Type keyword(s) to search

And The Golden Arrow Goes To...: Awards, Nominations, and Recognition

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

(edited)

TV Overmind staff picks for best tv villain this past season...

Our Selections for This Year’s Best TV Villains 
Araceli Aviles  June 21, 2017
http://www.tvovermind.com/review/tvovermind-end-of-year-roundtables-best-villain

Nick Hogan – Adrian Chase/Prometheus (Arrow)
Probably the easiest choice I’ve made yet is to pick Adrian Chase/Prometheus from Arrow. Josh Segarra’s phenomenal portrayal of a friend turned foe still has fans reeling weeks after the fact. Prometheus was always one step ahead of Team Arrow, making it nearly impossible to predict what happened next. The final confrontation with Prometheus led to a lot of character fates being left up in the air, and even required a reunion with Slade Wilson to “defeat” him. Arrow will be writhing in the aftermath of Prometheus’ time on the show for a good long while after his departure from the show, and I would be hard pressed to come up with a better villain dating back several seasons.

Blaise Hopkins – Prometheus (Arrow)
Prometheus was one of my favorite television villains ever, and I don’t even know who else compares to the character for this year. Prometheus completely took things to a new level for villains in Arrow this season and is right up there with Slade (if not better) for who has tormented Oliver and his friends more. The guy is ruthless and calculated which made him the ultimate baddie.

Tiffany Chang – Adrian Chase (Arrow)
I swear he could be the next Damien Darhk. Well, minus the Darth Vader-ish powers, of course. The guy is manipulative and cunning, which is why he’s always ten steps ahead of Oliver. I mean, Oliver had thought that Chase was one of the good guys and he didn’t even know that there was a double agent in the midst until it was too late. On top of that, he bought the whole scared girl act from the double-crosser after being kidnapped by Chase. Looks like someone is losing their touch!

Jasef Wisener – Captain Howdy/Pazuzu (The Exorcist)
Araceli Aviles – Diana Dubois (Empire)
Nick Hogan – Adrian Chase/Prometheus (Arrow)
Blaise Hopkins – Prometheus (Arrow)
Tiffany Chang – Adrian Chase (Arrow)
Chris King – Lenny (Legion)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

As much as the 100th episode annoyed me, it was an alien induced dream though. If they are going to use that to argue that it means Laurel was the love of Oliver' life, it also means that Diggle's dream life is to be holed up in the Bunker with Felicity to be their own little vigilante team, no Lyla, no kids. While it's kinda adorable to think he might love Felicity that much and makes my inner Delicity squee, I seriously doubt that was Diggle's dream life! 

Same goes with Ray. Even I avid Raylicity shipper that I am don't use the 100 episode as proof that Felicity was the love of Ray's life (hehe I've got another ep for that).

Not even an Alien induced dream. In the Legends crossover Ep Oliver calls it alien brain washing. And underneath the surface of the whole Ep built up relationship was the fact that the life the 100th was trying to sell Oliver was artificial happiness. Or, not trying to sound to much like Jbuffy, a red pill from the Matrix. Oliver could take the Aliens red pill and go on living a blissful life of ignorance that's ultimately a lie or choose the real thing and all the pain that comes along with that but also true real happiness and personal fulfilment.

By the time Oliver sees Felicitys name on that building and realises it's out of place he basically begins to reject that life, including Laurel, and from then on goes chasing his real life which is Diggle, Felicity and the Green Arrow and artificial Laurel becomes left behind. The scenes they do end up having is more about providing Oliver and the memory of Laurel closure by having Oliver give her the goodbye and apology she was probably due and not the everybody says "I love you" to Laurel while Oliver just stands there silent goodbye he gave the real Laurel with their very real messy past. 

But to @strikera0 point of the 100th inviting Lauriver fans to think they still have skin in the game, I think to ship Oliver and Laurel you would have to basically only relate to them on a very shallow surface level way, like the artificial relationship the 100th shows where everything is about ignoring the real problems and differences and disrespect between Oliver and Laurel as a romantic couple and just focusing on the shallow factors like how cute they are getting out of a shower together (also ignoring that theyre basically role playing Olicitys past together.)

