Type keyword(s) to search

Naked And Afraid - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 1/21/2020 at 2:44 PM, Liberty said:

Totally agree.  She was a talented participant.  Was it she who contracted dengue fever?

Yes i believe that was Manu who got the fever

On 4/8/2020 at 11:53 AM, Liberty said:

Danelle & Rod made a miserable couple, each demonstrating an intolerance for the other and having a hodge-podge of skill.  If Danelle's choice of wood to burn was really poisonous she clearly did not have the knowledge it took to be there.  It was funny that she was quick to say '10 years' Air Force, and Rod hid the branch of the armed forces he spent 8 years in. 

I didn't get Danelle; when Rod told her the wood was poisonous, she snapped at him.  "I don't like how you spoke to me."  WTF, he told you the wood was poisonous, it's not like he slapped her in the face and told her she was fucking stupid.  Danelle might have been physically naked, but she sure was carrying a lot of suitcases.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

Seriously Jess? Eyelash extensions for Naked and Afraid? Not sure if I’ll make it through the whole episode, but curious to see if those daddy long legs on her eyes survive 21 days.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I just watched the episode with Danelle and Rod. She came I. With a big chip on her shoulder and right away was a pain in the butt.  Rod was right - she did talk over him whenever he tried to say something. She was nicer to Lauren mainly because she felt superior and Lauren didn’t threaten her. I thought Diggie was amazing.

• Love 2

Just watched "21 Miles in 21 Days"

A smart couple from the start, they had shoes!  Great teamwork, appreciation for the partner, and common goal.  Each trying to employ their unique skills, and both apparently working hard all the time.

difficult to believe she lost 20 lb.s, which was the same amount he lost.  That was a scary spider bite.

Seemed like there was a promotion for a new XL to air in a couple of weeks

• Love 2

I know I am going to sound like one of those people who wants a "nanny state" but I think sometimes the producers need to pull the plug and not lower anybody's PSR score.  I watched  "Ring of Fire."  Everybody tapped out of that one.  The first person who tapped...well maybe lowering his score made sense.  The last person tapped out because the it was raining, he lost his fire and the wind chill was 29 degrees....Fahrenheit.  I mean come on, that was fucked up, cruel to keep that challenge going.  I want to see people survive, I want to see how people work together or don't; I don't want to see people tortured.  Sorry.

On 4/27/2020 at 9:55 PM, Liberty said:

A smart couple from the start, they had shoes!  Great teamwork, appreciation for the partner, and common goal.  Each trying to employ their unique skills, and both apparently working hard all the time.

That was a good episode.  I liked how they really worked together.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I know I am going to sound like one of those people who wants a "nanny state" but I think sometimes the producers need to pull the plug and not lower anybody's PSR score.  I watched  "Ring of Fire."  Everybody tapped out of that one.  The first person who tapped...well maybe lowering his score made sense.  The last person tapped out because the it was raining, he lost his fire and the wind chill was 29 degrees....Fahrenheit.  I mean come on, that was fucked up, cruel to keep that challenge going.  I want to see people survive, I want to see how people work together or don't; I don't want to see people tortured.  Sorry.

I agree, someone who can’t start a fire for example despite the resources available then it’s hindering their ability to stay warm, cook their food, boil water etc. does deserve a lowering of their PSR.  However if the odds are against them, like the temperature drop you mention I’d say they did their best but don’t deserve to have their PSR lowered.  

Just catching up with episodes now and have to comment on "Ring of Fire" in Bulgaria.

I feel so bad for poor Jennifer being stuck with the 3 jerks that were supposed to be her helpful partners in her 2 attempts at this endeavor.

It shows footage from her last episode where her partner boo hooed like an infant on day 2 and tapped out , leaving her to finish 14 days alone, which she did.

In this one she gets the 2 most useless Brandon's they could dig up from the state of Arkansas who thought they would sit out all out and live off their body fat and leave her to do all the work.

