Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Search and Rescue

• Start Topic

Tulip teams with Jesus Christ to plumb Masada’s dungeons to free whatever remains of Cassidy. Meanwhile, Jesse’s mission to Australia may be over before it’s even started – as he picks himself up from the wreckage of his travels and finds he’s stranded.

Original air date 2019.08.18

Like a lot of this season there were some good bits tonight but also that frustrating sense of “get on with it.” (When Cassidy got dragged back to his cell yet again I nearly screamed).  When you simultaneously have your main character stuck in a boat the whole episode and your secondary characters still circling around an escape plot, from the same place, that’s now gone on for four episodes, the show feels like its treading water (literally in Jesse’s case tonight).

The showrunners should take a cue from The Saint of Killers tonight:  blow a hole in the damn thing and just go ahead and jump to where you want to go.

• Love 5

I was looking forward to some scenes in Bensonhurst. Looks like that's not happening now.

Boy, Hoover 2 will talk your ear right off!

Is the Earth dead now that the cowboy shot it? Did he just cause the eventual end of the world?

• Love 1
On 8/17/2019 at 7:54 AM, showme said:

I don't get it, what happened to the pilot's hand? and his legs? why did he die? If it is the elements, why isn't Jessie affected at all?

The pilot;d fate was basically due to Jessie using his powers of command without considering the consequence. The pilot's legs got burnt by the sun because Jessie commanded him to be optimistic and so he did not bother to cover them. Then Jessie got tired of his excess chat, and commanded him to stop being optimistic so he started crying with the pain of his burnt legs and so Jessie commanded him to feel no pain. Later the pilot was leaning on the edge with his hand in the water and did not feel the pain of it being bitten off by a shark. He died from loss of blood.

Edited by meira.hand
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I don't get it, Jesse can tell Arseface to go to hell and Eugene ends up there, but he can't tell someone to live and he lives. Jesse should have just told the pilot to go to heaven or a hospital.

I thought the pilot was going to wind up reanimated and break out of his burial shroud, only to be eaten by sharks.  Or, he could have been zombified.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, meira.hand said:

The pilot;d fate was basically due to Jessie using his powers of command without considering the consequence. The pilot's legs got burnt by the sun because Jessie commanded him to be optimistic and so he did not bother to cover them. Then Jessie got tired of his excess chat, and commanded him to stop being optimistic so he started crying with the pain of his burnt legs and so Jessie commanded him to feel no pain. Later the pilot was leaning on the edge with his hand in the water and did not feel the pain of it being bitten off by a shark. He died from loss of blood.

Jessie is such a horrible person.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, showme said:

That goes along with the poster art for the season.

Not sure what to say about this episode, it seemed like just a placeholder.  I thought they were going to treat the Jesus character seriously at first (I should have known better), but I see Tulip has him robbing banks next week, so I guess not.  This show is seriously sacrilegious.  I also thought for a moment Jesus was going to heal Herr Starr's ear.  

• Love 2

Honestly, why were people stupidly complaining about Good Omens being sacrilegious earlier this year when this show has been on for four seasons now?!

Poor Steve the pilot, I hope this is a wake up call for Jessie to stop being such a dick and to use his powers more responsibly. The pilot is now dead because first he made him take him to Australia, then told him to be more positive so he didn't notice his horrible burns, then told him to stop being positive leading him to feel horrible pain, then telling him not to feel pain, so he didn't notice when a freaking shark ate his hand and he died of blood loss. God might be messing with them, but Jessie's asshole behavior and abuse of his power doesn't make him look much better.

Much like last week, this episode had its moments (like Tulip becoming besties with Jesus or whatever is happening with the angel who was Cassidy's cell mate) but it was mostly just a lot of the same. Jessie tries to get places and misuses The Word, Tulip tries to break Cass out and fuck with The Grail, Herr Star is creepy and hates Jessie, and Cass almost escapes jail but then gets thrown back into the cell. At least now we seem to actually be making some freaking progress. The shows almost over, and I want to see something actually happen, not just more gross out crap and "lets see how fucked up we can get!" scenes that lead nowhere.