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 10
16 hours ago, LeighAn said:

I think to ship Oliver and Laurel you would have to basically only relate to them on a very shallow surface level way

You've just described a number of reviewers, in print and even more so on youtube.

• Love 3
(edited)

TV Overmind staff picks for tv character they're most proud of from this past season...

TV Characters We’re Most Proud Of in the Past Year 
Araceli Aviles  June 22, 2017
http://www.tvovermind.com/review/tvovermind-end-of-year-roundtables-characters-were-most-proud-of

Blaise Hopkins – Oliver Queen (Arrow)
Arrow was the most improved show of the year for me, which is why Oliver is the character I’m the most proud of. While Stephen Amell’s acting has never been the problem, the writers just seemed to finally have Arrow back to normal and reigning supreme as the top superhero on television. The character finally feels like he has his head on straight again and has been aces this season. The show pushed the main character to the absolute brink and had Oliver hold on strong to his morals and everything he believes in and stands for. It was a blast to watch and displayed how strong the character truly is.
Chris King – Oliver Queen (Arrow)
The first four seasons of Arrow chronicled Oliver Queen’s struggles with darkness and his shift towards the light, but Season 5 of the CW superhero drama fully dug into the Green Arrow’s real demons, as the villainous Adrian Chase forced Oliver to confront the monster inside of the man, the one truth that he had never wanted to admit. After Oliver spoke his deepest, darkest secret aloud (that he enjoyed killing people—he murdered because he liked it not because he thought it would protect the city) and confided in those he loved and trusted (specifically Felicity and Diggle), he was finally able to shed his former skin and become the truest and best version of himself. This evolution wasn’t an easy one for Oliver; in fact, it’s certainly the most difficult and challenging process we’ve seen him go through so far on Arrow. But the results so far have been outstanding, as Oliver has become a healthier and more human person and has fostered more fulfilling relationships with his friends and family, and as a major Arrow fan, it was so immensely satisfying watching Oliver’s transformation this season, as he learned to trust himself enough to fully love the most important people in his life (including Ms. Felicity Smoak). Here’s hoping this new and improved Oliver sticks around when Arrow returns for Season 6 this fall.

Jasef Wisener – Jessica Day (New Girl)
Araceli Aviles – Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory)
Nick Hogan – Crowley (Supernatural)
Blaise Hopkins – Oliver Queen (Arrow)
Tiffany Chang – Dr. Linda Martin (Lucifer)
Chris King – Oliver Queen (Arrow)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Unpopular opinion I'm guessing but I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasnt decided Oliver is public enemy number one because of a lapse in dating judgement or because he wants to love and be present for his son, and not let him die at the hands of a pyscopath. I too thought by the end of the season he showed a lot more growth then he has since mid season 4. I'm just hoping the writers actually let him keep the growth he achieved and the lessons he learned and not rinse and repeat next season. That'd be nice for a change. 

• Love 3

If I watched only the last 5 episodes of Arrow, then yeah I'd be proud of Oliver, too. But there was too much stupidity and extra baggage from last year for me to see him at the end of this season and say, yeah, he's improved or grown up. Plus, there's always the danger the writers will regress him to suit whatever plot they came up with for next season. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm pretty sure neither Keanu Reeves or Stephan Amell is going to win against Gord Downie.  Not only is Downie a fantastic musician and song writer (Tragically Hip), he's an advocate for Natives and wrote The Shining Path, he just got the Order of Canada and he's got terminal brain cancer.

Some of those earlier match-ups are funny -- Chris Hadfield (real astronaut) vs William Shatner (fake space traveller), Tatiana Maslany vs Christopher Plummer, Alex Trebek vs Drake,  Sandra Oh vs P.K.Subban and cruelly Ryan Gosling winning over Rachel McAdams 2 to 1.

