Type keyword(s) to search

Father Brown - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, mjc570 said:

Season 9, Episode 8 (Wayward Girls)

This has to be my favorite episode ever.  No annoying Inspector Mallory, Mrs. McCarthy or Sid.  Instead, Sgt Goodfellow investigates, although (of course) it is Father Brown and Bunty who solve the case.  Speaking of Bunty - she is my favorite character, she brightens up every scene and, boy, she is absolutely stunning.

Where has her character been?  Do they say?

39 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

Season 9, Episode 8 (Wayward Girls)

This has to be my favorite episode ever.  No annoying Inspector Mallory, Mrs. McCarthy or Sid.  Instead, Sgt Goodfellow investigates, although (of course) it is Father Brown and Bunty who solve the case.  Speaking of Bunty - she is my favorite character, she brightens up every scene and, boy, she is absolutely stunning.

That sounds fabulous. I can't wail til it comes back to PBS.

No one mentioned 9;7 Island of Dreams! Lesley Nichol! Mrs. Patmore runs a creepy holiday camp. Good thing Mrs. McCarthy is visiting her sister, as there would have been serious hat wars! The episode reminded me of the Grantchester holiday camp episode, but there was something pitifully eerie about this camp setting. 
Agree that the eighth episode was a good one. Although, I was so sorry for those poor girls being strung along by the punitive, capricious whims of the woman in charge. And exactly how long did her second think she’d get away with selling the released girls into indentured servitude? The ending wedding scene was worth watching again. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I just started binge watching this show a week ago and am wondering why Mallory has to be increasingly unpleasant? There are issues I have with other characters (looking at you Mrs. McCarthy) but Mallory is odious. I am on season 6 episode 1.

• Love 9

Mallory is more overtly hostile to Fr. Brown than Valentine or Sullivan. They both found the Father annoying but somewhat endearing. Mallory is a truly bad detective, always going for the path of least resistance and getting angry when anyone challenges him. I suspect that's why he's so nasty to Fr. Brown. He knows he's a terrible detective and he's mad that he keeps getting shown up.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Daff said:

No one mentioned 9;7 Island of Dreams! Lesley Nichol! Mrs. Patmore runs a creepy holiday camp. Good thing Mrs. McCarthy is visiting her sister, as there would have been serious hat wars! The episode reminded me of the Grantchester holiday camp episode, but there was something pitifully eerie about this camp setting. 
Agree that the eighth episode was a good one. Although, I was so sorry for those poor girls being strung along by the punitive, capricious whims of the woman in charge. And exactly how long did her second think she’d get away with selling the released girls into indentured servitude? The ending wedding scene was worth watching again. 

I enjoyed both of these episodes. Loved seeing Bunty again in the Wayward Girls episode. I also really liked the actress playing Brenda in that one. She played really well with Bunty.

I get BritBox on Amazon here in the US, and so far, they only have episodes 1-8 of season 9 :-(

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Mallory is more overtly hostile to Fr. Brown than Valentine or Sullivan. They both found the Father annoying but somewhat endearing. Mallory is a truly bad detective, always going for the path of least resistance and getting angry when anyone challenges him. I suspect that's why he's so nasty to Fr. Brown. He knows he's a terrible detective and he's mad that he keeps getting shown up.

Yeah, he arrests practically the first person to cross his path every time.  He is not only an idiot but is just nasty.  I wouldn't mind some conflict with Fr Brown's help, but there is no reason to be so hateful.  I really wish they would get rid of him.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Suzn said:

Yeah, he arrests practically the first person to cross his path every time.  He is not only an idiot but is just nasty.  I wouldn't mind some conflict with Fr Brown's help, but there is no reason to be so hateful.  I really wish they would get rid of him.

So do I. He's not even comedy relief. He's just stupid and nasty.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

So do I. He's not even comedy relief. He's just stupid and nasty.

He (Insp Mallory) is so cartoonish here, it is almost surreal to see him play a decent cop (Silent Witness, DCI Banks to name a few).  Obviously, a good actor, not great writing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, mjc570 said:

He (Insp Mallory) is so cartoonish here, it is almost surreal to see him play a decent cop (Silent Witness, DCI Banks to name a few).  Obviously, a good actor, not great writing.

Cartoonish really is the best word to describe him in Father Brown.  I've seen him in DCI Banks and actually enjoyed his character there!

