Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread: The Final Countdown

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

30 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Maybe Zoe comes back after Crisis? Timey wimey for the spin off?

My knee-jerk thought was some flashback stuff for the canary network to give Dinah and Laurel something to do, but maybe? 

At least that's AS and JDJ both returning to Vancouver for 809 so far it seems.

8 hours ago, statsgirl said:

"GA and the Canaries" makes me think of Diana Ross and the Supremes. 

In this case it is only if the name would have been Mia smoak and the canaries but 'is green arrow and the canaries. I have the impression that as mia will become green arrow he can also have a new character who follows this path and becomes green arroW. Mia will not necessarily be the only green arrow in this spin off

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, MISS1 said:

In this case it is only if the name would have been Mia smoak and the canaries but 'is green arrow and the canaries. I have the impression that as mia will become green arrow he can also have a new character who follows this path and becomes green arroW. Mia will not necessarily be the only green arrow in this spin off

You might get someone posing as the Green Arrow but they will have Mia as the Green Arrow. The title wont be Green Arrows and Canaries. The reason why its more possible that Dinah and Laurel are not the only Canaries because we have been introduced to the Canary network and we know they will be lots of them going around in the future. And it seems its the 2040 timeline because you girl Katie posted part of the script and describes futuristic build of most likely what is the bunker. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

They could not have cast a more perfect combination of people to get fandom to talk about this show. That combo kills any bit of interest I would've had in it, but all the fighting back and forth is fun, and probably more buzz than this show would've gotten otherwise, so...good work I guess? 

I'm still surprised that "Kat's show" thing sparked so much back and forward though. I guess it's a new version of Olicity vs Laurel but I can't believe it generated so much controversy that WH's mother felt the need to get in on the act when her daughter's coming back for her farewell bow. They can change out all the characters in it as long as no one is specifically named like they thought about doing with Emiko and didn't. However I guess people think of the canaries as more changeable than a GA. And that is probably just the working title anyway. 

Episode 7 is "Purgatory" so as well as featuring Lian Yu, lots of angst I would guess. I think Roy is also supposed to be in it. 

Glad Oliver and Tatsu have a talk, I do like her and she would be able to completely understand what Oliver's going through. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Featherhat said:

Glad Oliver and Tatsu have a talk, I do like her and she would be able to completely understand what Oliver's going through. 

Inviting Antonio back is a major plus, especially if the scene is as heartbreaking as MM claims it is. There are a few Arrow directors who take their time to let the scene breathe and he's one of them. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

Any clue about what’s supposed to happen in that episode?

From 807 spoilers so far (I'll post a more detailed summary in the Spoilers thread closer to its air date)...

• 807 title is "Purgatory."
  • Bamford is the director.
  • Byron Mann will return as Yao Fei in this episode.
  • Byron Mann tweeted that we'll see Oliver and Yao Fei fighting together side by side.
  • Colton Haynes was spotted during filming of this episode, perhaps in connection with pics of plane crash and crash site.
  • A fan reported from SDCC 2019 that "SA revealed on Carina’s IG story before the panel that Malcolm Merlyn is in episode 7." 
  • Per SA, 807 "has got the most major character [appearing], and I was like, 'Oh, come on. No way.'"
  • SA: "He might face a test, apparently in episode 7, which is our last episode before the crossover.... This final season is more about resolve. ... I don't know what the test is per se. I think the biggest thing is, is just him believing Felicity when she says, ‘Whatever happens, whatever happens to you, I’ll find you.’ That’s his guiding light."
  • Per SA, by the time we get to 807, Oliver's got a "pretty big team with a lot of very familiar faces and a lot of really cool team-ups."
  • KC is in this episode.
  • Explosions, plane crash, and gunfire on the island.
  • Some flashforward stuff with Mia, William and Connor. AS also posted pic of herself with KM and their stunt doubles during filming of this episode.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, MISS1 said:

The name is Green Arrow (one person) and the Canaries (multiple people). Another character can become Green Arrow, but the title implies that there is only one at a time. There's still something special about the Green Arrow mantle; the show has removed any kind of distinctiveness from the Canary mantle. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 8

FWIW, Pagey is claiming that 809 starts shooting today...

