Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread: The Final Countdown

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Featherhat said:

None of them seem to have much info, which is strange considering they'd have to have been pitched the show by the producers. I wonder if JDJ actually knows 

I think it's possible that happens to Laurel but they've been on and off about "who am I again?" since early S7 I think it's partly because of the lazy take over of E1's life and KC's determination for her original storyline.

It's also possible this also happens to Mia in some form because even if it's set in the future I think the current 2040 is going to go very wonky, though I hope she remembers her parents especially if they haven't got EBR back and she's spending a lot of the crossover with Oliver before his sacrifice. 

I think when you are working with actors on your show, the pitch doesnt have to be as strong. They were probably like "hey! We want to do a spin off with X,Y,Z, are you interested?" to which we all know all jumped at the chance. 

How does Katie Cassidy fit into things?

GUGGENHEIM: She’s fantastic. I can’t talk too much about Katie without spoiling things. The reason I haven’t talked about Katie is that it’s very hard to do it without spoiling 801. Katie directed 803, and it’s been such a privilege to watch her prepare to become a director. She’s just been so professional. She was acting in 802, while prepping 803, and putting in 24/7 days. She’s just tireless. She’s amazing. She actually has some great, fun things to do in Season 8, but I can’t talk about any of them because it ruins the end of 801. You asked which character turned out completely differently, and Laurel is probably the best answer. The whole idea of Black Siren was never in the game plan. It was just the idea of bringing Black Siren back for 509 was a one-off idea, and we loved having her back so much that (CW President) Mark Pedowitz called, very similar to the way he did with Emily [Bett Rickards], and said, “You’re gonna have her back again, right?” And we were like, “We’re way ahead of you.” When Katie came back as Black Siren and when Emily was introduced to the show, those were two times where Mark Pedowitz said, “You’re doing more with her, right?” And we were like, “Now we are.”

giphy.gif
Anytime MG talks KC/LL I want to believe him sooooooooooo bad but time and again he ends up doing the opposite so I'll believe it when I see it post 8x02.  Though 5x09 is one of my fave KC performances in Arrow so glad to see MP enjoyed it to the point of wanting her back again.

3 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I have a theory for the backdoor pilot that I'm going to spoiler tag since it includes Crisis comic info:

Hide contents

One of the changes that happens as a result of Crisis in the comics is that only some of the characters remember the original timeline. We've commented recently on the fact that Cassidy and various producers/writers/behind the scenes people don't seem to know which version of Laurel she's actually playing so what if they actually end up using Crisis to bring back Laurel? Not a real resurrection but maybe Siren's specific result is that she genuinely believes she's the Laurel Lance of Earth Prime and her own backstory gets merged with Laurel's? That would allow them to pick and choose the parts of each character the like, make those canon, and then throw out the rest. Then we could end up with the goody two shoes Laurel was supposed to be but with the powers of Black Siren and no more of the contradicting backstory.

I think that is the best thing to do with majority of the characters outside of Mia and gives them a change to show proper ramifications from COIE and keep them fresh. If this does go as they plan, I am REALLY interested to see how they treat them in regards to crossovers going forward.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

Though 5x09 is one of my fave KC performances in Arrow so glad to see MP enjoyed it to the point of wanting her back again.

You and MG enjoyed it so much you both forgot it was 510 she was introduced as BS to Arrow. 509 was the winter finale when Billy got killed off.

• LOL 6

I’m not surprised at all.  As much as some might want to call it the Black Canary show, the press seemed mostly to focus on Mia as the central character, and I noticed that even when MG tweeted the “Green Arrow and the Canaries” comic cover, he listed Kat’s name first.  

• Love 1

It was just the idea of bringing Black Siren back for 509 was a one-off idea, and we loved having her back so much that (CW President) Mark Pedowitz called, very similar to the way he did with Emily [Bett Rickards], and said, “You’re gonna have her back again, right?” And we were like, “We’re way ahead of you.”