• Love 5
On 2/9/2022 at 8:41 PM, mjc570 said:

Agreed! I found the episode so pleasant and I knew it was because Inspector "Padre" Mallory wasn't in it. Then after coming here and realizing Mrs McCarthy wasn't in it either and I knew I didn't miss her as well. Her moralizing and judgmental attitude would have just gotten on my nerves, so happy she wasn't there. If they made Goodfellow the new inspector and he actually worked with Father Brown, although he'd have to spout the party line "Father please stay out of this investigation" while winking like I'll call you. I'd enjoy that very much. 

Mallory has become unbearable and unpleasant, and he is a terrible detective! How did he get promoted! The other 2 inspectors were more enjoyable with Father Brown even though he did get on their nerves.

Maybe to keep the show fresher, we need someone like Goodfellow in charge. I won't be mad if the change it up a little bit if they keep the show going. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, msani19 said:

Maybe to keep the show fresher, we need someone like Goodfellow in charge. I won't be mad if the change it up a little bit if they keep the show going. 

I'd love to see Goodfellow in charge. He is a much better investigator than Mallory.

• Love 8
On 2/11/2022 at 10:22 AM, Gillian Rosh said:

I get BritBox on Amazon here in the US, and so far, they only have episodes 1-8 of season 9 :-(

I do, as well. According to IMDb, there are two more to go, but they seem to be dropping daily rather than weekly. 

• Love 1
On 2/11/2022 at 10:17 AM, Gillian Rosh said:

This series wasn’t Valentine’s first gig playing sheriff (cop, the law) to a clerical detective. His first was Brother Cadfael. Very young, very handsome. I’ve seen Mallory elsewhere as well. The voice he’s using is affected-why??? Are they trying to play him as “campy, mustache-twirling villain”? It just doesn’t play well at all, or even that way! He hates the job, the officers, the residents, so why not quit and do something he likes (IS there anything he likes?). 

• Love 3

I take back what I said about episodes 9 and 10. They haven’t appeared yet. However, the new series spinoff with Sister Bonaface (S1;E6) as sleuth has appeared (Britbox through Prime). New episodes weekly. 
Just re-watched 1;6, “The Bride of Christ” to refresh my memory. So many familiar actresses. The sweet costumer from Shakespeare & Hathaway plays an evil-hearted nun, and Doc Martin’s pharmacist gets to play a sane, supportive nun (she turns up in everything, doesn’t she?). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Just re-watched 1:6 as well.  Will watch Sister Boniface later today.  Thanks for the heads up!!!!

Someone should probably make a new forum for the new show. Same formula as FB, same great settings/scenery, similar character profiles, but a bit farcical. Plays like Agatha Raisin. 
Does this mean FB is done after the 9th season? Someone say it ain’t so!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Daff said:

Someone should probably make a new forum for the new show. Same formula as FB, same great settings/scenery, similar character profiles, but a bit farcical. Plays like Agatha Raisin. 
Does this mean FB is done after the 9th season? Someone say it ain’t so!

I watched two episodes of Sister Boniface, and it's not grabbing me.  I'm not sure if this is the last season of Father Brown, but it seems to be running out of plot lines.  :-(

Here's how to request a new forum; anyone can do it.

• Love 1

After seeing the holiday camp episodes of FB and "Grantchester," I have to ask -- are they still a "thing" in the UK? I'm trying to think if there was ever a US equivalent--maybe those resorts in the Catskills (as seen in "Mrs. Maisel") or dude ranches? I guess the modern-day equivalent would be all-inclusive resorts in tropical areas, or perhaps spas.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

S9E10:
I could barely sit through this.  I don't know, but I have less than zero interest in these obnoxious, entitled rich people.  As soon as I saw the doctor, I knew he would be holding some woman (white of course) hostage.   I thought inviting Sid as a guest was ridiculous.  The only thing I like - which I wouldn't have anticipated - was Insp. Mallory, who was actually funny, and honest with Sgt. Goodfellow that he didn't want to lose him.  

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, EATherrian said:

Is that the finale?

It's definitely the finale of Season 9.  I've not found any confirmation of a Season 10.

I enjoyed the shows for many years, but it's just gotten really tired.  Kembleford has become the Gilligan's Island of modern TV.  Every week, there is something going on that doesn't make sense in a tiny village in the middle of England.

And Sid's scruffy look is NOT appealing.  LOL.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I am new to this show and not particularly religious (agnostic) but for a formulaic "whodunit" it was fine. Flambeau episodes are my favorites. I feel as if Flambeau being enamored with Lady Felicia came out of nowhere. I mean even in season 9 when he asked her to run away with him. 

