Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Chapter 23

Time is preyed upon.

So, the Time Eaters...not the Weeping Angels, but close. Damn close. Although they didn't seem to know who they were fucking with.

I'm going to miss the hell out of this trippy, trippy show. 

• Love 4

I thought, in the closer shots, they looked like Blue Meanies from Yellow Submarine, with the grins and the long noses.

I enjoyed the episode. So now David has power over the time demons but no time traveler. Unless he drops in and grabs her again. Then he'd have no restraints since the demons won't go after him again. He's so desperate to change his fate. I can see him really going out of control with the attempts and creating chaos, like Syd said. The demons aren't restrained with anyone else. 

Pretty sure I'm not going to like how this show ends. I still like David. He has done and is doing terrible things, but I can't help empathizing with how messed up he is. Doesn't make his actions OK, but they got me in Season 1 so that I'm still generally on his side. 

• Love 9

Yeah, Blue Meanies is what they looked like in close-up to me too, though when the one first showed up in Syd's room I was cheering "Hounds of Tindalos!" They may have been the creepiest things that have appeared on this show, which is saying something!

At least all the surrealism of this episode actually made sense what with the attacks by malevolent beings from outside time, rather than just being a stylistic choice that happened for no apparent reason.

• Love 4

Most of the episode the time demons have their way and then David just blows one of them up with his thought.

Why not do that earlier?

They wanted to show one of them about to rape Syd?

And Lenny has a vision of his future as a parent which puts her in a fetal position?

Towards the end of the episode  — it may have been during the previews for the next ep. — you have these two colorful membrane like fields separated by a black void.  But then you have these tadpole or spermatozoa like things going from one colorful field to the other.

What is that about?

I'm not sure that what Lenny experienced was a vision. At the very least Salmon appeared to get disintegrated for reals during the process, though I'm not sure how real that sequence with Violet living her whole life in one room could be. Lenny seemed disoriented by the sudden fast-forwards at first, but by the end she was reacting as if she'd experienced a whole lifetime of being Violet's mother, not just a few disjointed moments.

Man, I'd thought what the Shadow King did to her was about as bad as it could get, but the Time Eaters found a whole new level of fucked up-ness. I hope the way David killed the one hurt BAD.

3 hours ago, kieyra said:

Confession: I don’t know what these blue meanies are. I’m used to being among the older posters but I have a feeling that one must pre-date me. 

Characters in the Beatles movie "Yellow Submarine".

We're four episodes in - still no explanation about why Division 3 are trusting Farouk!

"You think daddy won't protect you?" "We love you daddy" - That's not weird at all!

Blue cats who eat time - okay I accept this!

It's interesting that they're putting a time stamp on the series now by saying David's mother was in a concentration camp

I never watched the Shield but I might now!

Well come on Cary - you really want to talk about treachery?

Did Syd just claim to be the victim in her rape of her mother's boyfriend?! SHE did it to HIM! They seem to be doing absolutely everything in their power to make me despise her. Is this on purpose?

All the arms giving the middle finger made me spit my drink out!

Yay war!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, superloislane said:

We're four episodes in - still no explanation about why Division 3 are trusting Farouk!

1) "You think daddy won't protect you?" "We love you daddy" - That's not weird at all!

Blue cats who eat time - okay I accept this!

It's interesting that they're putting a time stamp on the series now by saying David's mother was in a concentration camp

Well come on Cary - you really want to talk about treachery?

2) Did Syd just claim to be the victim in her rape of her mother's boyfriend?! SHE did it to HIM! They seem to be doing absolutely everything in their power to make me despise her. Is this on purpose?

3) All the arms giving the middle finger made me spit my drink out!

Yay war!

1) Lol, yeah. I also laughed David calling his followers "my Snoopies."

2) I picked up on that too. I thought, "Well, guess that explains why Syd didn't see the parallel between what David did to her and what she did to her mom's boyfriend." When young Syd brought it up, it was disturbing how quickly and easily Syd waved away any culpability with "you were curious." No, Syd - NOT cool.