I must laugh that they loved her performance so much that they waited until 5x22 and 5x23 to bring her back. And if remember correctly it was always said  Peter Roth who was saying to them to bring the girl with glasses back. And coming back to the spinoff it seems its more of Pedowitz wanting the Canaries in the new spinoff for some reason. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

You and MG enjoyed it so much you both forgot it was 510 she was introduced as BS to Arrow. 509 was the winter finale when Billy got killed off.

Meh, episode numbers were never big to me and I especially dont remember people on the show to remember.

Kat was hired because - as suspected - they knew she was social media savy, has a large young fandom and would be perfect to lead a show. Pedowitz knew about the spinoff during the upfronts but it wasn't the right time to announce it because they wanted buzz for the premiere. KC didn't know she was coming back when she filmed 718 and unfollowed Juliana right away but they saw an opportunity to use each other to pitch the same spotlight KC's wanted since Laurel was killed off in season 4, since it didn't work as a solo mission. At the same time, she was watching her six by asking for a spot on LoT. Pedowitz thinks adding the canaries to Kat's show will give the show more chances to succeed and at the same time satisfy KC's wishes. Considering the concept is still being molded, Kat/KC are each trying to prop either FTA/canaries, explaining Kat's likes, while completely ignoring each other.

This show isn't even on air yet and it's already a mess behind the scenes. 😅

Edited by RS3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, RS3 said:

Kat was hired because - as suspected - they knew she was social media savy, has a large young fandom and would be perfect to lead a show. Pedowitz knew about the spinoff during the upfronts but it wasn't the right time to announce it because they wanted buzz for the premiere. KC didn't know she was coming back when she filmed 718 and unfollowed Juliana right away but they saw an opportunity to use each other to pitch the same spotlight KC's wanted since Laurel was killed off in season 4, since it didn't work as a solo mission. At the same time, she was watching her six by asking for a spot on LoT. Pedowitz thinks adding the canaries to Kat's show will give the show more chances to succeed and at the same time satisfy KC's wishes. Considering the concept is still being molded, Kat/KC are each trying to prop either FTA/canaries, explaining Kat's likes, while completely ignoring each other.

She unfollowed JH? and asked for a spot on LoT? When did all of this happen?

6 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

She unfollowed JH? and asked for a spot on LoT? When did all of this happen?

1) After 718

2) Right before the spinoff was announced, she was liking ig comments wanting BS to be shipped off with the legends next year. I'm guessing she shoot her shot. 

55 minutes ago, RS3 said:

I find it especially jarring that while she was sitting around the FTA at Marcs party she was completely ignoring them during her live tweet. No matter if she likes it  or no,t Kat and some of the actors  from FF will definetely be part of the spinoff.  At least give them a basic shoutout, especially since it seem it will be a spinoff in the future timeline. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

I find it especially jarring that while she was sitting around the FTA at Marcs party she was completely ignoring them during her live tweet. No matter if she likes it  or no,t Kat and some of the actors  from FF will definetely be part of the spinoff.  At least give them a basic shoutout, especially since it seem it will be a spinoff in the future timeline. 

Ding Ding Ding. 

You know who was acknowledged? JH, who had a total of 0.005 seconds in the episode. I kid obviously but still... They're supposed to be selling their show together and there's a fracture already. I don't know if it's a smart move from KC or JH. Kat on the other hand would be able to recover considering she has a tons of projects lined up, from what I read. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

"We know the other individuals who are part of it"....... She's not hiding her bitchy anymore 🤣

Oh the bts for this show will be so juicy if it actually becomes a proper show.

I hope she's just trying not to spoil the non KM and JH people already cast but it does seem like she's going out of her way not to acknowledge her co-stars there. She does have a history of liking things that are down right inflammatory to some of her co-stars that big her up, so I am side eying it.

This isn't the Canaries spin off she pitched, that much seems clear, she seems to be hoping they'll go back to that but I don't think that one would have had Kat M anywhere near it, it would be a Laurel show. But KM really hits the CW sweet spot, right down to being a former lead on a Freeform show. I don't blame her for liking the tweets that celebrate her or KM for going full in on the FTA and "Olicity Baby/Olicity Baby's First Crossover" etc stuff but it will be interesting to see how it pans out. Hilarious to contrast KC liking tweets that say Mia should have been Laurel and Oliver's baby. 

