Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

Ross is given hope for the Despards' return to Honduras but finds his new nemesis Ralph Hanson has returned to Truro. Morwenna, still struggling with the loss of her son, starts to secretly slip away from the village, leaving Drake to wonder where she goes. Sam and Rosina become close as Rosina starts to lend a hand with the school. Geoffrey Charles and Cecily continue meeting in secret but discovering the nature of Ralph and Cary's business plan leaves them in turmoil.

Ned is a fool.

Ross is a jackass.

George is a fool and a jackass.

I don't know how Kitty, Demezla, and poor Elizabeth put up with these idiots.

Poor Valentine, Morwenna and John.

I'm glad Cecily and Geoffrey Charles decided to elope.

I don't like what they are doing with Caroline.

• Love 8

I don't understand. Hansen, the guy who wants his daughter to marry George, paid that girl who works for Demelza to spy on Ned, right? He did not pay her to help destroy Trenwith and possibly kill George, right? What was the plan there? I was making dinner so I must've missed something.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

Ned is a fool.

Ross is a jackass.

George is a fool and a jackass.

I don't know how Kitty, Demezla, and poor Elizabeth put up with these idiots.

Poor Valentine, Morwenna and John.

I'm glad Cecily and Geoffrey Charles decided to elope.

I don't like what they are doing with Caroline.

I'm also not a fan of what they are doing with Caroline--they're basically regressing her back to where she was in the beginning.

Tess is annoying--and Demelza was a dumbass for hiring her and then taking that long to fire her. 

Geoffrey Charles has grown on me. In the beginning of the season, I was calling him Regency Douche, but I've ended up enjoying him more than I thought I would.

And though I'm still not convinced Morwenna is a very good actress in general, I think she's doing pretty well with the John storyline--it's certainly more compelling than anything she's gotten to do for awhile, though I did find it weird that they went episodes without ever mentioning him until recently. 

4 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

I don't understand. Hansen, the guy who wants his daughter to marry George, paid that girl who works for Demelza to spy on Ned, right? He did not pay her to help destroy Trenwith and possibly kill George, right? What was the plan there? I was making dinner so I must've missed something.

There was some talk of instigating something that drove George back to London. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, Zella said:

There was some talk of instigating something that drove George back to London. 

Thank you. But there was every possibility something horrible could've happened to George, his family, and Trenwith, so that was some risky business. You can't always control a mob once you unleash them.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

Thank you. But there was every possibility something horrible could've happened to George, his family, and Trenwith, so that was some risky business. You can't always control a mob once you unleash them.

Oh yeah agreed for sure--it was a terrible plan and I am not sure how out-of-hand he wanted, but it was a very risky venture. I was actually a bit confused myself on why he wanted George back in London. Unless it was because he himself was sick of Cornwall but still needed to deal with George? 

• Love 1

It was risky, but Hanson did not want Ned back in Honduras so he needed Ned to lead the uprising.  Going after George for the mine was the best opportunity in Cornwall to discredit Ned, and prove to the Crown that Ned was dangerous and a rebel.  Hanson probably believed the mob would do some damage, but didn't think they would be brave enough to kill.  Very dumb of him.  Mobs by their very nature can be dangerous even if they have the best motives.

Also, when they were in London, George still had half his marbles, and they were getting business done.  George goes to Cornwall, and completely loses it.  Suddenly, Hanson is getting told George can't sign anything, George has gone North, etc.  Hanson wants to move forward with their business and getting Cecily to marry George so he wants to go back to London where things seemed to be on track.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 4

The sound cut out on us for a good few minutes so we missed some stuff (all of other channels werre working just fine so it had to be the station).

I wish ross would bail on ned. I know he really wants to believe in his friend but ned's a loose cannon at this point.

Well, we know george is on the mend bc his burning hatred for ross is beginning to return at full force.

Question: why do ross and co. keep returning to the same tavern where they literally keep running into hanson everytime they go there? It'd be an easy way to avoid some drama if they found a new joint to hang out at. 

The maid girl is finally fired!!! Yay!

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Well, we know george is on the mend bc his burning hatred for ross is beginning to return at full force.

LOL As soon as George was seething about Ross showing up and got all high and mighty, I was like, "Well, someone's feeling better!" 

• LOL 14
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Zella said:

I'm also not a fan of what they are doing with Caroline--they're basically regressing her back to where she was in the beginning.

Same here. She's talking through Horace way too much, and what doesn't she understand about patient confidentiality? It might not have been called that back then, but Dwight wants to keep things private. He's being kind of a condescending ass about it, teasing her that keeping secrets is good for a marriage, but he's not wrong not to want to talk about his patients with Caroline. Though you'd think he give her a bit of information that doesn't reveal George's identity: "I'm putting into practice some of my ideas about grief," or whatever.

