Type keyword(s) to search

Robin Hood: He Owes a Great Debt to Everyone

• Start Topic

To be fair, I think he wasn't so much wanting to stay with Zelena so much as not wanting to leave his innocent child with the crazy bitch who raped him. I can see why he'd be conflicted. Still, Robin is a jackass, so it's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm just totally confused by him (what else is new?).  Ok, you've got a code.  Great.  Apparently that makes you a doormat?  Upon finding out that your supposed wife isn't your wife; but is in fact, a murdering psycho witch, shouldn't your first impulse be to grab your small child and GTFO?!  

And if you are that honor bound to the supposed life you created (I won't apologize for wanting to protection for that poor kid, and I don't think Robin should abandon it either), then use the legal system to get custody, or put Zelena in a magical coma until it's born, or something!  

No, instead it's "guess I'm stuck with this crazy chick now.  Oh well.  What can you do?" *cue tortured Robin Hood face he wears every episode*

• Love 1

Yeah, I feel bad for Sean too. He seems like a fun guy in real life, and anyone who's a friend of Colin's must be good people. But I still don't like Robin as a character.

In order to grudge through these final episodes of the season, I've decided that any time Robin or anyone else on the show mentions his "code," I'm going to mentally replace it in my head with the word "dick." Because apparently that's the real thing he makes decisions by, not some honorable theif code. It's pretty hilarious if you use it on some lines from Heart of Gold:

"It goes against everything I stand for... my code."
"Does your code really extend to helping the likes of Rumplestiltskin?"
"Well, sometimes having a code is all we have."

Edited by Curio
  • Love 9

Knowing our luck, they'll miraculously go the rest of the season without saying the word "code." But at least I'll be paying attention to the show when he's on screen instead of zoning out or playing with my phone, which will be a big improvement.

• Love 1

And once again, it is an utter mystery what the writers think they are doing with Robin. In 4A, Robin is written as 100% all about Regina, to the point where he can't try and fall in love with Marian EVEN TO SAVE HER LIFE! He aggressively pursued Regina even though REGINA was telling him to stay away from her and focus on Marian. When Marian's life appeared to still be saved, with no hesitation at all, Robin still chose Regina and confidently said that Roland would learn that his father has a messy life.

And now, in 4B, a whopping 1 week after leaving Storybrooke, he decided to wipe Regina from his phone and completely pledge his love to Marian even though it's canon that he knew something was wrong (and also that it's entirely possible to co-parent and help support someone without immediately returning to a full-fledged relationship). Over the next 8 weeks, he didn't notice that Marian wasn't behaving like the woman he loved and remembered? He didn't feel that maybe he made a mistake deleting Regina's number off his phone because he didn't feel any love for Marian? He was so all-in that when Regina shows up, he didn't feel the false lie of feelings he'd been trying to sell himself crumple and when she said that Marian was really Zelena, he didn't immediately feel the confirmation of what he'd already suspected to be true? (not meaning that Zelena was impersonating Marian specifically but that something drastic had happened to Marian)

Just looking at Robin's choices, the picture is of a fickle ass who apparently doesn't truly love anyone but will just be with whomever is conscious, consenting, and within a certain proximity. Maybe that's why the writers don't understand that Zelena raped Robin. They think of him as having chosen his NYC relationship with Marian based on how Zelena was actually being and so consider it just a minor detail that Zelena's outward appearance was that of Marian's.

Maybe after spending more time with Marion, he felt more guilty about what happened in Storybrooke and made up his mind that he would be committed to Marion.  In "Heart of Gold", he didn't clue in that Marion was not Marion.  He could easily attribute any differences to Marion being frozen and the tumultuous events of 4A.  

What I don't buy is his immediate decision to stick with Zelena even if she's pregnant with his baby.  He should have been disgusted and shocked.  He knows full well how psycho Zelena was.  How would Roland be safe with her around?

He could easily attribute any differences to Marion being frozen and the tumultuous events of 4A.
That's an explanation for not figuring out that Marian was being impersonated. That's not an explanation for feeling like he was back to in love with her and able to live with her as a real family. At most, he should have felt guilty that he couldn't feel anything for her.

