Type keyword(s) to search

Ghosts - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/8/2023 at 12:39 PM, Arynm said:

This is hysterical!! I loved it. Also, there is a companion book to Ghosts UK that puts the characters in historical documents? I must have it. Is it available in the US yet? I looked on Amazon and didn't see it.

Below is where I ordered it last week, but have not yet received it.  It's a quite bit cheaper than Amazon and has free shipping to the US.  Someone on another forum also ordered from Blackwells and received it no problem.

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/Ghosts-by-Mathew-Baynton/9781526669902

Also, Series 4 plus the S4 Christmas episode is now available for streaming/purchase on Amazon.  They will probably wait until after the 25th to make Series 5 available because the Christmas episode is planned for release on Christmas day in the UK.

Edited by TruffleHog
added S4 for clarity
  • Like 3

I finally had a chance to watch last week's two episodes, and enjoyed them a lot.  I liked seeing Alison's morning routine with the ghosts - and that we finally got another fall out the window - and anything making fun of ghost hunters is right up my alley.  Alison's request to have Mike's mug destroyed going nowhere was funny.  As was keeping a book sideways for the detached head to read while lying on its ear.

I loved the hangover episode, and how they kept piecing the night back together.  Kitty was unbearably annoying with her whining and wailing, though.  I have zero tolerance for needy/clingy people, but have been surprisingly taken with her until that episode, when it was too much.  I'm sure she'll go back to entertaining me this week.

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Bastet said:

I finally had a chance to watch last week's two episodes, and enjoyed them a lot. 

The episode "Bump in the Night" hasn't aired yet on CBS but should in the next couple weeks.  It's easily one of the top fan favorites in the whole series.  it's also one of the only episodes that I wish they would adapt (in some way) for the US series.  I don't want it replicated scene-by-scene, but the premise is absolutely fantastic and leaves a lot of room for options.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

My DirecTV DVR is set to automatically record this show. It had told me that there would be two episodes tonight, but then they disappeared off my list for tonight.

I checked, and now it looks like there is only one episode tonight, and somehow my DVR  didn't automatically pick it up when it cancelled the originally scheduled two episodes. 

Just a heads up in case anyone else might be in the same situation.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 2

Awwwwwwwww, that was a good Christmas episode. I loved Alison and Thomas singing together at the end, and then the rest of the ghosts joining in. Also enjoyed getting to see Mike's family, and their interaction with Alison. 

The storyline with Julian and the flashbacks was really poignant and bittersweet. 

• Like 4

It's been awhile since I watched these episodes on MAX, but I'm pretty sure they were a half hour without commercials, which means CBS must really be cutting a lot out to make room for them. I also think the Christmas episode was originally an hour long, which means CBS really edited the crap out of it. 

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It's been awhile since I watched these episodes on MAX, but I'm pretty sure they were a half hour without commercials, which means CBS must really be cutting a lot out to make room for them. I also think the Christmas episode was originally an hour long, which means CBS really edited the crap out of it. 

Yes, there are no adverts on the BBC, so the original episodes were a full half hour. It's a shame you're getting them cut down. 

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I also think the Christmas episode was originally an hour long, which means CBS really edited the crap out of it. 

All the Christmas episodes I've watched were a half hour long like regular episodes. But I agree it's a shame they're cutting several minutes per episode. It's why I'm not rewatching them on CBS. From what I've read, a lot of my favorite little jokes/funny moments are being cut due to it. 

• Like 3

Kind of bummed. I missed the first two eps of season one, and now I’ve missed the first two eps of season two. You would think CBS would find a way to air the UK Ghosts episodes at a different time considering the popularity. I did enjoy the DvD birthday special, though.

So many questions-what will happen to the rest of the UK seasons once the US version resumes? I like both versions.

• Like 1
On 12/23/2023 at 2:45 AM, Daff said:

Kind of bummed. I missed the first two eps of season one, and now I’ve missed the first two eps of season two. You would think CBS would find a way to air the UK Ghosts episodes at a different time considering the popularity. I did enjoy the DvD birthday special, though.

So many questions-what will happen to the rest of the UK seasons once the US version resumes? I like both versions.

Paramount+ is streaming Seasons 1-2 & you can buy Seasons 1-4 on Amazon Prime.  DailyMotion has all 5 seasons--and then you get to see all the funny stuff they cut out of the CBS eppys!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TruffleHog said:

Sadly, the final Christmas episode disappointed me.  It's almost as though they forgot 

Hide contents

that Alison can still see ghosts and will likely see new ghosts wherever they end up

It did make me think about that time in season one where Alison and Mike tried to find a non-haunted place to live, but there were ghosts everywhere they went.

They would have a bigger budget to play with, though, after selling Button Hall to a hotel chain. Then again, the premise of season one was that they

couldn't just up and sell, because of some clause or other in the loans Mike took out. I guess they got past that!

