Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Grrarrggh said:

I think as a Black man, especially with a White wife, he's (sadly) right to be concerned. 

Sadly, you may be right. They did say that a diverse neighborhood was important to them. I wish them well, they seemed a good match.

• Like 5

Baton Rouge, LA. Had never seen a house that looked like #1. For the size, they didn't get much land. #2 had plenty of room, I could live with the traditional aspects. But have to agree that ceiling felt low. Maybe if we had seen this one before #1. Didn't think #3 needed new appliances. 

" Bougie in Baton Rouge", $1.2 million budget.   

house 1 is lovely, fiance wants the pool added by the builder. Modern and boxy, new construction.  Only 3100 sq ft. 

House 2-Traditional with porches and balconies, but ceilings too low.  with a huge pool

House 3-needs work (in their view), has a pool, I don't like the kitchen, opening the fridge doors is a  pain, it's too close to the island.  Listed for $799k, competitive bidding with 5 offers, and bought for $810k after another buyer's offer fell through.   High ceilings, hot tub.   They want to change tubs, sinks in bathrooms, and counter tops.   French flair.  bonus room is a media room.  

For Baton Rouge, I would buy the one that shouldn't flood, or didn't in the past. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 6

Berkshires area, MA. I like Mike and Kevin. They are appreciating the details in each house instead of wanting to rip out everything and update it. I would buy #3, that outdoor space was great. He went with the small place. If he's only there in the summer, he can be outside all the time. Not where I'd want to live in the winter.

22 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

People like the Chicago husband, don't realize the speed of a fire, and you need egress windows, or another door to get outside quickly.    If you have window wells you can get secure grates that can only be opened from below for safety from intruders.    The fact the Chicago and other location realtors mention you can use a basement for living space without egress, then I guess the authorities don't enforce safety rules.   

The Louisville realtor did the same thing.   You know Dais is going to spend his whole life in that basement, so having that mattress and things he put in the basement is risky.   

Another factor people forget who always have uncovered windows is a potential burglar can see what valuables you have, and if you're home or not, if you have dogs, or an alarm system.      

A safety tip, when you get expensive items like TVs, or something that comes in a labeled box, don't put the box out in the recycle, or with the trash, easy for burglars to see you have new stuff.   

It is amazing that I made it out of childhood - and I say this with not any snarkiness because I think modern safety codes and regulations save lives as well as preventing horrible long term disabilities.

There are so many illegal basements which people sleep in or rent. As a kid I grew up in a two family house so my parents finished the basement so my brother could have a bedroom. No way to get out of there if a fire had blocked the stairway entrance and firemen would most likely not have been able to reach anyone either. The only factor in his favor is that it was a short flight of stairs to the side door rather than the kind of basement in which the stairway leads to the first floor of the house which might be engulfed in flames.

There have been a few deaths by drowning in New York City of people who were living in illegal basements. And several deaths by fire because people had put up illegal walls and so firemen literally couldn't figure out how to get through. Not anything like the Ghost Ship fire in Oakland but deaths that could have been averted if Code had been followed.

When I watch HH I always look at the windows in the basement and judge whether a normal human could actually get out of them - do they even open when there are those strange well windows that are mostly below the ground?

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

An official egress window in a window well opens enough for a full sized adult to get out of the house in an emergency, and then the window well sides (they're metal usually) have a metal ladder so you can climb out.      I always recommend getting the security grates on the top, and then put a Lexan bubble top on it, so it's secure from intruders, and rainwater won't get in.    I suspect a lot of the older houses are grandfathered in, so unless you do a major remodel, you don't have to do egress windows. 

I'm so old that I remember when smoke alarms were the new thing.    With the Chicago house hunt, the husband did say he grew up on the South side of Chicago, and I suspect he was more concerned about intruders, and bullets than anything else.   

It's amazing the safety devices we have now, hard wired smoke and CO2 alarms, burglar alarms, home monitoring with remote viewing, and if you want to rent an upper story, many places require an outside metal fire stair.   