9 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

I wish ross would bail on ned. I know he really wants to believe in his friend but ned's a loose cannon at this point.

It's like Demelza with Tess, almost. What has to happen before Ross tells Ned, "Look, I believe in your cause, but you're going about it in absolutely the wrong way, and I can't risk my family for you."

I thought for sure Kitty's illness would end up being a pregnancy, so so far, I'm pleasantly surprised that cliché was avoided.

It's about time Demelza fired Tess. Trying to burn down the house should have been the dealbreaker, but at least she finally let her go.

9 hours ago, Zella said:
9 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

LOL As soon as George was seething about Ross showing up and got all high and mighty, I was like, "Well, someone's feeling better!" 

It looked like that was what Ross was thinking, too. Hee.

I'm glad this is the last season, because just about everyone here is working my last nerve. Heh. (Except Uncle Cary, who will always be a magnificent asshole.)

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Same here. She's talking through Horace way too much, and what doesn't she understand about patient confidentiality? It might not have been called that back then, but Dwight wants to keep things private. He's being kind of a condescending ass about it, teasing her that keeping secrets is good for a marriage, but he's not wrong not to want to talk about his patients with Caroline. Though you'd think he give her a bit of information that doesn't reveal George's identity: "I'm putting into practice some of my ideas about grief," or whatever.

I agree about Dwight, seems like he could be vague about it but keep her a little bit informed about  his practice.

I don't know if it was customary back then, but Caroline constantly having poor Horace on her lap or in her arms is annoying.  Does she ever let that poor dog walk on his own?

I loved it when Tess turned around and saw Prudie standing there.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

(Except Uncle Cary, who will always be a magnificent asshole.)

There is something truly glorious about how much of an unrepentant asshole Cary is. 

• Love 4

The episode recap says something about Sam and Rosina but I don’t remember seeing them. Did I blink and miss something? 

I guess we have definitively established that Demelza’s smarter than Ross. They both wanted to have faith in people, but she knew when to cut her losses.

I hope Enys can apply his grief therapy to his wife. I hope they end up with children because Caroline needs another focus than her dog. Also, can’t she do more to help the school?

• Love 2

My cable shorted out for a few minutes, so I missed something...I saw Ross, likethe damn fool he is, taking out a mortgage on his entire estate (REALLY??? WTF) to buy the mine for George.  Then I saw George start to calm the crowd saying he was reopening the mine.  Then the cable died.   Did George sell the mine to Ross??  I’m guessing no?  Ross and  Demelza’s chat sounded like they dodged (another) Ross-driven financial crisis.  I hope so.  I don’t want the season to end with Demelza and her kids struggling thanks to Ross’s “Everyone BUT my own wife and children first!” philosophy. 

Caroline needs a hobby.  Isn’t there some kind of charity she could start or get involved with?  She can’t socialize with the other high society in the neighborhood; her choices are very slim!  George & his perpetually constipated, not-any-Funcle Cary....or....Morwenna’s ex old bat mother-in-law.  If Dr. Enys  wants to stay in Cornwall vs. London, he needs to make sure Caroline has something to do and keep her happy there!  Horace ain’t gonna be around forever!

Too bad George didn’t emerge from his madness with a “Do Over!” attitude, like Ebenezer Scrooge.  I was hoping he’d be at least be a little grateful for a second chance at life, but nope.  He’s still the same petty little man, holding the same middle school grudges against Ross.  

• Love 3

My favorite things about this episode were the Ross/George interactions and Tess getting tossed back into the street.  Now I love Demelza, but it was a tiny bit hypocritical of her to gently lecture Ross about making rash decisions for their family when she did the same by hiring Tess without discussing it with him.  Ross might have sent them into financial ruin but Demelza's decision to bring Tess into their home might have resulted in physical harm to the family.

So I guess since Dwight cured George in one episode we'll no longer see Elizabeth.  I never liked her all that much when she was alive but greatly enjoyed her appearances when dead. I was hoping she would stick around for the rest of the season.  I'm glad we're getting to see more of Uncle Cary especially since he has been in an uncomfortable position because of George's illness.

Some random stuff.  Ned has outstayed his welcome with me.  It's time for him to go.  I agree with all here to not liking what they've done with Caroline this season.  It looks like more trouble ahead for Morwenna and Drake with Rebecca Front playing the delightfully obnoxious ex mother-in-law.  Hansen and Tess are the same -- two dastardly villains who are there for us to hate with a passion but give us that sense of satisfaction when they're brought down.  Finally, I was hoping we'd get a visit from Verity once more before the show ends.  