In this video, Pagey again expressed his dislike for Mia becoming the Green Arrow in the spinoff and then admitted that he is a Laurel fan. He also said that 809 is the backdoor pilot and that SA will not be in this episode (which we already knew). As for the death teased by the 804 synopsis, he didn't know who was going to die, but speculated that maybe JJ kills Connor or it's William who dies. Pagey also mentioned IMDb revealing the return of Jamie Andrew Cutler as Grant Wilson in 804 (I had previously posted this upthread)...

Edited by tv echo
  • LOL 1

I remember a time where Pagey used to think Mia was a badass. It was a time where he believed she was theroy's daughter. Also, weren't both Ben and Joseph were on set during 807? Pagey's streak continues...

Yup, people wanting attention or cred by fabricating stuff about COIE and Arrow final season, , thats why Im personally choosing not to believe any of these social media scoopers and oracles.

At least, I will take everything they say with a grain of salt, until its official or they show some good receipts. 

Edited by CabotCove

Katie posted an Insta story of her cat. He's sitting on a script page - IDK which episode it's for but I guess it's 9. 

You can make out "will establish new and im(proved?)" and "futuristic buil(dings?)" 

zW9NPw3.png

Hopefully that's a new and improved Star City - all I care about during filming of this pilot are any clues that the timeline might be changed. 🤞

-- KM: "Good morning. So today's pretty special. Uh, it is the first day of shooting on the backdoor pilot, as it were, of Green Arrow and the Canaries. And it's really exciting. I really don't know what's in store, but whatever it is, it's going to be pretty badass. So I cannot wait to share it with all of you. And... there we go."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, CabotCove said:

Yup, people wanting attention or cred by fabricating stuff about COIE and Arrow final season, , thats why Im personally choosing not to believe any of these social media scoopers and oracles.

At least, I will take everything they say with a grain of salt, until its official or they show some good receipts. 

As someone who's been in this fandom since season 3, these two paps delivered scoop they didn't like plenty of times. I don't remember them being wrong. They don't like Mia, especially not CanadaG because he hates everything related to olicity. So even if they were to lie, it doesn't make sense because it's not a lie disguised as wishful thinking. As one example among many, they got word of the olicity centric episode in season 5 where they basically get back together. CanadaG threw a sad twitter tantrum but he didn't keep the information to himself to spite a fandom he hates. He didn't even use his blog to get the information out. The Ken pap doesn't even have a monetized blog like canadaG so there's nothing to gain. Somehow they get access to call sheets, script pages, pilot pick-ups and such because they've been to sets. They announced this spinoff before tvline put it in their site as speculation and a few days later, it was official. If Kat plays the one green arrow in a pool of canaries + future team arrow, it was already safe to assume she's the lead.  But if she's numero uno on the callsheet, "she's 100% the lead". 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

SA: "He might face a test, apparently in episode 7, which is our last episode before the crossover.... This final season is more about resolve. ... I don't know what the test is per se. I think the biggest thing is, is just him believing Felicity when she says, ‘Whatever happens, whatever happens to you, I’ll find you.’ That’s his guiding light."

Makes sense to go back to Purgatory then. I can see him giving up but remembering what Felicity said....and ok probably Diggle, Roy and the rest of the team too. Always nice to see BM again, I can never get over how different he looks without the Yao Fei get up. 

I really do wonder if they're going to keep together/reunite Thea and Roy considering the FFs left it vague but completely dead sounding and it's pre COIE with them unless they are in 9 or 10. 

42 minutes ago, RS3 said:

As someone who's been in this fandom since season 3, these two paps delivered scoop they didn't like plenty of times. I don't remember them being wrong. They don't like Mia, especially not CanadaG because he hates everything related to olicity. So even if they were to lie, it doesn't make sense because it's not a lie disguised as wishful thinking. As one example among many, they got word of the olicity centric episode in season 5 where they basically get back together. CanadaG threw a sad twitter tantrum but he didn't keep the information to himself to spite a fandom he hates. He didn't even use his blog to get the information out. 

CanadaGraphs especially threw a massive fit when he heard rumours about the double wedding before they shot it, went into melt down but confirmed it and turned up to get footage of it. None of it stops them having some bad info passed to them but they aren't fans writing hopeful or bitter speculation like us. Nothing stops KC and JH having big storylines. So many characters got great when they went to LOT and that didn't require an eponymous show character. It means a writing team who cares about the characters and knows them, Time will tell on this spin off. 

Kat's tweet makes no mention of her co stars and she's not #canaries either. 😉 Love to know if the drama has already started. "Futuristic buildings" doesn't have to mean 2041 but it does make it seem more likely, or could be a merged world. 

