Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread: The Final Countdown

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

Arrow star LaMonica Garrett teases "beautiful" series finale
BY JESS LEE    November 3, 2019
https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a29655432/arrow-series-lamonica-garrett-beautiful-finale/ 

Arrow is preparing to air its final episode in early 2020, but how will the show end?

Digital Spy spoke to LaMonica Garrett, who plays the Monitor, and although the star didn't reveal any specifics (as you would expect), he did describe the series finale of the popular superhero show as "beautiful" and is hopeful that fans will be very happy with the ending.

"One word that came to mind to describe how it ends is 'beautiful'," Garrett said. "It's a beautiful ending.
"A lot of shows have their ending and it doesn't live up to what the fans thought it should be. I remember when Seinfeld ended, people were like, 'Oh, that was a terrible ending', even though I happen to like it. Game of Thrones, people have their opinions on the way it went out.

"I think Arrow's ending is beautiful. That's my opinion. Everyone might have their own opinion, but I think it's a really good ending. And Arrow is the first show that started everything, so it's significant.

"Oliver Queen started this world. I don't think they had any idea how big it would get, and it kept ballooning. And this season, it's building even more – Superman and Lois have a show that's in development. I read Martian Manhunter might have a potential spin-off. It's just growing and growing, and it all started because of Arrow."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

I've been catching up on twitter since they revealed Emily would be back (still reeling from those emotions) and it feels like so much has happened. I'm laughing at the fact that SA was the one who wanted to announce it instead of risking that info be leaked by the paps. If SA starts filming tomorrow, this will be an interesting week. 

17 hours ago, Chaser said:

“Livin’ in the Future” I’m taking that as confirmation the spin off takes place in the future. 

Ha, knew it. One youtuber started a rumor on his twitter account that it was set in both the present with the duo and the future with Mia and FTA. I could be wrong but I don't remember anyone in an official position ever hinting at that. 

• Love 2

I think it seems most likely to be in the future from that, although probably a changed future. Especially if all or some of FTA are going to be in it full or recurring, even if they're in the present atm. I hope they're in 2040 and the team are all there (including Sara Diggle please) and it's not just to send Mia off on the next adventure ala LOT cameos. It does seem like they mashed together Team 2040 and the Canaries show mashed together, though if it's mostly in 2040 I'm not sure why KM was allegedly miffed, though I can see KC being so. Though shoving two canaries into the title does change the dynamic. I image the canary duo being catapulted forward or some weird merge. 

As for the beautiful ending for Arrow, that can mean a lot of things (HIMYM could be considered a beautiful ending by some for example) but I'm choosing to be positive and sunshiny about it. 

I think SA was probably excited by the reaction he knew was coming (and excited she was back in general) and it's good to announce it themselves for maximum impact rather than dribs and drabs of gossip. I'm very glad they did because I wasn't looking forward to a week of hoping for rumours and sightings or hoping they were keeping everything deliberately secret if we didn't hear anything. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Featherhat said:

I'm not sure why KM was allegedly miffed, though I can see KC being so. Though shoving two canaries into the title does change the dynamic. I image the canary duo being catapulted forward or some weird merge. 

I think when she gave the interview where she says she hasn't been part of the conversation, she didn't get the script for 809 yet and she didn't seem to know what was going on story-wise either. Naturally, she's wary because adding them might mean pushing FTA aside. She knows firsthand how much the fandom loves olicity and OTA + she's watched the entire show so she knows the writers didn't go easy on the parallels. She believed in the show she was originally pitched. 

Also... as 1 of the 3 people on the entire planet who liked the HIMYM finale, I can tell you it's because I wasn't as invested in the characters/relationships which puts me in the worst position against someone who got the full experience. But I still believe the worst case scenario for us will be the paradise dimension. That billy joel song choice is reassuring. Forever grateful we escaped the overdrawn love triangle trope like TVD, true blood, HIMYM etc...

50 minutes ago, RS3 said:

Also... as 1 of the 3 people on the entire planet who liked the HIMYM finale, I can tell you it's because I wasn't as invested in the characters/relationships which puts me in the worst position against someone who got the full experience. But I still believe the worst case scenario for us will be the paradise dimension. That billy joel song choice is reassuring. Forever grateful we escaped the overdrawn love triangle trope like TVD, true blood, HIMYM etc...