• Love 2

Jesse really doesn't have much of a handle on the voice at all. I actually do like that there's consequences.

On 8/19/2019 at 8:14 AM, AnimeMania said:

I don't get it, Jesse can tell Arseface to go to hell and Eugene ends up there, but he can't tell someone to live and he lives. Jesse should have just told the pilot to go to heaven or a hospital. 

Jesse isn't good on the long term thinking about using this voice. When he did tell Eugene to go to hell, he was really ticked and lashed out. I wouldn't be surprised if he just didn't remember.

On 8/18/2019 at 11:45 PM, bobbyjoe said:

(When Cassidy got dragged back to his cell yet again I nearly screamed).

I can deal with 2 botched escape attempts, but you've got to move the plot.

Oh, so this is where the 'real Jesus' comment came from. How is there a real Jesus? I thought the Humperdoo Jesus was inbred from the real Jesus? Or were there a series of clones?

Oh, ffs, why am I bothering? Real Jesus was cool though.

No one reads ridiculous lines as good as Herr Starr. Offering the food court to Jesus.

Sending off the pilot was the first Preacher thing Jesse did in a while.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Oh, so this is where the 'real Jesus' comment came from. How is there a real Jesus? I thought the Humperdoo Jesus was inbred from the real Jesus? Or were there a series of clones?

I wondered what you meant by flashback, but anyway, so we don't know where regular Jesus came from? The original peepee Humperdoo was supposed to be the direct descendent which is why they're eliminating all the 'no dance' Humper clones that Jesse released, no? 🤔

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1

In a prior season, they showed 'real Jesus' getting it on with some woman in, uh, Jesus-times, prior to being arrested. That was the only time they showed him. I don't get the point of the Grail making and preserving his descendants if the real one is around.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't get the point of the Grail making and preserving his descendants if the real one is around.

Exactly, the only answer I can think of is that 'regular' Jesus is some form of stand in, which may well explain the way that Featherstone spoke to him in the last episode, which was with a great deal of disrespect, something you wouldn't have expected if he were the genuine descendent.

No, I think Featherstone is just hell bent on revenge for Tulip and Cass escaping and is out of fucks to give. When she first encountered real Jesus, she immediately knelt down. She isn't really interested in him wandering around wanting to bless these idiots when she has shit to do.

• Love 2

The Real Jesus is there for the Heaven and Hell summit.  Humperdoo is God's creation and He is clearly invested in him as some sort of "other" son.  (I, too, thought he was originally supposed to be Jesus.)

The way this show runs, it reminds me of comic books, which is why I like it so much.  I can visualize all of the show on the page (if that makes sense).  

I'm sorry for Steve the pilot -- but in a way, he reminded me of Roy Batty from Bladerunner -- screaming at God for killing him before his time and wanting more life.  It's the age old struggle -- but this time we had Jessie, God's representative on Earth, fumbling impotently in between the two.  Vulnerable Man killed by Fate and railing at God for letting it happen -- while the Priest, who is supposed to have God's power vested, can do nothing.

I liked it.

As for sacrilege -- this show is full of sacrilege.  I'm sure the comic book was/is, too.  If you're going to bring "Preacher" to life, that's what you're committing to.  

I, for one, enjoy it.  It makes me think.  (I'm a practicing Episcopalian, by the way.  And I'm not afraid to think for myself.)

Edited by Captanne

I don't think that's correct. Herr Starr brought Jesse to see Humperdoo and called him Jesus' descendant. In the start of that episode we saw real Jesus getting it on with some woman, which implied she got pregnant to me. In this episode, real Jesus asked where 'his son' was to Herr Starr. Starr's fumbling response and then talking to Hoover 2 indicated that real Jesus was referring to Humperdoo. So I don't think real Jesus and Humperdoo are separate 'creations' and I don't know why I'm so invested in this.