I think they intend her to be the only Green Arrow in spin off, for the foreseeable future, but the show universe have shown the mantle can be passed and different people can be GA. The mantle Green Arrow, is its own character in a way, as is  Black Canary/The Canaries too. They are mantles and symbols bigger than any one person, at least they have become that after moving from their originators.   Just my take on things. 

Edited by CabotCove
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, CabotCove said:

I think they intend her to be the only Green Arrow in spin off, for the foreseeable future, but the show universe have shown the mantle can be passed and different people can be GA. The mantle Green Arrow, is its own character in a way, as is  Black Canary/The Canaries too. They are mantles and symbols bigger than any one person.   Just my take on things. 

Well that is actually false. While other people beside Oliver have at one point put on the Arrow suit it was never something permanent and the mantle was never butchered the way the Canaries were. And now we at the point there has to be 10.000 Canaries at once cuz after Sara they all sucked. And they cannot say this is the one and only Black Canary in this time. They always have to have several at once. And its what just adds at how bad this character has been developed. 

• Love 5

The Sit-Down: Katherine McNamara
CBS Local News   Oct. 21, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe4GgiKF1jc

-- KM mentioned that she's just coming out of "crossover season in the Arrowverse," adding that it's "fun" but "mental" (alluding to the crossover shooting schedule)

-- KM: "[Y]ou saw Original Team Arrow, but they all kind of fit together and they started off and were so heroic from the get-go. You really didn't get to see their growing pains. And that's what we get to see this season with, uh, with Future Team Arrow, as it all fits together with, you know, the story as it comes to a close."

-- KM: "I think Arrow this season is so special. The writers knew this was the final season, so they were really able to think about how they wanted to end this story that they've all given so much to. And - and every episode is kind of a love letter and a respect to an aspect of Arrow that's made it so - such a legacy. Um, so it's exciting for people who've watched the show from the beginning."

Edited by tv echo

I’m not sure I understand why the skepticism about Kat being the lead.  I’m not trying to be rude, and I’m sorry if it comes across that way, but I’m honestly just a little confused.  Even before the (working?) title was announced, the media reporting seemed to focus on her as the lead, and now that the title has been confirmed, and the paps are confirming it as well....I’m not sure why the doubt? 🤔

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I’m not sure I understand why the skepticism about Kat being the lead.  I’m not trying to be rude, and I’m sorry if it comes across that way, but I’m honestly just a little confused.  Even before the (working?) title was announced, the media reporting seemed to focus on her as the lead, and now that the title has been confirmed, and the paps are confirming it as well....I’m not sure why the doubt? 🤔

Because KC has been gassing up her fans with comments about carrying the show and referring to just the Canaries part of the spinoff. 

• Useful 2
36 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I think it's many KC fans hoping that this was finally her moment for lead of a show after what happened with Arrow and KC pushing hard for that. And the people who want a BOP show not "an Olicity kid fic show" and those who don't like anything to do with the FFs.

It's not wrong to be sceptical of unconfirmed pap reports before we've even seen the backdoor pilot, promos/marketing, let alone an episode of the actual show, but these two have a reason for being so insistent on it at the moment. There's been no real push back yet from others with info to say that's not true and it's a big ensemble show. That might change between now and when the currently called "GA and The Canaries" actually airs though. 

Edited by Featherhat

EBR deleted her Twitter account today, which I'm sure has no connection to whether or not she'll come back for the finale but some fans are freaking out. She never really used it anyway, and now that she's not a regular she's not contracted to promote the show on social. 

Hasn't she deleted parts of her social media before? It could mean something about Arrow and whether or not she's returning but it could also be one or more of 1000 other reasons. I could see her deciding she's had enough with fans and unfans tagging her in stuff or asking if she's coming back all the time when she's trying to move on but doesn't have to be that. Either way we should have a more concrete idea if she's back for the finale in the next few weeks. I'm voting no right now, but we'll see. 

Arrow star Stephen Amell previews 'really hard' return Hong Kong
By Chancellor Agard 

After sojourning in season 1-land in the season 8 premiere, Arrow is heading to another familiar location from its past.

In the final season’s second episode, Oliver (Stephen Amell), Diggle (David Ramsey), and Laurel (Katie Cassidy) find themselves in Hong Kong after narrowly avoiding the destruction of Earth-2. Alas, there’s very little time to process what they just witnessed because the Monitor (LaMonica Garrett) gives them another task that reunites Oliver with Tatsu Yamashiro, a.k.a. Katana, and proves to be more challenging than the first part of the mission — especially for star Stephen Amell, who has a pretty intense fight scene.

