Type keyword(s) to search

The Comics: Same, Yet Different

• Start Topic

I was also wondering if Abraham might not lose his hand.  And I had completely forgotten about Maggie trying to hang herself.  She does seem a little weird lately -- that story she was telling Eugene about Sampson still makes no sense to me -- I wonder if finding out about the futility of their mission will have a serious impact on her psyche.

It has been a while since I read the comics ( I will have to re-read them during the mid-season break), but I don't remember feeling like Abraham was as vulgar in the comics.  I thought he was a total jerk to Rosita once they arrived at ASZ, however.  

• Love 2

I didn't remember that scene, so I looked in my compendium and then the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_Martinez_%28The_Walking_Dead%29#Comic_book_series

In the comics, it was Martinez who conducted Rick, Glenn, and Michonne's entry to Woodbury.[volume & issue needed] He later helped Rick's party escape and fight their way back to the prison.[volume & issue needed] After assisting Rick's party in escaping, Martinez betrays them by sneaking out of the prison to go tell The Governor its location so that he may capture and kill everyone inside. During his run back to Woodbury, Rick runs him down in the RV and then strangles him to death.[1] Caesar's reanimated body is discovered by a Woodbury scouting party,[volume & issue needed] and his head is brought back to Woodbury, to manipulate people to turn them against the people of the prison.[volume & issue needed]

I will say I find it strange to pay homage to something so out of our current timeline and that wasn't really a huge thing (at least to me) in the books.

• Love 1

I think some of the key people would love to turn the show more into the comic book.  It's their medium.  Their passion, though maybe appropriate for the comic book, may be the undoing of the series.  I think they have two completely different audiences.  You'd think they'd know that.  (And maybe they do.)

• Love 4

I think they improved upon the comic book version of the hunters, but the hospital wasn't there at all, and I think it sucked.

Point being, for me, I think the source material can be good for the show… They just have to be careful about how it translates.

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 3

I just got caught up to the most recent issues of the comic... I gotta say I'm impressed with how the most recent story arc has refreshed and evolved the entire concept.  The new threat is very interesting, but still mysterious at this point.  Hopefully the explanation of who they are won't spoil that, but their imagery and presence have been pretty effective so far.  I thought the comics had been getting stale for a while so it's been a welcome change.  

I wonder how long it'll take the show to get to this current arc.  It took three and a half seasons to get to the end of the governor/prison arc which took 48 issues in the comics.  There's not necessarily a one to one timeline comparison that can be made... I'd think it'd take them less time to get to Negan which happened in issue 100.  Speaking of which, I wonder if the TV show will keep the whole bit with "Lucille" meeting up with a major character.  If so, I wonder if it wouldn't be Daryl... he's not in the comics and he's probably the TV show character with whom a date with Lucille would have the most punch.

I saw spec somewhere else (I think it was the spoilthedead comic forums) that Lucille might get Daryl instead of Glenn. I bet the show would still go Glenn. He's near expendable these days it seems. I'd say Negan actually appearing won't be until season 7 at the earliest. In the comics, they meet Aaron and learn about the safe zone and Douglas and all that first, right?  I'll be glad when compendium 3 is out so I can have everything to flip through easily.

I agree, the whisperers are a bit different. I'll be interested to see their endgame/goal. 

I hope Carl didn't kill those boys. I want good things for the poor kid. 

Edited by mandolin

I get the feeling the show is going to do some swapping around, like we'll get the Whisperers coming up soon (Morgan may have dropped a hint to their existence in "Clear") and then Negan will show up later or perhaps even for the series finale.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 2

It took me 3 seasons to drop out of Sons of Anarchy.    I can see dropping out of TWD with Negan's arrival.   Ultraviolence for the sake of ultraviolence gets stale, no matter how good your cast is. 

• Love 6

It took me 3 seasons to drop out of Sons of Anarchy.    I can see dropping out of TWD with Negan's arrival.   Ultraviolence for the sake of ultraviolence gets stale, no matter how good your cast is. 

The television Negan would probably be very different from the comic version, not unlike the Governor.  The Governor in the comic raped and tortured Michonne and chopped off Rick's hand.  I think with good reason, they avoided going there in the television show, at least as far as what happened to Michonne.  Rick's hand would have been a nice shock, but they probably didn't want to add that special effect to the budget of every episode for the rest of the series.  As for Negan, you know the television version couldn't talk like the comic version.  I do believe they would probably retain his signature act in some form or another, resulting in the murder of a beloved character, but it probably wouldn't be recreated down to the nitty gritty details.  