I call him...Hoover 2 - what do you want? I love his line readings.

I actually love Featherstone. I don't want her to get revenge on Tulip, but I like that they really duke it out, and Featherstone always seems to have an exit door (literally flying) away to fight again.

I think that what's sometimes forgotten when making tv shows based on comic books is shooting in that comic book style. It's supposed to be hyper-real and stylized. I think this is something the Walking Dead forgot and why I lost interest. It's so drab.

Yeah, I just watched it last night and God stands there in the opening scene saying, "He's part of the grand plan" and makes it pretty clear that Humperdoo is not Jesus.  In other words, Jesus is there as part of the summit and is being treated like Hitler, like a VIP with a seat at the table.  Humperdoo, on the other hand, is a cretin and God is afraid he's being treated like an afterthought.  So He keeps asking after Humperdoo's welfare to make sure he's not forgotten about.

I like your interpretation and I'm not sure it's any different than what I'm saying.  I think GMTA.  

On 8/19/2019 at 12:44 PM, showme said:

In my eyes? "Anytime Jesse tries to help someone this season, they done get killed." Feuding guys? Both dead, and their camels to boot. Child that's in a house of omega pervs? Shot and killed by a stray bullet. Pilot who would probably not help Jesse if not for The Voice? Legs burnt to a crisp, hand bitten off by a shark while not knowing it happened, dead.

I'm not getting Actual Jesus being here. If he's here, then why Humperdoo? He meets Tulip, and I wait for the pissing that doesn't come.

On 8/21/2019 at 11:59 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

Jesus-times

Well put. 😜

On 8/19/2019 at 10:14 AM, AnimeMania said:

Reasons! Or maybe writing inconsistencies.

On 8/19/2019 at 3:46 AM, Sandman87 said:

Is the Earth dead now that the cowboy shot it? Did he just cause the eventual end of the world?

That was funny and awesome. And then Eugene comes out of the hole, all, "Okay, fine, let's go with this." Is it odd that it was daytime on both sides of the world?

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:
On 8/19/2019 at 3:46 AM, Sandman87 said:

That was funny and awesome. And then Eugene comes out of the hole, all, "Okay, fine, let's go with this." Is it odd that it was daytime on both sides of the world?

Since the Masada Summit was to plan how to cause the "Apocalypse", The Saint of Killers might have saved them a couple of steps.

It depends on how long it took them to fall/walk/climb from Texas to Australia.

16 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

It depends on how long it took them to fall/walk/climb from Texas to Australia.

Ah. I thought it was instantaneous. Also: I thought that the other side of the U.S. would be China. Is that a myth?

Re:  Jesus vs. Humperdoo

Humperdoo is definitely meant to be Jesus's earthly descendant which began with a sexual liaison that Jesus had with a human woman before he was crucified/resurrected/ascended to heaven.  After 2000 years of subsequent inbred generations, we end up with the intellectual moron that is Humperdoo, although since he is a direct descendant, he presumably contains that same divine spark passed on initially from Jesus's "dad".  Apparently, the original plan of the Grail was dependent on the assumption that Jesus's descendant could successfully bond with Genesis, but we saw last season that was not the case.

So, why is Humperdoo still important if Jesus is around?  I can only speculate at this point but perhaps there being an earthly messiah, that is a human savior imbued with the essence of God, is an important part of the apocalyptic plans.  Jesus has passed beyond his human stature and now exists as a celestial being, which is why he is representing heaven at the summit.  He is more God than man at this point.  Perhaps there being another man who is still a living breathing human being and can bridge that connection between heaven and earth makes Humperdoo essential to the bigger plan.  It seems to be God and Jesus who are particularly interested in Humperdoo at this point so even Starr doesn't appear to understand what they have planned for him.

I feel like this show has lost whatever flimsy plot it has and is basically just fucking around and trying to be gross and shocking. It's not really that funny or clever.

The actors are all better than the material. 

Will stick it out bc I'm almost done the season, but it's a slog.