I really like it when a HH realtor says that a basement has legal egress windows, and if it's legal to have living space.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

An official egress window in a window well opens enough for a full sized adult to get out of the house in an emergency, and then the window well sides (they're metal usually) have a metal ladder so you can climb out.      I always recommend getting the security grates on the top, and then put a Lexan bubble top on it, so it's secure from intruders, and rainwater won't get in.    I suspect a lot of the older houses are grandfathered in, so unless you do a major remodel, you don't have to do egress windows. 

I'm so old that I remember when smoke alarms were the new thing.    With the Chicago house hunt, the husband did say he grew up on the South side of Chicago, and I suspect he was more concerned about intruders, and bullets than anything else.   

It's amazing the safety devices we have now, hard wired smoke and CO2 alarms, burglar alarms, home monitoring with remote viewing, and if you want to rent an upper story, many places require an outside metal fire stair.   

I really like it when a HH realtor says that a basement has legal egress windows, and if it's legal to have living space.   

I don't think you can grandfather in a basement as a bedroom without egress although lots of other stuff can be grandfathered in as long as you don't "touch" it by remodeling. For example, it is absolutely mandatory to have CGI plugs in kitchens and bathrooms but you don't have to change your electrical outlets unless you remodel.

I think some stuff also needs to be upgraded if you sell. For example, at least in my location (Los Angeles) you can't sell a home without a smoke detector.

And yes the metal bars. As a kid I slept in a first floor back bedroom so it had bars - and the bars didn't open. That would be completely illegal now. Same as fire escapes which can't have bars unless they can be opened from the inside WITHOUT a key.

• Like 3

Saw 2 new to me episodes that were back to back last night.  One about 2 families buying a vacation house on Chincoteague Island and the other one about 2 men buying a house in Tucson.  The house that the Chincoteague buyers bought looked like any house in a suburb of many cities, and it is big.  I get them wanting to have a large house to accomodate their families, but it just didn't give me the "let's go to the beach" vibe.  Unless they plan to be there all the time, that's a lot of house to maintain.  I am assuming they are going to rent it when they aren't there, but tax rules to apply to that type of arrangement.  Frankly I wasn't impressed with any of the houses as a get away house.

I hope the Arizona buyer and his friend/business partner continue to gain viewers on their You Tube site so he can afford that $1 million+ house.  It's a great house, and perfect for them.  Oh to be 23 again and afford something like that.  

• Like 4

Chicago, IL. House #1 seems a bit small for a guy newly living with 3 women. #2 was gorgeous. Wait, they're not married and either she uses his credit card or he gets an alert about the use of her card? #3 was right location but seemed to need too much work. I liked those kitchen cabinets.

• Like 1

What the Chicago couple needed were two separate houses, close enough so they can visit.      She was never going to move outside her school district, and force the daughters to change schools.    I did like the second house with that great pool and back yard though. 

I wonder if the house they bought will ever get changed to make him happy?      That would need a lot of work to fit what he wanted. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

What the Chicago couple needed were two separate houses, close enough so they can visit.

This is the set-up two of the happiest couples I know have.  It's not for everyone, but neither is assuming cohabitation is a must, regardless of circumstances.

• Like 8
14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

This is the set-up two of the happiest couples I know have.  It's not for everyone, but neither is assuming cohabitation is a must, regardless of circumstances.

New York Magazine had an article on a happily married couple - married for 49 years who wound up living in separate apartments in the same building because she was a collector and he admired the Japanese minimalist aesthetic.

Of course it pays to have enough money to be able to do this properly 

https://www.curbed.com/article/globus-his-and-hers-apartments-tour.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Maybe a duplex would be the thing, with a doggie door in a shared wall for the kids.

• LOL 7

I found the Chicago guy annoying.  If you’re going to live with someone who has children, the me me me attitude doesn’t fly.  

I also noted her comment that if they didn’t move in together, she was going to break up with him.  Not a good harbinger for the relationship.

• Like 6
10 hours ago, javajeanelaine said:

I found the Chicago guy annoying.  If you’re going to live with someone who has children, the me me me attitude doesn’t fly.  

