Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E11: Blonde Ambition

• Start Topic

Episodes like this show that Keith has another side, other than his anger fits and abuse of greenhorns. He's quick to respond, and respond appropriately to potentially bad injuries.

Sig, I love you but you screwed up having Mandy set pots...even if the pots ended up full of clean crabs. Let her earn the respect of the others. Don't coddle her and undermine her.

Elliot, how do you suck, let me count the ways. Am I crazy, or did Discovery show Elliot bringing his girlfriend on board? Was that a preview for next week shown before this episode? Say it isn't true.

Thinking about it, Keith going out to the Russian border used up a lot of steaming time there and back.   Having to figure that into his deadline didn't leave a lot of time for fishing.  Less time to catch the same amount of crab -- good thing it was a honeyhole. 

Mandy set where her dad told her to.   She didn't have to guess where the crab would be.  He picked the spot she just picked the exact location of the pots.  But still enjoyed she did better than Josh.

What is it with Captains leaving during the offload.   The Hillstrands did that once then yelled at the crew because one of them did not assume responsibility for overseeing the offload.   Tonight, Elliott took off to go shopping.   I doubt whatever he was shopping for needed to be bought right that second before the offload was over.   If the Captain is getting a bigger share then it is his responsibility to make sure the offload goes smoothly and the crab count is right.   That said, waht the hell was Fischer thinking in touching anything in the wheelhouse.  Elliott was right in firing him for it.   Of course he was dead wrong in pontificating that he saved the guy's life so he should be more grateful.   Oh shut Elliott.  

All the great leaders in history always blame their least experienced for any bad result.  What?  You mean the opposite is true?  Friggin' Elliott.  Genius deck boss, too.  They each knew this guy was problematic and they decided something else was more important.  Forget addiction, it is judgment like this that damns Elliott.  How the majority owners keep putting him in that chair is a complete mystery to me.

It's all fun and marketing games on the NW, eh Sig?  Then, your darling little girl tee hees throwing a buoy.  So funny.  Yeah, never mind the multiple score of times deckhands get swept overboard with throws like that.   The resentment that could not even be spoken?  Yeah, way to reward loyalty, Sig.  How cute.  Blecch.

Aside from the old school toughness on the Wizard, easily the best part of this ep was no Harris.

• Love 4
(edited)

What a freaking spectacle -- the entire Northwestern crew falling over themselves to make sure that Sig's "Bring Your Daughter to Work Day" went off without a hitch.

The sexism was off the charts.   If that had been a male greenhorn moving slowly or making bad throws, abuse would have been rained down on his head.   Instead, little Mandy gets invited up to the wheelhouse to set strings.   I was surprised Sig didn't have her sit on his lap. 

Jake Anderson was seething.  At least he was smart enough to keep his mouth shut.   Mostly.

Poor, poor Elliot.  Here he is, the World's Greatest Guy, and all people do is disappoint him.   Captain Drug Addict can't even leave the wheelhouse unattended during an important offload without somebody going out of their way to darken his day.   The nerve of that guy Fischer getting himself fired after Elliot pulled his sorry ass out of the sea.   Did Jesus Christ have these problems with the people He helped?   When will the day come that people finally understand the awesomeness that is Elliot Neese? 

Edited by millennium
  • Love 7

Some interesting developments with this episode.  One reason I can't completely hate Keith and almost like him is when he show's how much he cares when one of his crew gets hurt.  Interesting to hear him say on "the Bait" that he won't do fishing there again.  

Elliott continues his idiocy.  No, Fischer shouldn't have gone to the wheel house but the rest of the crew and Elliott shouldn't have taken off leaving the junior guy alone to oversee the offload.  Elliott was in such a hurry it makes me wonder whether it was a booty call or if he was looking for a fix, all claims of sobriety aside.  If his father had still been working on the crew there's no way this whole thing wouldn't have happened.  