I just want her far away from LOT mostly, especially since I'm already frustrated at many of the spoilers. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, RS3 said:

Ding Ding Ding. 

You know who was acknowledged? JH, who had a total of 0.005 seconds in the episode. I kid obviously but still... They're supposed to be selling their show together and there's a fracture already. I don't know if it's a smart move from KC or JH. Kat on the other hand would be able to recover considering she has a tons of projects lined up, from what I read. 

Also Kat and even Joseph are actually the actors outside of Stephen and David who actually doing any real promo for the show. Yes Katie did an interview for hypable but that is a platform that is used by fans of the show, not actual media outlets that employs journalist/reporters. People can claim KC, JH and Kat would be on the same level but its already obvious that is not the case. 

Edited by Velocity23

All I know is I THINK KCR is just salty that she cant get her own spinoff and that the Olicity princess that was Promised will be probably be a big reason people would tune in personally for me I'd watch the hell out of a show centered around the Olicity Children And Dyla Child 

• Love 4
On 10/19/2019 at 10:35 PM, Velocity23 said:

I must laugh that they loved her performance so much that they waited until 5x22 and 5x23 to bring her back. And if remember correctly it was always said  Peter Roth who was saying to them to bring the girl with glasses back. And coming back to the spinoff it seems its more of Pedowitz wanting the Canaries in the new spinoff for some reason. 

Yes, it was Warner Bros. President Peter Roth who commented on EBR/Felicity's debut in 103...

Andrew Kreisberg: "It's really all because of Emily [Bett Rickards]. I mean, truthfully, you know, we wrote that as a - you know, we never intended to, 'hey, we're introducing a new recurring character who one day is going to find out Oliver Queen's secret.'  It was just, 'oh, Oliver needed to go to an IT girl, and we decided to make it somebody, you know in Queen Consolidated, and we gave her a little bit of edge, which we thought was fun. And Marc and I saw like - you know, the casting people, they send you the videos of the readings of the, you know, people who come in to read, and she was clearly the best one. And we did it once and, you know, what's going to happen. And, you know, we were watching, you know - sometimes we'll watch the show like with twitter - (MG interjected, "And by 'sometimes,' we mean every week") - and that first episode that she was on, like all of a sudden, it was like, 'hey, who's the blonde IT girl? who's the blonde IT girl?' And, you know, then we were getting feedback from, you know - Peter Roth, who's the President of Warner Brothers, called us and said, 'I love the blonde computer girl.' - (general laughter) - And, um, that first scene with her became proof of concept for what she could be because, you know, Stephen [Amell] was so funny in that scene, you know, that first scene with her."

(Arrow cast panel at PaleyFest 2013, where Andrew Kreisberg, Marc Guggenheim, Stephen Amell and David Ramsey talked about the popularity of Felicity’s character)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Wow, it's been a while since I've been on here but the drama over the spinoff I saw on twitter was too much to pass lol. I'm not surprised Kat is getting a spinoff, I think everyone called it when she was cast. She already led her own TV show, so it makes sense that they wouldn't waste her on such a short term role. I am curious when the spinoff takes place though. Is it going to be 2040 and somehow Dinah and LL end up in the future post crisis, will it be 2040 and they're both old but the show does flashbacks to their younger years, I can't see Mia staying in the present, I know she's there for crisis, but I can't see them not using the William or Connor actors at all (not to mention Charlie who they got to play JJ).

I see people fighting over the lead on twitter, but this is CW it's obviously gonna be Kat, she's the new Oliver. If they were gonna give KC a canary spinoff they would have after season 3, when Canary was actually a hot topic (mostly because of Sara and her death, but it would have made the most sense). Even the BOP film hasn't seem to have brought much hype to BC, all I see is Harley everywhere. My guess is both KC & JH will probably end up more background (since this show will be run by the same team it seems), and the fact that the working title is GA and Canaries, means they can add or replace them as they see fit. But they're both getting paid, so my guess is they don't really care lol.