So glad that they never went with another love triangle once they'd settled on Olicity, even though both had stalls in S5. Oliver already had a very gross one between two sisters and then between the girl he cheated on with her sister and his best friend. Yeah. Season one was not a soap opera at all, obviously. I don't think I could have watched a Felicity/Oliver/Laurel triangle. Although I remember quotes from KC thinking she was in one. 

I would have liked the HIMYM finale if it had been maybe 5 years earlier but it made no sense with where the story was then. Just using it as an example of a widely hated finale that the writers thought was a perfect ending. But to get back to Arrow, I made my peace with Paradise Dimension, which means a 20 year separation and grimdark future but was comforting when we didn't know if EBR was ever coming back or not. And makes sense with an option C still. 

Now I have my hopes up for more (one last rip off of TDK trilogy maybe? Not waiting 20 years?) or God forbid actually openly retiring after being resurrected somehow. Though that's a long shot for me. Still trying to work out if the "Oliver becomes the Monitor" supposed spoiler thing makes any sense (I mean it won't make all the sense considering 7x22 evidently) and if Oliver technically "dies" because of that but manages to ditch it or something. Or goes on a cosmic road trip with Felicity. 

They are most definitely going to have the Endgame funeral though and some sort of sacrifice moment for the "For Oliver" calls that were filmed. 

50 minutes ago, RS3 said:

I think when she gave the interview where she says she hasn't been part of the conversation, she didn't get the script for 809 yet and she didn't seem to know what was going on story-wise either. Naturally, she's wary because adding them might mean pushing FTA aside. She knows firsthand how much the fandom loves olicity and OTA + she's watched the entire show so she knows the writers didn't go easy on the parallels. She believed in the show she was originally pitched. 

All true. It's just the Van paps have been responding to the SM tagging gossip saying there was some drama over the direction of the show from all sides. Kat certainly seems very aware of her Olicity baby status and of course FTA's mini me version of OTA. I do want them to keep all of FTA in the picture, they work really well together even though the storyline has not been great. Plus it would be sad for William and Mia to be separated again. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, way2interested said:

What? Felicity is going to be referenced and they'll have a reason why she can't be there? They haven't done that in s8 at all yet!

This is the first time he’ll be in the same city as her and something incredibly major involving their kids is happening. I think they’re going to need to do more then the small references/mentions they’ve done so far this season. 

37 minutes ago, Trisha said:

This is the first time he’ll be in the same city as her and something incredibly major involving their kids is happening. I think they’re going to need to do more then the small references/mentions they’ve done so far this season. 

Sorry, I just meant in reference to the fact that the writers clearly went out of their way to try to include Felicity/references to Felicity as best as they could and waaaaay more than some fans negatively expected. Yes, they are all crumbs, but it's the best they can do with the limitations they have both in narrative (801-803 took place far away from Star City, Felicity can't very much give their secret baby to someone to take care of in the meantime, it's the same as the "why doesn't Team Arrow just call Barry about their problems" plot hole, etc.) and the fact that they couldn't just drop EBR in the episode, and it contradicts what many fans assumed what would happen until proven wrong ("oh, they are just going to have Oliver make jokes and not reference his family" 801 gives tons of references and even makes Felicity the one to send Diggle, "Well, 801 is one thing, but they'll probably scale back to little or nothing" 802's big speech involves Oliver including that he misses Felicity and even SA adds a scene of him putting his ring back on, "I wish Oliver could mention his family to Thea, his family is important and she deserves to know" bam, in the first scene after the cold opening it's Oliver showing the photo to Thea and telling her about Mia, MG saying they do reference where Felicity is in the crossover to explain her absence, etc.).

It was mostly just joking snark, but since day one I've always been on the wait and see path, and so far the show has delivered on specific references and crumbs that I think fans could recognize that they didn't expect would be given due to negative expectations with EBR being gone. The fact that even MG felt the need to comment on it I think means that they will address it (which, a bunch of fans online didn't even think they would do at all for some reason, idk).

Idk what it'll be, but tbh I always expected it to be addressed because they have made sure to show the audience that they have not forgotten about Felicity and Oliver's family present day. Maybe it will be that Oliver calls Felicity about it offscreen as he brings Mia and William back to their s7 apartment (since it looks like they go there from the promo and would explain why they still have the set up for this season), or maybe it will be a lame "well, we can't tell Felicity about it because time blah blah blah secrets blah blah blah," or something in between. idk, but I always expected something.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Featherhat said:

I do want them to keep all of FTA in the picture, they work really well together even though the storyline has not been great. Plus it would be sad for William and Mia to be separated again. 