I really wasn't expecting the resolution of the show to be them moving away and leaving the ghosts behind, I got a bit verklempt about that, although I suppose it makes sense. And the annual visits mean future one-off Christmas specials remain possible, I guess...

• Like 3
On 12/24/2023 at 4:56 PM, sharmar said:

Paramount+ is streaming Seasons 1-2 & you can buy Seasons 1-4 on Amazon Prime.  DailyMotion has all 5 seasons--and then you get to see all the funny stuff they cut out of the CBS eppys!

I can only find season 4 on Daily Motion. Can you provide a link to season 5?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Llywela said:

It did make me think about that time in season one where Alison and Mike tried to find a non-haunted place to live, but there were ghosts everywhere they went.

Reveal spoiler

They would have a bigger budget to play with, though, after selling Button Hall to a hotel chain. Then again, the premise of season one was that they

couldn't just up and sell, because of some clause or other in the loans Mike took out. I guess they got past that!

I really wasn't expecting the resolution of the show to be them moving away and leaving the ghosts behind, I got a bit verklempt about that, although I suppose it makes sense. And the annual visits mean future one-off Christmas specials remain possible, I guess...

They did find one house in season 1 that had no ghosts.  So it was feasible that they found another.

12 hours ago, Llywela said:

Reveal spoiler

Spoiler

Think at the beginning of season 1 was them not having any money for the interest but selling to a chain would get past that.

And yes the ghosts being in a hotel means they possibly could have multiple avenues for future one off specials if we could get them to write them.

Edited by sidi

Oooooooh, I LOVED tonight's episodes so much. "Redding Weddy" - everything with the history of the Captain and Havers was....aw :(. That ending bit with the Captain looking out the window and remembering Havers waving to him one last time :'(. The whole thing with the secret operation that the Captain wanted hidden was a good way to explore that story. 

And Robin's whole thing with the moon landing. Good lord. 

And "The Thomas Thorne Affair" (great title, by the way :D). So good. I loved the whole setup and how different everyone's recollections were in regards to Thomas' death. I especially liked Humphrey being able to figure out some of the most important details simply because of his unique perspective on the floor :D. And Kitty knowing the details that were the most painful to Thomas...there was something really poignant about that that I liked. I felt so bad for Thomas. Damn. That's cold.

I also loved how incredibly invested Alison got in the story (and I loved her whole look this episode, she looked so pretty), and how they tied the Thomas storyline into Julian's thing about bias and spin in politics, that was clever. And Robin's face after his "sister" comment cracked me up XD. 

(Also, on a purely shallow note, I was finding Thomas especially attractive this episode. Particularly during the flashbacks :p.)

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

And "The Thomas Thorne Affair" (great title, by the way :D). So good. I loved the whole setup and how different everyone's recollections were in regards to Thomas' death. I especially liked Humphrey being able to figure out some of the most important details simply because of his unique perspective on the floor :D. And Kitty knowing the details that were the most painful to Thomas...there was something really poignant about that that I liked. I felt so bad for Thomas. Damn. That's cold.

That's one of my favorite episodes! I also really enjoyed Mary's recollection versus everyone else's with people floating. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

This was the episode when Humphrey's head started becoming one of my favorite ghosts. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Zella said:

That's one of my favorite episodes! I also really enjoyed Mary's recollection versus everyone else's with people floating. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

That was such a trippy detail, I loved that XD. 

I also liked everyone's descriptions of Thomas' poem. Even Thomas himself stated that it went on two hours :p. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 2
36 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I also liked everyone's descriptions of Thomas' poem. Even Thomas himself stated that it went on two hours :p. 

LOL YES! When he first described how enraptured by his poetry they were, I was like "Oh I seriously doubt that, Thomas." And then everyone else describing how bored the audience was. 😂

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
40 minutes ago, Zella said:

LOL YES! When he first described how enraptured by his poetry they were, I was like "Oh I seriously doubt that, Thomas." And then everyone else describing how bored the audience was. 😂

Kitty not understanding why everyone was giggling. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Then again, the premise of season one was that they couldn't just up and sell, because of some clause or other in the loans Mike took out. I guess they got past that!

They were going to sell to a hotel chain in Season 1 but the building inspector found the plague pit in the basement and the buyer backed out. The skeletons have since been removed.

Spoiler

Just finished Season 5 and the Christmas special left me verklempt! The ending was just so bittersweet, although I appreciate the closing gag with the basement ghosts in the sauna. Man I'll miss this show.

On 12/28/2023 at 10:23 PM, Zella said:

That's one of my favorite episodes! I also really enjoyed Mary's recollection versus everyone else's with people floating.

