Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread: The Final Countdown

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

(edited)

GATV's predictions/hopes (based on spoilers revealed so far) - it's funny how Dinah/BC is conveniently forgotten...

Arrow Season 8: 9 Announcements We Could Hear At Comic-Con 2019
Craig Byrne  July 15, 2019
http://www.greenarrowtv.com/arrow-season-8-9-announcements-we-could-hear-at-comic-con-2019/ 

What is “Starling City” all about? First off, let’s take a look at the season premiere title: “Starling City.” Star City hasn’t had that name for several seasons, and here’s a probably not so bold prediction: The episode is about another Earth, one that we’ll be seeing in the coming Crisis. With the announcements of Colin Donnell and Josh Segarra guest starring already, we’ll assume they’re back for the season premiere. Maybe Tommy is the Dark Archer as we all predicted he would be back when Arrow premiered in 2012? And could “Starling City” follow a world where Oliver never came back from the island, and thus, someone else became the Green Arrow? Perhaps that new Green Arrow costume belongs to Adrian Chase? Either way, some things will surely be confirmed in the first trailer.

That black leather jacket belongs to either Laurel or Mia. There’s a portion of the fandom that for whatever reason doesn’t want Mia Smoak to become a Canary, but considering how iconic that character is to the Arrow mythos, it wouldn’t surprise us one bit, though her as a new Green Arrow in the future would be equally awesome. If that’s not the case? We’ll be seeing Katie Cassidy Rodgers in her most comics-accurate Black Canary costume to date. Another possibility? If Adrian Chase is Green Arrow in “Starling City,” perhaps he’s teamed up with Caity Lotz’s Canary. It could happen…

More guest stars will be announced. Colin Donnell and Josh Segarra are big announcements, but we wouldn’t be surprised if we get a few more names revealed for appearing in Season 8, if not the season premiere, especially if we’re going to other worlds. Paul Blackthorne, Susanna Thompson, Willa Holland, and John Barrowman would all definitely fall on that list, and they’d surely be the most likely; who knows if Titans casting Esai Morales as Slade will keep us from seeing Deathstroke again. To see Celina Jade again as Shado would be interesting, and maybe there’s a world where Emiko (Sea Shimooka) was always on the side of good. Wasn’t Jamey Sheridan’s Robert Queen the Green Arrow of Earth-2? Maybe that’s another one we could see. And it’s been an awfully long time since we’ve seen Jessica de Gouw as the Huntress, hasn’t it?

Smallville stars in Crisis. Before Arrow, there was another long-running TV series featuring DC Comics characters on The CW. Our prediction? At least one of the main leads of Smallville — no, not Allison Mack — will be announced as appearing in Crisis on Infinite Earths, and taking that a step further, it’ll be either Tom Welling or Michael Rosenbaum. A Justin Hartley Green Arrow announcement would be awesome, but with his This Is Us commitments, that might not be a possibility.

John Diggle will wear a green ring. David Ramsey’s John Diggle will be seen with the Green Lantern ring at some point before the series is done — even if it’s just an alternate-universe version of him. Bonus: Lyla Michaels will be seen as Harbinger from another world, complete with metal suit and big 80’s hair.

Future Star City backdoor pilot. Our prediction is that one of the ten episodes of Arrow Season 8 will be a “test run” for a series starring Kat McNamara and Joseph David-Jones as Mia and Connor. There might not be an announcement at SDCC, but someone on the panel will ask if fans are interested, and there will likely be cheering. Also, don’t be surprised if Ben Lewis (William) and/or Andrea Sixtos (Zoe) are upgraded to series regular status for the final season.

A new Arrowverse series will be announced. Even without a Star City 2040 pilot, and even though The CW already has 5 or 6 DC shows already at a given time, another new series development, possibly involving a character that will be in Crisis, will be announced… and it will center among one of the major characters we know from the Justice League. (Our money’s on a character whose name is heard in the song “Sunshine Superman.”)

