Type keyword(s) to search

Golden Girls Alphabet Game

• Start Topic

Z is for the Zorro mask nearly being knocked out of poor Ed Rosen's hand!

Now that we've done our favorite moments, maybe we could do our least favorite moments?

A is for Anita Bryant, and Dorothy being disappointed that she didn't get to meet her.

What the hell, Dorothy? I've decided to assume that she wanted to meet her just so that she could throw orange juice in her face.

• Love 1

C is for cryogenics, when the girls had their heads frozen at Rose's request.  The rest of the episode is fine, but the scene of them at the kitchen table as just heads makes me fast forward.

F is for the Fire at Shady Pines - specifically, the idea that Sophia would be prosecuted solely because a dying old woman claimed, years later, that Sophia accidentally started the fire with a hot plate.

I think Dorothy just wanted to win the contest.   

Dorothy spoke bitterly about how she was treated badly, while the winners got to meet Anita Bryant. It would be a very odd way to describe the situation if she didn't want to meet Anita Bryant herself.

N is for Nils Neablung (however you spell the last name), the father in the St. Olaf story that Dorothy told.

Aw, I don't count that as a least-favorite moment.  Least-favorite episode, certainly, but I think Dorothy pulling a Rose is a real bright spot within that.

"Does this story have a point?"

"You asked that at just the right time."

But, then I love the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome episodes, so I'm used to being out of step.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Q is for the quiz show Jeopardy, which Dorothy applied for.  I hate it when she acts superior to everyone else.

R is for Rebecca, Blanche's daughter.  For one thing, I hate how she is treated in the overweight episode.  But when the other, thin actress shows up later in the series with the plan to have artificial insemination, it drove me nuts.  

No Maherjunkie, it bugged me that they used such obviously different actresses for the same character.  The number of children Blanche had seemed to keep changing (I think they totaled 6) -- why not just add another one?

T is for the tree that Freida Claxton wanted to cut down.  I think the reason I didn't like the episode was that everyone blamed Rose for her death.  I did get a giggle out of Mr Pfeiffer, though.

Along those lines, U is for Re-Using character names.  Obviously it happens all the time in real life, but I like my shows to have a bit more creativity.  Becky was both Blanche's daughter and Lily's dog.  Angela was both Sophia's sister and Phil's wife.  Katherine was both Stan's wife and Gloria's daughter.  Gloria and Phil were both Dorothy's siblings and the names of the characters at the Maltese Falcon Club.  Etc etc....

• Love 1

I did get a giggle out of Mr Pfeiffer, though.

"Hey, Puh-feiffer, how would you like a punch in the puh-face?"

V is for the Very Special Episode about homelessness.  It's an issue much of the media - and the country - was happily ignoring, so I certainly appreciate the sentiment, but it is so clumsily executed at every turn that I just hate it.

• Love 2

W is for Work, which they only mention if a huge plot line calls for it. It seems like they only work a few days a year. Dorothy being a sub, I can understand that but day after day they just sit around chatting, having fun.

Y is for the Younger Man that Blanche dates, the aerobics instructor.  I just thought it was so ridiculous that Blanche thought they were a compatible couple, age-wise.  Of course, it was nice when she found out that she was a mother figure to him.