But the CW does seem to be going younger with its new shows, so I do wonder what the spin-off show ends up being. Who knows if what we get in ep 9, doesn't change for their pilot kinda like Legends did. 

I find your theories about the possible spin off interesting, maybe it's a new version of the three characters? Anyway good luck to them, I hope that the work will pay, it's nice to see that the three actresses support each other,  unlike on the social networks where there are people who want to mount them against each other

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, MISS1 said:

I find your theories about the possible spin off interesting, maybe it's a new version of the three characters? Anyway good luck to them, I hope that the work will pay, it's nice to see that the three actresses support each other,  unlike on the social networks where there are people who want to mount them against each other

They clearly dont support each other. JH and KC started to finally aknowledging each other. But KC is going out of her way to  not aknowledge Kat and FTA.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

and you believe what he says? he has said many times that he does not know the contracts and he does not work in production. OK if the title and green arrow and the canaries, but I'm sure they are all three leads a little like Charlie Angels or Charmed. it will surprise me that KC is accepted a supporting role.  I'm waiting for the summary and see

It could be more like Charmed or LOT I suppose, but it makes sense that Mia would be the character the show is built around more than the other two who are older, just looking at the demos the CW targets. It doesn't mean the other two wouldn't have a big role or decent storylines. 

As for KC accepting a supporting role? It keeps her in work and she's clearly hoping that they turn the show into a BOP show as per the interview posted above. She's hung on to the Arrowverse more than any other cast member of Arrow and she'll probably still be there one way or another when everyone else has turned the lights off. 

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, way2interested said:

He talks to the people who do work in production. The crew literally call 809/spinoff "Kat's show"

He and his wife get call sheets, on those you get info who exactly is filming, description of the scene. Its how he knows stuff that are happening. 

43 minutes ago, MISS1 said:

and you believe what he says? he has said many times that he does not know the contracts and he does not work in production. OK if the title and green arrow and the canaries, but I'm sure they are all three leads a little like Charlie Angels or Charmed. it will surprise me that KC is accepted a supporting role.  I'm waiting for the summary and see

Except the show being called Green Arrow and the canaries basically gives away that it's her show. There is nothing in canaries that is unique to Laurel or Dinah, we know there is a whole network of canaries. Meaning if they decide to get rid of them, they'd be easily replaced by any other canary. Whereas, if it were Green Arrow and Black or White Canary, then I could see the show being co-led. 

KC has been in a supporting role from season 1. Yes, in the early seasons she was the female lead, but after the first season she was more of a secondary character than Diggle, Felicity, and even Sara. There is nothing wrong with a supporting role, and I am sure she is getting paid her quote. So I don't see the big deal, she'll have less work but still gets paid. She just won't have the A plot, Mia will. I'm sure JH's Dinah will have an even smaller role.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

Except the show being called Green Arrow and the canaries basically gives away that it's her show. There is nothing in canaries that is unique to Laurel or Dinah, we know there is a whole network of canaries. Meaning if they decide to get rid of them, they'd be easily replaced by any other canary. Whereas, if it were Green Arrow and Black or White Canary, then I could see the show being co-led. 

KC has been in a supporting role from season 1. Yes, in the early seasons she was the female lead, but after the first season she was more of a secondary character than Diggle, Felicity, and even Sara. There is nothing wrong with a supporting role, and I am sure she is getting paid her quote. So I don't see the big deal, she'll have less work but still gets paid. She just won't have the A plot, Mia will. I'm sure JH's Dinah will have an even smaller role.

It's pretty clear that LL/DD are the Canaries. There's no reason to put them on the cover and even name it that name if they weren't important to the show. It'll likely be very BoP in nature. It's been said for years "KC wont be in a spin off" "she wont work for Berlanti again" "to old for TheCw" but one way or another we are here. I dont doubt Mia will be the biggest character but I doubt LL/DD will be there just to be there and do nothing. 