I loved Robin's version of the story where everyone was talking "cave man" like him.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

I've only seen the first two seasons and a bit of the 3rd.  Without giving any spoilers, can anyone tell me if we find out how all the ghosts died by the end of the series?  There are still a few I don't know about.  I'm looking forward to streaming them now that they are all available.

No spoilers, please!  Just general info about whether we learn everything.  Thanks.

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, bunnyface said:

I've only seen the first two seasons and a bit of the 3rd.  Without giving any spoilers, can anyone tell me if we find out how all the ghosts died by the end of the series?  There are still a few I don't know about.  I'm looking forward to streaming them now that they are all available.

No spoilers, please!  Just general info about whether we learn everything.  Thanks.

Yes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

Halfway through Season 2.  Definitely a different style than the US knockoff.

However, the fact that each of the cast plays multiple ghosts is horribly distracting and cheap.

Edited by Tachi Rocinante

Well I guess that's it for Ghosts UK on CBS. Too bad, they could have easily aired the last two seasons to fill in the time slot until the new US season starts. There must be some sort of separate licensing for the last two seasons, because HBO/MAX only aired the first three too. I'll be interested to see if Seasons 4 and 5 are available on Paramount Plus, but I doubt it.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'll be interested to see if Seasons 4 and 5 are available on Paramount Plus, but I doubt it.

I watch on P+, but am really behind (just started season two), so just checked -- they don't even have season three up, just one and two.  Which is quite odd if season three aired on CBS; whichever episode(s) aired on CBS at night, P+ would put up the next day.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)
On 12/3/2023 at 1:18 AM, Which Tyler said:

What I don't understand, is why Robin, Mary and the Plague village are bound by the boundaries of the more modern house & grounds.

Same reason why everybody in the US version before Hetty is now bound by the current boundaries of Woodstone Manor. 

Or as Trevor says in the US version, they weren't issued a official Ghosts handbook at death so they don't have a clue why they can walk through walls but not fall through floors, walk through people but sit on furniture etc.  In short: Sitcom writers rules + need to use human actors instead of real ghosts = the reasons.

My "fan version" is that the pre current boundary ghosts DIED on a spot on the current property thus are anchored there and as the boundary for the area changes over the years the new boundary becomes their new boundary and they can't wander as far as they used too. 

(Example: Thorfinn's bones being under the broken fountain at Woodstone Manor thus he died within the current property lines).

On 12/9/2023 at 6:45 PM, Snow Apple said:

I have a question for those who saw more, or all, the episodes than what's shown on CBS in the US so far. Does the little girl ghost appear again? 

Not really.  A spot appearance in a couple of episodes at bet as I recall.  She is not a real re-currying character any more than the teenage attic ghost in the American show.

On 12/26/2023 at 2:46 AM, TruffleHog said:

Sadly, the final Christmas episode disappointed me.

Me too.  Terrible ending.  Made no sense at all.  Last pre-Christmas regular episode was far better and on the right track.

On 1/5/2024 at 11:36 PM, bunnyface said:

Yes though you have to wait all the way until Season 5 to find out about the last two deaths.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 1

I'm up through the one where burglars break in while Mike is home alone with the ghosts, and that was a tremendously fun caper from start to finish.  And it brought back the plague girl to my delight, as I love the way the other ghosts are freaked out by her.  I think it's my favorite thus far.

• Like 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm up through the one where burglars break in while Mike is home alone with the ghosts, and that was a tremendously fun caper from start to finish.  And it brought back the plague girl to my delight, as I love the way the other ghosts are freaked out by her.  I think it's my favorite thus far.

That is one of my absolute favorites too! The chaos is superb. I also love what a criminal turn of mind Fanny has. 😂😂😂😂😂

On 1/24/2024 at 2:36 PM, Bastet said:

I watch on P+, but am really behind (just started season two), so just checked -- they don't even have season three up, just one and two.  Which is quite odd if season three aired on CBS; whichever episode(s) aired on CBS at night, P+ would put up the next day.

I don't think 3 aired on CBS. Because one of my favorite episodes is in that season, and I was looking forward to hearing people's thoughts, which never happened. (Unless I missed something.)

It seems like CBS dumped it after season 2, which is just dumb to me. They could have easily fit in all 5 seasons before they start showing the American version's newest season, IMO. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 7
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's one of my favorites, too. The "2 of them" message that goes awry, the plague girl, the panicked call to Alison, and of course Robin saving the day.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

The "2 of them" message that goes awry,

I love Julian's reaction to being scolded for that. "Well, you know, hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it?" LOLOL 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1
On 1/1/2022 at 12:23 PM, IWantCandy71 said:

So I enjoy both the US and BBC versions, but I think I enjoy the US version slightly more.

I have to confess, I assumed Ghosts US was actually a Canadian filmed series...