Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10 Mayor Curley and the Last Hurrah (Season Finale)

preeya
  • Start Topic

S01.E10  Mayor Curley and the Last Hurrah

Summary: Jackie celebrates another moment in the spotlight, though an unfamiliar pang of guilt leaves him reflecting on his legacy. Decourcy considers the best course of action to finally carry out justice for the murdered guards. Jimmy is desperate to weasel his way out of the mess he's created, even if it means putting his brother's future into question. Jenny faces what has been haunting her all these years.

Edited by preeya
On 7/23/2019 at 7:12 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

And hey, Jimmy Ryan, who I find extremely stupid, is a career criminal and a CI.  But I bet they had something on him that would put him away if he didn't cooperate, not just his parent or sibling.  Maybe we'll find out.

Damn, it feels a little good to have been right.  I said back in episode six that no adult with his own family is going to jail for a criminal sibling, and lo and behold, Jimmy ratted on his brother Frankie and sent him to jail In exchange for Jimmy's own immunity, and Frankie had his lawyer force Jimmy to admit to killing Kinnicki in open court for revenge.  This is in keeping with my predictions and my view of human nature.  The writing got tighter since ep 6.

I know we've had this discussion before, and I did some reading about how prosthetic eyes and ocular implants work, and, depending on the level of damage, some of them can move, but not without limitations. https://ocularpro.com/the-fundamentals-of-prosthetic-eye-movement/ In the first scene of this ep--which took place about 27 years ago, when Jackie showed up to the funeral, Decourcy moved both of his eyes in exact accordance with each other toward Jackie.  I do not believe that this is a man who is supposed to have an eye that pops in and out.  

What I do believe is that Decourcy had a false eye as a plot device for episode one--so we could see how multi-faceted he was--and that the showrunners completely forgot about the prosthetic eye after that.  There was never a mention about it, he was never at home with Siobhan with the eye out ever, regardless of how early or late at night it was, and he never read or looked at anything for the rest of the season like a man who had anything other than two fully functioning eyes.  That's insulting and stupid.  Either it's part of his character or not.  House was a silly show, but they were 100% consistent that House needed a cane to get around for as long as that show ran.

There was a lot to be desired in this episode, but I thought Jackie and Jennifer were very, very good.  I thought the beat down that Kathy gave Kinnicki's wife was very realistic (and women fighting scenes are never realistic).  I thought there was no way Kick would have had the time to identify her uncle in the passing car quickly enough to spit on it, but nice try, show.

The acting and directing of Decourcy in the courtroom was abysmal.  When an attorney is sitting first chair in a jury trial, the worse the news, the less they are supposed to react.  When Frankie's attorney started asking Jimmy about Kinicki, there is no way in hell Decourcy would have turned around to look at his boss, not once, but twice.  No.  Fucking.  Way.  He would not have turned around for Jesus Christ himself.  When you're in that kind of bind, you can write a note, discreetly pass it to the person sitting second chair, and they can discreetly disseminate it.  That's it.  Suffolk County DA should have fired Decourcy for that performance alone.  Also there is no way in hell Decourcy would have openly signed with relief when the guilty verdict was read.  He would have had a poker face.  That's just the way it goes. (The actor who played Decourcy did a significantly better job at home with Siobhan.  I believed his performance then.  Too bad Siobhan is not a more supportive wife to him).

By contrast, Frankie's acting when the verdict was read was absolutely sublime.  He was completely stoic, except for telltale little twinges around his lips.  Bravo.

Um...not much else to say.  A pretty boring finale.  Glad the coalition didn't come into it at least.  I find myself rooting for Jackie.  There is something about his tenacity I can't quit.  I thought it was a great twist that Jackie warned Decourcy absolutely not to work with Jimmy, Decourcy did, and Jackie was vindicated.  I did not see that that coming.

If anyone takes Jackie down, though, I hope it's Decourcy, and I hope it's a slow burn.  Rachel is just too hot and too angry and she's not thinking critically, so I don't think she deserves the takedown.  

• Love 6

Yeah kind of anticlimactic.  In the aftermath of the shootout, there's some hard feelings, especially Rachel and other local cops blaming Jackie for getting Hank killed.