And with it being called GA&tCC any of them, including Mia could be replaced technically. It isnt a Buffy situation.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

It could be more like Charmed or LOT I suppose, but it makes sense that Mia would be the character the show is built around more than the other two who are older, just looking at the demos the CW targets. It doesn't mean the other two wouldn't have a big role or decent storylines. 

While I agree for the most part, this doesn't ring as true as it once did when Batwoman is being lead by a 33yr old and BL is in his late 40s.

14 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

It's pretty clear that LL/DD are the Canaries. There's no reason to put them on the cover and even name it that name if they weren't important to the show. It'll likely be very BoP in nature. It's been said for years "KC wont be in a spin off" "she wont work for Berlanti again" "to old for TheCw" but one way or another we are here. I dont doubt Mia will be the biggest character but I doubt LL/DD will be there just to be there and do nothing. 

And with it being called GA&tCC any of them, including Mia could be replaced technically. It isnt a Buffy situation.

True, but let's be real here: This are the same team that have run Arrow for years, are you really confident that things will play out the way you hope? I don't really care, I am not watching any DC show on the CW after this. I pretty much have disconnected, but I think some fans are setting themselves up for disappointment, and Ken & CG are rarely wrong (even if they're both dicks).

I think had they hired someone else for Mia, someone unknown then I could see it play out how you described. But they got someone with a built in fanbase, who's young (which matches the demo of their newer shows), and they made her Oliver's daughter. I feel like this will be more like an Arrow situation, where everyone is second to her. But that's just my opinion. Maybe you guys will get lucky and have some balance.

Oh and to be clear: I have never said or thought KC wouldn't work for GB again. LOL I think KC will go to where she will get paid, as most actors do.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

It's pretty clear that LL/DD are the Canaries. There's no reason to put them on the cover and even name it that name if they weren't important to the show.

There's a reason if "the Canaries" is referring to the Canary Network that's set up in the future. If Zoe is the latest Canary to get killed off, then Dinah and Laurel are the only ones that anyone would recognize/care about despite there being a whole group of them.

I personally don't care who's the lead or when it takes place because I'm not going to watch it, but Arrow has made it very clear that whoever's a Canary at the moment doesn't matter, that they can easily be replaced by someone else, which is probably why there's so much doubt around whether they're the center of the show or not. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, JJ928 said:

True, but let's be real here. These are the same team that have run Arrow for years, are you really confident that things will play out the way you hope? I don't really care, I am not watching any DC show on the CW after this. I've pretty much have disconnected, but I think some fans are setting themselves up for disappointment, and Ken & CG are rarely wrong (even if they're both dicks).

I think had they hired someone else for Mia, someone unknown then I could see it play out how you described. But they got someone with a built in fanbase, who's young (which matches the demo of their newer shows), and they made her Oliver's daughter. I feel like this will be more like an Arrow situation, where everyone is second to her. But that's just my opinion. Maybe you guys will get lucky and have some balance.

Oh trust me, i never trust MG but even I have a hard time believing that the Canaries will be just there to be there. Just dont include them if they don't have any big plans for them.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Oh trust me, i never trust MG but even I have a hard time believing that the Canaries will be just there to be there. Just dont include them if they don't have any big plans for them.

Meh, I don't trust MG for anything, and frankly I don't trust Beth either. The best thing for me was Emily leaving and being free of these shows lol. I'm sure they have some plans for them, I just wouldn't be surprised if by ep 3 of the spin-off there are like 5 canaries, all vying for some screen time. That is right up in their wheelhouse. 

Edited to add: Maybe they'll make Connor a Canary and give everyone that GA/BC pairing finally lol.

Edited by JJ928
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

Edited to add: Maybe they'll make Connor a Canary and give everyone that GA/BC pairing finally lol.

He is Connor Hawke, after all. That could qualify him to be a Bird.