That first one in this episode, wouldn't even build a shelter with her the first night while they still had plenty of light to do it. Just sleeping out in the open was fine with him. I think he decided to tap the minute they got to that meadow and wasn't going to expend an ounce of energy to help her. I actually thought he was just kidding her when he was saying he couldn't take it and was going to tap. Was waiting for the "Ha! Only fooling!" knowing that her first partner from her first "journey at this" tapped on the second day. No such luck for poor Jennifer. 

The second Brandon who showed up was even more useless. He just layed there eating off his body fat while she lugged forests full of logs to make sure they had enough for the cold nights. Acted like he was a hero for putting his arm around her while she convulsed (his words) with coldness. Then he sits around slowly carving a tip on a spear to spear fish (all for her benefit, since he claimed he was not hungry) and then the throwing it at fish with the strength and aim of a child, then acting like he was surprised he didn't get one. 

Neither of these "men" put any  real effort into shelter building, wood gathering or food gathering. Brandon #2 again acted like super hero for finding a one ounce crab that he allowed the starving and rapidly down falling of strength, Jennifer, to have all to herself.

She was so nice and patient with these guys. I would have lambasted both of them for their incredible laziness and refusal to share in the work needed to be done.

They were dropped in the middle of a dry grass meadow with lots of wind, no wonder the embers caught the whole place on fire. Having some help with shelter building and constructing something from keeping the wind off their bodies and fire pits would have made a world of difference in my opinion.

She was given the booby prize of "partners", all three of them, in her two attempts to get thru these  naked and afraid adventures. Not fair.

• Love 1
On 5/7/2020 at 3:13 PM, SassyCat said:

She was given the booby prize of "partners", all three of them, in her two attempts to get thru these  naked and afraid adventures. Not fair.

True, but that's life and life isn't fair.  But I think the main problem she had was the first Brandon.  He didn't want to build a shelter, leaving her without shelter when he left on day 2.  I didn't mind the second Brandon though.  I think the cold got the better of both of them.  When the wind chill is 29 degrees Fahrenheit, and it's raining, and the fire goes out, it's time to pull the plug.

Just watched the 14 day Rocky Mountain/Montana episode, seems like the last of episode of the season.

What were they thinking sending these people into this cold environment?

That male was pretty tough. 

Interesting to watch the females.  I has become obvious over the years that complaining about weather/bugs/etc is a morale breaker for both participants, so most of them suffer in silence.  The cold was so extreme, given their resources, they could not help but continually complain about it.  Maybe it was producer editing that only showed complaints, but it was a bad decision to put people in that environment.

• Love 1

Regarding the Rocky Mountain episode, the scenery is great to look at but it’s way too cold to do a challenge there.  I knew from the amount of complaining the 1st woman did about the cold and how it was only day 2 or 3 by the half hour mark she’d be gone soon.  The 2nd one sounded more optimistic so I was surprised she tapped early too.  Going back to the Alaska challenge with Laura and Steven was that one any harder that this one or were they better suited for this than who we saw here.  

Mushrooms are tricky, I’m not surprised the guy (don’t remember his name) got sick.  They’re pretty too look at but most times it seems like if you eat any of them you’ll get sick.  Better to stick to the ones in the grocery store.  I guess If it wasn’t for the mushroom poisoning that guy had a good chance of making it the 14 days. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I think Laura & Steven had warmer weather, iirc they were actually sleeping without a shelter.  They were dropped off in the snow, but went to a lower elevation for the rest of the challenge.  Laura was naked, crawling around on all fours in a playful manner looking for berries.

Not trying to diminish the skill and tenacity of them, just thinking it was much warmer.

If the guy in the Montana challenge had gotten those fish earlier, I think he would have made it, but even then, the 'shrooms may have done him.

