Type keyword(s) to search

The Comics: Same, Yet Different

• Start Topic

Not sure if this could go in the general spoiler thread or or, but to avoid people's panties getting into a wad I put this here.

Since Andrea is dead in the TV version and she has some important roles in the coming story, who takes her roles?

I'm thinking Shasha ia preped to take Andrea's sniper role. But who ends up with the part of Rick's love interest? Carol?

Or would Carol fit better in Maggie's role of the leader of Hilltop? Possibly with Daryl?

Well Remember in the comics, when they first got to Alexandria Rick took up with a lady that was already there, she had a son close to Carl's age. When the walls came down and the leader of ASZ shot Carl in the face, Rick had been with that lady and was trying to help her escape the throngs of dead ones. I suspect THAT will be the "new love interest" this time around. As far as who will really fill the role of Andrea vis a vi Rick's love interest? Maggie is a great bet, Sasha would be super cool and yeah, in my heart of hearts, I'd love to see him with Carol.

• Love 2

. But who ends up with the part of Rick's love interest? Carol?

Or would Carol fit better in Maggie's role of the leader of Hilltop? Possibly with Daryl?

I read in the spoiler thread they're bringing in a new love interest for Rick.

Well Remember in the comics, when they first got to Alexandria Rick took up with a lady that was already there, she had a son close to Carl's age. When the walls came down and the leader of ASZ shot Carl in the face, Rick had been with that lady and was trying to help her escape the throngs of dead ones. I suspect THAT will be the "new love interest" this time around. As far as who will really fill the role of Andrea vis a vi Rick's love interest? Maggie is a great bet, Sasha would be super cool and yeah, in my heart of hearts, I'd love to see him with Carol.

Yes---Rick has two love interests (not at the same time :-D).

First, a woman he meets at ASZ, then a member of his own group

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/img/photos/2015/02/25/fd/2f/tmpHc8ZH1-mdly-photo.jpg

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 2

So as of now, the differences between the show and the comics:
Andrea and Sophia are dead. Carol and Judith are alive. Daryl, Sasha, Tara and Noah do not exist in the comics.

Am I forgetting anyone?

Yes---Rick has two love interests (not at the same time :-D).

First, a woman he meets at ASZ, then a member of his own group

Yes, and I expect the first part of that to play out as in the comic, as that is a significant element of the plot line that ends with Rick taking over leadership of the ASZ. It's the second part of that romance that I am curious about. I'm absolutely NOT a shipper of any sort, I'm just curious how things will play out without Andrea available.

As far as who will really fill the role of Andrea vis a vi Rick's love interest? Maggie is a great bet, Sasha would be super cool and yeah, in my heart of hearts, I'd love to see him with Carol.

Rich't a little old for Maggie, there'd be a skeevie factor in their relationship. Though raising Judith and Herschel togethet would be practical and it could form the basis of a possible attraction between Rick and Maggie.

Carol fits Rick better agewise, but I think I like her leading Hilltop instead. That role would be great for her and it would be very inspiring script writing, so that means we'll never see it happen.

I think the characters undefined by the comic are a blank canvas, they can fill just about any plot line. Sasha as the SNiper. I think Hilltop would suit Daryl better than ASZ, more rural. I think Tara and Noah will find some nice new, clean red shirts to wear in ASZ.

• Love 3
(edited)

I never thought of Sasha as the sniper, but I think it's a good fit. One aspect that will be missing from the show is Andrea and Rick's "we don't die" mantra. No one but Carol has been around since CDB. I don't see any chemistry between AL and LC, so I don't think I'd like that pairing. I would rather Jessie live and be awesome, though I didn't care much for her in the books. I just reread that stuff, and I look forward to seeing it on screen.

I think Carol leading Hilltop might be great.

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 1

I never thought of Sasha as the sniper, but I think it's a good fit.

I'm wondering if that's why they put Sasha on the rooftop at the Rescue at Grady fiasco; didn't she demonstrate on Rick's hand signal when the Lollicop asked Rick if he had other people with him?

• Love 1

Who shot off Gareth's fingers? Rick or Sasha?

Rick.

But then he also asks Sasha (specifically) to shoot when they are asked in Scenes From Next Weeks Episode Promo.

I'm getting Sasha fills-in-for-someone flashes.

• Love 2

That's what I thought. Funny-I swore I saw the scene with Sasha taking out the walker but I remembered it at the end of the ep not the preview, so I kept wondering if I dreamed it when I re watched and didn't see it. I think the gun Sasha uses would be a decent representation of what Andrea has in the comic. You know, compared to a cartoon drawing.