There hasn't really been much one to one comparison between what happens in the comic and what happens in the television series.   There were some things in the first two seasons, with the pilot, the Shane and Lori affair, the first walker attack in the camp with Amy dying, Glen and Maggie hooking up in season 2... other than that it's hard to find examples of something happening in the comic to a specific character which happened to the same character in the series.  That's kind of why I'd guess Negan might take out a different character in the TV series.  I must confess, part of that is me hoping he does, since Glenn is one of the few examples of a non stereotyped Asian American male in film and television, it'd be nice to see him stick around on the series for a while.  But on this show you know his time will eventually be up.

• Love 2

I don't want the (TV) group bogged down in another town with another crazy leader.  I know I'm influenced because the Governor on TV went on way past the expiration date.

Oh, so much this. Since this isn't exactly something you can jump into halfway through, I didn't get into it until they started it over on whichever non-AMC channel has it. So I was catching up with it on the current marathon; 3AM the Governor will leave them alone if they hand over Michonne, and I'm falling asleep. Jump to 11AM, the Governor will *still* leave them alone if they hand over Michonne. Okay, then - did I really miss anything there?

• Love 1

I was watching a video recap of the episode, and they mentioned the Wiltshire Estates arc in the comics, where Donna died, not Tyreese.

Then I remembered that on the show, Donna died in Tyreese's first episode. 

I wonder if Tyreese dying there was some sort of wink on the show's part. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1

I haven't read the comics, but I was accidentally spoiled today on a gossip site.  Speculation there is that the body parts and "W" were left behind by the Whisperers.  I researched the Whisperers and find that SL so much more interesting than Negan, who sounds like an even more sadistic Governor.  The idea that people hide behind walker gore and "whisper" to each other is fascinating to me.  I also read that Glenn picking up the bat is baiting the comic fans about Negan.  Just wondering what the comic readers think.

• Love 1

As a comic reader I certainly get nervous when Glenn is even shown in close proximity to anything resembling a baseball bat.  

I haven't read any of the comics past the All Out War arc -- I am saving them until this season of the show is over, but my husband has alluded to the whisperers.  I find that interesting as well.  I don't think that the W is in reference to them, however, because of the prominent Wolves Not Far graffiti.  

The part of the comics that I find fascinating is learning about how different groups have survived.  I have enjoyed that about the television show as well.  Even Negan's set-up in the comics was interesting to me.  

I did not notice that the neighborhood Shane and Andrea went to was called Wiltshire Estates.  I will have to pay closer attention the next time I watch that episode.  

• Love 1

Kirkman told Entertainment Weekly:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/02/10/walking-dead-creator-robert-kirkman-says-tough-times-are-ahead-maggie-and-daryl

[T]here’s a significant number of new characters possibly on the horizon, and a fair number of those are going to be directly adapted from the comic, which is always very exciting. And a few of those are going to be changed up quite a bit for various reasons. So it’ll be kind of a mixed bag. Here are characters you’re familiar with from the comic book series, and here are some new elements or some tweaks on these characters in some interesting ways that will hopefully enhance the story in ways that we’ve figured out.

What if they give Negan's storyline to Glenn? Or Daryl?

So which characters currently in the group are and aren't in the comics?  Rick, Carl, and Michonne are the only I'm sure are in the comics, but . . . the others?

Daryl, Sasha, and Tara aren't in the comics.  Everyone else currently in the group is.

• Love 1

I am personally really excited to see Aaron just because I want the group to have a chance to rest a little bit. When he popped out of the bushes I actually grabbed my husband's arm and said "Yes!" (which confused the crap out of him because he has not read the second compendium yet...). I am not, however, very excited to get to the Negan part of the story. I actually haven't read anything past the second compendium yet, but everything I have read/heard about what comes after the ASZ makes me very nervous about how poorly it will translate to the screen.

I was glad to see Aaron and I hope they keep that part true to the comics in that he is with a relatively good group of people so Rick and company can rest up for a little bit at least. I am almost hoping that they skip Negan altogether or at least downplay his role quite a bit since we got so much of the Governor and he was around a lot longer on the show than he was in the comics. We also got the Termites on the show, which was really just a small group of Hunters in the comics. While I know the show always needs another "bad guy," I kind of hope they do "Negan lite" or not at all. He just seems a bit too similar to what we've seen so far on the show. At the very least I hope they change up who he kills.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 1

Okay. Of this group, then, who's bitten it in the comics? And who hasn't?

