Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Out Cold

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

The remaining survivalists begin feeling the effects of starvation.  One participant fights to stay in the competition as her body starts to give out, while another, who has an abundance of food, shockingly continues to lose weight. 

Airs Thursday, 8/1/19.

I was relieved when Michelle finally gave up.  She seemed at high risk for wandering off in a daze, collapsing and dying in the cold.  I didn't think she actually did because they probably would have cut her segments from the show but she was a crisis waiting to happen.

For some reason, I can't keep the men who are not Jordan straight but................ The one who was crying for his wife seemed on shaky ground.  I'm surprised he filmed himself crying and carrying on.  The day before, I thought he was just giving himself pep talks so I was surprised when he sort of fell apart when his wife didn't show up.

I hope Wyona (?) finds some food soon.  I've been figuring that she and Jordan would be the last two standing.

• Love 9

Winoya’s handicraft skills are impressive!

The moose is getting its revenge on Jordan. It appears that next week is the wolverine’s turn. 😏 In any case, shouldn’t Jordan be eating more (on a daily basis) of his hundreds of pounds of meat to keep up his weight. No point hoarding it if he is starving.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

In any case, shouldn’t Jordan be eating more (on a daily basis) of his hundreds of pounds of meat to keep up his weight. No point hoarding it if he is starving.

I think the point was that there is next to no fat content in the moose meat, so he can eat pounds and pounds of it but it’s not keeping his weight up. He needs the fat and oil, thus his decision to try fishing.

• Love 12

Wow. Michelle not pooping for 14 days. No surprise that she literally felt like shit. I would be panicking after a few days. She definitely was determined, and I did felt badly for her. It sounds like she had a difficult life. 

My  other thought was if the women’s period’s stop due to weight loss and poor nutrition. I was always told not to go camping if I had my period because the blood might attract predators. 

30 pounds is a lot of weight loss in a month on someone who isn’t a heavy person to begin with. Here I figured Jordan was was ok in the food department but he’s missing precious fat. If anything this is a real testament to having a well rounded diet. I’d be bringing salt if I was on the show. 

Woniya continues to impress me, and I’ve definitely developed a bit of a girl crush for her. She’s so incredibly unique, and she has an immense knowledge and skill set. 

Edited by Barbara Please
  • Love 10

Jordan dropping that weight so fast is ridiculous. It's not the lack of fat, it's the lack of calories. He just isn't eating enough of the meat. If eating only lean meat in huge quantities made you lose a pound a day, it would be the most popular diet book of all time. He's got to put back way more meat. Like 4-5 lb a day. He also needs to stop exerting so much energy so he isn't creating a 3500 calorie deficit every day.

• Love 12

I was thinking the whole time Michelle was walking and you could see the lake in the distance, don't go down to the water, don't go down to the water....it comes back on and she's right near the waters edge, almost falling in...she's not the only one, everyone of them are fishing on icy rocks, looks like an accident waiting to happen. Wasn't sad to see Michelle go.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Jordan dropping that weight so fast is ridiculous. It's not the lack of fat, it's the lack of calories. He just isn't eating enough of the meat. If eating only lean meat in huge quantities made you lose a pound a day, it would be the most popular diet book of all time. He's got to put back way more meat. Like 4-5 lb a day. He also needs to stop exerting so much energy so he isn't creating a 3500 calorie deficit every day.

That was my take on it too.

Michelle shouldn’t feel ashamed of tapping out. She had to unlike the guys who quit because they were lonely.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 10

Now it starts to get interesting. Who is in good enough physical and mental shape to go the distance?

Barry's showing the strain. I'm not sure why he thought that this would be over in 40 days. I think that you have to prepare yourself mentally for it to go 90 days right from the start or else you are going to lose.

Jordan needs to make a net like Barry did. Anyone who brought fishing line and paracord should have made themselves a net for when they catch a fish as it does you no good at all to catch fish if you can't land them. Most of what they are catching are in the 5 - 10 lb range and that can be a handful to pull up onto shore if you are a couple of feet above the water.

I'm glad to see that someone finally rigged up a pole and "reel" for fishing, it's something that I would have tried to do right from the start and I would have like see a closeup of his "reel". This should make the fishing easier and he should be able to cover more area. I doubt that he will try fishing in more locations but everyone should be fishing the whole shoreline and marking out the best locations.