Mandy's greenhorn training did not seem all that rough so I wonder when Edger is going to kick in that "make it as tough as possible" order that Sig made.  I didn't see "seething" anger with Jake, just bafflement.  I didn't see Sig having her lay a string as terribly out of character for a captain.  All of the captain it seems show some favoritism when it comes to their kids.  The sainted Phil certainly did with his boys and Scotty Hillstrand has gotten his fair share of it.  It did look like Mandy was feeling awkward about it and tried to involve the deck crew by asking what to call the string.  "the My Little Pony" string, heee!

Speaking of Hillstrands, I'm finding it interesting that we haven't been seeing much of them despite the Time Bandit being on the top or close to the top of the crab count.

• Love 1
(edited)

Just when I thought Elliott was gone....and now he's bringing his girlfriend on board?? Geez what a useless pussy hound.

Who is this?  Val, the babymama or somebody else?

All of the captain it seems show some favoritism when it comes to their kids.  The sainted Phil certainly did with his boys and Scotty Hillstrand has gotten his fair share of it.  It did look like Mandy was feeling awkward about it and tried to involve the deck crew by asking what to call the string.  "the My Little Pony" string, heee!

Very true, nepotism is the way of the world; people either favor their children or their friends, that's just how folks are.

Speaking of Hillstrands, I'm finding it interesting that we haven't been seeing much of them despite the Time Bandit being on the top or close to the top of the crab count.

Probably because nothing "earth shattering" has happened on the TB, no women on the boat, no abuse of greenhorns, no serious injuries.  I think TB was featured last week or the week before because of a serious leak; but maybe Disco feels they're boring without Jon.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

Good old Keith!  Sorry but I don't think he cares so muych about the crew as he would be with looking good on TV.  I still have no respect for him.  Just the way he has treated his brother over the years.  Any good Capt would never have let the ice build up so much.  Going so close to the Russian border was a stupid move considering our relations with Russia right now.  So for his greed, he risked the lives of his crew with the weather, the distance from any other ships and distance to Russia.

And what did Elliot have to shop for?  I  had thought he was getting more supplies for the ship and he returns with a little bag in his hand.  He's Captain  and he is responsible for the off load.  You don't let a druggie off the ship so he can go buy some stuff.

The segments with Mandy weren't as bad as I thought they would be but the Sig having her set a line was over the top.  I thought mose greenhorns were doing the bait in the beginning and she is throwing lines?  Pushing it a bit.

• Love 1

I didn't see "seething" anger with Jake, just bafflement. 

He looked close to tears to me.

Who is this?  Val, the babymama or somebody else?

It was either the babymama or someone else.  It wasn't Val.   

I've worked on boats.  They're like Peyton Place under the best of conditions.  Bringing a love interest or booty call on board is a recipe for disaster, but honestly Elliot's whole life is a disaster so what's new.

• Love 2

Going so close to the Russian border was a stupid move considering our relations with Russia right now.  So for his greed, he risked the lives of his crew with the weather, the distance from any other ships and distance to Russia.

Not a fan of Keith at all but was relations with Russia, horrible in January? I would avoid the border regardless either way.

As for Jake and Mandy, I doubt he was that upset, he is a little insecure but he is not stupid, it is way too early for him to be worried about loosing his future place on the boat. It was probably the edit that made it seem that way.

• Love 1

Mandy wasn't treated like a real green horn because she wasn't one.  Sig and the crew were all caught between a rock and a hard place.  If Mandy got injured, there would be hell for Sig to pay at home.  Even though Sig told Edgar to make her hate crabbing, the crew knew if she got hurt or if they got on her case too much, there would be hell to pay with Sig.  The reality is from what Sig has said, Mandy's going to college.  She wanted this experience.  I do think she worked hard on the deck but they're just not going to treat her like a true green horn.  She does get points for biting the herring but as someone else stated, the nervous giggle is getting on my nerves.

As for Jake's reaction to Mandy setting pots...get over it Jake.  For a guy who's been through so much with his family, he really is immature.  Sig was giving his daughter a break from the deck and some airtime.  It's not personal.

I agree with the folks who stated that Elliot and crew shouldn't have left the 'new' guy in charge.  Yeah, he shouldn't have touched the  crane but it was their responsibility.  I'm glad we're seeing less and less of Elliot.  I do think it will be kind of interesting seeing Elliot having his new girlfriend onboard.