I guess Frankie is probably gone next unless he has some tales to tell from prison or something.  So the same for Kathy, Kick, the Ryan parents.  The actors who play Frankie and Kathy are both in the opening credits but they also have that cop who got killed in the credits too and he died several episodes ago.

And maybe Jimmy isn't heard from again for awhile at least.

I don't know how Dee and Jackie even pretend to work together on a case.  The local cops like Rachel have seething rage for Jackie so unless they run some season long sting on him, investigating him behind his back, there's little reason for these characters to interact regularly.

Not sure what other kind of case they could have which would be as entertaining as a Charlestown armed robbery crew.  Obviously The Town is what people who never lived in Boston think of when they think of Charlestown and the Boston area in general.

Plus there's a chance for action, whereas watching them in court rooms and police headquarters doesn't really make for entertaining TV necessary.  They kind of hinted at it at the end, with Dee talking to the police captain about how Dee will help them prosecute more boring cases.

• Love 1

The highlight for me was Jennifer kicking her awful mom out. She was a horrible garbage person, and maybe its bad of me to cheery for an elderly woman being thrown out onto the streets, she was such a horrible hateful person who did something so evil to her own daughter, it was good to see her get some karma. 

Somewhat lackluster finale, but I am interested to see where they go from here. I dont really know how Jackie and Decourcy can keep working together, unless its a really big ass situation that is super time sensitive or something. I think that Decourcy will be the one who brings Jackie down, at least if anyone does. Rachel is too pissed off and hot with anger, but I feel like Decourcy can play the long game.

It is interesting that the advice that Jackie gave Decourcy about not giving the deal to Jimmy turns out to be pretty godd advice.

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I dont really know how Jackie and Decourcy can keep working together, unless its a really big ass situation that is super time sensitive or something.

This entire relationship is total bullshit. There is no way in hell that a rogue FBI agent spends more time with the local cops than he does with other FBI agents. Doesn't he have a partner, which is usually the norm? Not that anyone with any brains would want him as a partner. Damon and Affleck have pushed this to the limits of believability.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm not sure I agree with "Jackie got the cop killed" as an accurate statement. It looked like the exit wasn't covered properly, and they just jumped out of the Brinks truck. Any one of the three of them could have gotten shot.

Jenny's scene was great, but I feel like the plot was kind of tacked on for lack of much to do for the actor. The school plot was good but they summarily dropped it.

I thought the little girl with PTSD would be much more key to the case.

I liked the show and will certainly watch season. But the show is really Ward and Jackie. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

It is interesting that the advice that Jackie gave Decourcy about not giving the deal to Jimmy turns out to be pretty godd advice.

Jackie has been giving good advice to Ward consistently, starting with the grand jury idea. It so happens, some of the advice was in enlightened self-interest, but still useful.

I loved - I don't want to be accused of politicizing a grand jury, which I did do but still.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, scrb said:

They kind of hinted at it at the end, with Dee talking to the police captain about how Dee will help them prosecute more boring cases.

Fundamentally, the show is about the Boston Miracle, so Ward could spent a lot of time out of the spotlight (since he's toxic for politics) racking up a lot of wins and leading to a big gun bust with Jackie.

I like them working together. I don't really care if technically an FBI agent wouldn't. They established early on that Jackie is trading on his big mob bust and said in the bar how he was 'the hero again here' and had a special on channel 5.

I hope the "I'm coming for you" angle gets turned around. Jackie's the only friend Ward has.

Who was preaching at the end in the church? Was it supposed to be a famous speech? I know 'city on a hill' is used a lot.

6 hours ago, preeya said:

This entire relationship is total bullshit. There is no way in hell that a rogue FBI agent spends more time with the local cops than he does with other FBI agents. Doesn't he have a partner, which is usually the norm? Not that anyone with any brains would want him as a partner. Damon and Affleck have pushed this to the limits of believability.

I wonder if they’re going to get into the whitey bulger story?  Jackie is similar the real life John Connolly.  The show talked about Jackie being a star in the FBI because of his takedown of the Angiulo crime organization.  In real life,John Connolly did it with whitey Bulger’s help while Bulger became the new crime boss in Boston. 

