Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Two Guys, a Girl, and a Thai Food Place

Miles and Cara help a young woman who fell into a coma after disappearing the night before her wedding and wakes with no memory of that evening. Also, Rakesh comes face-to-face with Simon Hayes, the tech CEO who may be involved with the God Account, and Arthur’s mentorship of Rev. Carver gets off to a rocky start.

(edited)

Great episode as usual. I'm glad Miles and Cara are getting together, i'm excited to see what they will be like as a couple. I'm glad they kept it simple and didn't go for a grand gesture because it felt so natural. And Violette Beane is one gorgeous woman.

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 8

Wow, everybody got together in this episode!  I just love Jaya and Rakesh together.  I'm so glad they won't have to be apart anymore.  He really needs to develop more confidence, but his modesty is winsome. 

Cara:  Lady in Red.

Note to Fliss:  Leave a Tender Moment Alone.

• Love 4

I also liked that there was a bit of a mystery in the A-plot.

I know I was vocal about not liking the Rakesh/Jaya subplot at the start of the season, but I really liked them in this episode. It was kind of an obvious solution, but I still liked that Rakesh made a third option with his proposal to Hayes.

"I would leave, but this is my place." -- hee!

So we had like 4 love stories in this episode, right? I'm glad that Miles and Cara got to end this episode drama-free. I was internally squeeing when he asked her out finally! Knew Fliss and the photographer were going to end up together. (Another easy call, but still cute!)

I'm not really invested in the God account mystery, so I don't really have anything to say about Simon Hayes.

Well, the new reverend(?) has visited Ali's bar, so how long before he get roped into a God Account case? (Or maybe they'll let him stay Arthur's subplot for a while.)

• Love 3

Well, it's been a while since I rooted that hard for a couple to get together. The fact that it's possible to watch a whole episode of this show without even spending more than a passing thought on the God mystery just shows how good the writing is.

So glad this got renewed!

• Love 6

All the women on this show wear great coats.

I'm happy they're finally going there with Miles and Cara, and I thought Fliss and the photographer were cute. "I love long stories!" Aw.

I cracked up when Miles' sister pointed out that Reverend Smash was at a BAR for a cup of coffee.

• Love 8

Finally! I literally squeed when Miles finally asked Kara out. They are so freaking cute. Too bad for all the breaks because this would have been a perfect V day episode.

Nice twist with Noah not being the girl’s soulmate and having it be her fiancé. I also enjoyed Jaya and Rakesh being drama free. 

• Love 5

I don't get Rakesh's soul-searing love for Jaya.  She never gave him a voice on the move to Minnesota and despite all the communication maintained, she refused to keep him up to date on her residency rankings.  From my perspective, she got her dream residency which happens to be in NYC.  He's been a needy nerd the entire time.  She refused to honor that and give up a little personal freedom to maneuver.  Not nice.

An enormous problem with iconic figures like Simon Hayes in any context is that while it is super cool when a reach is made as it is vis-a-vis Rakesh jumping a bunch of layers, such iconoclasts ruin once favored shiny new hotshots on similar whims.  The hand-picked team already in place would eat Rakesh alive and in all probability, resent the stew out of him for forcing a monster move to the Tri-State area.

Dad's treatment of Rev. Smash was similarly awful.  His superiors plainly wanted the new guy to fully experience priestly duties - sermon's inclusive.  The first draft was entirely acceptable from an ecclesiastical point of view (he's going to deliver it with full approval).  He is a "baby priest."  It is vital that they be encouraged and affirmed when appropriate.  Churches are losing too many of them for various reasons.  And Daddio's passive-aggressive BS is not called for.

The romance with Cara is earned.  For me, it's way too early.  I will be far more annoyed with the coming necessary soap opera misdirections we all know are coming than I would have been a denial of the chemistry they obviously have.

At this point, Neela (Pria) is the one interesting character for me.  Well, not including, God.  🙂

• Love 1

I liked the way they worked Fliss into this episode, plus moved her search for love forward in a big way.  Strange, though, that she knew Noah from the building but it's only now that he showed her any interest.

I think the assistant priest is going to have some important stuff to say in his sermons that will tie in with the God account somehow.  Like @Lonesome Rhodes, I was not a fan of the mind games Arthur played with him over the sermon.  Even though he had good intentions at heart it still felt uncalled for and manipulative.

When Simon Hayes said that they were going to help a lot of people with their new project the show was leading us to believe that it has to do with the God account and that the trial run he spoke of was with Miles.  I think it would be a little too early and too neat for it to be that but if it is I'm wondering how they're going to handle this.  As for Miles and Cara, I love the idea of them getting together but I agree with Lonesome that it seems a little too early for some reason, so you know they're going to throw a wrench in it somehow to slow it down.  We just got over the Eli wrench, now I'm cringing thinking there might be a bigger one coming.