Edited by statsgirl

I'm pretty sure neither Keanu Reeves or Stephan Amell is going to win against Gord Downie.  Not only is Downie a fantastic musician and song writer (Tragically Hip), he's an advocate for Natives and wrote The Shining Path, he just got the Order of Canada and he's got terminal brain cancer

Which works for reasoning just as long as the voter KNOWS any of that .  I've never heard of him myself.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Right now it's Downie 77%, Jim Carrey 23%.

Is the Tragically Hip not known in the US?  They're huge in Canada.

I haven't heard of them before.  I looked at their wiki page and didn't recognize any singles either but that doesn't mean others wouldn't.  

(edited)

I'm Canadian and I only know maybe 2 songs from them. But they are an older band and I'm  from a slightly younger generation as to when they were popular. But yeah lol

Edited by EmilyBettFan
(edited)

Other than a few people, like SA and EK, the Arrow cast doesn't really do much on social media.  And I guess with the divisions we don't deserve best fandom.

3 hours ago, EmilyBettFan said:

I'm Canadian and I only know maybe 2 songs from them. But they are an older band and I'm  from a slightly younger generation as to when they were popular. But yeah lol

You should check out The Secret Path because it's an important part of Canadian history, as horribly shameful as it is.

Chanie {Wenjack} was a young boy who died on October 22, 1966, walking the railroad tracks, trying to escape from the Cecilia Jeffrey Indian Residential School to walk home. Chanie’s home was 400 miles away. He didn’t know that. He didn’t know where it was, nor know how to find it, but, like so many kids - more than anyone will be able to imagine - he tried. I never knew Chanie, the child his teachers misnamed Charlie, but I will always love him.

Proceeds from the sale of Secret Path will go to The Gord Downie Secret Path Fund for Truth and Reconciliation via The National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation at The University of Manitoba.

Gord Downie wrote an album (it won a couple of Junos last year), then got together with Jeff Lemire (of New 52 and X-Men fame) to produce a graphic novel which was made into a film last year.

Even if you're not into their music, Downie is important for this. Keanu Reeves is a movie actor.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

And the final round for the PreviouslyTVAwards are open!  http://forums.previously.tv/forum/3310-ptv-awards-the-previouslies/

Poll will be open until Friday at midnight Eastern time.  

Be sure to be on the look out for a number of Arrow related votes including most Best/Most Shippable Couple, Hell Yeah Moment (The Diggle, Oliver and Felicity hanging from a ladder scene in Underneath), Character You Most Want to be BFF's With, The Pierce Award (for most useless character, Susan Williams is in the running), Worst Use of Wig and many more.    

• Love 2
(edited)

Best, or Most Shippable, Couple (Oliver & Felicity)
Character You Would Most Want As Your BFF (Felicity Smoak)
Best Hell Yeah! Moment (Diggle's massive arms hold the ladder rung AND the weight of Oliver and Felicity, while injured Oliver pulls Felicity up with one hand to keep her from falling to her death)

Storyline With Most Wasted Potential (The aftereffects of Havenrock on Felicity Smoak)
Worst Moment in a Drama. (Oliver confessing to his team (including Felicity) that he'd just mistakenly killed Felicity's boyfriend and the team comforting HIM)
Worst So-Called Badass. (Black Siren)
Pierce of the Year (most unnecessary character, Susan Williams nominated)
Most Unintentionally Funny Line ("'WHERE. IS. MY. SON?!!!' Oliver Queen, for the umpteenth time")
Worst Use of a Wig (Oliver's flashback wig)
Worst Episode of a Drama ("Spectre of a Gun" (5x13))
Worst Performance in a Drama.(Katie Cassidy)

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 8
(edited)

Just a reminder that voting for eonline's TV Scoop Awards also ends this Friday (June 30). Here's a summary of the Arrow-involved catgories...