“Episode 2 is really hard,” Amell tells EW. “[There’s an] elevator fight. It was on a hot soundstage.” Time was another factor.  “This happens every year where there’s an episode built in the first three or four episodes that will be really heavy on night exteriors. [In Vancouver, Canada], the sun goes down at like 10 at night, and it starts to get light at 4 in the morning, and so it makes it very challenging.”

With “Welcome to Hong Kong,” Black Siren also officially joins Oliver and Diggle on Team Save the Multiverse (working title). Previously, Amell said that Oliver pulling Laurel into the breach was the most important moment in the last scene of the premiere because it signified how much things have changed between the two of them. Looking ahead, the show will dive even further into that dynamic.

“They’re beside one another. They’re working together with one another,” says Amell. “There’s multiple times when Oliver looks to her and says, ‘I didn’t expect to be on this mission with you, but I’m glad you’re here.’”

Having Laurel on along for the ride also gives Oliver a chance to put his belief that people — both himself and others — can change into practice. “If Oliver doesn’t believe in people’s capacity for change, then he’d be a super-big hypocrite because you look at the type of person he was in Russia, for sake of argument — which is also something we touch on this season — and the type of person he is now. If people just judged him on his actions back then, nobody would go near him. He’d be a pariah,” says Amell. “Laurel has proven herself and so Oliver is not going to sit in judgement of her.”

12 minutes ago, Trisha said:

With “Welcome to Hong Kong,” Black Siren also officially joins Oliver and Diggle on Team Save the Multiverse (working title). Previously, Amell said that Oliver pulling Laurel into the breach was the most important moment in the last scene of the premiere because it signified how much things have changed between the two of them. Looking ahead, the show will dive even further into that dynamic.

“They’re beside one another. They’re working together with one another,” says Amell. “There’s multiple times when Oliver looks to her and says, ‘I didn’t expect to be on this mission with you, but I’m glad you’re here.’”

I wonder what happens after this episode - wasn't Katie not in Van for a big chunk of episodes after she directed 8x03, or am I mixing that up with someone else?

Also - jeez, no matter what their relationship was at the time I certainly hope Oliver wouldn't have just left her there after seeing everyone slowly disintegrate. Wouldn't say much about the kind of person he's become over the years. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, tv echo said:

FWIW, Pagey is claiming that 809 starts shooting today...

In this video, Pagey again expressed his dislike for Mia becoming the Green Arrow in the spinoff and then admitted that he is a Laurel fan. He also said that 809 is the backdoor pilot and that SA will not be in this episode (which we already knew). As for the death teased by the 804 synopsis, he didn't know who was going to die, but speculated that maybe JJ kills Connor or it's William who dies. Pagey also mentioned IMDb revealing the return of Jamie Andrew Cutler as Grant Wilson in 804 (I had previously posted this upthread)...

RME at this douche. Laurel and Dinah could redeem it? LOL LOL that's hilarious especially about Dinah. And his Opinion about Mia isnt fact. Just like my Opinion about Dinah isnt fact yet I havent seen anyone in the fandom clamoring for Dinah in a Spinoff 

Edited by Josh371982
45 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I wonder what happens after this episode - wasn't Katie not in Van for a big chunk of episodes after she directed 8x03, or am I mixing that up with someone else?

Also - jeez, no matter what their relationship was at the time I certainly hope Oliver wouldn't have just left her there after seeing everyone slowly disintegrate. Wouldn't say much about the kind of person he's become over the years. 

Yeah, I feel like he’s probably overselling it? I just don’t get why it’s a big deal that he didn’t let her get wiped from existence? Especially since it’s not like she was clamoring to stay or anything. She wanted to leave with them. 

37 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

According to KP, he didn’t hear about her being on set 4-6. She did post something about finishing 6, but I think that was as they were going into 7 so maybe she only filmed a day for that episode. 

I think it’s about what Laurel symbolizes as the sole survivor of an entire planet. Puts things into perspective.

Also, he hadn’t been talking about Laurel at all previously. Now she’s in the talking points. My guess is it’s because of the spin off.

11 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Yeah, I feel like he’s probably overselling it? I just don’t get why it’s a big deal that he didn’t let her get wiped from existence? Especially since it’s not like she was clamoring to stay or anything. She wanted to leave with them. 