Don't miss Junior at all.

• Love 1

I suspect the combination of the guys making digs about it and the camera guy pestering him for a quote about it upset him.  He worked with her all summer so it's not like she's a completely unfamiliar element on the boat.

She didn't replace anybody, did she?  So they're not "down a man" because she's on board.  They're just annoyed at wasting time while she tries different positions and having the burden of making sure she doesn't end up overboard.  But I imagine her father would have her up in the wheelhouse the moment weather gets rough -- for EVERYBODY's safety.

The interesting thing to me was how bent out of shape Matt was about it.  Edgar and Norm had no comment (not unexpectedly -- why hurt their niece's feelings?)  Nick didn't approve, but didn't seem personally offended.  Probably more annoyed that the storyline for tv and Sig's fatherly indulgence was going to delay the real work unnecessarily, making them work double time to catch up.  I assume Jake took it somewhat personally, but maybe not as much as shown -- it's not hard to see that she's getting the grand tour and he's letting her see all the different sides of things, then he's going to drive her to the airport.  Jake wouldn't honestly believe she has jumped the line ahead of him in any real way.

Matt, though -- Matt seemed furious.  Maybe that he can't similarly indulge his daughters?  Or his father never indulged him that way?  Or he was forced to bathe and clean his room or something?

Any good Capt would never have let the ice build up so much.

I don't think it's that he "let" it build up so much -- it just built up at a much, much faster rate than he was used to/expected, so at the probably perfectly reasonable point when they went out to break ice it started building as fast as or faster than they could clear it.  I know we've had snowfalls where by the time we've shoveled the drive, it's almost as full as when we started and we've had to start over.   

Elliott and the girlfriend... wow.  I was hoping that would be this episode, but at least we got the guy busting the crane/whatever.  "I'll fix it for you for free!"

Very true, nepotism is the way of the world; people either favor their children or their friends, that's just how folks are.

Can't dispute that.   Doesn't make it right, or any less aggravating, though.

Sig's "worried father" routine got old pretty fast.   If he didn't want her on the boat, he should have put his foot down from the start.   His logic that "if I tell her no, she's going to find a place on another ship" doesn't wash.   No other ship would have her, for reasons of liability, inability, or plain old propriety.  I think that was made pretty clear by the informal polling of the captains at the outset of the episode.   (On the remote chance somebody did take her, then Sig could step in and say, okay, come aboard the Northwestern.)

I wonder what was going through Sig's mind when he saw the footage of Roger getting crushed aboard the Wizard.

I watch On Demand and my system either cuts out the previews or I missed them.  If Elliot is bringing a girlfriend aboard, it sounds like Discovery is actively encouraging these guys to shake things up a bit.   "Next week: Captain Keith's 85-year-old mother joins the crew of the Wizard as they head out for a second round of opies ...

I doubt that Discovery told Elliot to bring his girlfriend aboard.  Elliot's such a jerk that I can see him doing something like that anyway, just to show the guys that he's got a "hot babe" at home.  If she is hot, what's she doing with Elliot. 

I'm a bit offended at the "druggie" comments.  That's why it's so hard for people to admit they have a problem and seek help, because people rag on them for their past.  Now Elliot probably shouldn't be a captain at this point; but I've known people in recovery who have had to bartend to make ends meet, so there is that.

Obviously, Mandy being on the boat was totally for the show.  Sig's daughter seems like a great girl, but I can not help but wonder if there are women out there who really would have appreciated the opportunity?  I know not many women could do this  job, but the same holds true for men.  I would have really liked to see a real female greenhorn with a genuine desire to be a crab fisherwoman.

• Love 1

I could have happily gone the rest of my life without seeing Elliot pick his nasty-ass teeth with that flosser.  Has he replaced cigarettes with compulsive flossing??

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm a bit offended at the "druggie" comments.  That's why it's so hard for people to admit they have a problem and seek help, because people rag on them for their past.  Now Elliot probably shouldn't be a captain at this point; but I've known people in recovery who have had to bartend to make ends meet, so there is that.