Hubbie and I were wracking our brains trying to figure out which medical center was in that brief shot.  We froze the frame and thought it must be in one of the boroughs but we just couldn't place it.  I even went to Wikipedia for hospitals in NYC and couldn't find a photo of any one that looked like the one on the show.  It looked like a pretty huge complex near a train.  The closest thing it resembled was the Veteran's Hospital in the Bronx.  I grew up right across the street from that so I know the area well yet none of the other landmarks in the photo on the show rang a bell.  If anyone knows where it is I'd love to solve the mystery.

• Love 3

This is the first episode I was "meh" about.  I think it's because aside from a tiny bit with Miles' dad, this was all about romantic relationships and to the 4th power.  Nothing wrong with romance, but every show has romance.  I like the helping out strangers, familial relationships, friendships, etc too.  All romance all the time is boring, imo, and gets very very predictable.  Now that everyone is coupled up maybe we can focus on the other things again.

• Love 3

Miles asked Cara out! Finally! I knew it was coming, but I love that it all happened so naturally, it seemed organic to me, and I am really excited to see what happens next with them. They're already so cute, and that red dress Cara was wearing at the end was to die for!

I liked the main story, I guessed pretty quickly that girl might have been having an affair or was with a guy that night, and that she knew or suspected, and then I thought that maybe the fiance and her would split up by end a time note, but I like how it ended. I really should have guessed that she would realize she was in love with him, this isnt the kind of show that leaves people sad and heartbroken like the fiance would be, even if it might be for the best if she wasnt fully into him, so it was sweet to see them reconnecting and that she realized she was making the right choice. But I did like that they brought up the idea of her breaking up with the guy, and that no one was vilified, and that Cara and Miles were both just trying to be supportive, even if they both clearly were bringing their own issues into the whole thing. 

The plots with Miles dad and the new priest and the bits with Adam Goldburg and Jaya and Rakesh were good too, glad that Jaya seems to be back for now! And I loved seeing Fliss again! And she might have found her soulmate as well! That God Account, always multitasking!

• Love 5

I really love this show. I loved how things worked out between the engaged couple. I suspected she probably met someone but it was nice that she realized she was in love with her fiancé. I liked that they didn't go there with her sleeping with other guy and finding out. I liked that the fiancé suspected something was off at the rehearsal. So many shows would just have him be clueless. I loved that Miles finally asked Cara out. And that it wasn't a grand gesture or anything. I liked Fliss showing up. Its really great that the show revisits past people. I like that she and Noah ended up being attracted to each other. I didn't like Arthur being so harsh with the new reverend. He explained why but it really seemed like if he had gone through that before he wouldn't want to do it to someone else. Give him support instead. There will probably still be places when he does need to say something because he is new and is going to make mistakes. I don't know how I feel about Rakash countering to move the project to New York. Its great that he doesn't have to move and tried. But now a whole bunch of other people has to move to New York. I like Jaya. I want Cara's wardrobe. 

• Love 2

I had a hard time taking Simon Hayes seriously because I only know Adam Goldberg as Eddie, Chandler's crazy new roommate after Joey moved to his own apartment. First I was distracted because I couldn't remember why he looked and especially sounded so familiar. And once I figured it out I could only see him as Eddie.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

That is some high-tech company. Programmers must be at the same location to collaborate on work while the rest of us have worked with people worldwide at least since 2000. Too bad they haven't discovered conference calls, email, or secure networks yet, it would really make their lives easier.

All romance all the time is boring, imo, and gets very very predictable.  Now that everyone is coupled up maybe we can focus on the other things again.

Everyone should have a dream. 😀 

I so agree with you about predictability. This is what people want from TV programming. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, paulvdb said:

I had a hard time taking Simon Hayes seriously because I only know Adam Goldberg as Eddie, Chandler's crazy new roommate after Joey moved to his own apartment. First I was distracted because I couldn't remember why he looked and especially sounded so familiar. And once I figured it out I could only see him as Eddie.

Even his IMDb bio begins "An actor with a talent for mining the neuroses of his characters . . ."

5 hours ago, Trini said:

This one is directed by Joe Morton!

I was surprised to learn he's 71—hasn't visibly aged a day in 15 years.

• Love 2
On 3/5/2019 at 12:42 AM, Yeah No said:

Hubbie and I were wracking our brains trying to figure out which medical center was in that brief shot.  We froze the frame and thought it must be in one of the boroughs but we just couldn't place it.  I even went to Wikipedia for hospitals in NYC and couldn't find a photo of any one that looked like the one on the show.  It looked like a pretty huge complex near a train.  The closest thing it resembled was the Veteran's Hospital in the Bronx.  I grew up right across the street from that so I know the area well yet none of the other landmarks in the photo on the show rang a bell.  If anyone knows where it is I'd love to solve the mystery.

I re-watched, and though I don't recognize the specific place, it looks like somewhere in Queens to me. (And it's also possible that the building complex isn't even a hospital, but they just liked that overheard shot.)

• Love 1

Just caught up on the previous episode ...

Another good episode, but boy, the dude who played Aiden was ROUGH. 

I agree. What happened to his voice at the end? Got much deeper and more gravely. Out of all the actors in New York, that was the best that they could do?

The coma woman ... that photographer definitely got a great photo of her!