12

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Amazon UK has Series 12 Blu Ray and DVD editions available for pre-order now and it’s set for a Mar 16 release https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Complete-12-Blu-ray/dp/B082VVJZ3M/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Doctor+who+Series+12&qid=1577019942&s=dvd&sr=1-2

Amazon US has Series 12 Blu Ray and DVD editions available for pre-order but no release date yet https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Complete-Twelfth-Blu-ray/dp/B082G31KLT/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Doctor+who+series+12&qid=1577019483&s=movies-tv&sr=1-2

Note that the season finale will likely be March 1

39 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

All Doctor Who on BBC America until the new season on January 1st!!

Well, cheers that it's on, but ugh to the way they're running the episodes.  They've got sections of seasons in order, they skip some, and they stick a string of specials in between.  So, for example, on Thursday night they're running Blink, then a couple of the specials, then coming back to the third season with The Sound of Drums and Last of the Time Lords - without Utopia.  So I guess it's okay for fans, since we'll just drop in and catch a random episode here or there.   But it's a really stupid way to present the show for anyone who might've wanted to binge-watch a season that they hadn't gotten around to seeing before. 

• Love 1

BBC America seems to always run the season marathons out of order for some strange  reason, at least the times I’ve caught them. It’s weird and annoying. I think if you have patience to follow the marathon to the end, you can probably catch all the episodes 

On 12/24/2019 at 2:20 PM, chitowngirl said:

At least they are running the Chris Eccleston season!

Yeah, and episodes will air tomorrow . . . except for “Dalek,” “The Long Game” and “Father’s Day.” Also, some stuff has been cut . . . like the music number where Rose has a Christmas party with Jackie and Mickey, and Ten picks out his outfit.

Reminder: “The Macra Terror” airs tomorrow night, followed by “Shada.”

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Yeah, and episodes will air tomorrow . . . except for “Dalek,” “The Long Game” and “Father’s Day.” Also, some stuff has been cut . . . like the music number where Rose has a Christmas party with Jackie and Mickey, and Ten picks out his outfit.

Reminder: “The Macra Terror” airs tomorrow night, followed by “Shada.”

Shada, really? All my listings will say is “The Lost Episode”. Thanks for saying so

Just a reminder for American viewers that the BBC America Doctor Who marathon is still ongoing. You can catch a replay of Series 11 starting tomorrow (Wed) at 7am ET leading into Series 12

2 hours ago, DanaK said:

Just a reminder for American viewers that the BBC America Doctor Who marathon is still ongoing. You can catch a replay of Series 11 starting tomorrow (Wed) at 7am ET leading into Series 12

They’re doing “best of” stuff now; “Forest of the Dead” is on as I type this. S11 starts airing in order at 7 a.m.

Hmm, unless it’s a glitch, it looks like Amazon US is no longer making Doctor Who available free to Prime members. I had figured they would wait to do that until Spring when HBO Max goes live. I was on Series 6 and still need to finish Matt Smith’s era to finish nuWho. It’s a good thing I recorded the specials on my Tivo during the marathon. I guess there’s still the DVDs via Netflix

Program reminder: The Series 12 premiere starts in a little while at 1:55pm today in the UK on the BBC. In the US, BBC America will start the show at 8pm ET and PT/7pm CT and MT and repeat it many times. I’m not sure about other countries

20 hours ago, DanaK said:

Hmm, unless it’s a glitch, it looks like Amazon US is no longer making Doctor Who available free to Prime members. I had figured they would wait to do that until Spring when HBO Max goes live. I was on Series 6 and still need to finish Matt Smith’s era to finish nuWho. It’s a good thing I recorded the specials on my Tivo during the marathon. I guess there’s still the DVDs via Netflix

Walmart had the Matt Smith years on dvd for $20 recently. I bought both that and the CE/DT set. I skipped Capaldi but will probably end up going back for it. 

On 1/1/2020 at 1:42 AM, DanaK said:

Hmm, unless it’s a glitch, it looks like Amazon US is no longer making Doctor Who available free to Prime members. I had figured they would wait to do that until Spring when HBO Max goes live. <snip>

Made me so sad, because I usually have had Doctor Who episodes on in the background for company at home during the day.

Question: does anyone know if one buys a season of Nu Who through Amazon Video now, will we still be able to access it (watch it) after HBO Max goes live? 

Also...I noticed on Amazon Prime Video seasons 1-4 (Eccleston and Tennant) are only available for SD purchase. But (and this may be a stupid question) when BBC America shows the episodes from those seasons on TV, haven't they been remastered in HD?

FYI, I know I *could* buy the seasons on DVD, but I'd rather not because I don't want to be restricted to viewing the episodes on the TV, and only the TV the DVD/BluRay player is connected to.

1 hour ago, DanaK said:

@TwirlyGirly I would presume if you buy it, like with iTunes, you keep it, but I don’t know for sure

Before I asked here, I tried to find a phone # online for Amazon Prime Video customer service and couldn't find one. 

But...the one place I didn't look was in the Prime Video app itself...<stupid me>

They do have a Prime Video customer service callback system available in the app, so I used it and actually got an agent who understood my question the first time <YAY!>, checked with a supervisor, and advised me yes, customers who purchase episodes/seasons of Doctor Who now (or who have purchased them previously) will still own them and be able to view them even after HBO Max goes live.

For me, anyway, the 15.99/mo. HBO Max subscription price is not worth it for the one program I "can't live without", so it may make more sense for me to just buy the seasons through Amazon Prime Video.

Thanks for your input!

• Love 2

http://www.interbridge.com/lineups.html

The above late night/daytime US talk shows lineup shows that Jodie will be on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon on Wed, Jan 8 at about 11:35pm Eastern Time (USers, check your local listings)

Plus, as mentioned before, the cast will be at the Paley Center in NYC on Sunday doing a Q&A

Since they will be in NYC this next week, they will probably be doing additional promotion stuff, so watch out for it

Edited by DanaK
On 1/1/2020 at 10:11 PM, DanaK said:

Another program reminder: Episode 2 of Series 12 will be on this coming Sunday, 7pm on the BBC and 8pm ET/PT/7pm CT/MT on BBC America.

As part of this program reminder, note that Episode 2 is 1 hour long (via the BBC in the UK) so if you are using a DVR, set it accordingly or otherwise plan accordingly. It looks like BBC America will slot it for 1 hour 26 minutes (due to all their commercials) so US viewers should really plan accordingly if they watch via a DVR or something similar

On 1/8/2020 at 2:06 PM, DanaK said:

Reminder that Jodie is on NBC’s The Tonight Show tonight

The Tonight Show apparently cut this segment from Jodie's interview about dressing as a panda and dancing

FYI, Jodie was the answer to a Jeopardy question the other night on a prime time edition of the game show in the US. The clue was "Feeling regenerated in 'Doctor Who', this actress confessed 'Sorry, half an hour ago I was a white-haired Scotsman'"

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 1

https://deadline.com/2020/01/tosin-cole-bentley-green-join-courtney-b-vance-amc-61st-street-1202839424/

Tosin Cole (Ryan) has been cast as one of the leads in an AMC (US) series. It’s been ordered for 2 seasons of 8 episodes each and will debut in 2021

Good for him. That’s a good step up for him. It likely means he’ll be leaving Doctor Who after this season as I can’t see him managing to fit in the AMC filming during his hiatus, but who knows for sure

• Love 2