I also noted her comment that if they didn’t move in together, she was going to break up with him.  Not a good harbinger for the relationship.

I got warning bells about this guy. Run lady! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, chediavolo said:

I got warning bells about this guy. Run lady! 

The thing that stuck out at me about him was that I couldn't understand much of what he said because he spoke so fast....AND....both of them made reference to her "bossy" ways and that he "couldn't get a word in edgewise."

Going into a home purchase together screams out the words "WARNING:  TROUBLE AHEAD!!"

• Like 3
17 hours ago, javajeanelaine said:

I missed that. It seems like an odd ultimatum. I can see a put a ring on it, but what does living together do? I don't see that as commitment. I suppose purchasing a home together is a commitment. I hope they had a real estate attorney set up what kind of joint ownership they had.

• Like 4

New Indianapolis.  Two real estate agents, Brandi, and Corey.  He's sensible about price, she's not. She wants modern, white kitchen, impress everyone. He grew up poor, and he wants a cheaper home. His bedget $800k, hers is $900k or more

House 1-new construction, 5900 sq ft, $778 base, but with upgrades $894,483. beautiful house, how can she say the rooms are small?  unfinished basement 

House 2-$799900, 6000 sq ft, it's not new, so she hates it.  It's brick, traditional, and she hates it. 5 bed 4.5 bath, hardwoods, she wants a 2 story foyer, and 2 story great room, and a huge dining room, I like him, but not her. screened porch is huge, with a hot tub, huge patios, and decks, lots of privacy, carpet in the bedrooms upstairs, but not grand enough for her.   Kids will have bedrooms with en suites. 2 stair cases.   breat family room/game room downstairs.  

House 3-Tudor.  $869k, I hate the outside, it's like a bunch of vertical kleenex boxes painted white.   A lot of outside steps to the front door, the movers will hate them.   2 story foyer, also has an outside basketball court.  very close to neighbors. 

They chose #1 . I would have bought #2.   I'm just glad they didn't #3 with the awful stairs.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

Rockland County, NY (Bergen County, NJ) Monique wants a grand home to impress people Mike wants cheaper.   She's a speech language pathologist, what a wonderful career that is.   His budget $500k, her budget is 600k$  .   She wants 4+ bedrooms to house their parents when they visit.  He wants a finished basement.

House 1-5 bed , 2.5 bath, Garnerville $599,000, $21,000 property tax annually.  I hate the front pillars.   2596 sq ft.   Hardwood floors, 2 living spaces, kitchen is nice with granite, updated appliances, cabinets look like solid wood. deck is lovely.   No room for a pool in the yard (unless you want it to have the water run out from the sloping ground).    baseboard heat. finished basement. 

House 2-in Haverstraw, NY, $450k, taxes $13k annually, updated colonial 3 bed 2.5 bath, hardwoods, all remodeled.   1 bath on first floor, 1 bath upstairs.  bedrooms are smaller.    basement looks like serial killers are lurking in it, waiting for victims. 

House 3-Blauvelt, NY, 5 bed, 2.5 bath, spit level ranch, with a pool, 2176 sq ft, $13k property taxes. $600k , granite in kitchen is nice, 3 bed 2 full baths, all updated on the upper split floor, downstairs are 2 more bedrooms, and they have carpet, and a family room with a huge bar (it needs remodeling badly). great walk out basement to patio.   

They picked #1 .   I would take # 3.  (I think she only wanted #1 because it would show how much they can pay for a house and taxes.   $22,000 a year is ridiculous.    #3 would have worked so well for them, and they could do a cosmetic overhaul of that in a few weekends, rip up the carpet, get the shelves off the wall, and some paint, and it would be fine). 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

A lot of outside steps to the front door, the movers will hate them. 

Eventually, so will their knees. And let's not forget...someone will have to shovel them, and I have a feeling it won't be her.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

As someone who knows next to nothing about Black women's hair, was the forehead wings the Indy woman had normal or stylish at the moment?