Nathan catches another fish in his net, is that 3 or 4? I still think that he should be moving his net daily to different spots to see if any are better than his current location. He was amazed that he caught a northern pike! They should be everywhere in that lake, all you have to do to find pike is to find some weeds and you will find pike.

Too bad about Michelle, she was having a hard time of it and I can see why she decided to tap out.

It looks like fun and games ahead with another wolverine giving Jordan issues and the weather taking a turn for the worse. As mentioned earlier it's going to be interesting to see how the med checks, tap outs/rescues are handled once things freeze up. By my calculations they are in about mid-October so it's not really cold yet and the whole bay freezing up is pretty normal given a few days of below zero temperatures. I think that this is more of a tease but it will give those trying to live off fish something to think about.

I'm looking forward to next week, it's still anyone's game but I think that Jordan and Woniya are still the favourites.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Tanstaafl said:

He was amazed that he caught a northern pike! They should be everywhere in that lake, all you have to do to find pike is to find some weeds and you will find pike.

I haven't seen any shoreline for any of them that wasn't very rocky.   (Which makes Brady's huge frying pan that "washed up on shore" all the more suspicious.)  That pike was huge.

When they finally showed Nathan I thought, "There's a Nathan?"   I couldn't remember who the heck he was, until the previews and I realized he's the forest ranger who didn't bring a ferro rod.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

When they finally showed Nathan I thought, "There's a Nathan?"   I couldn't remember who the heck he was, until the previews and I realized he's the forest ranger who didn't bring a ferro rod.

Perhaps Nathan's footage was too dark due to his inability to start a fire for 29 days, so they just haven't shown him. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Drogo said:

Perhaps Nathan's footage was too dark due to his inability to start a fire for 29 days, so they just haven't shown him. 

Well, when they first showed him cutting his hair and I didn't recognize him I thought maybe he'd look familiar if I imagined him with longer hair, but still no luck.  Until the preview for next week.

I never thought I'd say this, but I need this season to be over soon, because I can feel myself losing IQ points every time I watch that commercial for the new season of Ancient Aliens.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I haven't seen any shoreline for any of them that wasn't very rocky.   (Which makes Brady's huge frying pan that "washed up on shore" all the more suspicious.)

Yeah it is almost all rocky with just a few gravel or sand beaches. A lot of the drop off is very steep, down to a few hundred foot depth just yards from shore. There's a couple of shots of some of the cliffs in the area and you can imagine the sheer drop as the cliffs are 90 degree vertical.

I think that a few of the locations selected for the contestants are places where the locals camp or where the trophy fishing camps have shore lunches which could explain a "found" frying pan. I believe that Jordan also mentioned finding an old lure that he cannibalized for parts.

1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

That pike was huge. 

It's just a baby for that lake and they are quite often in the 15 - 30 lbs range or larger. Lake trout over 30 lbs are also quite common and it's one of the trophy fish that Great Slave Lake is known for along with arctic grayling. Northern pike are in almost all the northern lakes, both here and throughout northern Europe/Scandinavia.

Just thought to add that for trophy fishing Great Slave Lake is catch & release. Because of the cold water the fish grow slowly but nothing really eats the big fish. I'd love to see their faces if they hooked a real big fish, or even caught one in a net. It could be a game changer.

• Love 5

Brady should've thrown his frying pan in the lake again before he left, so it could "wash ashore" for someone else.

giphy.gif

Woniya could've made that frying pan into a fashionable hat.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I thought it was kind of funny when Barry was trying to "manifest his destiny" by stating that his wife was going to show up.  I thought he was trying to imagine success by envisioning his wife showing up eventually.  I didn't know he meant she'd be there the next day.  But I totally cringed when he fell apart because she didn't show up.  Like Tanstaaffl said above, 40 days is too soon to get your hopes that high.

I was relieved when he (or whoever it was) missed the squirrel with the bow shots.  I'm getting tired of seeing shots of the poor little things crying and suffering on the ground.

Two weeks is a long time to go without a BM.  Michelle was crying about tapping out, but as far as I'm concerned she can leave with her head held high.  She gave it her best shot, but her health just wasn't with her. 

