Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: The Scratchmaker

After consuming the brain of the ultimate matchmaker, Liv is determined to find the perfect match for Major. Meanwhile, Blaine will stoop to any level to protect himself. Lastly, Don E contemplates an interesting offer.

Directed by Malcolm Goodwin

Promo:

Original air date: 6/6/19

Wow. This story may come to a conclusion! A lot happened in this ep. lots of exposition—not the easiest thing to direct. Don E was so good hoping for a girl. Heartbreaking. 

• Love 3

Did Liv even make a brain lunch this week? Although, I get that this was Blaine's "story" tonight.

Annoying reporter's actions make more sense now. She knew there would be more brains, except that another murdering criminal would be running it.

With the missing vials, I think there's still the potential for a mass cure being developed for the finale.

• Love 1

Hey, Stacy Boss is back!  And it turns out that the reporter was related to him, and this was all a ploy to get Blaine out of the picture, so he could run the show instead with Don E.  But thankfully Major found a way around that.  Still, even though it didn't work out, it was cool seeing Don E. finally trying to get away from Blaine, because he really has been his punching bag for way too long.

Loved seeing Stone again as well!  Ken Marino is a treasure!

Interesting having Liv/Clive/Ravi and the case be more of a B-plot this go around, and only check in periodically.  Matchmaker Liv did seem pretty fun at least.  And Ravi's offended reaction to her claiming she helped set him and Peyton up was perfect.

Clive now gets to sit in the captain's seat since Bozzio is taking leave.  Or, as I was thinking: "I guess Jessica Harmon is going to be needed for more scenes on The 100 for the next few weeks!"

I guess something is going to come out over that one solider guy being the son of Dolly/the anti-zombie Queen.

Definitely thinking the reason last week was Clive-lite was for Malcolm Goodwin to prep for his directorial work here.  I thought he did a good job.

So, now Blaine's next scheme is basically hunting down those kids and selling them to the highest bidder?  He truly is a living Chumbawamba song: he gets knocked down, but he gets up again.  You are never going keep him down!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, ketose said:

With the missing vials, I think there's still the potential for a mass cure being developed for the finale.

They were tossed into the water off a bridge, right? Maybe the vials are found and turned over and analyzed in a lab. Or maybe they break in the water and anyone who gets any water up their nose while swimming gets cured. Seattle will become like Lourdes.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, possibilities said:

They were tossed into the water off a bridge, right? Maybe the vials are found and turned over and analyzed in a lab. Or maybe they break in the water and anyone who gets any water up their nose while swimming gets cured. Seattle will become like Lourdes.

What they really need is something like "Daybreakers" where the cured people can "infect" others with the cure. So far, we don't have that because cured zombies can be rezombified immediately.

• Love 3

The reporter being Stacy's niece and working with him was a nice twist, it gives her a more interesting motive for doing what she did. I did love watching Don E finally taking a stand and taking some control from Blaine after being his lackey for so long. Of course Blaine is truly a cockroach and will always come back again, no matter how many times you crush me. 

Adding Ken Marino to an episode automatically makes it better. 

Not as much Liv and Ravi as I would want, but what we got was funny and pretty adorable, especially when matchmaker Liv was taking credit for Peyton and Ravi.

• Love 1

I have always liked the cast and thought they were decent actors, but has Ravi gotten more over the top?   It seems like he does more mugging and exaggerated reactions now, but I don't watch as carefully and consistently as I did the first few seasons, so I could be off in my observation.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, CCTC said:

I have always liked the cast and thought they were decent actors, but has Ravi gotten more over the top?   It seems like he does more mugging and exaggerated reactions now, but I don't watch as carefully and consistently as I did the first few seasons, so I could be off in my observation.

Ravi is the comic relief, he is the only character that hasn't overburdened themself additional duties, he still has the ability to enjoy himself and be carefree. Don E. used to be free, but now he has encumbered himself.

That stupid guy that threw the Zombie cure in the river, was he human or a zombie?