Maybe he started feeling something after spending more extended time with Marion?  Especially after she got mugged?  We know he loved her before, and he couldn't have completely stopped.  I agree that the 4A behavior suggests otherwise, but I can see how the love could have been rekindled.  

I think the reason he recommitted to Marian was because he thought he had no way back into Storybrooke.  I don't wanna defend him or anything like that because he doesn't deserve defending because he is a fickle and wishy-washy douchenozzle.

• Love 1

To be fair, I think he wasn't so much wanting to stay with Zelena so much as not wanting to leave his innocent child with the crazy bitch who raped him. I can see why he'd be conflicted. Still, Robin is a jackass, so it's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt.

So he forced another innocent child to live with her (Roland's with them, right? I refuse to watch this travesty of a story on my screen). This is so many kinds of fucked up I cannot believe it.

So he forced another innocent child to live with her (Roland's with them, right? I refuse to watch this travesty of a story on my screen). This is so many kinds of fucked up I cannot believe it.

Zelena revealed herself literally at the end of the episode. So, we don't know what his plans for Roland are. I don't think he intends to "live with" Zelena as man and wife. We'll see I guess. 

We know he loved her before, and he couldn't have completely stopped.  I agree that the 4A behavior suggests otherwise, but I can see how the love could have been rekindled.

If Marian had really been Marian, I could definitely buy that Robin could have fallen back in love with her after 9 weeks together. It makes him look even worse for his 4A behavior, IMHO, but I could buy it. But Marian wasn't really Marian. She was Zelena, who observed an under-duress Marian for a whopping what 3 or 4 hours? Maybe half a day? Zelena has no idea what Marian's personality is like and no magic to help her cheat the personality. So IMHO, it is unlikely that Zelena's best Marian-impersonation would mimic the qualities of Marian's that are why Robin fell in love with her. (Heck, it strains belief that Zelena would even be able to keep up the impersonation of being a sane, decent human being over 9 weeks of pretty continuous exposure. She managed the midwife all right but that was just a few short, focused encounters in a professional context when she had plenty of downtime to let her true self out to play.)

That's why I say I can accept Robin rationalizing away the changes as the result of Marian's trauma and not figuring out that Marian was being impersonated, but I can't accept him actually feeling any true emotional connection to her and responding to Regina the way he did and still be willing to root for him and Regina to end up together. 

• Love 2
(edited)
Would anyone love to see Robin and Killian have a friendship? I'm trying to picture it and I can't see it even though Sean and Colin are adorable in real life.

I can't imagine Hook having a lot of respect for Robin, based on Robin's actions (though the show doesn't seem to see Robin as that fickle). It's like with Hook and Rumple -- there's a huge "does not compute" for Hook in the way these other men treat their relationships. 

But since the show doesn't address that, I guess both guys have that outlaw rogue thing going on, so I could see them teaming up to carry out a mission. I can't imagine what they'd talk about socially, though.

With the news that Robin Hood is a series regular in Season 5, I just can't help but think the ship has sailed and the character is too ruined to be rehabilitated or expanded upon at this point.  I don't see what is salvagable.  

He has so little linkage to any character except Regina.

In some ways, he's a weaker version of Charming and Hook combined together.  He's part noble hero, but not really based on his behavior in Season 4.  He's part regrets-at-former-decisions (back when he was a petty thief), but that aspect of his life was really underplayed when he's always sprouting some sanctimonious questionable lines like if you steal for yourself it's stealing and when you steal for someone else, you're a hero, or whatever he said.  

Just like The Sorcerer, it's too little, too late for me.  I don't see how they can overcome two seasons of pathetic-ness.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3

You want to know what killed Robin for me? This exchange between him and Regina:

Regina: Things might have turned out differently had I chosen you over... well, instead of... Evil.

Robin: You made mistakes. And now you're making up for them.

No. Robin, Regina's actions were not mistakes. They were deliberate actions that included rape, torture and murder. Including the death of your wife. Robin is such a horrible character, I just can't even pretend to like him. By using him to massively whitewash Regina's crimes instead of acknowledging the horror of them and encouraging her in a different way besides eh, mistakes happen, Robin is made even worse.