James Bamford will direct the Arrow series finale. Because he’s great, and because he’s been there from the beginning.

Emily Bett Rickards (Felicity) will be back. Probably the biggest splash of an announcement for Arrow’s final season would be that Emily Bett Rickards, who departed the series with the Season 7 finale, will be appearing in the eighth and final season. Maybe the announcement will be for just the series finale. Maybe more. Or perhaps Emily has already filmed something for Crisis, when she made her last appearance in “You Have Saved This City?” Regardless, nothing could energize a lot of Arrow fans as much as knowing we’d see Felicity again, even if it’s just for a little while.

Edited by tv echo

More indications they are doing an AU season one.?

Barrowman and DR may pass but SA, CD and CH look different than their 2012 selves. KC changed her appearance between seasons1 and 2.

(edited)

CD captioned his pic with #EarthX so I guess that’s where his alt will be from?

Also, this looks like the Queen Consolidated set:

Edited by Trisha
9 hours ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Can't be Earth-X, that Tommy's dead. I think he just tagged the characters everyone in the photo has played?

Oh, that makes sense. Also Oliver’s old bedroom is back:

1 hour ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Until someone tells me otherwise, I’m going to keep thinking “Tommy” is actually “Oliver” on another Earth. Don’t take my only 10% serious speculation away from me!

I like this theory. It also could explain MG's tweet about how no one understands his "Not Oliver's" hint about the costume. He didn't only mean it's not Oliver's costume, he meant it's the costume of Not!Oliver (aka Tommy on a different Earth). 

I'm here for Oliver to travel to another Earth to find Tommy sleeping in his bed, working in his office, eating dinner with his "mom" Moira, etc. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Really hoping one of the "hurdles" is getting EBR back:

If there’s one person who has made his peace with Oliver’s fate, it’s Amell. “Because he’s a superhero with no superpowers, I always felt he should die — but he may also not die,” says Amell, who actually found out what the show’s final scene would be at EW’s cover shoot. “I cried as [Marc Guggenheim] was telling me. There are a lot of hurdles to get over to make that final scene.” Get this man some more Guinness!

Edited by Trisha
  • Love 4

I think I'll be pretty pissed if, after missing out on his family for 20 years, after all the sacrifices this dude has made, after once again saving the entire freaking universe (and apparently other Earths as well), he just...dies. Unacceptable. I'm gonna need some semblance of HEA with him. 

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, Soulfire said:

I think that after all these years, Stephen and Oliver have earned to stand solo on the cover and be the focus of the article too.

Totally. I'm seeing some fans on Twitter acting like the TBT purposely waited until EBR was off the show to do it because they didn't want to do any photo shoots when she was around, and that's just not how this works. If a major magazine wanted to give an aging show this kind of publicity, they would have bent over backwards to make it happen. But there's no way Arrow would have warranted an EW cover story over the last few seasons. The only reason they got one now is because it's the show that started a huge TV trend and it's ending. Even if EBR was still on the show this season, I bet the cover would still only feature SA (just like the accompanying covers only feature the other leads). 

5 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

I think I'll be pretty pissed if, after missing out on his family for 20 years, after all the sacrifices this dude has made, after once again saving the entire freaking universe (and apparently other Earths as well), he just...dies. Unacceptable. I'm gonna need some semblance of HEA with him. 

I was comforted by the fact that SA hadn't voiced his opinion about wanting the show to end with Oliver dying for a few years -- but him bringing that back when he knows what's going to happen is troubling. Maybe the "he may also not die" points towards Oliver reuniting with Felicity in some weird alt-dimension/afterlife that the Monitor takes them to? 