I'm always happy to see Vinnie Van Lowe!

A+ for the music choices this week too. Between The Gambler and Afternoon Delight, I was totally cracking up at how on the nose the songs were.

Although I am glad Clive and Dale are happy, I can't say I'm upset that she's being sidelined with pregnancy bed rest. I'm guessing that in the grand tradition of tv shows, she wil give birth in one of the final episodes so that Clive gets his happily ever after.

Al blunting telling Blaine what an average low life he is was a long time coming.

I'm glad that Don E. finally let go of his loyalty to Blaine. It would be one thing if that loyalty had been earned which would make it more understandable, but Blaine treats everyone around him like a disposable lackey. I'm not saying he has to be BFFs with all of his employees, but he could at least treat them with respect. I mean, Don E. gave him a safe place to stay and all Blaine could do was complain.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Ravi is the comic relief, he is the only character that hasn't overburdened themself additional duties, he still has the ability to enjoy himself and be carefree.

Ravi is trying to find a cure. If that isn't a burden, I don't know what is.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Ravi is the comic relief, he is the only character that hasn't overburdened themself additional duties, he still has the ability to enjoy himself and be carefree.

Maybe one or two fewer Dungeons & Dragons sessions might help him move a little faster towards that goal.

Tainted Utopium surfaced as a topic this episode.  Seems they are circling back to the original cure material.

5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

That stupid guy that threw the Zombie cure in the river, was he human or a zombie?

Zombie.  Don E hired and turned him to be his lackey so that he wasn't lowest man on the chain.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 6/7/2019 at 7:03 PM, dubbel zout said:

He’s also a part time zombie. That’s pretty burdensome, even though it’s used more for comedy relief.

plenty of Rob Thoms/VMars flashbacks-- you've got Ken Marino (Vinnie Van Lowe) -- the recording device in the pen trick-- and I just this week realized that Dolly (the leader in the anti-zombie movement) is the teacher who stole the senior trip money and tried to blame Tessa Thompson.

• Useful 2

I personally find Blaine's whole thing a bit stale. So, while I wasn't entirely glad to have an entire Blaine-centric episode, it was nice to see him get knocked down finally. He is just such scum. Any enjoyment I had in his gleeful sociopathy ended a while ago.

On 6/8/2019 at 8:55 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

A+ for the music choices this week too. Between The Gambler and Afternoon Delight, I was totally cracking up at how on the nose the songs were.

The music gave me a few chuckles tonight. The Gambler in particular I found had a dual-purpose. Major had gambled and won this hand but was also gambling with the city as a whole and it may just be time to "know when to run". 

• Love 1

Well I am just glad that someone FINALLY called Fillmore Graves out for what it is: a terrorist group.

I would so be on the anti-zombie side.  Terrorists conquered Seattle.  I think I'd be resentful if they did this and trapped me in there with them.

• Love 1

My question is that the spy in Renegade's group is  zombie pretending to be human right?  I thought that she eats with them, does she remember that she is pretending to be human all the time and give human reactions to everything.  And no one tried to give her the simple pulse/blood pressure check?  Isn't that like the easiest way to make sure the person is a zombie.

I am not quite sure why Liv's dad is so interested in Renegade's operation.  Is he trying to find the way out of the city to make zombies widespread?  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

My question is that the spy in Renegade's group is  zombie pretending to be human right?  I thought that she eats with them, does she remember that she is pretending to be human all the time and give human reactions to everything.  And no one tried to give her the simple pulse/blood pressure check?  Isn't that like the easiest way to make sure the person is a zombie.

I am not quite sure why Liv's dad is so interested in Renegade's operation.  Is he trying to find the way out of the city to make zombies widespread?  

I think you are right that she is zombie pretending to be human, because she was told that they would test her with a chili pepper (put in a drink?) and she had to pretend to react to it. But it is silly that they don't do a pulse/bp check.

I am really confused about what Liv's dad is trying to do.