Then there's the part where Robin had met the Wicked Witch and was looking for her because Little John had been turned into a flying monkey. He never thought to tell anyone that he'd met her? The simple description of red headed woman with British accent would have dramatically narrowed things down for our intrepid heroes. #ItHappenedOffscreen 

• Love 5
(edited)

I just "connected the dots". Robin suffered psychosis from his traumatic experience with the Wicked Witch so he could not pull any remembrances of her from his memory. His impaired memory of the Oz incident can also be explained by him feeling jet lag which is experienced by anyone travelling through the Enchanted Forest-Oz corridor due to tornado force winds.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I have not liked the character of Robin Hood since the Marion fiasco. They have permanently dirtied the Robin Hood icon. That being said, Sean has a certain charm...WHICH THEY ARE TOTALLY DE-BALLING now. Before, he at least had some healthy forest glow and courageous chutzpah. Strong Dad? Nah. Heroic archer? Nah. Flirty tease? Nah. Beloved leader of seasoned forest warriors? Nah. Man with any visible substance? uh, no..

The pathetic shadow- of-a-man eunich he has become is beyond the pale. All he does is look pained on the sidelines, or become the helpless victim of Zelena's deranged over dramatizing while fading into a cardboard smooch vessel for Regina. Weak assed crap of a figure.

The writers spent a lot of time last season adding Hook to scenes as ineffectual eye candy pandering, almost destroying his personality in the process. They retained just enough smolder and one liners to keep him viable. Hell, the ABC promo in the *classroom* with Regina gave him more steaminess than most of the season until the wonderfully wacko AU finale. ( Ya know, I think it is in direct correlation to the mussiness of his hair GRIN)

But they are realllly doing a number on Robin. It seems these writers don't like manly men very much. David, pussy-whipped, Hook, twitterpated goofball, Robin...not one ounce of notable testosterone.

I don't like Robin, but what they are doing to him is patently wrong. And it is...sad.

• Love 1

So I saw this gifset on the "relationship/dynamic" of Emma and Robin and I had to laugh because all it does is point out the fact that they've said about three sentences to each other in the entire show. Props to the creator for actually finding enough scenes to use for six gifs!

So they're like Belle and... pretty much everyone but Rumple.

I didn't know Robin and Emma even ha some sort of relationship? How are we supposed to tell what their dynamic is, if they've said like, one line to each other?

If they gave Sean material to work with (like the scenes I've posted here before from the Wonderland ep. he was in)...but no they don't. I couldn't even enjoy the flashbacks he got in 3x17 because it involved Marian stuff.

Robin has said that she's one of the first people who he liked getting orders from or some bullshit. Does that mean he works for the sheriff station?

Robin needs to have something with more than just Regina. Has he ever had a conversation with Henry at all?

Has he ever had a conversation with Henry at all?

What's weird is that in the latest episode, in the background when they were about to head to Camelot, Robin was standing with his arm around Henry. They've had maybe two scenes other than in the AU when they were even in the scene together -- Henry's "cool!" reaction to learning Regina was dating Robin Hood and when Henry was at the table while Regina and Robin were talking about Zelena still being pregnant after the AU. And yet they're apparently acting like they have a nice little family developing. It goes along with Regina's whine that she liked it when it was just her, Robin, Roland, and Henry, when that never happened, and there was never even time for it to have happened.

I think [Robin]'s a goner.

There's been speculation after the first two episodes that it seems like the show is setting up Robin to die some time this season, but I can't see it happening. The show likes Regina too much at this point to kill off someone they've been trying to force her with since the beginning of Season 3. I think Robin has just taken the mantle of damsel in distress away from Hook and is now the writers' go-to guy for those kind of life-or-death situations. Basically, his only useful role right now is to be on the brink of death to show how much Regina loves him and to set Regina up to sacrifice herself to somehow prove she's a savior now.

• Love 1

Ok, am I the only one who doesn't believe the price has been paid?

There's been speculation after the first two episodes that it seems like the show is setting up Robin to die some time this season, but I can't see it happening. The show likes Regina too much at this point to kill off someone they've been trying to force her with since the beginning of Season 3.

Maybe he is the damsel in distress, maybe he's not.

Robin was supposed to die in Camelot and then going Guardians of the Galaxy and dispatching the fury doesn't mean something else won't come back for him.

Emma paid her price for healing Robin, it took her one step closer to the darkness, the kiss she planted on Hook didn't work.