The last episode they brought up Whitey Bulger.  And in real life Connolly warned Whitey Bulger when local and state cops were on to him.  That would explain Jackie’s always sniffing around the local cops. 

• Love 1

I'm not sure I agree with "Jackie got the cop killed" as an accurate statement. It looked like the exit wasn't covered properly, and they just jumped out of the Brinks truck. Any one of the three of them could have gotten shot.

Jackie's and the FBI's arrival made the local police hesitate and delayed their reaction a bit, which gave the robbers a chance to run back to their car, and then time to make up their mind and plan their last stand.

15 hours ago, Lemons said:

I wonder if they’re going to get into the whitey bulger story?  Jackie is similar the real life John Connolly.  The show talked about Jackie being a star in the FBI because of his takedown of the Angiulo crime organization.  In real life,John Connolly did it with whitey Bulger’s help while Bulger became the new crime boss in Boston. 

The last episode they brought up Whitey Bulger.  And in real life Connolly warned Whitey Bulger when local and state cops were on to him.  That would explain Jackie’s always sniffing around the local cops. 

I read an interview awhile back and the showrunners ( at least then ) stated that they would NOT being doing the Bulger story. 

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/city-on-a-hill-atx-television-festival-whitey-bulger-1203236851/#targetText='City on a Hill' Renewed,Boston for 'The Town.'&targetText=We brought the idea to,rest is all his fault.”

Could they change their mind for S2 ? Sure, I guess. 

• Love 1

I found the whole episode boring and random. Lots of tidying up loose ends, in a slapdash fashion. Again, Jimmy was the only one I found compelling.

What did I miss? Jimmy copped to killing Kinicki, which I suspected. But what was significant about it? I've been expecting the big payoff about Kinicki all season.

All in all, a disappointment. I'll be back next season, to mock the accents, but I'm hoping the story improves.

• Love 1

The payoff is that Dee gave him immunity to bust Frankie and crew on the Revere guard killings but Jimmy gets away with killing Kinicki.

I'm sure they're not happy to get a conviction on a murder case at the cost of letting a murderer go free on another case.

13 hours ago, FinnishViewer said:

Jackie's and the FBI's arrival made the local police hesitate and delayed their reaction a bit, which gave the robbers a chance to run back to their car, and then time to make up their mind and plan their last stand.

That's a long walk. The cops in the Brinks truck just jumped out in clear line of fire.

2 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I found the whole episode boring and random. Lots of tidying up loose ends, in a slapdash fashion. Again, Jimmy was the only one I found compelling.

What did I miss? Jimmy copped to killing Kinicki, which I suspected. But what was significant about it? I've been expecting the big payoff about Kinicki all season.

All in all, a disappointment. I'll be back next season, to mock the accents, but I'm hoping the story improves.

2 hours ago, scrb said:

The payoff is that Dee gave him immunity to bust Frankie and crew on the Revere guard killings but Jimmy gets away with killing Kinicki.

I'm sure they're not happy to get a conviction on a murder case at the cost of letting a murderer go free on another case.

Additionally, you could also say that Jimmy gets away with a lot more that people don't know about under this blanket immunity deal. Jackie helped him dispose of a body too.

It also cost Ward any political ambitions. His campaign manager called him to back out. And he's basically demoted.

• Love 1

Is anyone else wondering how the informant with the red sedan knew where Jackie would be and that he'd need the car and planted a bomb that night?  Was I missing something? 

I wonder if DeCourcy is like Kendall on Succession. Thought he had a slam dunk, got screwed, but he's playing dumb to trap Jackie. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, scrb said:

But who's Kinicki? Why is he important? Why is Kick having nightmares about him? Too many loose ends. Why was the cute priest brought in to the story, just to be discarded? What about the handsy reverend? What about the Phoenix reporter who's lying in the hospital in a coma? And what ABOUT DeCourcy's eye, as @LibertarianSlut points out? We were teased a bit with DeCourcy's smooth ability to spin a tale and even get someone as skeptical and cynical as Jackie to buy what he's selling. Then he turned into some kind of bumbling idiot. Sigh. I don't know. There is a lot going begging here.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I think DeCourcy doesn't know who he can trust other than Rachel. He doesn't trust his boss, he sure as fuck doesn't trust Jackie, he can't trust cops, maybe even his wife because she may say the wrong thing to the wrong person, albeitly not meaning to hurt him. 

