Type keyword(s) to search

New Cook Like a Pro Episodes

• Start Topic

Hellooooo?  Anyone around?  Did anyone watch Ina's show today?  I turned it on as she was finishing the swordfish (she was frying capers which I've only done once).  Didn't care for the bread pudding or the chutney.  But the swordfish looked very good.  Wish she were doing her shows back in the house (but I certainly understand why she does filming in the "barn").  It's always good to have Ina back on TV, whether the recipes interest me or not.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Hellooooo?  Anyone around?  Did anyone watch Ina's show today?  I turned it on as she was finishing the swordfish (she was frying capers which I've only done once).  Didn't care for the bread pudding or the chutney.  But the swordfish looked very good.  Wish she were doing her shows back in the house (but I certainly understand why she does filming in the "barn").  It's always good to have Ina back on TV, whether the recipes interest me or not.

I’m watching! Such a relief to have Ina on after the mundane dribble of The Kitchen. She is so classy. I know she may not retool every recipe to an exciting degree these days, but at least she attempts to teach and elevate the cooking thought process (IMO).  I love bread pudding but I’d have to wait until I have a group over. It makes too much for just me. I have written the swordfish ingredients on my shopping list and hope to make it very soon. I’ll happily watch her just to welcome some tiny bit of FN sanity into my house. God knows the pickin’s are slim when it comes to FN. I hope new viewers who are now cooking more at home gravitate to her new show. 

• Love 2

I watched it too. I adore Ina and most of her recipes. The swordfish recipe was my favorite of today's offerings. I learned that caper trick from a recipe from Giada. I really like the technique. I've done it on a couple different pasta dishes.

• Love 2

Yes, I did. It was about tomatoes. I have the DVR set to record all new shows. I was only half watching while doing a crossword and Sudoku, so I may watch it again. I like hearing her voice - so soothing.

• Love 2

Thoroughly enjoyed today's new episode.  and THEN I coincidentally happened to check in on Instagram and there was Ina doing a live interview with an editor and it was the most delightful hour of Ina-chat and Q&A from questions that the viewers were asking.  So I got to spend most of my early Saturday with Ina -- heaven!!  On Instagram, she was so relaxed (with her quarantine curly wave hair!) and fielded every question with such ease.  Her voice and manner of speaking are big keys to why I enjoy her -- so soothing, articulate, intelligent, light but never a hint of "uptalk", a great tone.  It was awesome!

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, buttersister said:

The Italian iced coffee is made with espresso for a reason. Their oohing over that weak version was sweet, but no sale.

I thought that was classic Ina oohing over everything dear Jeffrey attempts to do.  No, it wasn't a Win, but I loved him trying and with his little chef hat and apron -- such a sport.

• LOL 3

Several posters have mentioned Ina's voice being soothing and I agree. There have been times when we've all noticed her little insecurities, but this woman really has the right voice & personality for TV. I always feel comfy & calm while watching this show. 

• Love 2

Really enjoyed today’s episode. I will definitely make the cauliflower recipe (she had me at gruyere) and the spinach/zucchini recipe, although I will make it as a casserole. True confession: I’ve never had lamb! So I don’t know if I’d like it and I don’t see a lot of lamb in my grocery stores. I know I can substitute ground beef for lamb in recipes, but what does it taste like?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

I’ve never had lamb! So I don’t know if I’d like it and I don’t see a lot of lamb in my grocery stores. I know I can substitute ground beef for lamb in recipes, but what does it taste like?

Lamb.  🙂  It's distinctive. 

A lot of people I know don't care for it (I love it, much more than beef - other than a ribeye steak, one of my favorite things).  It has a stronger flavor than beef; it's gamey.  It's tender and juicy.

I am normally all about local, but most domestic lamb is fed grass and then grain, and most are not given a proper pasture to roam; both things lessen the distinctive lamb flavor.   New Zealand lamb tastes noticeably different - like "proper" lamb - because they move around like they should and eat grass their whole lives.

Here's a Cook's Illustrated article that explains why lamb tastes like lamb.

• Love 1

I love lamb chops but don't care for ground lamb. Ground taste very sweet to me. 

the cauliflower dish was interesting to me. Not sure about the zucchini as I find it pretty tasteless.

I love zucchini, so that dish looked good. I thought the cauliflower dish looked good, anything smothered with gruyere can't be bad, but I laughed at it being an appetizer. Those things were huge.

I was truly flummoxed when Ina used jarred/ground nutmeg a few times during the episode - even Rachel Ray grates the nut and Ina has done so in the past.

I saw a McCormick's commercial ran during the show, I wonder if the ground nutmeg use was a subtle commercial?

7 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

I was truly flummoxed when Ina used jarred/ground nutmeg a few times during the episode - even Rachel Ray grates the nut and Ina has done so in the past.

I saw a McCormick's commercial ran during the show, I wonder if the ground nutmeg use was a subtle commercial?

That's interesting, considering Ina usually grates the nutmeg. I'm trying to remember if she's ever done this before. I know I've recognized the Maille mustard jar (but the label was always turned away) and the vanilla bottle looked very familiar too. But there weren't any commercials for these products.  Hmmmm...

(edited)
On 6/13/2020 at 7:34 PM, Spunkygal said:

True confession: I’ve never had lamb! So I don’t know if I’d like it and I don’t see a lot of lamb in my grocery stores. I know I can substitute ground beef for lamb in recipes, but what does it taste like?