I always get mad watching the last olicity scene of 7x15 because they dream about always being there for their kids and their kids always having each other... and the next scene is a reminder that none of it happened. The writers are trying to make some of it up by having Oliver spend time with his grown up kids like Felicity did last season but I don't think they're ever going to separate those two again, just like MG said he'd never kill Thea because she was the only family he had left. It would be the last straw. And if there's a reset, it would have to be for the better, right? 

Edited by RS3

The Monitor is in one of the promo pics for this week's episode (804), so most likely he tells Oliver that he's not allowed to contact Felicity and that FTA cannot come into contact with their younger selves...
arrow-season-8-photos-6-2.jpg?w=1024

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I'm always here for more Paul Blackthorne though I feel like "multiple episodes" will probably include COIE and the Arrow finale. Wouldn't mind if COIE undid his death so we could start getting some more Laurel/Quentin.

Nah the death should stick. Honestly there has been more than enough Lance family resurrection. What i am getting is some more tormenting of Oliver during the Purgatory episode.

• Love 1

According to The CW Press contacts page, Suzanne Gomez, who's SVP, Publicity, at The CW and who's responsible for promoting Arrow (among other shows), is apparently on maternity leave. Someone named Lyndsey Miller is covering for her on Arrow.

I was checking Gomez's twitter for any tweets about EBR's return (there were none). I could not find a twitter account for Miller.

Claire Gendel, who's the WBTV publicist, did retweet TVLine's article about EBR's return.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
22 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Nah the death should stick. Honestly there has been more than enough Lance family resurrection. What i am getting is some more tormenting of Oliver during the Purgatory episode.

Purgatory does seems like a valid place for him to pop up. Forgot they'd be doing that.

I'm glad Quentin is back for a couple of episodes I miss him., All the other parents were and he put in the most with the team, even if his story mostly revolved around coping with his daughters dying and coming back to life. I don't really need him to get full time resurrected, though I suppose it's possible with everything. 

I feel like no one should expect the showrunner to confirm a happy ending for their couple with 7 episodes and a "death" still to go. What do you think they're going to say? Even though it's likely to be some form of a happy ending. Even if it's more bittersweet like the other angle of 7x22. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 1

I wonder if the cliffhanger is that the kids can't get back to their time because whatever's happened in the episode has changed the future to the point where it doesn't exist anymore? Or maybe they just end up in Russia.

Edited by apinknightmare
5 hours ago, tv echo said:

According to The CW Press contacts page, Suzanne Gomez, who's SVP, Publicity, at The CW and who's responsible for promoting Arrow (among other shows), is apparently on maternity leave. Someone named Lyndsey Miller is covering for her on Arrow.

I was checking Gomez's twitter for any tweets about EBR's return (there were none). I could not find a twitter account for Miller.

Claire Gendel, who's the WBTV publicist, did retweet TVLine's article about EBR's return.

LOL - I don't think we'd ever notice Gomez was on mat leave

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

There’s a really great scene between Mia and Laurel, as Laurel gives advice to Mia that she has previously given to Felicity.

Cool. Just the scene I wanted in an episode where the daughter Oliver left as an infant shows up. Between her and freaking Laurel, LOL. 

• LOL 3
5 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

Spin off set up, though that might not have been planned at the time of filming this. I guess if it's heavily father/son they need to have Mia with a female "aunt" character in Felicity's absence. 

I hope this is all the spin-off setting up we're doing. Like, I'm glad William is getting some time in with Oliver, but William's already had that. William and Oliver clearing up their issues better make some room for some father/daughter time next ep. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I hope this is all the spin-off setting up we're doing. Like, I'm glad William is getting some time in with Oliver, but William's already had that. William and Oliver clearing up their issues better make some room for some father/daughter time next ep. 

Me too. Assuming we have the trio in the present until at least 806 and possibly until COIE depending on what the cliffhangers are etc I think Oliver and Mia will certainly have time for some big angsty, loving father/daughter time. We know they have scenes together in COIE and it's probable she's much, much more prominent there than William, if he's in it at all. This is the Fathers and Sons ep like last week was parallel Queen Siblings. I am glad BL and SA have some great scenes though. 