My derision stems from the fact that Elliot Neese is a deeply flawed individual who seems blind if not oblivious to his own shortcomings and who thinks nothing of the impact his substance abuse problems have on the people around him.    His life is a series of bad choices and bad actions.   I referred to him as "Captain Drug Addict" as a means of calling attention to his disgusting hypocrisy.   Yes, Dave Fischer broke the boom.   But it was an accident.   Nobody got hurt.  It was just money.   Dave didn't break anyone's heart.   He didn't leave any children fatherless.   He didn't throw a self-centered tantrum.   He didn't endanger the entire crew talking to his girlfriend on the phone while the ship is facing dangerous conditions.   He didn't leave the crew stranded for a whole season without a paycheck while he works on personal problems.  Elliot is guilty of all of that, yet Captain Drug Addict had the gall to stand there and berate an otherwise decent guy, take away his livelihood and embarrass him on national television before his family, friends and any potential future employers -- all while making sure the world knows just how benevolent the great Elliot Neese is.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4

I'll also defend the term druggie as I used it because Elliot was always at bars and admitted to continued use of drugs to his Dad.  Only being in rehab for 30 days is not being cured - not close. Sig brother had a drug problem but beat it years ago.  There is a difference.  He's been clean.  And to let this guy take a ship out and responsible for these men's lives is scary.  I'm surprised the Coast Guard  let him do it.

This was one of the least enjoyable episodes for me.  Way too much time on the Saga's saga.  And yes, Fischer should not have tried to move that crane on his own if he didn't know what he was doing.  But when you leave the least experienced crewman there to oversee stuff, well, stuff happens.  And Elliott, it's not like you have ever made a mistake in your life too.   That he took that incident way too personally.

Not thrilled with the Sig's daughter stuff either.  This just reeks of Disco trying to spice up things for increased viewership.   The way she was laughing/giggling at stuff like not being able to throw the buoy's correctly.  That was outright dangerous.  And none of the crew was really giving her flak for that either.  And while I don't think Jake was seething seeing her brought up to the wheelhouse, I can tell it definitely annoyed him.  Not that I blame him.  If she's serious about going fishing, she should learn all her greenhorn duties first.  Which she's still slow in completing as of that filming.  And then learn how to do everything on deck.   At least with Phil and the Hilstrands, I don't believe they were having their kids set strings on their very first trip on the boat.

If she truly wants to fish, fine.  More power to her.  And of course, Sig can do what he wants to do with regard on how he runs the boat.  But to me the whole thing seemed like a Disco stunt to me.

• Love 2

Every time Elliot said, "I pulled him out of the sea." I kept picturing the guy in a survival suit being plucked from the waters.  I thought he rescued him after their boat was aground?    Of course, every time I see Elliot I also feel skeeved out by him.  I didn't see the previews but he's bringing his girlfriend on deck?  Is this the one he has the kids with, the one he lived with when he was proposing to the other girl or...?  Yeesh. 

• Love 1

Episodes like this show that Keith has another side, other than his anger fits and abuse of greenhorns. He's quick to respond, and respond appropriately to potentially bad injuries.

I agree. I know alot of people really don't like Keith, but I always have. I've always wondered how much of his temper is really his, and how much is courtesy of the editing monkeys at Disco. He's definitely got a short fuse, but he cares about his crew. Freddy went to his boat after Phil died, and said no thanks when Josh asked him to come back to the CM. Plus it was Keith that testified before Congress during the government shutdown. Clearly, he's respected in the fishing community.

To call Elliott a douche-bag would be an insult to douche-bags.

Keith's more of an intellectual than the others (no reflection on their intelligence, I think he's just better educated and well read than the rest of the current cast.  I don't see most of them kicking back in their bunks and reading for pleasure.  Well, maybe reading for pleasure, but not reading for pleasure.)  Keith has been pretty active in the union or whatever they have to negotiate the crab prices each year -- in an earlier season they showed him doing that.  I assume he's pretty effective or he wouldn't have been sent as their rep to Congress.  Or, at any rate, he held whatever elected position that resulted in his going. 