• Love 2
(edited)

How Arrow saved the TV superhero — and why it had to end
Chancellor Agard    July 17, 2019
https://ew.com/comic-con/2019/07/17/arrow-final-season-cover-story/

But there’s one integral cast member who won’t be around to see Arrow through its final season. This spring, fans were devastated to learn Rickards had filmed her final episode—bringing an end to Olicity. “They’re such opposites. I think that’s what draws everyone in a little bit,” showrunner Beth Schwartz says of Oliver and Felicity’s relationship. “You don’t see the [love story of] super intelligent woman and the sort of hunky, athletic man very often. She’s obviously a gorgeous woman but what he really loves is her brain.” For his part, Amell believes the success of both Felicity and Olicity lies completely with Rickards’ performance. “She’s supremely talented and awesome and carved out a space that no one anticipated. I don’t know that show works if we don’t randomly find her,” says Amell, adding that continuing the series without Team Arrow’s heart is “not great. Arrow, as you know it, has effectively ended. It’s a different show in season 8.” And he’s not exaggerating.

The final season finds Oliver working for the all-seeing extra-terrestrial the Monitor (LaMonica Garrett) and trying to save the entire multiverse from a cataclysmic event. “[We’re] taking the show on the road, really getting away from Star City. Oliver is going to be traveling the world, and we’re going to go to a lot of different places,” says Guggenheim. “Every time I see Oliver and the Monitor, it’s like, ‘Okay, we are very far from where we started.’ But again, that means the show has grown and evolved.” Adds Schwartz, “This is sort of his final test because it’s greater than Star City.” Along the way, he will head down memory lane, with actor Colin Donnell, who played Oliver’s best friend Tommy Merlyn in season 1, and Segarra’s Adrian Chase making appearances. “Episode 1 is an ode to season 1, and episode 2 is an ode to season 3,” teases Amell. “We’re playing our greatest hits.”

But season 8 is not just about building toward a satisfying series finale. “Everything relates to what’s going to happen in our crossover episode, which we’ve never done before,” says Schwartz. Spanning five hours and airing this winter, “Crisis on Infinite Earths” will be the biggest crossover yet and may see Oliver perish trying to save the multiverse from destruction, if the Monitor’s prophecy is to be believed. “Oliver [is told] he’s going to die, so each episode in the run-up to ‘Crisis’ has Oliver dealing with the various stages of grief that come with that discovery,” says Guggenheim. “So the theme really is coming to terms, acceptance.”

If there’s one person who has made his peace with Oliver’s fate, it’s Amell. “Because he’s a superhero with no superpowers, I always felt he should die — but he may also not die,” says Amell, who actually found out what the show’s final scene would be at EW’s cover shoot. “I cried as [Marc Guggenheim] was telling me. There are a lot of hurdles to get over to make that final scene.” Get this man some more Guinness!

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Arrowverse Reunion With Ruby Rose, Grant Gustin & More | Cover Shoot | Entertainment Weekly
Published on Jul 17, 2019, by Entertainment Weekly

-- SA: "I've always thought that Oliver should, uh - Specifically because he is a superhero with no superpowers. I've always felt like he should die. That being said, it was very emotional doing those scenes. But he also might not die. So...."

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, lemotomato said:

But we already know Oliver isn’t really dead because in 722, Felicity goes somewhere to meet him 20 years in the future.

They could end up in that the "pocket paradise dimension" thing from the Crisis comics that people were speculating about. So not technically dead -- but not returning home either.

• Love 1

The more I learn about S8, the less I want to see it.  I thought I had some distance after they wrapped Felicity's story up in S7, but I feel robbed that they're going to explore (an ode to) previous seasons without her.  I'm not sure I can watch this.  I really want to see the 2040 bunch, but I think the Oliver portions are going to be too much for me.

• Love 10

Yeah, I have to admit everything I hear about the season makes me less and less interested in watching. I still will, but I just don’t really care about any of the characters other than Oliver, Mia, and William anymore. Yes, I’ll be happy to see Tommy and Chase again, but like I’ve said before, I’m still bitter neither ever had scenes with Felicity and they’re returning at a time when they still can’t. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Ernie Hudson Expects To Return to Arrow In Final Season
By RUSS BURLINGAME - July 18, 2019 
https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/07/18/ernie-hudson-expects-to-return-to-arrow-in-final-season/ 

Ghostbusters star Ernie Hudson expects to return to Arrow in the show's upcoming eighth and final season. ...