Yeah - I think this interview is from TCA's and he's stretching the quotes out for multiple articles. I think they'd only filmed 2 episodes at that point?

But yeah - he knew her and she was right there, him leaving her there would've said more than taking her with them.

LOL if this is the scene KC was getting all that praise for. Like we haven't seen LL irrationally lash out at Oliver and make everything about her a million times before?  That's practically 75% of screentime together.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2

I do like that they wrote Laurel's reasoning for wanting to go back as a selfish one (I just got MY life back and I'm not giving it up without a fight!) when Oliver's telling her that this is going to happen to every other Earth if they don't stop it. Rare character consistency there, Arrow writers. Bravo. 

• Love 3

The show spending 2 seasons and multiple episodes across 2 shows showing  (sometimes graphically) BS was a mass murdering psycho, but only telling us that she had loved ones and she gave a shit about people is so very typical of how Arrow has always written LL. 

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, Chaser said:

This would carry a lot more weight if Siren wasn’t a serial killing psycho terrorist like a year in a half ago. 

She had a relapse 6 months ago when she tried to murder Felicity, Dinah and Sarah (and helped her little criminal friend kill/rob some other people). It takes some balls to accuse someone of taking away your happiness after that, lmao. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Chaser said:

According to KP, he didn’t hear about her being on set 4-6. She did post something about finishing 6, but I think that was as they were going into 7 so maybe she only filmed a day for that episode. 

SHe's in ep 6, Katie mentionned about it, that she is real excited, i think it's only ep 3 where she is not

8 hours ago, lemotomato said:

LOL if this is the scene KC was getting all that praise for. Like we haven't seen LL irrationally lash out at Oliver and make everything about her a million times before?  That's practically 75% of screentime together.

It had to happen one last time to honor their loving & respectful relationship 😉 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

'Arrow's Joseph David-Jones Previews Connor & JJ's 'Big Heart-to-Heart'
Meredith Jacobs October 21, 2019
https://www.tvinsider.com/822692/arrow-season-8-episode-2-joseph-david-jones-connor-jj-crossover-spinoff/ 

Diggle's (David Ramsey) sons are going to have quite the talk in the second episode of Arrow's final season.

"It was probably my favorite scene to shoot, my favorite day of shooting," Joseph David-Jones told TV Insider. "[Charlie Barnett and I] spent a good deal of time developing that relationship so I can't wait for people to see it."

And as the actor previously said, the relationship between Connor (David-Jones) and JJ (Barnett) is quite complicated due to the different paths they took. "You're going to see a lot of conflict between JJ and Connor, but it's all going to be because for the longest time, we were each other's best friends."

Here, David-Jones previews what's coming up between Connor and JJ and what he can say about the upcoming crossover and potential spinoff.
From the premiere, I get the sense that JJ may have an easier time fighting and putting down his brother than Connor. Is that accurate?
Joseph David-Jones:
Things come up in the second episode. I definitely think JJ would put down Connor, if given the opportunity, and Connor would struggle with it. I don't think he could unless something crazy happened. It's his brother. You'll find out a lot of it weighs on Connor, where JJ ended up. I think you're spot on with that.

Any heart-to-hearts coming up for the brothers?
Oh, yeah. Honestly my favorite scene to shoot is in Episode 2, where there's a big heart-to-heart between the two of them and a lot of the backstory. A lot of what people know about it came through a backstory from Episode 19 of last season, but you didn't really get to see anything or any of JJ or their relationship, and me and Charlie worked on that a lot while he was up there.
I'm really, really proud of where we landed with everything. I'm just really excited for people to see Episode 2 because it is a complicated relationship. It is something that you finally get to see between the two of them as opposed to just hear about.

We also saw Mia and Connor clash when it comes to who's in charge. Will that continue, especially when it pertains to his brother?
Not necessarily who should take the lead on it but what should be done with it. It's hard to have that conversation about taking down someone. When Mia takes somebody down, they don't get back up. It's that conflict of, could you potentially kill your own brother? That's where a lot of it's going to come from, not necessarily who's the leader

Mia doesn't necessarily work well [with others], so she's just doing her own thing anyway. If there's continued conflict, it's going to be JJ-based, what do we with [him] and what's right. Is this a person we can save?