So he is playing like a beat dog, so everyone just leaves him alone while they build the case against Jackie. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

But who's Kinicki? Why is he important? Why is Kick having nightmares about him? Too many loose ends. Why was the cute priest brought in to the story, just to be discarded? What about the handsy reverend? What about the Phoenix reporter who's lying in the hospital in a coma? And what ABOUT DeCourcy's eye, as @LibertarianSlut points out? We were teased a bit with DeCourcy's smooth ability to spin a tale and even get someone as skeptical and cynical as Jackie to buy what he's selling. Then he turned into some kind of bumbling idiot. Sigh. I don't know. There is a lot going begging here.

Even though I stuck with this the entire season and I'll likely be back next season, this was one of the most convoluted stories I've ever seen.  I totally agree with @Pepper Mostly that there are entirely too many loose ends and too much unfinished business.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

But who's Kinicki? Why is he important? Why is Kick having nightmares about him?

On the stand, Jimmy said they found out he was an informant and he killed him for it. The murder was currently unsolved, as we saw throughout the season.

Kick said, after the sentencing, that she saw Jimmy do it and asked why he wasn't in trouble for it too.

39 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I think DeCourcy doesn't know who he can trust other than Rachel. He doesn't trust his boss, he sure as fuck doesn't trust Jackie, he can't trust cops, maybe even his wife because she may say the wrong thing to the wrong person, albeitly not meaning to hurt him. 

He shouldn't say shit to his wife. It is very clear to me she will throw him under the bus for her own ambitions.

40 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

So he is playing like a beat dog, so everyone just leaves him alone while they build the case against Jackie. 

Like I said before, the show is about the Boston Miracle, so I think Ward is poised to be in a position to really clean up the streets. He seems to get along with the police captain well enough, so they could just clean up the streets out of the limelight for a while.

I agree that an S2 should have tighter plotting and a more straightforward story.

55 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I imagine they'll keep most of the cast around, as to how the wife is getting on with Frankie in jail. I'm really interested in if the daughter will seek revenge on Jimmy.

Would be surprising though.

Can't really show Frankie doing much in prison and Kathy without money is just going to get into more jawing matches and fights with other Southie women, to show how crazy these broads are, how crude and tough?

They could do like The Wire and have some other crew replace Frankie, the way Marlo took over once Avon and Stringer was put away.

I know the lore about all these bank robbers in Charlestown is a popular trope so it wouldn't surprise me if the villain for next season is also another bank robber.

I'm not sure if giving all these scenes about the Ryans' family life was suppose to humanize them.  Frankie is a murderer but he's just trying to provide a better life for his family and friends?

1 hour ago, scrb said:

I'm not sure if giving all these scenes about the Ryans' family life was suppose to humanize them.  Frankie is a murderer but he's just trying to provide a better life for his family and friends?

Right? He shot three men in cold blood. Threw their bodies in the river. I don't care if he loves his kids. Townie trash. 

• Love 1

So that was it?  As others have said, a lot of stuff was concluded, but a lot of stuff was either left hanging or I guess we were supposed to either not care or draw our own conclusions.

I think part of the problem is that we only had 10 episodes and a lot of story to tell, and a lot of side stories to also tell, so things had to move quickly.  Hot young priest wasn't really a character; he was a plot device for Jenny and Jackie to have some kind of issue over.  Kick's problems at school, the other guys from Frankie and Jimmy's crew, even Reverend Fields turned out to be not nearly as important as the issues that came up because of him and how others reacted.  I feel like if we had a little more time to flesh out the story, we might've gotten more depth to a lot of who and what we saw.  I realize that 10 full-hour episodes is about the same run time as 13 44-minute episodes on regular TV, but there's still pacing and allowing the story to unfold and allowing the viewers to have a little more time to get to know the characters better.

Instead they rushed us from point to point, sometimes counting on viewers to fill in the blanks themselves and sometimes spending way too much time on things that turned out to mean nothing, and even as I was watching the final courtroom scene and knew that it was the culmination of everything we'd seen, I still got to the end and said "So that was it?"