Oliver & Felicity are up for Best/Favorite Couple:
http://www.eonline.com/news/860903/tv-scoop-awards-2017-vote-for-your-favorite-couple-and-sexiest-moment-now

EBR is up for Best Drama Actress, and SA and DR are both up for Best Drama Actor:
http://www.eonline.com/news/860652/tv-scoop-awards-vote-for-the-best-drama-actor-and-actress

EBR (LoT) is up for Best Guest Star, and Prometheus and BS are both up for Best Villain:
http://www.eonline.com/news/862309/tv-scoop-awards-2017-vote-for-the-best-villain-and-guest-star-now

Arrow is up for Best Drama:
http://www.eonline.com/news/860406/tv-scoop-awards-vote-for-the-best-drama-and-best-comedy-now

JH is up for Favorite Breakout Star:
http://www.eonline.com/news/860892/tv-scoop-awards-2017-vote-for-your-favorite-breakout-stars-now

Oliver vs. Prometheus and BC vs BS are both up for Best Fight:
http://www.eonline.com/news/861158/tv-scoop-awards-2017-vote-for-the-best-fight-and-musical-moment

The island blows up (Arrow) is up for Best Shocker, and Laurel is not mysteriously back from the dead (Arrow) is up for Worst Shocker:
http://www.eonline.com/news/861147/tv-scoop-awards-2017-vote-for-the-best-and-worst-tv-shockers

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

It's funny because people always find out about their polls and change the results, LOL.

And they'll convince themselves that the pro-votes are bots and then make another poll, lose when Olicity fans find it, complain about bots, make another poll, lose when Olicity fans find it, complain about bots, make another poll, lose when Olicity fans find it, complain about bots, make another poll, lose when Olicity fans find it, complain about bots, make another poll....

• Love 9
(edited)

The Best TV Shows of 2017, So Far…
Chris Tilly  •  June 29, 2017
http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/the-best-tv-shows-of-2017-so-far

It’s been a vintage year for TV, and with the end of June marking the half-way point, FANDOM editors and fan contributors have picked their favourites. So the following are the best TV shows of 2017, so far…
Arrow - Mike Delaney (Community Development Associate)
.  .  .
I’ve loved Arrow from the beginning, but even I admit that it began to stagnate a little in previous seasons. Saying that, I always felt that even at its worst, Arrow was still better than a lot of shows. Season 5 only reinforces my belief.

The season-long Prometheus arc was well constructed, successfully pulling in elements from the show’s history but also managing to be extremely personal in focus. The flashbacks were once more a relevant part of the show, and my favourite supporting character, Anatoly Knyazev, returned. Arrow’s real strength this season is the ensemble cast. Arrow has always been at its best when the show uses supporting characters as effectively as they use Oliver Queen.

Season 5 proved to be a blistering return to form, and reminded me why Arrow redefined superhero television shows.

Legion – Lawrence Yee (Editor-in-Chief)
Twin Peaks - Drew Deitsch (Entertainment Editor)
Arrow - Mike Delaney (Community Development Associate)
The Good Fight - Zuleika B (FANDOM Contributor)
Line of Duty - Chris Tilly (Managing Editor)
Fortitude - Kim Taylor-Foster (Entertainment Editor)
The Keepers - Samantha Loveridge (Gaming Editor)
The Expanse - R.W.V. Mitchell (FANDOM Contributor)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, tv echo said:

Arrow has always been at its best when the show uses supporting characters as effectively as they use Oliver Queen.

Agreed but in season five that didn't happen until like episode 17

• Love 5
(edited)

Fan report on unofficial results of Eonline's TV Scoop Awards voting - official winners will be announced on Monday, June 3 (should stay the same, unless there are "shenanigans")...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

They should definitely win Best Couple. I was voting not that long before it closed, and they were close to 40%. The next couple (I think it was Alex and Maggie from Supergirl) was at about 15%.

• Love 2
(edited)

New GATV category - nominees include Juliana Harkavy, Katie Cassidy, Joe Dinicol, Rick Gonzalez, Madison McLaughlin, Lexa Doig, Audrey Marie Anderson, John Barrowman, Kacey Rohl, Carly Pope, Tyler Ritter, David Nykl and Dolph Lundgren...

