Type keyword(s) to search

The Witcher In The Media

• Start Topic

That’s terrible news. Absolute show-wrecker. Cavill was the show for me, and this is coming from a person who read the books and played the video games before watching the show. Cavill was the perfect Geralt and there are very few actors who could pull off the role. You have to wonder if deciding to film seasons 4 and 5 back to back forced this. If so, it’s a gigantic blunder. 

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, UnknownK said:

Does Netflix not pay well?

Henry actually took a pay cut to play Geralt because he loved the character so much and he really wanted the part. But this news doesn't shock me. Henry has been saying constantly he wants the show to stick closer to the source material. The showrunner has been lying about sticking to the source material. She has used this show for her own virtue signaling and nepotism (the writers were friends of hers) and nothing else. I always knew that unless he was locked down in a 5 Seasons contract, Henry would eventually pull out.

Plus this really surprised no one after a writer just a few days ago came out and said the writers on the show actively hated the games/books and would make fun of them.

Now he got Superman back (with a massive paycheck probably and the guarantee for a faithful character representation) so he said 'goodbye'.

Edited by Smad
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

He got Superman back, might have had to choose between filming MoS2 and The Witcher?

I'm guessing this is probably it.  Filming two upcoming seasons back to back won't give him time to film a Superman movie.

• Love 2

I understand why he would back out (either the rumors about the lack of respect toward the source material or simply getting a higher paycheck from film commitments as Superman seem decent enough reasons), but Liam Hemsworth is just the wrong replacement for this. He had neither the grit or gravitas that Cavill has in this role. I beyond cannot picture it, and I think they really shot themselves in the foot with this casting change. Looks like the show will end with Season 3 for me.

• Love 1

Yeah. I think Cavill moving on has more to do with his Superman gig than how the show deviated from the source material. I mean it’s rare that books turned into movies/TV shows follow the source material. Many times they deviate sometimes quite drastically for dramatic affect. 

All that said, I think Liam Hemsworth is a terrible choice. He cannot act and has no charisma. I doubt he’ll even come close to carrying the show the way Cavill did. 

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, magdalene said:

As soon as the news broke that Cavill was back on as Superman I knew they would have to cancel or recast. I'll give Liam Hemsworth a chance.

I think it's a factor but, I can't believe it's the sole reason.  Cavill fought too hard for the role and, loves the source material. I don't see him dropping it just for Superman unless forced to by WB or Netflix. Or perhaps a contract negotiation gone poorly, especially if the rumors about him fighting with the writer/show runner over how Geralt was written. 

But, if it was a choice between the two, I lost out because I could live without Superman but, I really loved Geralt/The Witcher.  Ah well, at least I have the books.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I think it's a factor but, I can't believe it's the sole reason.  Cavill fought too hard for the role and, loves the source material. I don't see him dropping it just for Superman unless forced to by WB or Netflix. Or perhaps a contract negotiation gone poorly, especially if the rumors about him fighting with the writer/show runner over how Geralt was written. 

But, if it was a choice between the two, I lost out because I could live without Superman but, I really loved Geralt/The Witcher.  Ah well, at least I have the books.

Yeah, it’s a shocker to me as he was very vocal about loving the part. He has hinted at differing opinions as to how the show should be written/presented, so maybe he is leaving in disgust, or was ousted. But still, I have to wonder if there isn’t more to it. I’m definitely out. I only watched for Henry and I’m not a Liam Hemsworth fan. Maybe if they’d cast his brother... 😉 

8 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I lost out because I could live without Superman

Me too. I’m not into Superman at all. (No smooth British accent and...tights. No thanks.)

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 3
16 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

My mom told me about this today- still processing. At least we have season 3. 

I'm torn between watching S3 and then quitting or not even bothering with S3. I'm amazed at how bummed I am by the news. 

I saw a few posts on Twitter and I think for me this is a 2 part issue. I hate when they recast BUT I can be forgiving of external issues IF the recast works for me. I probably wouldn't hate this as much if they cast someone better. I saw people throwing around Zach McGowan (Black Sails), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Game of Thrones) even Mads Mikkelson (Hannible) and, I was interested, even excited for Zach McGowan. Shame they went with Liam Hemsworth.

• Love 1

FukRIT4XsAAbKPp?format=jpg&name=large

The Witcher Season 3 will be released on Netflix in two parts, a five-episode Volume 1 on June 29, 2023, then a three-episode Volume 2 on July 27, 2023.

“As monarchs, mages and beasts of the Continent compete to capture her, Geralt takes Ciri of Cintra into hiding, determined to protect his newly reunited family against those who threaten to destroy it. Entrusted with Ciri’s magical training, Yennefer leads them to the protected fortress of Aretuza, where she hopes to discover more about the girl’s untapped powers; instead, they discover they’ve landed in a battlefield of political corruption, dark magic and treachery. They must fight back, put everything on the line — or risk losing each other forever.”

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Witcher: Sirens of the Deep is an animated Witcher movie coming out in 2024 on Netflix. 

Geralt is hired to investigate a series of attacks in a seaside village and finds himself drawn into a centuries-old conflict between humans and merpeople. He must count on friends, old and new, to solve the mystery before the hostilities between the two kingdoms escalate into all-out war.

The Witcher: Sirens of the Deep falls between Episodes 5 and 6 of The Witcher  Season 1.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Seasons 4 and 5 will adapt the books, Baptism of Fire, The Tower of the Swallow, and Lady of the Lake.

Liam Hemsworth as Geralt of Rivia

liamheader.jpg.webp

Freya Allan as Princess Cirilla of Cintra

liam2.jpg

Anya Chalotra as Yennefer of Vengerberg

liam3.jpg

Joey Batey as Jaskier

liam4.jpg

• Like 1
On 5/16/2024 at 7:16 PM, PatsyandEddie said:

He actually looks very similar to HC though not as muscular. Not bad!!

It is remarkable how much. I’m sure he has studied body language and makeup works some magic, as well as photo angles, but really looks like Cavill as Geralt. 

• Like 2