• Love 1

Andrea and Sophia are dead. Carol and Judith are alive. Daryl, Sasha, Tara and Noah do not exist in the comics.

Am I forgetting anyone?

So wait, Father Pee Pants is in the comics?  Is he as useless there?

Sasha was stationed as a sniper during the Grady mess, I thought.

(edited)

I'm wondering if that's why they put Sasha on the rooftop at the Rescue at Grady fiasco; didn't she demonstrate on Rick's hand signal when the Lollicop asked Rick if he had other people with him?

Already mentioned...

Sasha was stationed as a sniper during the Grady mess, I thought.

...so your thought was correct!

Edited by kikismom

Sasha's been credited as a good shot ever since one of her first episodes (in Woodbury, she teases Tyreese about being a much better shot than he is). They lucked out on that one, as I doubt it was intentional at the time. 

I don't know where this goes, but it's something I read about tonight's episode -

someone keeps a walker tied to a tree. Doesn't that pretty much mean someone is getting Carol's comic story?

No,

in the comic, the boy that carl meets keeps a walker tied
up and this starts carl and the boy fighting and carl thinking
he won't make friends blah blah. It goes with the Carl storyline

Sasha's been credited as a good shot ever since one of her first episodes (in Woodbury, she teases Tyreese about being a much better shot than he is). They lucked out on that one, as I doubt it was intentional at the time. 

I don't know where this goes, but it's something I read about tonight's episode -

someone keeps a walker tied to a tree. Doesn't that pretty much mean someone is getting Carol's comic story?

Man, there was so much that happened in ASZ before Negan came along, like 30 issues worth of stuff, but I completely forgot about all of it. Not because it was forgettable, but because Negan and that entire war overshadowed it. I hope the show takes the time to explore things and doesn't introduce Negan until the end of next season.

I always that that show Carol sort of fell into the comic-book Andrea role, but I hope they don't go there with a Rick-Carol relationship. It just wouldn't work. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I totally agree with you, ae2. I just reread this stuff and I'd forgotten all that happened before Negan. I'm looking forward to it. I thought that Remember was a great episode, and a nice adaptation from the book stuff. I liked it.

I also find it interesting how the show switches up such minor things - the leader here is female, instead of Douglas. Someone's last name is Monroe, which is reminiscent of Paul Monroe from the comics (Jesus, IIRC). Jessie cuts Rick's hair and delivers things instead of Olivia. Jessie having Ron, but also another kid.

I'm really liking Sasha possibly taking Andrea's sniper role.

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 3

I read the comics up to the point where Rick and company made it to Alexandria and then got bored with all the violence. It was just ridiculous how some horrible atorcity occurred in every issue and I was actually getting numbed to it. Have the comics had that affect on anyone else?

Yes. I read up to Negan and then quit. He's too much the creation of a13yo sociopath who will live in his parents basement and never date a woman until he's 35, if ever.

• Love 5

I'm really liking Sasha possibly taking Andrea's sniper role.

Yeah, except for the whole silencer bit. Those things aren't effective for infinity, after all; the muffling medium tends to get compressed with each shot, with the effect of each subsequent shot being less muffled/silenced. As much as she's popped off with that equalizer, I doubt a real-world equivalent of her silencer would have much more silencing effect than a cereal box at this point.

• Love 2

Now that we're getting closer to that point, I will renew my hope that they won't shoot Carl in the eye. I just don't want to see it (no pun intended), and too many fans already reduce the character to endless memes instead of taking him seriously. 

• Love 4
(edited)

So, instead of Carl and the kid his own age getting in a fight about a chained walker, we have Glenn and Tara with the adult son and friends and devolves into fight with Glenn, Daryl, so forth. Interesting change.

I can understand cutting the housewife neighbor cutting Rick's hair to save characters with speaking roles but it did make the first Rick/Jessie meet a little abrupt.

The ASZ leader is now female.

Style changes, or plot points?

I still don't get the bit about Aaron following them for weeks! Sorry, but why be so specific in the clunky expository dialogue Well, Daryl, it's been 21 days to establish CDB road trip time and then have Aaron say they followed CDB for weeks?

• how do you follow people in 2 vehicles and one is an RV?

• why would you go out 100 miles (distance from Richmond to ASZ (day 17 to day 21) to "recruit"? ASZ is near bigger population centers, they can't find people closer?

• Were Aaron and Eric therefore at Richmond (day 17)?