In the episode where the hot Russian guy wanted his stolen family necklace back from Lady Felicia, I sort of sided with him. There are many instances where I sort of felt as if the Father Brown gang were a bit judgmental and not nuanced.

I will stop there because it is sounding as if I hate the show. It is an ok-enough for me to watch another season if given the chance, especially if Goodfellow becomes an inspector.

I liked that the whole team was together in the episode. Is this the first time we've actually seen Monty? I may have just missed that in other episodes if he has shown up. Other than that, it was a pretty standard episode. I think I've watched this other and other crimes dramas so much, I'm getting good at picking the murderer earlier. 

1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

I feel as if Flambeau being enamored with Lady Felicia came out of nowhere.

I think that they went from a 0 to 60 on this one. They found each other attractive and interesting, but to run away, fly to New York and elope seemed like a stretch to me and kind of silly. 

I'd love Goodfellow to have a meteoric rise and take over from Mallory. He's so cartoonish, I just roll my eyes at him. I don't even get a sense that the actor is even having a blast playing him this way. 

I do think the show's been on so long now, it's getting weird. Why is Kembleford essentially the most exciting place and active in England? Makes me laugh. On tv, all murders all happen in very specific places. 

• Love 3

Season Finale and 100th Episode.

Agree, Sid looks really rough. Not a good look for him at all.

Fr Brown had a nothing cameo on Sr Boniface. I thought he looked TERRIBLE and was a bit worried until I realized he was supposed to be 10-15 years older.  Boniface takes place in the 1960s!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, msani19 said:

I do think the show's been on so long now, it's getting weird. Why is Kembleford essentially the most exciting place and active in England? Makes me laugh. On tv, all murders all happen in very specific places. 

Kembleford still has nothing on Midsommer for per capita murder I think.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, EATherrian said:

Kembleford still has nothing on Midsommer for per capita murder I think.

As lovely as Midsomer looks, I wouldn't set foot in there! I probably wouldn't even want to drive through it!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 2/12/2022 at 12:15 AM, msani19 said:

If they made Goodfellow the new inspector and he actually worked with Father Brown, although he'd have to spout the party line "Father please stay out of this investigation" while winking like I'll call you. I'd enjoy that very much. 

I hope that Goodfellow takes and passes the Inspectors' Exam and replaces Mallory next season.  There have been two previous inspectors and they have both had an adversarial relationship with Father Brown, but they were both competent. Mallory is just  obnoxious. His in increasingly turning into a caricature of a bumbling detective. I can't stand watching him.

1 hour ago, msani19 said:

I liked that the whole team was together in the episode. Is this the first time we've actually seen Monty?

Yes, I believe that it is.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That's Death in Paradise, right? Jeez what's the per capita murder rate on that tiny island?

I just pretend that the flights and hotels must be dirt cheap, so tourists are willing to roll the dice lol 

• LOL 8
15 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Agree, Sid looks really rough. Not a good look for him at all.

Fr Brown had a nothing cameo on Sr Boniface. I thought he looked TERRIBLE and was a bit worried until I realized he was supposed to be 10-15 years older.  Boniface takes place in the 1960s!

Thank you! His demeanor and appearance shocked me, too. Then I went to FB and finished up the last two episodes of the season-watching him cycling and actually running! The contrast was jarring. 

• Love 1

I really enjoyed it. Loved seeing everyone together again. If that was the series finale, it was a solid sendoff. And I do hope Goodfellow takes his investigator exams and replaces that sour Mallory.

Agreed, although I do enjoy the chemistry between them.

As soon as I saw the doctor, I knew he would be holding some woman (white of course) hostage. 

This bugged me. This show - and others - need to let that trope die.

• Love 4
On 1/27/2022 at 2:56 PM, Suzn said:

Also, Mrs McCarthy is more annoying than usual.

I didn't make it through episode 5 because she was being so awful that even Father Brown should've had enough. Writing in a complaint that the butcher's shop had rats based on some idle rumors? Ugh! The butcher shouldn't have given in at the end by allowing her to shop there again.

On 2/16/2022 at 9:41 AM, Enigma X said:

Flambeau episodes are my favorites.

Ha, I'm the opposite because the only Flambeau episodes I've enjoyed are the ones with Lady Felicia.

• Love 5
On 2/16/2022 at 12:02 PM, msani19 said:

I liked that the whole team was together in the episode. Is this the first time we've actually seen Monty?

On 2/16/2022 at 1:28 PM, ShelleySue said:

Yes, I believe that it is.

I had to do a double-take, because I assumed we'd never see him!