I liked him a lot in the beginning because he was a bit of an outsider (not raised in a fishing family, etc.) but the temper eventually got to me.  As the old reality show saying goes, they can't show what you don't give them.  And he's given them way, way too many extended freakouts that I would find terrifying if I were on the receiving end of.  Personally, I think Wild Bill is acting his rants more often than not.  During the whole "get your muthableeping bleep off my muthableepin deck!" speech he seemed like he was trying to remember something he'd written ahead of time. 

Not that he doesn't have a temper.  I just think that he decided that was his hook and so he's playing it up now.

I'm glad Sig seems to have dropped that hook (out of control temper that people at home find amusing).  He's definitely the captain I think has changed the most through the show. 

(edited)

I was exposed to a lunatic ragemonster at an early age, so I can say with some degree of confidence that while I might consider sleeping with Wild Bill (if only so we could run our hands through each other's silky hair), I would never, ever, ever trust a guy that lost it so completely, like Keith has done.  Yes, I like and respect him, but that snap he does  - scares the bejeezus outta me.  Good thing guys like Monty know it passes, because  Keith never seems to apologizes for, or even acknowledges his freakouts - and that's a little freaky.

Edited by walnutqueen

Keith can't control his emotions - he can cry or lash out like a maniac at the drop of a hat.  I can't get past his uncontrolled outbursts and I really don't like him.  Maybe he is a nice guy but no way would I want to work for him or be on a boat with him out at sea. 

(edited)
I agree. I know alot of people really don't like Keith, but I always have. I've always wondered how much of his temper is really his, and how much is courtesy of the editing monkeys at Disco. He's definitely got a short fuse, but he cares about his crew. Freddy went to his boat after Phil died, and said no thanks when Josh asked him to come back to the CM. Plus it was Keith that testified before Congress during the government shutdown. Clearly, he's respected in the fishing community.

I think with Keith mileage just varies.  To me Keith is very passionate and emotional; I think he knows how far to take it.  I remember last season when the greenhorn had to be airlifted by the Coast Guard; Keith kept his cool then, he was scared, but he kept his cool.  As for his temper, I worked for someone like that and after a few times, I realized this guy was all bark and no bite, kind of like an infant, scream for five minutes, go pee and then they're fine.  I think Keith is like that.

Edited by Neurochick

I think one of Keith's worst moments was when he screamed at the camera guy for not refilling the coffee pot.  He really seemed crazy.  However, I can help but see how his crew seems very loyal to him and in turn he usually finds the crab, and gets them a good amount of money in their pockets.  He does seem like an outsider and I think even though he is respected in the industry, he does not seem to have many friends in the fleet.  Whether this is due to jealousy because he is a pretty successful fisherman or because he is a big jerk.... I do not know.

• Love 1

I feel this way about Keith and most reality folk.  If you followed anybody with a camera for years, you would probably see things that were less than flattering.  I mean nobody is Zen 24/7/365.

I know some have issues with Josh Harris but I remember how he stepped up when his father was dying.  I know people who would probably be considered nice who, if their parent were in the hospital, would run to the nearest bar and get and stay fucked up and not be there for that parent.  So I can't totally hate Josh, sorry.

I know some have issues with Josh Harris but I remember how he stepped up when his father was dying.

This is my thing with Josh as well - as much as he can be arrogant with delusions of grandeur, and I think he likes the cameras a little too much, the way he acted during Phil's last few days has really stuck with me.  He didn't go and get high like Jake did, he was there, present, looking after his father and trying to look after the boat as well.  I really respected that about him.  He's done some stuff since that I can't get on board with - the way those two acted during the whole Derrick Ray saga, for example - but for the most part I think he has good intentions.  I can't sit here and say the same about Elliott Neese.

As for this episode, it was interesting to see the crew of the Northwestern adapt to having Mandy on board, and they definitely weren't as tough as they would have been with a new guy on board, but... I don't know, we'll see.  I thought she might have taken it a little more seriously, and maybe she would if the weather had been a little worse... maybe the laughing was a nervous thing?