• Shouldn't CDB be curious about that considering Shirewilt Estates/Wolves/Noah's family?

• If CDB were using walkie-talkies, could Aaron and Eric listen? Rick only said the batteries were dead at the barn. Before that, at Shirewilt, he was able to talk to Carol. Aaron and Eric would need commo if they are in separate vehicles. Shirewilt was 4 days before Aaron approached them at the barn, so that was well within this "following for weeks" timeline.

This is different from the comic, so why? Again, style change or plot detour? Or writers just don't care?

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 1

Am I forgetting anyone?

Yes, and I expect the first part of that to play out as in the comic, as that is a significant element of the plot line that ends with Rick taking over leadership of the ASZ. It's the second part of that romance that I am curious about. I'm absolutely NOT a shipper of any sort, I'm just curious how things will play out without Andrea available.

Rich't a little old for Maggie, there'd be a skeevie factor in their relationship. Though raising Judith and Herschel togethet would be practical and it could form the basis of a possible attraction between Rick and Maggie.

Carol fits Rick better agewise, but I think I like her leading Hilltop instead. That role would be great for her and it would be very inspiring script writing, so that means we'll never see it happen.

I think the characters undefined by the comic are a blank canvas, they can fill just about any plot line. Sasha as the SNiper. I think Hilltop would suit Daryl better than ASZ, more rural. I think Tara and Noah will find some nice new, clean red shirts to wear in ASZ.

I'm spoiled about the comics, though I didn't read them myself. I have the feeling that the show will stay close to the comics for now, so Jessie will actually be Rick's love interest for awhile, but I do think it will end the same way.

As far as Andres's role as Rick's new (and bigger) love interest, since in show Andrea is dead, I can either see him stay alone or ending up with someone from the main cast who he bonded with the most, and the only female character fitting this role, imho, is Michonne.

• Love 1
(edited)

So, instead of Carl and the kid his own age getting in a fight about a chained walker, we have Glenn and Tara with the adult son and friends and devolves into fight with Glenn, Daryl, so forth. Interesting change.

I can understand cutting the housewife neighbor cutting Rick's hair to save characters with speaking roles but it did make the first Rick/Jessie meet a little abrupt.

The ASZ leader is now female.

Style changes, or plot points?

I still don't get the bit about Aaron following them for weeks! Sorry, but why be so specific in the clunky expository dialogue Well, Daryl, it's been 21 days to establish CDB road trip time and then have Aaron say they followed CDB for weeks?

• how do you follow people in 2 vehicles and one is an RV?

• why would you go out 100 miles (distance from Richmond to ASZ (day 17 to day 21) to "recruit"? ASZ is near bigger population centers, they can't find people closer?

• Were Aaron and Eric therefore at Richmond (day 17)?

• Shouldn't CDB be curious about that considering Shirewilt Estates/Wolves/Noah's family?

• If CDB were using walkie-talkies, could Aaron and Eric listen? Rick only said the batteries were dead at the barn. Before that, at Shirewilt, he was able to talk to Carol. Aaron and Eric would need commo if they are in separate vehicles. Shirewilt was 4 days before Aaron approached them at the barn, so that was well within this "following for weeks" timeline.

This is different from the comic, so why? Again, style change or plot detour? Or writers just don't care?

The time observing them annoys me, but the timeline has never been consistently established on the show. Even mentioning 17 days is a rarity, right? So, I figure it's just a screw up, either by writers, or the actors in their interviews. I can't remember - did Aaron say in the show it had been weeks?

As far as other minor changes, I think they do a lot of it just because. All of the comic readers expect them to go in and meet Douglas Monroe. By having it be Deanna, it keeps readers on their toes a bit. We know that Kirkman likes to make what he considers better choices (not cutting off Rick's hand) on the show, so we know things may play out differently. 

Honestly, I have no interest in the Wolves. Let's keep our focus inside the walls for a while. 

I need to go find the deleted scenes (or just interviews?) about people's jobs, because Sasha in the med clinic? I guess Rick will have to come up with the sniper option on his own, like in the comic.

ETA: couple more random thoughts. I hope Carol and Daryl aren't marginalized because they aren't in the books at this point (or in his case at all, of course). Will Enid be the new Sophia? Friend of Carl who also lived on the outside? Foster child of any of our group?

At this point, I see them skipping the Maggie hanging deal, though I guess someone could take her place. Or maybe since Beth tried to commit suicide so long ago, they've checked that box.