• Love 1
On 2/16/2022 at 12:02 PM, msani19 said:
On 2/16/2022 at 9:41 AM, Enigma X said:

I think that they went from a 0 to 60 on this one. They found each other attractive and interesting, but to run away, fly to New York and elope seemed like a stretch to me and kind of silly. 

I finally watched ep10 and I agree that this subplot could've used a few more episodes to develop if that's the direction they wanted to go in.

I also thought it was odd that the Monty we saw here didn't seem to match the one we've been hearing about. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I got the impression that in addition to having multiple affairs, he was fond of jetsetting and wasn't great with money. In this episode, his biggest failing was that he was working so much that he'd been neglecting his marriage. Considering how unhappy we've seen Lady Felicia with her marriage across multiple seasons, I wish the show had followed through by having her leave him. It would've been interesting seeing her adjusting to a separation and maybe eventually a divorce, but I guess this was the easiest route since she's not a regular anymore.

• Love 1

Off topic, regarding actors in other roles-just watched the first episode of Murder in Provence. Nancy Carroll (Lady Felicia), Roger Allam, and Patricia Hodge (plays the mother of Carroll’s character) were familiar faces, but I’m not sure what to make of it. Scenery was interesting, as the characters were filmed walking along the streets of Aix. They included some backstory, connecting these three. It’s a Britbox original production. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I just watched the episode when Sgt. Goodfellow sees Mallory plant the knife at the crime scene and two things jump right out:  Where's Bunty and why is Sid back?  The last we saw of him he was leaving with his girlfriend to live on a barge, floating down the river.

It's bizarre how characters just stop appearing without any context--just like when Sid was no longer on the show and a couple of episodes later Father Brown and Mrs. McCarthy casually talk about Sid's being released from prison.  WTF?  Is Bunty going to suddenly show up a couple episodes in having joined the nunnery?

And this idea that Sid's an irresistible ladies man needs to stop.  I can buy him being able to talk to people and win them over but trying to portray him a Lothario is cringe-worthy.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

And this idea that Sid's an irresistible ladies man needs to stop.  I can buy him being able to talk to people and win them over but trying to portray him a Lothario is cringe-worthy.

Especially with that scrungy growth on his face.  Any man who looked like that in the Father Brown era would have been assumed to be out of a job, drunk, or too lazy to maintain hygiene practices.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

My DH and I were watching TV last night and they were advertising a reunion of all the actors that were in Harry Potter. I look at my husband and go "Was Father Brown in Harry Potter?" and he says he didn't think so. I googled it. Holy shit! He was Arthur Weasley! We were dumbfounded because we're usually really good at spotting actors from the various things we've seen them in. Damn.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My DH and I were watching TV last night and they were advertising a reunion of all the actors that were in Harry Potter. I look at my husband and go "Was Father Brown in Harry Potter?" and he says he didn't think so. I googled it. Holy shit! He was Arthur Weasley! We were dumbfounded because we're usually really good at spotting actors from the various things we've seen them in. Damn.

LOL.  As an avid Harry Potter fan, I am amazed that you didn't know he was Arthur Weasley!!!!  

I'm like you in that I like to read IMDB to find out what actors in any given episode were in another show.  It's sometimes shocking.  We watch Ozark on Netflix, and I almost fell over when I realized that Jacob Snell on Ozark was in a couple of Harry Potter movies . . . he played Yaxley one of the death eaters.  Had no idea he was Irish!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

LOL.  As an avid Harry Potter fan, I am amazed that you didn't know he was Arthur Weasley!!!!  

I'm like you in that I like to read IMDB to find out what actors in any given episode were in another show.  It's sometimes shocking.  We watch Ozark on Netflix, and I almost fell over when I realized that Jacob Snell on Ozark was in a couple of Harry Potter movies . . . he played Yaxley one of the death eaters.  Had no idea he was Irish!!!

It was just so unlike us! We were gobsmacked. 

• LOL 1
On 2/17/2022 at 4:32 PM, krankydoodle said:

I didn't make it through episode 5 because she was being so awful that even Father Brown should've had enough. Writing in a complaint that the butcher's shop had rats based on some idle rumors? Ugh! The butcher shouldn't have given in at the end by allowing her to shop there again.

In the previous seasons, Mrs. McCarthy had always came off as a gossiping busybody but she was never actually malicious.  To find out that she's deliberately writing letters trying to destroy people's livelihoods was shocking.  And I know Ruby was a murderer but I kind of enjoyed watching Mrs. M in actual fear for her life--serves her right for being so willfully destructive.  

• Love 5