Edited by lemotomato
  • LOL 12
  • Love 5

Given how much time they were devoting to the FFs and how they wrote 7x18 (and KC’s own attitude on SM), I don’t believe they had any plans of adding  ‘the canaries’ as they are now to the spin off. This feels like S5 Dinah all over again.

The show runners killed off Laurel, bury ‘Black Canary’, made a big deal about it being a permanent and how brave they were for killing a superhero. Then S5 happens and suddenly you can’t have a GA show without a BC. IIRC, that was a network idea. 

Seems like a pattern.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Chaser said:

The show runners killed off Laurel, bury ‘Black Canary’, made a big deal about it being a permanent and how brave they were for killing a superhero. Then S5 happens and suddenly you can’t have a GA show without a BC. IIRC, that was a network idea. 

Seems like a pattern.

Network or else, it definitely didn't come from MG or GB. I do remember Stephen repeating that same sound bite word-by-word right before Dinah's intro episode on the show, when he used to do a live before almost each episode. 3 years later, fan engagement about Dinah is still non existent outside of her mantle. 

I think the problem is they can’t seem to write a BC on her own for her own show (that spinoff is clearly never going to happen), and rather than have BC off on her own, doing her own thing (sort of like Laurel on E2 in 801, minus Chase) and maybe occasionally popping up in the spinoff, they write BCs in a way that they do need GA/a team. Just look at the Canary Network in the future — even an entire network of Canaries couldn’t get the job done. And I blame that entirely on the writing. 

IMO, the spinoff should’ve been the future team, with a Canary or two or whatever off in another city, protecting it, and occasionally showing up (recurring, not series regular) to team up with Mia, Connor, William, and Zoe. BC could’ve stood on her own then, and even been a time-displaced/COIE-related reason LL and/or DD, not staying in SC full time. 

However they put whatever Laurel into the pilot, they need to keep the snark. That's what KC plays best, and that's when BS took off.

I've always thought that Dinah got as much storytime as she did because she was the Back Canary, not because she was an interesting character or the actress was that good. With KC there to take the BC slot, I wonder just how much time Dinah will get on the new show.

"GA and the Canaries" makes me think of Diana Ross and the Supremes. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Oh geez, and now Willa’s mom is jumping into random twitter convos to defend KC. This spinoff is a mess and we haven’t even seen the backdoor pilot yet.

In other news, I’m glad Oliver and Tatsu will talk about Felicity. I loved her talk with Felicity in S3.

6 hours ago, MISS1 said:

and you believe what he says? he has said many times that he does not know the contracts and he does not work in production.

Yeah, Canadagraphs especially has been an incredibly a misogynistic troll to actresses on Arrow and the other superhero shows, I fail how to see how he or that Ken guy  are such reliable sources of information on stuff like this. They may hear some rumors and gossip but I wouldn't take their word as gospel. Canadagraphs can say he talks to people in production, but again that is his word, he is not an official media source of anything.

Edited by CabotCove
26 minutes ago, CabotCove said:

Yeah, Canadagraphs especially has been an incredibly a misogynistic troll to actresses on Arrow and the other superhero shows

This is true.

26 minutes ago, CabotCove said:

I fail how to see how he or that Ken guy  are such reliable sources of information on stuff like this. 

I would check out the Spoilers Only threads (1&2) if you want to see how reliable they are. 

• Love 1

I would check out the Spoilers Only threads (1&2) if you want to see how reliable they are. 

Yeah i believe the pictures they take on filming locations, at least that is backed by something,  that is why I said "information on stuff like this". And even if they are right about certain things, doesnt mean they are right about everything. They are also still unofficial sources. 

Edited by CabotCove
1 hour ago, Trisha said:

Oh geez, and now Willa’s mom is jumping into random twitter convos to defend KC. This spinoff is a mess and we haven’t even seen the backdoor pilot yet.

They could not have cast a more perfect combination of people to get fandom to talk about this show. That combo kills any bit of interest I would've had in it, but all the fighting back and forth is fun, and probably more buzz than this show would've gotten otherwise, so...good work I guess? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3