That's probably also because of how they were trained, right? And Connor's also part of Knightwatch. Are we going to get a better idea of that organization and Connor's role in it?
Oh, yeah. We talk about missions and covert ops and stuff within Knightwatch as well, so you're going to get a lot more history of Knightwatch throughout the season.
Yeah, we were raised completely different and it's hard to get her to understand the relationship me and my brother have, her just having met her brother. It's been about six months between seasons, so they've definitely gotten a lot closer. She's definitely finding that bond. I don't think she can truly understand the bond I have with my brother and why it's so difficult for me to see him as this person now.

What can you say about Connor's relationship with his parents and what we'll see there this season? Is it mostly going to be in conversation? Is there a chance we'll see Diggle and Lyla in the future?
Some crazy stuff is coming up with that. This whole season is going to dig deeper into Diggle's family and our relationships with each other, especially with what transpires with JJ and where JJ ends up. It's going to be a complicated relationship. It's not going to be just this immediate bond. It's going to be a tumultuous one. It's going to be one that's hard fought for and earned, but it's going to be nice once we see where it ends up.
Are we going to see you in the crossover?
I cannot say anything about the crossover except for the fact it's going to change everyone. [Marc] Guggenheim has gone to Warner Bros. with this incredible list of things he wants for the crossover, Easter Eggs and characters and cameos and everything. It's going to be amazing, and I think fans are going to be shocked by a lot of things that happen in it.

Can you say if we see anything in the future scenes leading up to it that sets up Crisis?
Oh, yeah. The Monitor is a series regular, and this whole season is playing to his plan. He's orchestrating everything, so you're going to see everything building up to this Crisis, in our show especially. We're trying to tie up an entire show, so a lot of our plot is going to include a bunch of callbacks.
Are we going to see Connor interacting with the Monitor?
I don't know.

And what can you say about the potential for you being in the possible spinoff?
It's in development right now, and they're trying to write and create a show that pays homage to Arrow and the characters that it created, but also do something different that is its own show, its own entity and also something that is going to empower women. I cannot say what is going on with the pilot. We're about to shoot stuff and you'll see what happens with that, but it'll help with where the story goes with that spinoff.

Hopefully I'm a part of it. I'd love to continue to explore this world and his relationship with Mia and the team and family. I'd love to continue going deeper. We go so much deeper in this season that it makes me want to keep going.

Edited by tv echo

JJ's story is giving me strong Star Wars vibes - you know, Han & Leia's son being inspired by Darth Vader into becoming evil Kylo Ren...

How Arrow’s Flash-Forward Deathstroke Compares To Slade Wilson, According To The Actor
Adam Holmes   October 21, 2019
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2482799/how-arrows-flash-forward-deathstroke-compares-to-slade-wilson-according-to-the-actor

We finally met the adult JJ last week in the Arrow Season 8 premiere, and it’s clear that he’ll have a major presence this season as a formidable antagonist. But how does JJ’s version of Deathstroke compare to Slade Wilson? I recently had the pleasure of speaking Charlie Barnett on behalf of CinemaBlend about his time on Arrow, and here’s how he responded to that particular question regarding his character:

"If you go back in the comic books, Deathstroke is already a completely different person and a completely different story. I have a backstory of my own, and I don’t know how much of it I’m allowed to give out because some of it actually relates back, some of it doesn’t. But Slade to me has become a father figure. He guided me to where I am and he took up a mantle that my father didn’t. My father, I don’t want to say that he vindictively misplaced that mantle or didn’t take the opportunity, but he was preoccupied with something else, with someone else. And so a lot of what Slade was in the comics is a thing that I felt JJ innately has to take on, but a majority of them extending from a mask. His core is more related to his father and his mother, and I think even his brother, as much as he would hate to admit it. But he tries as hard as he can to live the Slade life."

As fans saw last week, while Connor Hawke, John Diggle and Lyla Michaels’ adoptive who was originally raised by Ben Turner, a.k.a. Bronze Tiger, went down the heroic path, JJ went down a darker route, although Charlie Barnett was hesitant to label his character as an outright villain. We still don’t have the full story on what exactly caused JJ and Connor’s split, but as Barnett laid out, JJ grew up looking to Slade Wilson as inspiration, which explains why he’s now filling the Deathstroke shoes.
What’s unclear from what Charlie Barnett said is if JJ actually met Slade Wilson as a child or if JJ is just modeling himself after what he’s heard about the original Deathstroke. Either way, the man was obviously important to JJ, so between that and his issues with his adoptive family, all that was enough for him to take on the masked mantle.

Edited by tv echo