How to put this tactfully....It definitely is a look among some women in some circles and some regions in the US.

The young woman in the show tonight was driving me crazy and I was sorry to see her father caved and got the place downtown. She had a whole list of wants and seemingly little ability to pay for them. Her parents will be bankrolling her forever. 

• Like 4

What the hell is up with HGTV starting shows in primetime at 6 or more minutes after the hour? I tune in at 10 pm expecting to see HH and have to wait through too much David/Lottery Dream Home to get to it. 🤬

• Like 3
1 hour ago, readheaded said:

The young woman in the show tonight was driving me crazy and I was sorry to see her father caved and got the place downtown. She had a whole list of wants and seemingly little ability to pay for them. Her parents will be bankrolling her forever. 

I missed the beginning.  Did she have a job?  Going to school?  Agree that her demands were way strong!

It might be that the parents were happy to have her move out, too.😁

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
42 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I missed the beginning.  Did she have a job?  Going to school?  Agree that her demands were way strong!

It might be that the parents were happy to have her move out, too.😁

She said she was trying to "find herself" but was working as a personal trainer. 🙄

• Like 5
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

What the hell is up with HGTV starting shows in primetime at 6 or more minutes after the hour? I tune in at 10 pm expecting to see HH and have to wait through too much David/Lottery Dream Home to get to it. 🤬

It's because in the middle of the final screening show for Ugliest House, they had a five minute preview of Christina's show.    That screwed up the entire schedule.   So, it put HH and HHI behind by 5 or 6 minutes. 

I did a quick look at the daughter condo hunting.   I knew she would demand and get exactly what she wanted.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
7 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Liked the NY couple. The Indy pair could learn a lot from them. 

As someone who knows next to nothing about Black women's hair, was the forehead wings the Indy woman had normal or stylish at the moment?

It is called styling baby hairs or edges. This particular styling wasn’t that attractive (at least in my opinion) but there are some really gorgeous looks especially when it is done professionally as part of a red carpet look. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

She said she was trying to "find herself" but was working as a personal trainer. 🙄

A sad sign of the times. You go to college, maybe accumulate a lot of debt, and then you become a personal trainer. There just aren't as many opportunities for the college graduate to fall into a career that will give them a direction as there was 20 years ago. I'm guessing she has or will have a YouTube channel, too. The apartment will make a decent backdrop for filming.

The condo was kind of a cool place. The condo fees seemed way too high. I guess it costs to maintain that old building. Once she's out of there, her father will probably be able to jack up the rent and easily find tenants to pay it. 

I'm glad he's a hardass as a landlord.  Even she recognizes that it'll benefit her in the long run.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, mojito said:

I'm glad he's a hardass as a landlord.  Even she recognizes that it'll benefit her in the long run.

My perception is different. I think she had daddy (and mommy too) wrapped around her finger. I don't think he'll be a tough landlord, after all, she got her choice of place while he said his first choice was the townhouse. (I realize it's all scripted to pit preferences against each other). No outdoor space at all for the bigger than I thought puppy. They all kept saying "my dog Penny." Wonder if there's a friend/relative named Penny too.

• Like 2

(I think she only wanted #1 because it would show how much they can pay for a house and taxes.   $

And with electric baseboard heating, the utility bills will make an impression. (My first Chicago condo was a loft off the lake and it had forced air and baseboard heating, for emergencies, I guess. The manager warned me to use it only as a last resort!) So flash that bill, hon.

Condo dad was going to get his daughter the place she wanted. Because, clearly, he's hoping to use it to instill some financial discipline. Or what do the kids call it, adulting? LOL. He'll more than make back his investment. But it may not be for a long time!

• Like 4
5 hours ago, mojito said:

A sad sign of the times. You go to college, maybe accumulate a lot of debt, and then you become a personal trainer. There just aren't as many opportunities for the college graduate to fall into a career that will give them a direction as there was 20 years ago. I'm guessing she has or will have a YouTube channel, too. The apartment will make a decent backdrop for filming.