Regina has not paid her price, has she? Even when she decided to give her life up for him, it didn't happen because Snowing love her so much, they decided to "sacrifice" themselves too. 

As far as I'm concerned and the way I'm looking at this, Regina has paid for absolutely nothing, not in Camelot or in Storybrooke.

• Love 1
(edited)

If they plan to kill Robin, they should have done it in "The Price".  Otherwise, it would feel redundant if we see this AGAIN later this season.  As others have said, if they wanted Regina to prove she was Savior material, she would have been risking her life to save someone other than the love interest.  But the writers needed a situation where Emma was rightfully angry because Regina had asked an unreasonable favor of her.  I thought the title "The Price" was a joke before the episode since there is never a price for villains like Rumple for each instance of use of dark magic, and surprise surprise, as said above, there was ZERO price paid in this episode.  It's not like I really want Robin to die, but they can't highlight something as the theme and then make it a moot point at the end.

Edited by Camera One

Regina has not paid her price, has she? Even when she decided to give her life up for him, it didn't happen because Snowing love her so much, they decided to "sacrifice" themselves too.

As far as I'm concerned and the way I'm looking at this, Regina has paid for absolutely nothing, not in Camelot or in Storybrooke.

When has she paid for anything at all? She cursed the enchanted Forrest ,caused all sorts of terror for energy one in the town

Shes the reason that Emma was separated from her parents and everyone does everything to make sure she's ok, that she's happy. Snowing is so far up her ass that they don't seem to care about what's going on with Emma or trying to help emma.she's never really paid any consequences for being the evil queen. Then when's confronted about it and some trys to make her pay consequences they other persons the bad guy.

• Love 5

If they plan to kill Robin, they should have done it in "The Price". Otherwise, it would feel redundant if we see this AGAIN later this season.

Exactly. Personally, I'd love it if that Fury came back and decided that ripping off Guardians of the Galaxy isn't a good enough price, but I just can't see the show sacrificing Robin at this point. Maybe some random red shirt citizen will die to take his place, but if they hired Sean on as a regular, I'm just not seeing his character dying. (Even though a good majority of the audience would probably be okay with it, outside of Outlaw Queen fans.)

I do hope the writers include more of Sean's personality into Robin though like they did in the dance scene. The only gripe I had with it was that Sean's personality seems to be the complete opposite of Robin's, so that part came off a bit out of character. But I'll take OOC over boring any day.

Edited by Curio

But the writers needed a situation where Emma was rightfully angry because Regina had asked an unreasonable favor of her.

Hoping to save someone's life is an "unreasonable" favor? I find it impossible to see it that way. And I also don't think the show is playing this as Dark One Emma in Storybrooke being rightfully angry that she saved someone's life. There was a lot of talk last season about how Emma absolutely had to bring the person she saw as Marian back to the future with them, even though she was warned repeatedly that it would mean she'd intentionally change the timeline and this could have serious consequences for everyone, because saving people is what Emma does and she would not have been able to live with herself if she'd left "Marian" to die. Well, if we stick to that logic... how well would she be able to live with herself if she'd stood back and watched Robin Hood die? Someone she didn't just meet once in a FTL of the past and who'd come to Camelot with the rest of the group to help her. In fact, I would argue that the result would have eventually been the same. Guilt isn't exactly the most pleasant feeling and one doesn't even have to be the Dark One to feel the pull of darkness if it lingers.

I skipped over the dancing and most of the ball because it's not something that really interests me, but the Robin/Regina dance part was so completely Lana/Sean screwing around that it almost felt like I was watching the blooper reel. Still it's too bad Robin can't have a personality because it's clear Sean has one and that made it much more fun to watch.

Speaking of Robin's personality, I've been watching a YouTube video of Outlaw Queen's main interactions in 3B because I'd completely forgotten how their relationship played out in the beginning (though this may be my brain's defence mechanism kicking in and erasing certain OUAT sub-plots from memory for my own safety).

I came away thinking that Robin had far more personality in 3B than I remembered. His snarking at Regina about her Black Knights terrorising him and his men almost made him seem like a different person to his watered down S4 and S5 persona. Regina was was incredibly rude and ungrateful towards him while they were breaking into Rumple's castle, but he was always ready to talk back. When I first watched 3B, Robin had seemed like someone who could, with careful planning, be a decent foil for Regina. But then something happened and any promise he had melted away as the season accelerated their relationship towards the finish-line in time for Marian's return. It's as if Regina emits some kind of radiation that, over time, strips away other character's personalities if they spend too much time near her.