While it seems no deal is in place yet, and he has not seen a script, Hudson thinks he will be coming back to pick up on some of the threads from his previous time out.

"They called me already," Hudson told ComicBook.com during a conversation at Salt City Comic Con in Syracuse, NY earlier this month. "They have a shortened [season], so I'll probably do a couple of those. I don't know if they're setting up for the next stage of Diggle's character or what."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Mmmm I've seen MG's idea of celebrating the show, so I'm not too on board yet. I'll watch for the curiosity factor, and I hope we have more live thread snark, but my heart isn't feeling any of this. And I sat through Poppy!

• Love 9

The thing is technically this Laurel just got a new suit. Now, do I think she should be wearing her dead doppelgänger’s suit? No. But still. And isn’t she wearing it in the future? (I didn’t pay close enough attention to that in the FFs.)

• Love 1

I dunno, wearing her dead doppleganger's suit may inspire her to stay  hero.

Question: has anyone other than Oliver got a suit change during the series?  Oliver's had one just about every year but he's the hero and he's the one who wears a suit the most. If Black Siren only wears on in 5 or so episodes, is there a point to giving her a new one? And would they give her one that was part green?

(edited)

I know that SA has voiced his desire to have Oliver die (but has gone kind of back and fourthon that) but I dont want the show to end that way. Even if he passes his legacy on to his kids and they can make the Queen name heroic in a way that it wasn't before the Queens Gambit went down, him only getting a few months to be with his wife and daughter, and a few months with hiss wife and son before that, and just getting sucked into a pocket dimension and dying, is just so depressing. After all of this, he deserves better. As a matter of fact, so does Felicity. Even if the two of them get some kind of life together in Monitor Land, they will lose their children, and thats just, as I said, depressing. I mean, for fucks sake, its a superhero show, not The Wire!!! Give us some happiness!

Its hard to speculate on the show because, as the higher ups say, it all depends on what happens in Crisis. And that all depends on what Crisis actually exists to DO for this universe. Like I've said before, Crisis on Infinite Earths in the comics existed both because it was the authors passion project, and because the DC higher ups thought the multiverse was getting too confusing and made it too hard for new readers to get into, and wanted to put everything into one universe, get rid of a lot of characters, and basically clean up and make things less complicated for new readers. If course eventually the multiverse came back, as did many of the characters that died and were wiped from existence, but what does that mean for the Arrowverse? Do they plan on killing off a bunch of characters and wiping them from everyone's memories like in Crisis, or even wrap some of the shows that take place not on Earth 1 (mainly Supergirl I guess) and put them all into one world? Like with the comics, do the huggers up think things are too complicated for new viewers? Do they want to get rid of some less popular things, or try some new things, and this is an easy way to change things up without too much continuity snarl?Are they looking to just shake up the status quo? Move on after their flagship show ends? Are they prepared to make the major changes that happened in OG Crisis? Or will this be like Flashpoint with just a few minor changes and baby switches? I still suspect that the bad Arrow future might be wiped out by Crisis, and Olicity might get their happy ending because of it. 

Or maybe thats my wishful thinking.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I dunno, wearing her dead doppleganger's suit may inspire her to stay  hero.

Question: has anyone other than Oliver got a suit change during the series?  Oliver's had one just about every year but he's the hero and he's the one who wears a suit the most. If Black Siren only wears on in 5 or so episodes, is there a point to giving her a new one? And would they give her one that was part green?

Rene got a new one in s6 and Diggle/Dinah has had modifications. They all should've changed a little throughout the series.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Chaser said:

I've accepted that while I'm not watching, I can't quite quit the show. Or more specifically the board. I guess I'm going to be here for snark. 

LOL. Same. I still care about what happens on the show, at least as it concerns Oliver, Diggle, and their kids. I just don't care enough to actually watch it (until Felicity shows up, which I expect her to). But I could never quit the board, no matter what. I'd miss you guys way more than the show.