Edited by mandolin

I'm spoiled about the comics, though I didn't read them myself. I have the feeling that the show will stay close to the comics for now, so Jessie will actually be Rick's love interest for awhile, but I do think it will end the same way.

As far as Andres's role as Rick's new (and bigger) love interest, since in show Andrea is dead, I can either see him stay alone or ending up with someone from the main cast who he bonded with the most, and the only female character fitting this role, imho, is Michonne.

I think Sasha, not just because she uses firearms instead of swords but because making Michonne into Andrea would screw up the Michonne arc which is in the comic.

• Love 1
(edited)

The time observing them annoys me, but the timeline has never been consistently established on the show. Even mentioning 17 days is a rarity, right? So, I figure it's just a screw up, either by writers, or the actors in their interviews. I can't remember - did Aaron say in the show it had been weeks?

Honestly, I have no interest in the Wolves. Let's keep our focus inside the walls for a while. 

Yes, according to other posts, he said it had been a couple weeks.

I'm not interested in the Wolves yet, or focusing on them. I am focusing on Rick's group being recruited; and if I were there I would want to ask Aaron: We were at Shirewilt only 4 days ago [21-17=4 :-P]---you saw that and didn't help? didn't warn us? just checking out how we handled it? Why were you down there? Did you see what happened, and how do you know all of us aren't being followed by someone else?

Because seriously it isn't cool to sit back and watch that and do nothing. If Aaron didn't see and wasn't following them at Shirewilt?...then he's lying about the 2 weeks.

You mentioned yourself that it is a rarity for the characters to talk about the passage of days. They've done it twice in a row now---not in interviews, in show dialogue---so it would be a funny mistake for the writers. They must mean for us to know the days. I just don't know why.

Edited by kikismom
(edited)

Okay can someone please tell me where the wolves are in the comic?  Maybe they are after I stopped reading (a little bit after Glenn met Lucille) but every google search just brings me to the mention on the show and how they might be the Saviours yet on Talking Dead just now Kevin mentions the wolves as if they are a comic thing.

Edited by MarquisDeCarabas

I'm wondering--in the comics, didn't Jessie and Rick not get together until after Pete was dead?  I'm wondering if they'll play it out that way on the show.  That would be preferable to a triangle, in my opinion.

• Love 1

I hope they do something different with the Rick/Jessie relationship on the show, because it was the first time in the comics that I truly disliked Rick. It seems like people on the episode forum are already turning against Rick based on a little kiss on the cheek. I shudder to think what will happen if everything goes down the way it did in the original storyline. Especially if he ends up being the reason she and her son(s) don't make it.

• Love 2

How was Rick the reason she didnt make it? He slathered everyone in gore, they would have all made it if she and her kid could have just maintained their composure, that's on them, not Rick. Hell none of that would have happened if the walls had been properly set in place to begin with.

• Love 2

No Wolves (by that name) in the comics. Next big bad would be the Saviors.

No horse in the comic that I can recall at this point. Maggie helps take care of them in Alexandria I believe, as part of her initial job.

Yes, Pete was abusive to Jessie and Ron (had a black eye when Rick met him). Rick confronts him, fights him (Michonne thinks he's going crazy), and Pete ends up living in a different house alone. He decides he doesn't care for that (duh), he goes to confront Rick but is stopped by Douglas Monroe's wife (will it be Deanna's husband?) who he ends up slashing in the throat with a knife. Rick kills Pete (by gun) with Douglas's approval.

Some other things in this ep - Sasha is definitely taking the sniper role it seems, and she took Michonne's role of being upset at the party and what people are worried about.

How was Rick the reason she didnt make it? He slathered everyone in gore, they would have all made it if she and her kid could have just maintained their composure, that's on them, not Rick. Hell none of that would have happened if the walls had been properly set in place to begin with.

Rick does kind of blame himself IIRC because they were killed. They were "normal" people. Ones that hadn't lived on the outside and were hardened and knew what you had to do/how to act to live. The first time he was slathered in guts, he was a bit awkward about it (ha). I don't think it was his fault per se, but I do think they'd have lived if they stayed in the house (CARL!). Maggie and Sophia did. I'm sure Jessie and Ron were afraid and that definitely contributed to their deaths. I think ComicJessie is a bit more meek than ShowJessie so far.

• Love 1

No Wolves (by that name) in the comics. Next big bad would be the Saviors.

No horse in the comic that I can recall at this point. Maggie helps take care of them in Alexandria I believe, as part of her initial job.