When they meet again in Storybrooke (sans memories of having met) Robin is telling her that her reputation proceeds her in one scene, then expressing disbelief that anyone could call her 'The Evil Queen' in the next. All the natural barriers to them even wanting to be in the same room as each other are bypassed entirely: Regina being a 'former' villain; her crimes directly impacting him and his people; obvious class and wealth differences (Regina living in the biggest house in town while Robin appears satisfied sleeping in a tent) etc.

That's when Regina sees the lion tattoo and the writers then seem to be satisfied that they'd done enough build up to get these two together. From then on Robin becomes more and more unlikeable, his characterisation taking the biggest hit after Marian comes back.

I find myself wondering what the character would be like now if he and Regina hadn't spent the end of 3B making kissy faces at each other and talking about fairy dust and tattoos. What if, instead, Robin and Regina had just gradually become friends in 3B with Robin helping her to turn over a new leaf and help others like he did? We'd learn more about him, see an actual redemption arc for Regina, and give the actors more time to adjust to working with one another. That'd disrupt the way S4 plays out, but I think that'd be a good thing because the Marian arc didn't do anyone any favours.

Edited by october
(edited)

I think Robin Hood's personality just overall doesn't fit with a love interest for Regina.  They could have gone another route in the Season 3 premiere had they attempted Regina/Hook as a coupling.  I agree that better writing would have made a lot of difference, especially with gradual friendship but more importantly Regina showing more repentance and not reverting at the drop of a hat, and getting rid of the destined love by Tinkerbelle and also the stuff with Marion.  It has basically been one misstep after another for Robin's storyline.  But at the same time, I don't see much chemistry between the two actors.  

Edited by Camera One

The show basically neutered Robin's personality the moment they needed him to be Regina's love interest in Storybrooke. During the missing year, Robin was actually semi-interesting and was allowed to call Regina out on her bullshit. "What I’m doing here, is saving your ass." But ever since Snowing cast Curse 2.0, it's like he had a personality transplant. Just because you like someone doesn't mean you have to stop being snarky or be afraid to confront them about something.

We know Hook is insanely in love with Emma, but he can still call her out if he needs to. Could you imagine Robin yelling at Regina "Then bloody answer me!" like Hook did towards Emma in 5x02? No. Because Robin is such a pushover now. He'd be like, "Oh, well...I suppose I'll be going now, your majesty."

• Love 4

But ever since Snowing cast Curse 2.0, it's like he had a personality transplant. 

So, when Snow and Regina did Curse 2.0, they both made him what they really wanted--a cheerleader for Regina?  It's just a really slight personality download.

Edited by Mari
  • Love 1
When they meet again in Storybrooke (sans memories of having met) Robin is telling her that her reputation proceeds her in one scene, then expressing disbelief that anyone could call her 'The Evil Queen' in the next.

That's one of the big problems with the pixie dust soulmates plot. Why didn't he have the same reaction to meeting her in Storybrooke that he had to running into her in the Enchanted Forest? It's not even as though they fell in love during the missing year and might have had that subconscious thing going on even without remembering it. They found each other annoying. So why did the second meeting that felt like a first meeting at the time go so differently, straight to "you're not evil, just bold and audacious, let's have a drink!"? And then Regina, who'd spent a year mocking him, fell in insta-love the moment she saw the tattoo, and the only thing holding her back was her fear of opening her heart again. All the stuff that bothered her about him during the missing year wasn't even a factor.

He should have been far warier, especially since this time around there wasn't even the big saving Roland moment. In the Storybrooke meeting, he had absolutely no reason to look at her more favorably at the start. While in a strange world he'd suddenly found himself in and didn't know how he got there, he ran into the woman he knew as the Evil Queen, who had his picture on wanted posters, and when he fired an arrow at her, she plucked it out of the air, and he knew she was the one who cast the first curse that left him frozen in time and devastated the land. She wasn't even with people he knew he could trust. If anything, his first meeting should have been the friendlier one, since she was with Snow White and she saved his kid. He had less reason to be friendly with her in Storybrooke.