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 2

Is ANYONE ELSE watching N&A XL AFRICA??  I'll admit it's a "guilty pleasure," but it's kinda sad if these potential "survivors" are going thru such an OUTRAGEOUS challenge & NO one is watching.  Am hoping (bwahaha) that Production didn't realize until close to filming time that the temps in Africa would be - & I quote them - "the HOTTEST they'd ever been,'" but then again, my brainier realistic self imagines the Crew finding out about the temps and jumping up in a collective "YES !!!!"  (After seeing the physical pain & emotional trauma these decent "naked people" are subjecting themselves to, I can only hope that, in the future, they find a more worthy cause to utilize their survival skills.)

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, TzuShih said:

Is ANYONE ELSE watching N&A XL AFRICA??  

There's a separate forum for N&A XL.  We're discussion the actual show, plus the "Dressed and Opinionated" aftershow.

Come on over!!!

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

There's a separate forum for N&A XL.  We're discussion the actual show, plus the "Dressed and Opinionated" aftershow.

Come on over!!!

Thanks so much, but I can't find the website.  There are lots of N&A's.  :-(  Can you send me the actual website.  Much appreciated!  ☺️

I gave up trying to keep up with this show when my dvr started recording everything, including the pieced together segments from previous episodes.  I can't tell which is new and which is just a new combination of previous episodes.  Anyway, running out of things to watch during my quarantine, I decided to catch up on my dvr backlog and discovered the previous couples watching their episodes "together" via Skype (or whatever).  Brilliant idea!  I love watching them watch their episode together and reminiscing. 

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Naked and Afraid:  Foreign Exchange is pretty good; it's from France.

I've been watching it . . . good to see how folks from a different culture handle the challenges.  But French women are a little bit more "wussy" than most of the Americans we see, don't you think?

This last episode was great.  That guy was still strutting fast on extraction day.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I've been watching it . . . good to see how folks from a different culture handle the challenges.  But French women are a little bit more "wussy" than most of the Americans we see, don't you think?

This last episode was great.  That guy was still strutting fast on extraction day.

I only saw the last part of the last episode.  I just watched the one where they were in the forest today.  I felt sorry for the guy because the woman tapped on day 2.  Interesting they didn't have another partner for him.

2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I only saw the last part of the last episode.  I just watched the one where they were in the forest today.  I felt sorry for the guy because the woman tapped on day 2.  Interesting they didn't have another partner for him.

The lady in this last one tapped out about Day 4.  

Watched extraction.  Was a good season, i enjoyed it.  I tell you what, the women were the rock stars!  That crossbow idea was f'n brilliant!  I wish Wes could have been there too Gwen.  You two make an awesome team.  And Bulent....ahhh what to say heheh.  Can't help it, by the end i was liking him.  He's just a crotchety curmudgeon lol.  No patience for nonsense and wouldn't think twice to tell you so.  I thought he handled Seth brilliantly.  You could def tell the adult with those two.  And the guy ate. And ate. And ate heh.  Most caught bare handed!  And i think he came out looking the best at the end hehe.  What does he do for a living.  I'm curious. Gotta love a guy who loves a pug!

P.s.  saw Ky has her own show now.  Called Outback something.  Adventure maybe.  Her and a bf survive in Australia.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ForumLou said:

Watched extraction.  Was a good season, i enjoyed it.  I tell you what, the women were the rock stars!  That crossbow idea was f'n brilliant!  I wish Wes could have been there too Gwen.  You two make an awesome team.  And Bulent....ahhh what to say heheh.  Can't help it, by the end i was liking him.  He's just a crotchety curmudgeon lol.  No patience for nonsense and wouldn't think twice to tell you so.  I thought he handled Seth brilliantly.  You could def tell the adult with those two.  And the guy ate. And ate. And ate heh.  Most caught bare handed!  And i think he came out looking the best at the end hehe.  What does he do for a living.  I'm curious. Gotta love a guy who loves a pug!

ForumLou: Bulent is a boarder agent. I really  admired him!  

The 4 women & men were hilarious, it was like they were worshipping 'The Tree'.