• Love 6

So SA and DR are shooting together? (They were spotted in S1-looking suit and ties yesterday). I don’t know why but I assumed most of SA’s stuff would be off world with the Monitor. Unless DR is playing a Not!Diggle? My head hurts.

(edited)

MG basically implies that the crossover episode will be 808, leaving the two final episodes of Arrow to deal with the fallout...

Marc Guggenheim - San Diego Comic-Con 2019 Interview
Published on Jul 19, 2019, by Comicbook.com

-- On which Arrowverse show will feel the fallout of COIE the most, MG: "That's a great question. Um, that's a really terrific question. Um, I'm tempted to say actually Arrow. Um, and I may be a little bit biased in giving that answer. But, I would say, if we're able to do what we have planned, um, it's some pretty big consequences, um, that come out of Crisis for Arrow... I know, it's like we're 'big things' right before we end the show. But, uh, you know, it was interesting, you know, because of the nature of Crisis and the nature of a 10-episode order for Arrow, the two projects really became linked, uh, to the extent where the build-up to Crisis really takes place in Arrow, and then Crisis has to impact the final two episodes of Arrow. Um, so it's all connected. Um, you know, and I think it's going to be connected in a way that's satisfying to people. That's the trick."

-- On how they can create an ending to Arrow that will satisfy long-term fans (mentioning the controversial endings of Game of Thrones and Lost), MG: "The good news is, unlike Game of Thrones or unlike Lost, we're not - uh, we're not burdened with having to answer a question. You know, we're not burdened with 'who's going to sit on the Iron Throne?' or, you know, 'what was the island?' .Um, so we get to do, I think, a much more sort of character-based ending. Um, so - at the same time, the complication for us is that we also have Crisis and I think a lot of the stuff that was always in my head in terms of on how to end the show, um, we're now actually going to end up doing in the crossover instead. So it's like, well, now what does the series finale become? Um, but, you know, I - you know, we've got planned and I'm really excited about it. And the goal is, you know, to make it satisfying for the fans, but, um, the good news for us is, we don't have the challenges that Lost or Game of Thrones had... We also don't have their ratings, so, um, you know, there's that too... It's hard... It's a hard thing to do it in a way that satisfies - you know, satisfies everyone... Because obviously I have been thinking, like, how does one end the series, um, I think there's what the initial reaction to something is and then there's how it stands the test of time. Um, and, you know, those two things are not always the same."

-- On whether there's a chance that we'll see any Arrow characters again after the end of Arrow, MG: "That's a terrific question and there's always a chance, um, especially since this is a known - it's now become this huge universe. Um, we have all these different places we can go and different ways to tell story. Um, you know, and the thing I always - and I've been saying this for a few years now, because it's been a universe for a few years now - whenever an actor leaves the show, I always say, it's not goodbyes, I'll see you later, because we have all these different avenues available to us, between time travel and parallel universes and - and, you know, animated and - you name it, we've got all these different avenues, which is a nice thing to be able to explore."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, tv echo said:

MG basically implies that the crossover episode will be 808, leaving the two final episodes of Arrow to deal with the fallout...

This makes me really happy. Gives them time to send off the show without it all being wrapped up in Arrowverse stuff (and possibly fix/reverse what happens to Oliver in the crossover).

• Love 2
(edited)

From the ET interview, Leanne asked if EBR would be back and SA bluntly said “No.” After an awkward pause he said “Not that I know of. What do you want me to say? It’s a yes or no question.” (Interestingly both KC and JH said “I hope so” but he talked over them. He also said that he texted EBR last week to say how he missed her and the show feels different. He’s seeing her play next weekend.

Other stuff: KC is directing 803, SA has read the first three scripts and called the eps “self contained”, KC was the one to give Oliver the Ollie nickname, and SA said he’d be playing more than one character in xover and they are all named Oliver. 

https://www.etonline.com/live/20190720181225-sdcc-2019-the-cast-of-arrow

Edited by Trisha
Added the link