9 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

If eating only lean meat in huge quantities made you lose a pound a day, it would be the most popular diet book of all time. 

Maybe he can make a fortune with his lean moose diet after the season.  Maybe he can even finance it with his winnings.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

This was a good episode... a bit more drama finally.  

Does anyone know if they are required to keep the phone with them at all times?  I'm wondering what they would do if they became incapacitated away from camp.  I was glad to see they have a flotation device to use near the water.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I thought the same thing.  There's no way he's eating much of that meat and that's the reason he's losing weight so fast, not just the lack of fat.  Plus, he's known about the lack of fat for some time now, so why is it that only now he's deciding to fish?  He's not showing the best judgment and I'm worried about him.

13 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Well, when they first showed him cutting his hair and I didn't recognize him I thought maybe he'd look familiar if I imagined him with longer hair, but still no luck.  Until the preview for next week.

I thought it was just me because I've been having trouble remembering these people this season.  They've been very slow to show everyone this time and some they only show once in a while so it's hard to keep track of them.

23 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

Woniya continues to impress me, and I’ve definitely developed a bit of a girl crush for her. She’s so incredibly unique, and she has an immense knowledge and skill set. 

I know, I'm rooting for her to win at this point.

11 hours ago, rmontro said:

Two weeks is a long time to go without a BM.  Michelle was crying about tapping out, but as far as I'm concerned she can leave with her head held high.  She gave it her best shot, but her health just wasn't with her. 

I felt sorry for Michelle despite the fact that she lost me after the bunny puppet.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Anybody besides me missing Alan singing to his limpets?

Nope 

I love this show. I really do. But these people are so competent  it kinda makes for a boring show 

.....and then there's Michelle 

• LOL 1
On 8/2/2019 at 3:06 AM, Barbara Please said:

My  other thought was if the women’s period’s stop due to weight loss and poor nutrition. I was always told not to go camping if I had my period because the blood might attract predators. 

I think any woman going on this show would arrange with her doctor to be on the pill and stop her period for a long length of time.

Mayo clinic birth control pill page

• Love 1
15 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

The Keto diet *does* work!

I tried Atkins for awhile.  Eating nothing but meat kills your appetite.  I suppose because your body says "Okay, enough of that, I need something else".  Maybe that's what's going on with Jordan.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, rmontro said:

I tried Atkins for awhile.  Eating nothing but meat kills your appetite.  I suppose because your body says "Okay, enough of that, I need something else".  Maybe that's what's going on with Jordan.

Definitely. He is eating way less of this meat than he needs to, and that's the problem. It must suck having to cram down steaks when not hungry, but desperate times! I'm just surprised because he had been losing a pound a day for a MONTH and hadn't adjusted his diet?! They have med checks regularly so this didn't come out of nowhere. I hope he is thinking clearly, and/or has a single clue about nutrition.

• Love 3

All I wanted to do was record Jordan’s segments and broadcast them as a PSA to all these keto freaks online who espouse the wonders of the keto/carnivore diet for losing weight.  It isn’t healthy.  You’re literally starving yourself to death.  I’m hoping some keto folks are watching this show and learn their lesson.  That diet will eventually kill you.

• Love 4

Thank you for that.

I eat a diet of meat, vegetables, fruit, dairy and sweets. My grandparents were well into their 90s when they passed. My father is 80, very healthy. We eat what we grow and meat, etc from the store. 

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 3
On 8/3/2019 at 10:53 PM, rmontro said:

I've read that this happens because the things people crave the most are fat, sugar and carbs.  When they're not a possibility you therefore lose your appetite.

I've written before about having to be on a strict no-fat diet when I was going through gallstone nightmares (I had stones stuck in my bile duct after gallbladder removal that took 3 additional months and 3 more procedures to fully remove).  If I ate fat during that time I experienced terrible pain.  So I had to cut fat out altogether, plus my portion sizes were a lot smaller because I didn't feel up to eating a lot.  Of course I ate a lot more vegetables than usual.  The weight literally fell off of me.  I never lost weight so quickly in my life.  I was able to eat bread as long as it had no fat or one gram per slice, and I ate potatoes, pasta and rice.  So I lost that weight even as I ate those starchy carbs.  For proteins I ate fish and shellfish, or chicken or turkey breast plain with no added fat (I did get creative with seasonings, though).  I had to be on that strict form of the diet for 3 months and by the time it was all over I had lost almost 20 lbs.  It was a very tough experience, both emotionally and logistically, but I did notice some positive side effects, like I felt less sluggish and bloated.  I did realize it was not a diet I should stay on unless absolutely necessary, though.  And this show is proving why.  As much as diets have made fat into a villain, we actually need fat.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Tatortot said:

I get suspicious when the med team comes, after all this is TV.    They don't slip them something to eat?