Anyone else jump in the shower after watching the show,  lol! 

• Love 2
On 8/3/2020 at 12:46 PM, ForumLou said:

...  And Bulent....ahhh what to say heheh.  Can't help it, by the end i was liking him.  He's just a crotchety curmudgeon lol.  No patience for nonsense and wouldn't think twice to tell you so.  I thought he handled Seth brilliantly.  You could def tell the adult with those two.  And the guy ate. And ate. And ate heh.  Most caught bare handed!  And i think he came out looking the best at the end hehe.  What does he do for a living.  I'm curious. Gotta love a guy who loves a pug!

I, too, have a 'soft spot' in my heart for Bulent.  I think if you're a decent, thinking person with a dry, droll humor, you could share some funny times with Bulent 'round your boma.   His comments/cracks were comedy gold, and I was a little surprised that he never seemed to elicit as much as a grin out of any tribe-mates.  He made ME laugh - but, then again, I wasn't melting in those hot harsh 100 degree temps for 40 days!  

• Love 2

I've been watching Naked and Afraid: Foreign Exchange, I do like it; interesting dynamics.

I wonder who makes the decision as to who does and doesn't get a firestarter.  I don't get it.

I watched an episode that took place in South Afriaca, where the man's partner backed out late.  He was given two items, one a knife, the other a pot.  He couldn't make a fire, so he couldn't drink water.  The next day, he went out to find food, but got horribly sunburned.  He drank from the lake because he still could not make a fire.  The third day his new partner arrived, it rained, so the firestarter that she brought was of no use.  Then, the man began to get sick from the water and he had to be medically evacuated.  It was only the 4th day.  The woman did a pretty good job building the shelter, and she was able to make fire, however she was unable to sleep at night because she was so scared, then everything started to freak her out.  She didn't feel safe and so she tapped out.

Now the voice over at the end of the show said something about how teamwork is important.  But I thought they might have had a chance if the man had a firestarter because he could have boiled his water.   In a previous episode, that took place in Columbia, they were given a firestarter on top of the items they brought with them.  It all confuses me.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

It all confuses me.

I was wondering why the guy couldn't just cool his heels in a hotel for a couple days until the replacement woman arrived??? 

It may have worked out better for both of them.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

I was wondering why the guy couldn't just cool his heels in a hotel for a couple days until the replacement woman arrived??? 

It may have worked out better for both of them.

I agree.  They knew she was coming in 2 days.  There was no point in him being alone for those two days.  I think something like that happened in the US version, but the person, I think came the very next day.  Maybe in the US version, they have back up people just in case someone taps out early. 

1 minute ago, Neurochick said:

Maybe in the US version, they have back up people just in case someone taps out early

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.  I can't find a pattern to it.

A single person out there is really boring.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I agree.  They knew she was coming in 2 days.  There was no point in him being alone for those two days.  I think something like that happened in the US version, but the person, I think came the very next day.  Maybe in the US version, they have back up people just in case someone taps out early. 

There have been instances in the US version where the replacement came the next day and others where they came a few days later.  And some where they never got a replacement at all, even when one of the partners tapped on day 2.  I think it all depends on if they have someone lined up as a replacement.  Maybe it's the next team that's supposed to go out, since they would have already had their shots and have their passports lined up.

Edited by madmax
to clarify my point
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I just watched the episode with the Fernando guy eating a mushroom and getting really sick. I think the type of mushroom he ate was a young Termitomyces Gilvus found in Malaysia. It wasn't even properly identified in 2015 when the episode aired. Talk about taking a risk.

image.thumb.png.c05a2bdf6975c4a18eab49a0b32f318e.png

image.png.d629b168c4f68cf20b1870cf36d7c8de.png

Edited by Whodunnit
  • Love 2
On 10/17/2020 at 5:45 PM, Whodunnit said:

I just watched the episode with the Fernando guy eating a mushroom and getting really sick. I think the type of mushroom he ate was a young Termitomyces Gilvus found in Malaysia. It wasn't even properly identified in 2015 when the episode aired. Talk about taking a risk.