Of the group only Carol and Judith are dead compared to where they are now on the TV show.

Edited to add: TV Carol is completely different then her comic book counter part.

Edited by lookattheflowers
  • Love 1

Of the group only Carol and Judith are dead compared to where they are now on the TV show.

Edited to add: TV Carol is completely different then her comic book counter part.

Poor baby Judith died in the comics?!  How?!

And how are the two different?

Poor baby Judith died in the comics?! How?!

And how are the two different?

Judith died in the attack on the prison. In Lori's arms if I am remembering that correctly...

Comic book Carol was a little off, she basically wanted to have a threesome marriage with Lori and Rick, then fed herself to a walker when Lori turned down her... generous offer.

• Love 3

Judith died in the attack on the prison. In Lori's arms if I am remembering that correctly...

Comic book Carol was a little off, she basically wanted to have a threesome marriage with Lori and Rick, then fed herself to a walker when Lori turned down her... generous offer.

I'm . . . thankful for the TV version, then.  At least the writers don't seem willing to make Carol go that crazy or off an innocent baby.

• Love 2

Show Carol is SO MUCH BETTER than Comic Carol.  But Comic Tyreese and Comic Andrea are way better than Show Tyreese and Show Andrea.  And Michonne is awesome at all times in all formats!

• Love 4

Show Carol is SO MUCH BETTER than Comic Carol. But Comic Tyreese and Comic Andrea are way better than Show Tyreese and Show Andrea. And Michonne is awesome at all times in all formats!

Definitely agree about Carol, Tyreese, and Andrea. In fact, comic Andrea is my favorite character. I think I give Show Michonne the edge, though. Mostly because I love the dynamic between Show Carl and Show Michonne. I don't think they had that in the comics (though it has been awhile since I read them, so maybe I am fuzzy on the details).

• Love 3

While I know the show always needs another "bad guy," I kind of hope they do "Negan lite" or not at all. He just seems a bit too similar to what we've seen so far on the show. At the very least I hope they change up who he kills.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong and misunderstanding, but you're saying you wish Negan-lite or not at all because he seems too similar to our bads of the past? I would say since our Governor was the lite version, Negan lite would just be too similar to him (or any bad guy). Maybe I don't need all the brutality, it's not like I LIKE violence and yet taking away the things the Governor did, made him entirely different. He was a grey character. Tv is full of grey characters, it's trendy, and the Governor is just another. And without all of Negan from the comics he's just another grey character I'll somehow end up sympathizing with. I really want them to do him justice! Negan's more than just a bad guy. I loved his interactions with Carl, and his ladies, and their men he has scarred. When Glenn picked up a bat in the episode back after hiatus all I could think of was Lucille. Is this foreshadowing? Maybe there won't be a Lucille. That bit was insane...

Before Maggie bonded with Sasha, I totally thought she was gonna hang herself. I don't think that'll ever stop being a threat when Maggie is sad. But she seemed really down. I'll stop trying down. In the barn I thought for sure she'd let that zombie have her.

So happy to see Aaron! i think I called out Aaron as soon as he emerged. Hopefully the episodes will start picking up

• Love 1

But is grey trendy, or is grey more realistic? I mean, in the real world people aren't 100% evil or pure good.  They have layers and shadows and, well, shades of grey.  I think that's why such characters are more popular, because they seem more like someone that could actually exist.

Of course, we're in a comic universe here, but I'm torn because I feel like the show tries for more realism, but can you really have realism when the whole idea of zombies isn't realistic to begin with?

Edited by BrokenRemote

I guess I just want to stay away from another crazy and power-crazy bastard.  I didn't read much after Negan because the comics were becoming repetitive (insane bad guys around every corner!) but I think that opinion is in the minority.  I mean, our heroes are either going to find/make a civilization and live happily ever after (end of comics) or face threats and conflicts...so...I don't know what I expect then, LOL.

• Love 3

I don't really think that being grey is more realistic. Maybe that's a nice sentiment... Maybe that means that no matter who we are, we could all be pushed places, and do the same things, but I don't think I believe it. Maybe it's more compelling for storytelling because it gives us a character that we can't 100% predict. That's the show Governor. Tortured by his loss of family, he adapts... But because we knew where he started he was grey. And that's why he didn't rape Michonne. He would have completely crossed the line.