The condo was kind of a cool place. The condo fees seemed way too high. I guess it costs to maintain that old building. Once she's out of there, her father will probably be able to jack up the rent and easily find tenants to pay it. 

It would probably help if she had gone to college with a career in mind. It sucks that kids now have to largely decide what career they want to pursue early in college, but as I told my kids, pick something that has career prospects, go to a school that will require the least amount or no debt, graduate, and do that while you figure out if there's some other thing you might want to do. Whatever the case, be prepared to support yourself while you "find yourself."

We did and do allow our college grads to live at home after school, but only if they're working and saving money for a house or whatever. 

• Like 7

I didn't the Charlotte hunter was that bad at all. It's a different economic world out there. Sadly too many children have to sacrifice learning and growing to make money. That's how we end up with a money first, me second, people and empathy a diiiissstant fifth. At least.

• Like 2

Interesting the different takes on Charlotte house hunter. The fact that she didn't want roommate pinged for me- and I don't get that. A single person like her mid 20's, post-college could easily save thousands a year with a roommate splitting mortgage and utilities. Glad she had her family as a safety net, hope for her sake she's not getting so much help that it's slowing her independence. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, BAForever said:

The fact that she didn't want roommate pinged for me- and I don't get that.

Was she an only child? I am, and there is no way I'd have wanted a roommate at her age, heck at any age. I could see a close friend or relative maybe, but not someone I didn't already know.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Was she an only child? I am, and there is no way I'd have wanted a roommate at her age, heck at any age. I could see a close friend or relative maybe, but not someone I didn't already know.

That's funny chessiegirl, but agree if you're I'm not used to sharing living space prob not a good idea. I'm one of 8 children and had roommates at her age. Maybe housemate is a better term, or flatmate. If it's a house with multiple bathrooms- And, yes definately girls I already knew. At that stage in my life, I was pretty poor. 

Edited by BAForever
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Gods, yes -- same.  A friend and I moved in together after college, and cohabitation ruined the friendship (if we'd been smart and agreed we'd do it for one year to save up money and then live nearby, we'd probably still be friends).  It is NOT for me, and that was with a good friend; I cannot imagine having a random roommate.

• Like 8

Lots of kids need roommates after college because of housing costs.

I think she made the correct decision because who needs the hassle of finding roommates.

I also think the loft condo was fine with the father as an investment as well as the best first place for an apartment. There are always going to be young singles who want a hip first apartment.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, amarante said:

Lots of kids need roommates after college because of housing costs.

I didn't, as I'd chosen a place I could afford, I was just naive enough to think cutting my costs in half would be worth doing something I should have known wasn't right for either of us (freshmen weren't forced into dorms back in my day, so I'd always opted to live alone, as had she) so I could put so much more in savings and have more to spend, and help a friend who'd have had a hard time renting a decent place alone at that stage.

15 minutes ago, amarante said:

I think she made the correct decision because who needs the hassle of finding roommates.

Yes, and, fundamentally:  There are so many individual circumstances, there's no point in looking askance at anyone who says "I don't want a roommate", regardless of their age or how much they'd save with one -- if they don't want one, and have a way to make it work without, that's how they should proceed. 

• Like 3

@Bastet There are some housing markets like Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York City where it is literally impossible for even young adults to be able to afford their own apartment - hell even an apartment is unaffordable so it isn't a question of saving money - it is an impossibility. One of the reasons some kids have to live with parents in places like the Long Island or Jersey suburbs because of rental costs.

When I graduated,  I was able to rent a fabulous loft apartment on the outskirts of Greenwich Village with a panoramic view of Manhattan for the inflation adjusted rental of about $2500 month. That apartment would rent for $7000 or more at this point - out of reach for even relatively well paid young professionals starting out.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, amarante said:

There are some housing markets like Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York City where it is literally impossible for even young adults to be able to afford their own apartment - hell even an apartment is unaffordable so it isn't a question of saving money - it is an impossibility.