I really don't think that they do that on this show, as shown by the number of medical tap outs we see.

Now "Naked and Afraid" has a habit of the contestants finding food just before their extraction, and IIRC one couple was actually caught sneaking into production's camp and stealing food.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Token said:

All I wanted to do was record Jordan’s segments and broadcast them as a PSA to all these keto freaks online who espouse the wonders of the keto/carnivore diet for losing weight.  It isn’t healthy.  You’re literally starving yourself to death.  I’m hoping some keto folks are watching this show and learn their lesson.  That diet will eventually kill you.

I've done Atkins/low carb diets before and they do work for me. The problem is getting the proportions right to first lose and then maintain a lower weight. Unfortunately I love bread and chocolate!

The body is designed to turn carbs and sugars into fat and when there is no intake the body uses the stored fat. Once most of the stored fat is used the body starts using muscle tissue and that will create problems.

I think that most of the contestants generally know what will happen in this sort of environment and quite a few over the years have tried to bulk up before the challenge knowing that they will use up their fat stores.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

Did I see right, 2 episodes left with 5 contestants. Will 3 tap on the next episode? Have they ever had that many left with so few epi left? 

I know, I couldn't believe that when I saw the promo.  I thought there would be 3 or 4 more left.  It's kind of disappointing knowing that so many will tap out one right after the other, but with the previews of the harsh winter that's soon to come, it's really no wonder.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Tanstaafl said:

The body is designed to turn carbs and sugars into fat and when there is no intake the body uses the stored fat. Once most of the stored fat is used the body starts using muscle tissue and that will create problems.

I think that most of the contestants generally know what will happen in this sort of environment and quite a few over the years have tried to bulk up before the challenge knowing that they will use up their fat stores.

The trouble with a challenge like this is that their calorie consumption is so low that they're probably burning more muscle than they normally would, which is not ideal.  And in their environment of scarcity they don't have the luxury of being able to hit the sweet spot between diet and exercise to help them retain the muscle.  At my age (61), regaining lost muscle is an uphill battle.  When I was on my strict diet I tried to stay active but doubt it was enough to fully counteract any muscle loss I experienced.

• Love 2

I guess Barry does not know "The Secret." ...I still cannot believe that book was so HUGE among sentient beings.

A true medical ketogenic diet is like 80% fat with some protein and a few carbs. I've always wanted to try it for my seizure disorder as it is proven to be helpful, but I just like carbs too damn much. 

I've heard of rabbit starvation but not moose starvation. According to Wiki, rabbit starvation might be a real thing. This part was interesting: In U.S. Military Arctic Light Infantry Training (ALIT), it is taught that rabbit takes more vitamins to digest than it returns. It is recommended in survival situations to refrain from eating at all if rabbit is the only thing to eat. It's the seawater of meats! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 8/6/2019 at 1:13 AM, Yeah No said:

The trouble with a challenge like this is that their calorie consumption is so low that they're probably burning more muscle than they normally would, which is not ideal.  And in their environment of scarcity they don't have the luxury of being able to hit the sweet spot between diet and exercise to help them retain the muscle.  At my age (61), regaining lost muscle is an uphill battle.  When I was on my strict diet I tried to stay active but doubt it was enough to fully counteract any muscle loss I experienced.

ha.  5 years ago, age 63, I started serious body building. at age 67,  I could push 1000 lbs on the 45 degree leg press. It might be true at 70, as Jack Lalanne claimed, but it's certainly not true at age 60

Jordan gained 20 lbs for the show, lost 20 lbs before he got the moose and 5 lbs thereafter. So he was only 5 lbs below his normal weight and that was probably due to the cold and the half arsed shelter than he (and all the others) had    If your shelter needs a fire inside of it, it's not worth a hoot.