2017 GreenArrowTV Awards: Pick The Best Season 5 Guest With 3 or More Episodes!
July 1, 2017 Craig Byrne
http://www.greenarrowtv.com/2017-greenarrowtv-awards-pick-the-best-season-5-guest-with-3-or-more-episodes/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Tough list to chose from.  Susan may have been a bust and Billy a footnote happily forgotten, but there were an awful lot of actors and characters that I loved seeing again.  There's all the old favs, the return of Anatoly and Dinah grew on me.  But like I commented on the poll page, the only one I actively miss is Rory.  So yep, he got my vote.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Congrats to Olicity, EBR, Oliver vs. Prometheus, and Adrian Chase/JS for officially winning TV Scoop Awards 2017...

TV Scoop Awards 2017: The Full List of Winners
by LAUREN PIESTER | Mon, Jul 3, 2017 11:00 AM
http://www.eonline.com/news/864669/tv-scoop-awards-2017-the-full-list-of-winners

BEST COUPLE
Winner: Oliver and Felicity (Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards, Arrow)

Runner Up: Kala and Wolfgang (Tina Desai and Max Riemelt, Sense8)
BEST FIGHT
Winner: Oliver vs. Prometheus (Arrow finale)

Runner Up: The Conclave (The 100)
BEST GUEST STAR
Winner: Emily Bett Rickards (Legends of Tomorrow)

Runner Up: Nina Dobrev (The Vampire Diaries)
BEST VILLAIN
Winner: Prometheus/Adrian Chase (Josh Segarra, Arrow)

Runner Up: Black Jack Randall (Tobias Menzies, Outlander)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
(edited)

PTV has announced the results of its first ever Previously Awards - despite all the Arrow noms, the only Arrow "winner" was KC for Worst Performance in a Drama...

Traditional "Good" Previously Awards:
No Arrow winners

Traditional "Bad" Previously Awards:
Worst Performance In A Drama: Katie Cassidy, Arrow

Non-Traditional "Good" Previously Awards:
No Arrow winners

Non-Traditional "Bad" Previously Awards:
No Arrow "winners"

Elsewhere in the Arrowverse - "Supergirl, Cat Grant (Calista Flockhart, Harrison Ford's wife) says she never saw 'Star Wars'” won Most Meta, Meta Moment.  No PTV awards went to The Flash or LoT.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

BEST FIGHT
Winner: Oliver vs. Prometheus (Arrow finale)

Runner Up: The Conclave (The 100)

And yet it's not Oliver or Prometheus pictured. I started tweeting about it and then I realized the lesson a very good friend keeps trying to hammer at me: Apathy Don't give characters and actors you don't like buzz. So, after this, I'm going to try extremely hard not to talk, tweet about that actress or character anymore. 

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 1

Wow, eonline has TONS of The 100 fans! They dominated that whole competition. I'm happy to see Arrow get a few wins, especially an Olicity win! Even better, second place went to one of my other favorite TV couples, Kala and Wolfgang from Sense8*! I'm happy that Arrow got props for the things they got right.

*I feel the need to plug Sense8 to my fellow TV fans, now that we campaigned to get an ending to the show, which was tragically cancelled after a HUGE cliffhanger at the end of its most recent season. If you don't mind nudity, its a super awesome Netflix show with much fight choreography and ship possibilities! Its also a quick binge at 2 seasons, and now we get a movie to wrap things up! 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/29/2017 at 3:13 PM, Angel12d said:

Pure Fandom have another round of polls including Best Superhero Show, Best Superhero Character, Best ship, Best Villain and Most Passionate Fandom. They have a disclaimer about bot votes and cheating now though, LOL. 

http://www.purefandom.com/2017/06/29/2017-pure-fandom-tv-awards/

Reminder - Voting in Round 1 will end at 1:00pm (EST) on July 7. Then voting in Round 2 will be open from July 10 to July 21. Final results will be announced LIVE from San Diego Comic Con via Periscope. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Are the TVScoop awards big?

I voted but I didn't realise how big they were. A lot of the official accounts seem to be congratulating them.

Yeah, I noticed that as well.  I don't think I'd have heard of them before (though I might have still voted in them in the last couple years - there have been a LOT of polls and contests)  Still, I'm really enjoying the attention stuff I like is getting.  

• Love 2