Yes, Pete was abusive to Jessie and Ron (had a black eye when Rick met him). Rick confronts him, fights him (Michonne thinks he's going crazy), and Pete ends up living in a different house alone. He decides he doesn't care for that (duh), he goes to confront Rick but is stopped by Douglas Monroe's wife (will it be Deanna's husband?) who he ends up slashing in the throat with a knife. Rick kills Pete (by gun) with Douglas's approval.

Some other things in this ep - Sasha is definitely taking the sniper role it seems, and she took Michonne's role of being upset at the party and what people are worried about.

Rick does kind of blame himself IIRC because they were killed. They were "normal" people. Ones that hadn't lived on the outside and were hardened and knew what you had to do/how to act to live. The first time he was slathered in guts, he was a bit awkward about it (ha). I don't think it was his fault per se, but I do think they'd have lived if they stayed in the house (CARL!). Maggie and Sophia did. I'm sure Jessie and Ron were afraid and that definitely contributed to their deaths. I think ComicJessie is a bit more meek than ShowJessie so far.

I hold Rick mostly responsible for what happened to Jessie and her son in the comic because he expected them to be able to handle sneaking through a giant herd of walkers with basically no protection other than a slathering of walker guts. These were people who had almost no exposure to the "real" world, but he expected them to be totally calm. They were not ready for that, but he convinced them to leave the house. As pointed out above, Rick certainly wasn't the picture of composure on his first tiptoe through the walker fields.

I can't remember the exact details of how it all went down (it's been awhile), but if I remember correctly he told Jessie that they would be safe and he could protect them. Then he left them behind because he was worried that they were putting Carl in danger. I can't fault him for protecting his own son, but I think they would have been safe if he let them stay in the house while he and the more experienced fighters tried to take out the walkers before he just decided to cut and run. Which, if I recall, was how that particular attack ended. Rick saw all the fighters band together and kill (rekill?) the walkers and then realized that they could make things work in the ASZ if they stuck together. Too bad Jessie and Ron had already paid the price for his rash decision. YMMV.

• Love 1

I just checked my handy-dandy compendium, and yes, Rick tells them to stay calm and they'll be fine. Michonne is there too (right after Morgan dies from walker related injuries/bites), and is taking Dr. Denise on ahead as she isn't covered in guts. Jessie's son Ron pees himself then starts talking about how scared he is. Jessie talks too, and Rick tries to shush them. Ron gets taken down, Jessie gets taken down, and Jessie won't let go of Carl's hand. Rick cuts her hand off, Carl gets his eye shot out, you know, the usual.

The only thing I can say is Rick didn't have to work very hard to convince them. Jessie immediately says "I'd follow you anywhere." I think she is pretty unstable.

Sasha also appears to be taking on Comic Andrea's role as object of Spencer's affection.

• Love 2

Jessie talks too, and Rick tries to shush them. Ron gets taken down, Jessie gets taken down, and Jessie won't let go of Carl's hand. Rick cuts her hand off, Carl gets his eye shot out, you know, the usual.

And that's about the last thing I remember before I stopped reading the comic. It's just too hard to relate to brutality on that scale over and over again.

Sasha also appears to be taking on Comic Andrea's role as object of Spencer's affection.

Well, SOMEBODY has to.

Unless Spencer is really into necrophilia.

Then they can give him a map.

And possibly some really strong smelling salts and a space heater.

And that's about the last thing I remember before I stopped reading the comic. It's just too hard to relate to brutality on that scale over and over again.

Right there with you. At that point, I stopped liking Rick and stopped trusting his decisions. Once the person whose story I am following becomes too brutal to root for, I am out. See also- why I stopped watching Revenge.

• Love 2
(edited)

I still read them. My love for TV Rick spills over into the comic, but he does become someone I like as he gets the vision for rebuilding. I skim over a lot of story stuff, but seeing how he endures and changes is pretty cool. Maybe his relationship after Jessie has something to so with it (for me), but Carl being shot again is definitely a pivotal moment (however ridiculous it is).

Right after the thing with Carl's eye, Rick and a group take down a huge group of walkers that has breached the walls, and he realizes that they aren't a threat anymore. They can be managed. He starts to really talk about the future and hope. (I'm skimming the compendium now to remember.) It's definitely a different Rick, but I found it pretty interesting. Lots of good ideas for shoring up the community.

As an aside, I wish they'd given TVJessie's son a black eye to start. Just make Pete bad, or leave that out completely. Not everything has to be ambiguous with creepy music and gazes into the middle distance.

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 2