It's hard to describe but it definitely has a distinctive flavor.  I'm not a HUGE fan of lamb in general, although my husband loves it.  It definitely does taste different in different countries due to how it's raised.  Last fall we had lamb in the Patagonia region of Argentina, and it was VERY VERY strongly flavored, much moreso than the lamb we have in the states.

Any easy route to try lamb, before you go all in with a leg of lamb, would be to try lamb chops.  They are very quick and easy to prepare...and tend to have a lighter/softer flavor than a leg of lamb.

I make Shepherd's Pie with ground beef, but my MIL makes it with ground lamb.  I don't notice much of a flavor difference, to be honest, in that use of the meat.

Edited by Kelly
  • Love 1
On 6/6/2020 at 9:20 PM, rhys said:

I wonder if she did anything with that cheese topping she scraped off. Is it edible?

The rind is edible, although it's not typically eaten. 

Vacherin Mont d'Or is a Swiss cheese (or rather, Switzerland and France are vying for ownership of it LOL).  The milk for this cheese is the same milk that is used for Gruyère...but at a different time of the year.  

• Useful 1

@Kelly, thanks for the recommendation to try lamb chops. I’ve seen them on menus in some of our fine dining restaurants and think I’ll order them next time rather cooking them myself and possibly causing insult to the sweet little darlings!

I also make a great shepherd’s pie but with locally sourced ground beef. A friend told me that what I make is technically a cottage pie but I still call it shepherd’s pie. So dang good and easy.

OT from Ina but related to my shepherds pie, I must say when I need to add a bit of umami, I often use a healthy squeeze from the tube of tomato paste. That handy tube is a game-changer. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

Oh Ina, never stop being Ina.  The fennel soup gratin is something I think I would love. But way to make a seemingly humble dish and turn it into something that would probably cost around $100 to make as I do not have any of the liquors in my house. 

Not a problem at my house, although I am out of bubbly except for a single serving of Prosecco. I'm planning a trip to my favorite large liquor store Monday as they are allowing customers back in. Looking forward to stocking up.

I'm going to take another look at the beef stew - not much of a red wine drinker but I have many more bottles than I care to drink, and would be happy to use in a beef stew.

• Love 1

I finally remembered to watch this show. Love Ina but I didn't care for any of the desserts...maybe cause I'm not much of a dessert person.  But it was nice to see her on TV again.  Wish she'd invite a friend or neighbor in - even if they just sit on a stool and watch her. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I finally remembered to watch this show. Love Ina but I didn't care for any of the desserts...maybe cause I'm not much of a dessert person.  But it was nice to see her on TV again.  Wish she'd invite a friend or neighbor in - even if they just sit on a stool and watch her. 

The sundae was the only thing that appealed to me.  About inviting friends in ... on the TWOP Board years ago that was such an issue.  You enjoyed them, found them distracting, they were indicators of Ina's insecurities, she only invited rich people, and the list went on.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

What with social distancing and all, I don't know if that is even possible.

I made Ina's swordfish with the Caesar topping for Fourth of July. I didn't have any capers, but I don't like them, so it didn't matter. Delicious! I had a lot of leftover dressing because I didn't buy 3 lbs of fish. Anyway, the dressing is great on salads and I tossed some cooked potatoes in it to make an impromptu potato salad.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Ina made a mistake in a recent episode, I think.  She was making the apple sauce and said to put 1 or 2 teaspoons of cinnamon into the pot but when she grabbed her measuring spoon, it was clearly a tablespoon.  And a tablespoon makes more sense, given the size of the pot, than teaspoons.  

On 12/8/2020 at 10:56 AM, Door County Cherry said:

Ina made a mistake in a recent episode, I think.  She was making the apple sauce and said to put 1 or 2 teaspoons of cinnamon into the pot but when she grabbed her measuring spoon, it was clearly a tablespoon.  And a tablespoon makes more sense, given the size of the pot, than teaspoons.  

I just watched the episode and looked like a tsp to meyou can see the larger tbl. hanging down and it fit into a narrow spice jar. The recipe on the site calls got 2 tsp. which is what she said.

• Useful 1
27 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I just watched the episode and looked like a tsp to meyou can see the larger tbl. hanging down and it fit into a narrow spice jar. The recipe on the site calls got 2 tsp. which is what she said.

It looked huge to me but I didn't go back and rewatch or check the site so thanks for that information. 

I read the thread before I saw this episode and in my defense have looked at a ton of measuring spoons for my BFF who just got into cooking as part of he Christmas gift, 90% of tablespoons don’t fit into spice jars!

1 hour ago, schnauzergirl said:

I see that Barefoot Contessa is one of the shows on Discovery+.  I wonder if this means new episodes will be shown there, not on the Food Network.  Same thing for Chopped.

Discovery+ contains EVERYTHING that airs on cable plus some new content. I've not heard anything about BC being moved. I know they moved Property Bothers Forever Home there, but since I don't watch the bros, doesn't affect me. Ina does so few new shows, can't imagine they would move it to air exclusively on the streaming service.

• Love 2

Ina usually launches a new series in the spring, but I've seen nothing, including any promos for it being on Discovery+ instead of FN.  She did that modified version last year during the worst of COVID.  Maybe it's too soon for the crew to start normal filming.