3) LOVED that. Oh, David. You're going mad with power and there's at least a decent chance you'll actually destroy the world, but moments like these are why I still root for you to figure out how to right the ship.

• Love 4

The smokey tengu crossed with blue meanies time cats were definitely creeptastic. Much more effective than time wraiths (take that, Arrowverse). I don't think Syd was saying she was raped by her mom's boyfriend, more that she felt she was just used for his sexual pleasure when her teenage self was expecting something more (yeah, she was also using him for her emotional needs).

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Terrafamilia said:

I don't think Syd was saying she was raped by her mom's boyfriend, more that she felt she was just used for his sexual pleasure when her teenage self was expecting something more (yeah, she was also using him for her emotional needs).

The guy had just spent all night doing the "sexual pleasure", he thought he left her passed out on the couch. He was ready to clean up and go home and there she is back for more. A"quick and dirty", then out the door, "I'm a man, not a machine". Syd just picked the wrong time for her first time.

22 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

I don't think Syd was saying she was raped by her mom's boyfriend, more that she felt she was just used for his sexual pleasure when her teenage self was expecting something more (yeah, she was also using him for her emotional needs).

This is exactly what I was thinking as well.  She thought that the sex would be all the lovey-dovey stuff she saw in the media and that's not quite how it was.  Similarly, with David there was all that lovey-dovey stuff and then he betrayed that concept as well.  

Another thing I found interesting is how similar Farouk and David are.  From the little flash we see last episode Farouk had his own little cult going.  Farouk, like David, most likely used his telepathy on those people (or possible to catch more people).  Also like Farouk, David is seeing others as less than nothing.  

I'm starting to wonder if Farouk is really as bad as we're meant to think.  Don't get me wrong he's done a lot of bad stuff but he's not really the sort for taking over or destroying the world.  Based on what we know he was seemingly content for a very long time to just have his own domain.  What he did to David was awful but we saw last season (in the sliding doors episode) that a fully merged Shadow King and David simply became a rich tycoon with all that power.  At the very least, Farouk is relatively stable compared to David.  David is far too dangerous since unlike Farouk David feels he's the good guy but he's not and he's completely unstable.

I kind of feel like Div 3 sees Farouk as the devil you know.  Farouk is probably somewhat on the up and up with regards to helping Div 3 take out David, he's using his charisma and a shared enemy not mind control.  It would make sense that Farouk sees this as getting a favor from an org that would go after him and he can make sure David is stopped.  He might be gunning for David's body again but it's also possible he doesn't want the world destroyed since he's all about worldly delights (it's also possible that taking out David means taking out his only rival).

• Love 4
On 7/18/2019 at 7:43 AM, scrb said:

And Lenny has a vision of his future as a parent which puts her in a fetal position?

That wasn't a vision. The demons ate time. Her daughter was born and died of old age in a matter of minutes. I think that would fuck up about everybody.

And Aubrey Plaza is one hell of an actress. I could feel that pain.

On 7/20/2019 at 5:48 PM, superloislane said:

Did Syd just claim to be the victim in her rape of her mother's boyfriend?! SHE did it to HIM! They seem to be doing absolutely everything in their power to make me despise her. Is this on purpose? 

Ah silly @superloislane don't you know that women can't rape men?! /s

On 7/21/2019 at 9:20 PM, Terrafamilia said:

She still lacks any self awereness. She says that Devid raped her, but won't admit that by her own logic, what she did to her mothers boyfriend was also rape. Arguably worse than what David did. David removed some bad memories that made Syd try to kill him and that led to sex, where she might not have consented, were those memories still there.. She impersonated somebody else and went to an adult man to have sex, under false pretenses. That guy would have never had sex with that teenaged girl, no matter how many memories you removed from him.

Plus she got him arrested for it. Do you know what they do to men with statitory rape convictions in prison? She raped a guy and then fucked his life even harder by putting him behind bars and she isn't even sorry about it. Somehow she is even the one who feels like the victim in that situation. Woman needs a hard reality check.

• Love 5

I’m really struggling with the idea that young-teen Syd was supposed to be sophisticated and 2019-“woke” enough to even understand the concepts of consent we’re grappling with these days. 