• Love 1

I can't think of anyone in the present who would have any business saying this. My best guess is...Laurel?

1 minute ago, Featherhat said:

I think Oliver and Mia will certainly have time for some big angsty, loving father/daughter time. We know they have scenes together in COIE and it's probable she's much, much more prominent there than William, if he's in it at all.

I know they have scenes in COIE, but I'm hoping they'll have some one-on-one time together before all that happens. 

Does William get advice from LL too? Does he get any say to the woman who aligned herself with a dude who wanted to kill him and was responsible for the death of his mom? (I fully acknowledge I was not a fan of kid William but adult William has won me over, and he deserves some emotional justice.)

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

Does William get advice from LL too? Does he get any say to the woman who aligned herself with a dude who wanted to kill him and was responsible for the death of his mom? (I fully acknowledge I was not a fan of kid William but adult William has won me over, and he deserves some emotional justice.)

I would be legitimately shocked if that’s ever brought up again considering she never apologized to anyone else on the team she tried to kill. But I hope William brings it up anyway. 

this makes me feel slightly better. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

this makes me feel slightly better. 

I laughed that something that was left as the CLIFFHANGER for the previous episode, or at least part of it, has to only be referenced when directly asked instead of commented immediately as a "tease." Idk if that says something about this person, the episode, or both, but it made me laugh.

Edited by way2interested

The writers have completely forgotten about all the other people BS murdered on E1 that weren’t named “Vince”, and the 3 villains she willingly worked for, so I’m sure it’ll be all warm and fuzzy scenes for her and the kids and everyone will just take her on to the team with no suspicion or hesitation at all. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

Ooh look writers being stupid and NOT giving us a great Oliver/Mia scene so they can give us a fucking Laurel/Mia scene instead 😡😡😡😡 yes cause that's what we want a scene with Mia and Laurel and not a great scene with Mia and the Father shes never gotten to know yet! 😡😡😡😡

• LOL 1

Well given that the series regulars are Diggle, Dinah, Rene, the future kids and BS I can see him not needing too much time to wrap things with most of them. And the kids might well be back in the future, leading to some sort of quick check in if anything. Felicity is back and possibly Thea so I could see more scenes with them, that's if they're both more than cameos and then further important guest stars.

We also don't know what state or state of being Oliver is in or where he is post Crisis. Also possible SA is filming all his last scenes in a few days block and he's packed in a lot into one day. 

8 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

Ooh look writers being stupid and NOT giving us a great Oliver/Mia scene so they can give us a fucking Laurel/Mia scene instead 😡😡😡😡 yes cause that's what we want a scene with Mia and Laurel and not a great scene with Mia and the Father shes never gotten to know yet! 😡😡😡😡

I know it's frustrating but since I don't think they're going back to the future right away there is plenty of time for that. Even hopefully in this episode, and one persons "great scene" can be another persons "that was it? No big deal." that's also happened many times on scenes I was looking forward to. I do believe there will be Oliver/Mia scenes coming, and we know she officially become GA so there's going to be passing the mantle emotional stuff. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

I know it's frustrating but since I don't think they're going back to the future right away there is plenty of time for that. Even hopefully in this episode, and one persons "great scene" can be another persons "that was it? No big deal." that's also happened many times on scenes I was looking forward to. I do believe there will be Oliver/Mia scenes coming, and we know she officially become GA so there's going to be passing the mantle emotional stuff. 

Either way, just because she has a scene with Laurel doesnt mean that she doesnt get a scene with Oliver in the same episode. It isn't either/or. 

Didnt they just start filming the finale and didnt SA just return from vaca? Wrapping with everyone that quick? sheesh. Though I'm not surprised.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Primal Slayer said:

Either way, just because she has a scene with Laurel doesnt mean that she doesnt get a scene with Oliver in the same episode. It isn't either/or. 

Didnt they just start filming the finale and didnt SA just return from vaca? Wrapping with everyone that quick? sheesh. Though I'm not surprised.

well its  basically just the regulars meaning team arrow. The majority of his scenes are probably going to be with Felicity, his kids, Roy, Thea. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Yeah that's what I meant. And different reviewers choose to highlight different things they enjoyed. 

I can see him wrapping scenes with Team Arrow fairly quickly as it's not likely he's in present Star City for long (or at all?). Whatever happens isn't "Oliver's alive lets have him go out with "and the team continues on saving the city..."