The show basically neutered Robin's personality the moment they needed him to be Regina's love interest in Storybrooke. During the missing year, Robin was actually semi-interesting and was allowed to call Regina out on her bullshit. "What I’m doing here, is saving your ass." But ever since Snowing cast Curse 2.0, it's like he had a personality transplant.

They made Robin into David 2.0 with even less personality. I don't understand this show's repeated characterization of weak men who won't stand up and point out that their partner is in the wrong. David going along with Snow's evil fetus line of thinking and eggnapping is the dumbest thing ever, but at least David got to semi-object to Snow's idiocy. Robin gave exactly zero reaction to Regina's plan to murder his unborn child. He stands around and just goes along with her no matter what she's doing. His role seems to be to look vaguely concerned and wave his Regina pom-poms. 

• Love 2

I mentioned this in the "Dreamcatcher" episode thread, but I've been thinking about it more and it's bugging me more than it should. I've been slowly warming up to Robin this season (probably because he's been interacting with more people outside of Regina), but the writers still refuse to give him a personality or let him be good at his own claim-to-fame: being a thief.

Earlier, Hook went and asked Robin (and only Robin) to help him break into Emma's house because he needed someone with good thievery skills, but then the writers never even let Robin show off those skills when they went to break in. Instead, Robin's girlfriend is the one who gets to break in, ironically stealing one of Robin's only identity/personality traits he's been given on this show. Robin is forced to play the silent supportive boyfriend and quickly goes to comfort Regina after Emma's protection spell give her a boo boo. (Why did Regina even think the door was unlocked to begin with?) I know the writers like to shower Regina with everything awesome all the time, but would it really have changed much about that particular scene if Robin and Regina switched places? Why couldn't it have been Robin who attempted to use a pick lock on the door and be blasted back by Emma's protection spell? Then, Belle could have said that maybe something of Henry's could combat the spell and Regina could magically conjure up the scarf. That way, all the characters in the scene (except Hook) get to do something useful and do something the audience knows they're good at.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 1

The actor playing Lucifer is way hotter as Satan than he ever was as Robin Hood but his Robin Hood manage to make more sense than current Robin Hood. Weird.

Because in the 5 minutes that we had him as Robin Hood, the writing was actually true to who the character is.

Then they decided that Robin owed a debt to Rumple, and he fell in love with Regina within a week, and called her bold and audacious. You know who else was bold and audacious? Nottingham. Might as well have fallen in love with him. They turned the character inside out, and made him unlikable. I was excited when they said they were bringing back Robin. But Robin has been sacrificed at the altar of Regina.

• Love 1

It was pointed out on tumblr that in "Devil's Due", Regina had more screen time with Daniel's grave and the horse. Now I want to start keeping track of random things that have more screen time than Robin in every episode. I think Bambi's mother had more screen time. It's kind of sad really. Poor Robin.

You should also keep track of how many words he says in an episode. I think his all time high this season was in 5x02, followed closely by 5x13 and is mini adventure with Henry.

There are episodes where he has nothing to say at all.

I've been wondering about Robin though, and the Will Scarlet situation. Did A&E like Sean and decided to bring him onto the main show because of what they saw on Wonderland, and then got stuck because they had no idea how to write him?

Do we know which was filmed first? Weren't OUAT 3.3 and Wonderland episode 3 filmed around the same time? I think they hired him for the mother show but just used Wonderland to beef up his appearances. I assumed they already had the idea to bring him in as Regina's love interest when the Wonderland episode was written.

I'm so confused about how the show has ignored Robin's character this season. We spent a huge chunk of last season watching Regina whine about not having him around, and we went through the entire Operation Dumbass nonsense to get him back to Storybrooke, but now that he's back in Regina's life she barely hangs out with him? What? The writers have given Zelena more importance in the story this season than Robin. I'd be kind of upset if I were Sean.

yeah i really don't know what they're doing with Robin either.  It doesn't help that they never really developed his character in the first place, and the truth is I haven't missed him these last couple of episodes.  Sean seems to be a really nice guy as well and he gets on well with the rest of the cast but I just don't care about Robin.  At this stage he's been given even less story time than Belle and that's saying something.