• Love 6

George did really well conveying his grief this episode. I was feeling it too. So sad. Poor Valentine.

Caroline looks thinner this season. I wish she would have another baby to bring happiness back into her eyes. It must not be easy for her to be hauling Horace around all the time. He's not a tiny pug. That chubby boy looks like he's almost 20 lbs!

Good riddance Tess. See ya when the inevitable revenge scene happens.

• Love 6

I wonder what's really wrong with Kitty.  I could swear I see a twinkle in Dwight's eyes whenever he looks at her, and it seems to be more than him admiring her because she's a strong, committed activist, while he sees Caroline doing nothing but listlessly stroking poor Horace.  I hope I'm wrong because I like Dwight and Caroline together.  However, I wish Kitty could/would leave human powder keg Ned and have a peaceful life somewhere else and eventually meet a nice man.  

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

Caroline is talking to Horace so much because we wouldn't know what she is thinking otherwise. 😊  However, I find it out of character for her to be suspicious and jealous that Dwight is spending time with Kitty or any other woman.

Speaking of Kitty, where was she during the protest?  Was she conveniently having one of her spells?

I agree that Uncle Cary is the most fun to watch this season but Jack Farthing has been terrific as the mentally unstable George.  I almost felt sorry for him in the scene where he finally remembered Elizabeth dying and broke down.  Poor Ursula.  Is George always going to blame the child for her mother's death?

Well, they finally addressed Morwena's baby!  I asked in episode 2 what happened to the boy since there was no mention of him for some time.

Glad to see Tess booted and now it's time to do the same to Ned before he stirs up any more trouble.

• Love 5

I don't like George, but I blame Ross for Elizabeth's death to.  Ross raped Elizabeth, and it was her constantly trying to ally George's suspicions about Valentine being Ross' child that lead to Elizabeth taking the drug she did.  They are both responsible for Elizabeth's death.

• Love 4

I feel like most of the stories are retreads from previous seasons.  Angst over Elizabeth?  Been there, done that.  Angst over who might be the father of Valentine?  Same.  Young star-crossed lovers?  Yawn.  Uprising of the lower classes.  Yep.  Cave in at the mine?  Sure.  Young child with a disease that is a result of poverty?  Probably more than once.  Dwight and Carolina having a misunderstanding?  When don't they... Hot headed, short-tempered character getting others into trouble?  Same story, different character.

I'm here until the end because I tend to sick with shows I've started.  But, nothing feels new or fresh to me.

• Love 6

Just finally getting around to watching this.  I too wish Caroline had more to do than mope around lugging Horace everywhere, (Although how gorgeous was she in that blue gown against the backdrop of blue and purple flowers?) but I can kind of see her issue.  It's all very well and good for Dwight to be mouthing all the right words about patient confidentiality as if that was really even a thing in this time period, or it would be if he hadn't just gotten done telling her all about Kitty's general health and well being after also seeing her as a patient.  It also doesn't help there that he's doing a very good impression of a man who's seriously admiring to the point of maybe being a little smitten with her.

Ned is a freaking blooming idiot.  How many times has he been told now that he needs to keep his shit together and be the face of perfect respectability if he has any hopes of getting his former posting back?  So of course the first thing he does is lead a "peaceful protest" that turns into a stairway brawl.  But it's apparently a random Thursday so it's time again for an angry mob to be descending on Trenwith over yet another dastardly thing the Warleggans have done.  Ross is only slighting less of a moron for forgetting that this is not the first season so maybe he shouldn't be going off mortgaging everything he has to the hilt without so much as mentioning it to Demelza before he leaves her and their children destitute.  All things considered, he got off rather lightly with George for once seeing reason and listening to him and Demelza only mildly scolding him for his aforementioned idiocy.  Loved nasty snarky Uncle Cary for once at a complete loss at what to do when confronted with said mob in the dining room and how awkwardly they all stood around the dining table waiting for somebody to do something.

Still don't care about this season's spunky young heiress who wants to defy convention for love.  Morwenna for once was quietly affecting sneaking off to take a peek at her child, but I can't help but wonder if she knows that long suffering understanding Drake is apparently telling everyone who will listen that she's still not putting out and why because everyone else certainly seems to know.  It was almost comical how many times Ross found Valentine wandering, furrowed his brow in concern, and then continued on his way before finally taking him to the village school.  Way to push Demelza's limits there right before you drop the bomb on her that you've once again gambled your entire futures, Ross.

Jack Farthing has done nice work with the madness of George before slowly beginning to snap back into his usual nastiness.

• Love 5