I guess maybe people wanted adult Syd to tell younger self “you’re a gross rapist” rather than “you were curious”, but it seemed clear young Syd had already learned her lesson about ever even touching people, and that a more nuanced understanding followed later. 

• Love 3

I do think a 15 year old Syd should be intellectually/morally developed enough to realize that she wasn't the victim in that scenario, and that her mom's boyfriend shouldn't be doing hard time as a child molester for not realizing that she was putting the moves on him in her mother's body.

• Love 4
(edited)

I don’t remember the details of how the boyfriend ended up in jail, but is the idea that teen Syd was supposed to out herself as a mutant to the police, and/or how should she have prevented him from going to prison? Assuming something akin to real life legal systems, an underage person can’t make the choice to *not* have statutory rape charges filed, or claim it was her idea/her fault. The same would be true if the guy had been inebriated and she had been inhabiting her own body. 

(And does she describe herself as a rape victim, or just disappointed?)

I have an uneasy suspicion this one splits along gender lines.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 1

I'm not sure how that situation could have been defused in a practical sense, even telling the truth about joining the guy in the shower being her idea while leaving out the body-swapping element probably still gets her mom outraged and calling the cops on him (which is exactly the right response to the situation as she understood it). But at least acknowledging that the whole thing wasn't some predatory violation perpetrated on her in the conversation between her future and past selves would have made me more sympathetic to Syd.

On 7/22/2019 at 5:51 PM, Miles said:

She still lacks any self awereness. She says that Devid raped her, but won't admit that by her own logic, what she did to her mothers boyfriend was also rape. Arguably worse than what David did.

And she raped her own mother by using the mother's body without the mother's consent for sex with the mother's boyfriend! All kinds of f_cked-up.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, nikita said:

And she raped her own mother by using the mother's body without the mother's consent for sex with the mother's boyfriend! All kinds of f_cked-up.

One thing I don't understand about how her powers work. She takes over someones body, but when she jumps back the bodies switch places? She ends up in the shower in her own body and her mother goes back to the couch. She teleports? The body switching places would make more sense if she just took on the appearance of someone, then reverts back to her true form, but I don't think it works that way in the show.

• Love 1

Yeah, the physical switcheroo when her power wears off is the weirdest part of it, I think. Initially her power works like when Farouk shifts a mind from one body to another, but instead of the minds snapping back to their original bodies, the bodies catch up with the minds' current locations.

Which says to me Syd better be very careful about fitting into small spaces when pulling the Freaky Friday act with cats.

• Love 1

I watched this episode and the next back-to-back.  In the next episode, my DVR kept resetting to about 13 minutes in so for a few minutes I thought that *I* might be stuck in a time glitch.

But, this episode was scary and haunting.  Good job, show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The Evil Blue Time Cats were all kinds of creepy and the uses of time jumping made for not only surreal and stylized images, it actually had plot relevance! Good job show!

I am still hoping that David will get back on the right path, he has done/is doing some very questionable and even fully horrible things, but he is so deeply messed up in the head that I still hope he can get it together again. That being said, all of his groupies calling David "Daddy" is just super, super creepy. 

The whole sequence where Lenny experiences her daughters whole life and death in just a few seconds was one of the most tragic and haunting scenes the show has had so far. Aubrey Plaza is just a freaking revelation in this show. 

• Love 4
On 7/26/2019 at 12:00 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Oh, that's hilarious polyhymnia! How many loops did it take you to realize it wasn't just the show repeating scenes over and over?

I am not even sure because I was sleepy. At least 5. I finally had to watch it without skipping commercials for it to finish. It was trippy.

I'm still on David's side too, although I'm not sure if I should be and I blame the show's excellent writing for making that happen. 

On 7/21/2019 at 1:48 AM, superloislane said:

Last episode I went, "their timeline is all messed up because if she was in a concentration camp then... oh, wait, I have NO idea what the 'present' time period is supposed to be". 

Until I saw this post, I wasn't entirely sure if that was a mistake in my copy of the episode.