That sounds rather negative, so I should clarify that I actually thought the show was pretty good.  Not great, but pretty good.  Lots of things along the way that I thought could've been done better, but overall it was just a story about a bunch of different people from different backgrounds, and sometimes the same backgrounds, and some of the crap they went through over six months or whatever it was.

I have no idea what the second season will be like, but if Rohr and Ward are back again, I'll probably watch it again.

• Love 4
On 8/21/2019 at 10:53 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

But who's Kinicki? Why is he important? 

That's the part that bothers me.  It would be one thing if Jimmy had killed a cop or Federal agent.  He killed one of his own.  Yes, we don't like when killers are set free but it is only a matter of time before Jimmy ends up back in jail.  That will happen with 100% certainty.  The fact that Ward put away the folks for killing the armored car guards should be a big win for him.  

• Love 1

It is a big win, but it was the cost of it. He got blindsided by the Kinicki confession. That was the problem. If he had known beforehand then it's a different strategy. They still might have offered the deal if they knew, but they would have been ahead of the narrative. 

That's all true.  The problem is that the entire season arc was centered around the great mystery of Kinicki.  We hear his name early, and it's clearly important, but it's not clear who in the heck he is.  A little girl is having nightmares about him, the bad guys obviously knew him and something happened to him, the good guys want to get to the bottom of it.  We're all supposed to be wondering who Kinicki is and how he connects all these people.  But if we don't really know anything about him, why should we care?  The great mystery didn't exactly suck people in.  It slowly revealed itself over the course of the season, but IMO too slowly to really be that interesting.  So the lynchpin of the entire narrative didn't really work.

When Jimmy said on the stand "I killed him" it was the big DUM DUM DUMMM! moment, and it took me a minute to even figure out why.  Oh yeah, no one knew (except most viewers had probably figured it out).  Ward didn't know, and the fact that this meant that he'd given blanket immunity to a killer, and that it will look bad on him if he ever wants to run for a public office later, takes just a bit too much to unravel for most people to go "Oh wow, what a twist! Ward is screwed! Nice!"  Instead, I'm sure a lot of people went "Yeah, so...?"

I was more like "So that's it?"  Some guy killed another guy for being a rat, and the guy who did the killing is himself a rat.  It bugged him so much that he was ready to kill himself.  We finally find out who Kinicki is and what happened to him.  But in the end, these are all horrible people, every one of them, they kill and other and betray each other all the time, so why do we care?

Edited by Orbert
  • Love 2

It didn't bug him he killed a rat, he was going to hang himself because he didn't want to rat out his brother (probably could care less about the rest of the crew). He did try to talk his brother out of going saying he would do the job with the normal crew (and get them arrested instead).

I don't think the police care about criminals offing other criminals, but killing an informant before the case is brought to trial wastes a lot of time and taxpayer money. The way I see it he killed Kinicki before Kinicki could take down his brother and in the end he ends up taking him down himself.

Yeah, sorry, I phrased that poorly.  He himself is a rat, and that's what he was upset about.  He's such a rat that he ratted out his own brother, and that's why he was about to kill himself.

One thing I never did figure out:  It all started with the armored car heist, and Frankie hid all the money behind the new medicine cabinet.  Two episodes later (or so), money is tight, there are bills to pay, and with mom's hospital bills, Frankie eventually decides that they need to do another job.  What happened to all the money from the first job?

53 minutes ago, Orbert said:

Yeah, sorry, I phrased that poorly.  He himself is a rat, and that's what he was upset about.  He's such a rat that he ratted out his own brother, and that's why he was about to kill himself.

One thing I never did figure out:  It all started with the armored car heist, and Frankie hid all the money behind the new medicine cabinet.  Two episodes later (or so), money is tight, there are bills to pay, and with mom's hospital bills, Frankie eventually decides that they need to do another job.  What happened to all the money from the first job?

Money laundering is expensive. You basically funnel the money into your business in small amounts over time and claim it as normal income which you then pay taxes on. You also have to split that money among multiple people and they don't do many robberies in a year. One episode showed they tried to make money gambling to wash it and ended up losing it all. You also have court costs that eat into that money and supporting families of those arrested. The guns they used for each robbery were expensive and ditched after to make sure nobody could trace them.