I really liked Fernando, how upbeat and positive he was.  And I do like yelling "Fernannnnnndo!" every time I see him on screen.

Spoiler

I thought he was nearly useless on the XL Challenge, tho.

8 hours ago, Liberty said:

When are we going to see a new season?

I wish i knew. I thought maybe they were holding them off until this huge streaming deal for Discovey+  started. I see XL in the commercials they are constantly showing.  I wish theyd do a new season of Dual Survival.

• Love 1
On 1/24/2021 at 3:32 PM, ForumLou said:

I wish i knew. I thought maybe they were holding them off until this huge streaming deal for Discovey+  started. I see XL in the commercials they are constantly showing.  I wish theyd do a new season of Dual Survival.

My DVR recorded a sneak peek at a new episode - available only on Discovery +.  So I guess I won't be watching Naked and Afraid anymore.

• Love 4

Us non Discovery+ users might be OK.  Just found this on the Discovery website:

Don’t miss three all-new episodes of NAKED AND AFRAID as they premiere early on discovery+ beginning Sunday, January 31. 

So it looks like it'll just be early access for Discovery+ viewers.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, madmax said:

Us non Discovery+ users might be OK.  Just found this on the Discovery website:

Don’t miss three all-new episodes of NAKED AND AFRAID as they premiere early on discovery+ beginning Sunday, January 31. 

So it looks like it'll just be early access for Discovery+ viewers.

Great!
I’ve been wondering if what we’ll be getting going forward is stuff shown on the streaming service first.  
I can wait.  

• Love 2
On 1/31/2021 at 8:23 PM, madmax said:

My DVR recorded a sneak peek at a new episode - available only on Discovery +.  So I guess I won't be watching Naked and Afraid anymore.

They really are sticking it to the viewers who watch on cable, aren’t they?

• Love 3

Discovery (cable channel) is showing a Naked and Afraid marathon that looks to be titled with a Valentines Day theme.  I’m guessing they’re repackaged old episodes - they are labeled as “new” in the channel listings.  😡

• Useful 1
On 2/14/2021 at 12:00 PM, Cobb Salad said:

Discovery (cable channel) is showing a Naked and Afraid marathon that looks to be titled with a Valentines Day theme.  I’m guessing they’re repackaged old episodes - they are labeled as “new” in the channel listings.  😡

You were totally correct on this.  I was able to skip the ones I did not want to see, and enjoy the ones I did.  The one with Kim and the retired policeman was a treat to see!

As Cobb Salad posted it was a disappointment.  The one with the "Tree of Life" was also a pleasure to see again.

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, SassyCat said:

Looks like Bared n' Scared is starting it's new episodes next Sunday night. March 7th. The ones the Discovery Plus channel was showing.

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSS,!!  Maybe there's hope for some of my other shows too.  May i ask where you heard  or read such great news?  Thanks

On 3/1/2021 at 3:10 PM, ForumLou said:

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSS,!!  Maybe there's hope for some of my other shows too.  May i ask where you heard  or read such great news?  Thanks

I’m pretty sure I saw it during commercial time while watching a show on Discovery channel last week.

I just went to look for the announcement, any announcement online and don’t see any. I did see what I claim I saw. New episodes starting next week. I do hope it wasn’t an older advertisement for a season we’ve already seen. If so, I am truly sorry for getting hopes up. Mine included.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SassyCat said:

I just went to look for the announcement, any announcement online and don’t see any. I did see what I claim I saw. New episodes starting next week. I do hope it wasn’t an older advertisement for a season we’ve already seen. If so, I am truly sorry for getting hopes up. Mine included.

I think you're right!  It shows a new ep Sunday s12e1 and then another the Sunday after.  Woohoo! There's one!!  Haha j/k looking forward to it