I'm in L.A., and this was back when it was possible with an entry level job, but my own story is incidental -- my only point in response to the issue first raised is that the HH had another way, and it's not some odd strike against her that she'd take that route instead of opting for a roommate; if someone else would rather save money by having a roommate, even though they didn't strictly have to, financially, great, but there's nothing wrong with someone who can and wants to avoid the roommate route doing so.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm in L.A., and this was back when it was possible with an entry level job, but my own story is incidental -- my only point in response to the issue first raised is that the HH had another way, and it's not some odd strike against her that she'd take that route instead of opting for a roommate; if someone else would rather save money by having a roommate, even though they didn't strictly have to, financially, great, but there's nothing wrong with someone who can and wants to avoid the roommate route doing so.

I totally agree with you as I would never opt to have a roommate if there was any alternative. I would especially not rent or buy a house that I couldn't afford and then have to find roommates. At that point it is equivalent to being a landlord and dealing with leases.

I would definitely not be criticizing whether someone right out of college wants a roommate or doesn't want a roommate. As I wrote economically sometimes kids have no choice and sometimes kids have friends and it is a support system to live with their old friends from college. But it is weird to criticize someone who doesn't want "strange" roommates" and is in a position to find an inexpensive place that was affordable on their own.

I can't imagine why anyone would criticize someone who specifically wanted an apartment they could afford on their own because it made sense logistically not to have to deal with strangers and also many people value their privacy and don't want to have to deal with someone else in their space when they come home.

• Like 3
On 1/5/2023 at 3:09 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

New Indianapolis.  Two real estate agents, Brandi, and Corey.  He's sensible about price, she's not. She wants modern, white kitchen, impress everyone. He grew up poor, and he wants a cheaper home. His bedget $800k, hers is $900k or more

House 1-new construction, 5900 sq ft, $778 base, but with upgrades $894,483. beautiful house, how can she say the rooms are small?  unfinished basement 

House 2-$799900, 6000 sq ft, it's not new, so she hates it.  It's brick, traditional, and she hates it. 5 bed 4.5 bath, hardwoods, she wants a 2 story foyer, and 2 story great room, and a huge dining room, I like him, but not her. screened porch is huge, with a hot tub, huge patios, and decks, lots of privacy, carpet in the bedrooms upstairs, but not grand enough for her.   Kids will have bedrooms with en suites. 2 stair cases.   breat family room/game room downstairs.  

House 3-Tudor.  $869k, I hate the outside, it's like a bunch of vertical kleenex boxes painted white.   A lot of outside steps to the front door, the movers will hate them.   2 story foyer, also has an outside basketball court.  very close to neighbors. 

They chose #1 . I would have bought #2.   I'm just glad they didn't #3 with the awful stairs.  

This wifey was too bougie for me...wanting a "grand" entrance; a "grand"  foyer; a "grand" staircase...good lord...I hope they don't have shell shock when they get their winter and summer air conditioning bills. Homes with those large empty floor to ceiling spaces can really be costly due to the energy costs of heating and cooling them.

Edited by Hedgehog2022
  • Like 7
  • LOL 1
On 1/7/2023 at 5:10 PM, amarante said:

I totally agree with you as I would never opt to have a roommate if there was any alternative. I would especially not rent or buy a house that I couldn't afford and then have to find roommates. At that point it is equivalent to being a landlord and dealing with leases.

I would definitely not be criticizing whether someone right out of college wants a roommate or doesn't want a roommate. As I wrote economically sometimes kids have no choice and sometimes kids have friends and it is a support system to live with their old friends from college. But it is weird to criticize someone who doesn't want "strange" roommates" and is in a position to find an inexpensive place that was affordable on their own.

I can't imagine why anyone would criticize someone who specifically wanted an apartment they could afford on their own because it made sense logistically not to have to deal with strangers and also many people value their privacy and don't want to have to deal with someone else in their space when they come home.

I wouldn't want roommates, either. For me, the issue with the young house hunter wasn't whether she had roommates or not, it was that she had lots of preferences/demands but wasn't truly able to afford much of anything without her parents propping her up. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1