Negan is unlike anyone we've come across with his own rules... I don't know if it's true, but what if he kinda failed at his "old" life and excels at this one? Maybe he's not adapting .... Maybe he's like Darryl, who's more familiar with this life, this life makes sense to him and the way things were didn't. I haven't read beyond volume 22, and I can't remember volume 21 and I'm currently rereading but my current idea about Negan definitely makes him different. I'm probably most interested in Negan because my favourite part of the show is how people change.

But in order for that to be interesting, we have to start with all different people, in all different spots. Some people are psychopaths already- what would they be like in an apocalypse?

Negan makes the Governor looks like a boy scout.He is probably my last favorite character ever - I've always wondered why nobody simply didn't kill him long before Rick and co., but I disgress. There is no way they can bring Negan on board the way he was in the comics. Carl almost being raped and the Termites were this close to going too too far, IMO.

• Love 1

I don't think we will see Negan this season unless it is the finale. I kind of hope they spend some down time in ASZ. So many new characters there. In fact, I wonder if they'll spend the rest of the season getting to ASZ and the last shot of the season will show a bustling community. Maybe with Douglas. I am hesitant about all the new characters. Hopefully a lot of extras.

I can't remember exactly when Glenn meets Negan. How long after the ASZ intro?

Part of me feels like they're trying too hard to get back closer to the comics. Kirkman has made comments to that effect. I don't know if he wants to be more in control and he lets more control go to the other writers if they don't follow an existing storyline, or whether that's a creative direction they all like (if it's not broke, don't fix it, or wanting to stick to safe, known quantities). But deviations from the comic seem to have been some of the biggest fan-favorites (see:Daryl). I almost think I'd prefer they went further from the comics, or split off completely.

For one, things would be as much of a new experience for comic readers as TV-only viewers, and they might wind up going someplace great that the comics never did.

• Love 5

I haven't read any of the comics past the All Out War arc -- I am saving them until this season of the show is over, but my husband has alluded to the whisperers.  I find that interesting as well.  I don't think that the W is in reference to them, however, because of the prominent Wolves Not Far graffiti.  

I have considered the possibility of the name being changed for the television show; we have already seen new names for other enemies, like Gareth, and perhaps the W would be the Whisperers renamed the Wolves for the show. But it is early for them, perhaps it is just a hint of what may come later---like Morgan doing brief appearances, etc.

• Love 1

Part of me feels like they're trying too hard to get back closer to the comics. Kirkman has made comments to that effect. I don't know if he wants to be more in control and he lets more control go to the other writers if they don't follow an existing storyline, or whether that's a creative direction they all like (if it's not broke, don't fix it, or wanting to stick to safe, known quantities). But deviations from the comic seem to have been some of the biggest fan-favorites (see:Daryl). I almost think I'd prefer they went further from the comics, or split off completely.

For one, things would be as much of a new experience for comic readers as TV-only viewers, and they might wind up going someplace great that the comics never did.

Oh I wish they would deviate.  I wish we could vote Kirkman off the Island.  We've already seen how some things just don't translate from comic to screen Re: Abe, Eugene, Rosita and really IMHO The Gov.  I've tried to get into the comics but it just isn't my thing.  I did read up until Negan and I do not see how they can make him real and not comic like unless they completely change his character.  To bad (not really) that Joe is dead because that actor sold the hell out of being a bad guy and made it seem like something that could really happen.

• Love 7

Now that the group's near Washington, I'm still very much dreading the debut of Negan. If there was ever a time I wanted the TV show to deviate even further than the comics, it's for Negan. 

However, I would like to see 'A Larger World' story-line played out on screen. I'm so torn. There are some nice character beats amidst the repetitiveness of the comics. I just wish there was a way the show could get there without Negan and Lucille. 

• Love 3

I read the comics up to the point where Rick and company made it to Alexandria and then got bored with all the violence. It was just ridiculous how some horrible atorcity occurred in every issue and I was actually getting numbed to it. Have the comics had that affect on anyone else?

• Love 4

I read the comics up to the point where Rick and company made it to Alexandria and then got bored with all the violence. It was just ridiculous how some horrible atorcity occurred in every issue and I was actually getting numbed to it. Have the comics had that affect on anyone else?

I am in the same boat. I know there has to be action to keep the plot moving forward, but I felt that the story was getting repetitive. I stopped reading at the end of compendium two, which is right after they get to the ASZ. Well, right after the ASZ gets overrun and then saved again, but right before the introduction of Negan.

• Love 1