You noticed that the money stolen was from local small business that got hit at the armoured car just before being deposited and not from the bank itself that probably has records of sequential serial numbers from money they get from the FED that can be traced so the amounts stolen can't be more then a few hundred grand back ion the 80's during peak holidays.

Also the robbers didn't live in expensive houses, drives expensive cars, wear expensive clothing or jewelry or even take expensive vacations. These people had normal jobs and robbed to maybe live a better life or retire early.

12 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

To be fair, they did show expenses building up and the wife was worried about it running out. She flipped out on them losing it gambling. 

I thought she more flipped out about them going in public and gambling with the dirty money.  

Also, - how did Kick/Kit know that Uncle Jimmy was in the back of the squad so she could spit on him?

Ah, I get it.  I remember the gambling now and Cathy being pissed about it.  With so much going on, I missed that the money was being laundered.

Kick was standing next to Cathy as the squad car with Uncle Jimmy went by.  As pointed out upthread, it seems unlikely that she had time to see him, recognize him, and spit.  Maybe Cathy saw the squad coming and said something like "Hey here comes Uncle Jimmy".

^^^

I don't think Kick could have known that Jimmy was in that car, and there was no way she could ascertain it in time enough to spit judging by the speed the car was going.

It's these types of "payoffs" that I loathe.  We are supposed to get a deep, visceral thrill out of a young woman facing the harsh realities of the justice system (remember, she had just had a conversation with her mom about why Jimmy isn't going to jail even though he killed Kinicki and her mom told her the justice system was rigged against people like them).  So the showrunners think we're going to be so satisfied that she spit on the car, but in reality, a bunch of us (I said it up thread) are like, "how did she know he was in that car?"  And it's not a payoff at all, because you can see the man behind the curtain trying to manipulate you into feeling a certain way.

Something is only satisfying if it's realistic to me.  If a show is going to stretch my suspension of disbelief so far, I'm not going to be like, "well that was awesome, I'm just going to fan-wave it."  To me, there's like a fan-wave ratio, and it's probably that I am willing to fan-wave one thing per every two good hours of TV I get.  This...didn't meet my ratio.

Tell a true story that could have actually happened.  For instance, everything that happened with Benny, Jackie's daughter, could have actually happened, except maybe for that ridiculous scene when Jackie was making a fuss at the rehab.  

I loved this show going in, because it seemed so realitistic, but it got less and less real.  I have been too lazy to look this up, but I do not think you can successfully convene a grand jury to get info in alternative ways the way Decourcy did.  There's the Constitutional right against self-incrimination, for starters.  I am sure that there are really strategic ways of getting info from a witness by borderline misuse of the grand jury, and that's a story I'm here to watch.  What I do not think is going to happen is that the DA is going to start asking questions for the purpose that the grand jury is convened aka what happened to Kinicki, he is going to mention an armored car robbery in passing, and the members of the grand jury are going to serendipitously take the ball and run with it and demand to know the witness's alibi for the armored car robbery, which is not what we're here to discuss and has no bearing on the matter at hand.  What the...?  By the's show's internal reasoning, Decourcy could have mentioned Oswald and the grand jury would demand to know where the witness was when JFK was shot. That was when the show jumped the shark for me.

On 8/19/2019 at 9:54 PM, Lemons said:

I agree. And are we to believe that DeCoursey turned on Rohr just because Rohr and the FBI took the credit for a bust? Since when does the DA’s office ever get credit for solving big media-attention crimes? 

I wish I didn’t like Keven Bacon so much, because I’m going to hate it when Rohr goes down.

Is he going to go down? Because I'm totally rooting for him. 

Again, the show did cheat, but it's a fair cheat - they said Jackie basically does what he wants because he took down the crime family a while ago. No, that's not realistic, but the show copped to it right off, so it's enough of a buy in for me. 

I still don't understand why Jimmy was working with Rohr, and why he was willing to tell Rohr about the armored car heist that *he himself* was involved in. We're told how important family is to these criminals. What was Jimmy's motivation to hurt all the people that he cared about, and what's more, the only family likely to stand up for his own kids? It just doesn't make sense to me.