I felt a little bad for Sig though, because he was quite clearly stressing about having her on deck and I think the bringing her up into the wheelhouse was to give him a moment without any anxiety moreso than it was teaching her how to be a captain.  As for Jake Anderson complaining about it, I'm like, "You're the guy who had a full on hissy fit just last year on the boat, punched Matt Bradley, screamed at Edgar and then quit, and they were nice enough to take you back - do you really think you should be bitching about not getting any time in the wheelhouse?"  Dude should just be grateful he has a job.

He's done some stuff since that I can't get on board with - the way those two acted during the whole Derrick Ray saga, for example

I even understood that.  To Josh, Derrick was attacking Jake  (IMO Derrick wasn't attacking Jake, but I could see how Josh saw it that way) and Josh wasn't having anybody attack his brother, though I do think on some level Josh knew Derrick was right, and I wouldn't be surprised if now he REALLY knows Derrick was right.  But at the time, Phil had recently died, Josh felt that he had to protect his brother and to him Derrick was attacking Jake, so Josh lashed out; it wasn't right, but I understood it.  I really think both Derrick and Josh were trying to be right in that situation.

I think one of Keith's worst moments was when he screamed at the camera guy for not refilling the coffee pot.  He really seemed crazy.  

Ha! When I was writing my earlier response I had this as an example of him flying off the handle, but then I was rambling too much so I left it out. I didn't think that was too out of line. Taking the last of the coffee and not making any more is just plain rude. In an office setting, if you take the last cup of coffee, you make some more. When I had roommates in my single days, the rule was that it's OK for one roommate to "borrow" another's food, but you damn well better replace it by the next day. And you never ever took the last anything that didn't belong to you.

(edited)

Poor, poor Elliot. Here he is, the World's Greatest Guy, and all people do is disappoint him. Captain Drug Addict can't even leave the wheelhouse unattended during an important offload without somebody going out of their way to darken his day. The nerve of that guy Fischer getting himself fired after Elliot pulled his sorry ass out of the sea. Did Jesus Christ have these problems with the people He helped? When will the day come that people finally understand the awesomeness that is Elliot Neese?

After watching a second time, my guess is that Fisher hasn't watched the past few seasons of DC and didn't know what Elliot is really like, lol.

It's hard to believe that anyone would work for him.

Edited by SweePea59
  • Love 1

I have a feeling Fisher wouldn't have won even if he didn't move the boom.

If the offload was halted because the boom was in the way, I'm guessing Elliot and the crew would have gone off on Fisher because he didn't show initiative by not moving the boom.

Offloader: "Hey, we can't offload until the crane is moved, can you do it?"

Fisher: "Sorry, gotta wait for the skip!"

When Elliot returns

Elliot: "Why the fuck isn't this fuckin' crab off my mother fuckin' boat?"

Fisher: "The crane needed to be moved, I couldn't do it."

Elliot: "You lazy ass motherfucker! Now were stuck in this motherfuckin' dock instead of out catchin' somemore goddamn fuckin' crab! You're nothin' but an ungrateful dickwad! This is how you fuckin' thank me for pullin' your sorry fuckin' ass out of the Bearing Sea?"

• Love 2

Elliot: "Why the fuck isn't this fuckin' crab off my mother fuckin' boat?"

Fisher: "The crane needed to be moved, I couldn't do it."

Elliot: "You lazy ass motherfucker! Now were stuck in this motherfuckin' dock instead of out catchin' somemore goddamn fuckin' crab! You're nothin' but an ungrateful dickwad! This is how you fuckin' thank me for pullin' your sorry fuckin' ass out of the Bearing Sea?"

It is truly scary how well you captured Elliot.

• Love 3

You know, I can't understand why the Captains have the most inexperienced  greenhorn oversee the offload.

I think it was mentioned before that the Captain is ultimately responsible for the crab numbers to be correct; so shouldn't the Captain be on deck while the offload is underway? At least have an experienced full share deckhand oversee the count.

IIRC, something similar happened on the Time Bandit, when everyone left the boat, and the offloaders were allegedly shortchanging the weight, until Mike Fourtner came back and started checking the weight along with the offloaders. 

Like I said, I suspect that Fisher would have still caught hell even if he didn't try to move the crane. However, he may still have his job if he didn't.

It may be a blessing in disguise. Who really wants to work for Elliot?

• Love 1