Type keyword(s) to search

Bob's Burgers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I will give them a little credit for copping to Gene being a bit much, which was what the song was about. However, he kind of learned that last time with Linda's business group, and there's serious boundary issues with reading Tina's diary and messing with Louise's toys. I could see if he tried cooking again or something, and made a mess of the kitchen. 

• Love 4

This episode leaves me with two questions:

1) He found Linda's phone. Is Bob not in it under "Bob"?

2) How old is Gene supposed to be and am I right in thinking even though this show has done multiple (pick an annual holiday episodes) the kids are essentially presented as not actually aging?

• Love 1

I know it's a cheat, but I'm ok with them waving that Gene got panicky and didn't think to check the contacts. He might even know how to. 

I don't think the kids age because Tina is still on the cusp of believing in Santa. I would guess he's in 6th grade. 

Normally I love Gene but giving him the creepy momma's boy plots just make me love him less. Temporarily of course, and this one really wasn't that bad. Poor Gene, even Ken has better things to do then talk to him. 

Of course Louise goes on the errand where there could be a murderer. "Is that a butter knife?" "You butter believe it." I think Louise could take an internet killer, with or without a butter knife and cheese grater. 

Tina and Linda at the store was fun, and I am glad they helped clean up AND Tina got real actual shoes. Shoes without toes or bloody band aides or anything. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

This episode leaves me with two questions:

1) He found Linda's phone. Is Bob not in it under "Bob"?

2) How old is Gene supposed to be and am I right in thinking even though this show has done multiple (pick an annual holiday episodes) the kids are essentially presented as not actually aging?

1) In "Torpedo" (season 1, episode 13) Gene couldn't remember the name of the restaurant and called it "Dad's Burgers", so he probably doesn't know, just like Teddy thinks the family's last name is "Burgers".

2) Gene's 11 and just like The Simpson's nobody is going to age.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Popples said:

2) Gene's 11 and just like The Simpson's nobody is going to age.

I thought I vaguely remembered that they’re in 4th, 6th, and 8th grade, so that fits. 

And also like The Simpsons, we occasionally see their younger selves in flashbacks and photos. 

• Love 1

What I noticed most of all in this ep, Teddy was less needy and more capable. He really knew how to take down the hood and install the new one without destroying anything. I like that. I hope they keep it that way.

• Love 5

I had to chuckle that Gene knew that the Montreal Film Festival existed. As someone who lives here, it made me wonder why “Ken” would even waste his time submitted his short film here because the festival is a financial disaster.  (That and the comment about the bagels made me think a writer spent some time here.)

That said, the “Gene is a mama’s boy! Let us remind you of that quirk!” Is getting old fast. 

10 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't think he's ever really been bad at his job except when he burned down the gazebo, but he even said before that he doesn't do electrical. 

Yeah, when Teddy is on the job as a handyman, he's perfectly fine. It's when he's off the clock is when he's needy and needs some hand holding.

On 3/15/2021 at 7:50 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I thought I vaguely remembered that they’re in 4th, 6th, and 8th grade, so that fits. 

And much like later years of the Simpsons, all the kids are being treated like they're in the same grade anyway.

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

And much like later years of the Simpsons, all the kids are being treated like they're in the same grade anyway.

You mean that like each kid is in the same grade over the course of the series, right?  Not like all siblings are in the same grade?    In the Simpsons, isn’t it canon that Bart is in 4th and Lisa is in 2nd? Or did they change that up and I didn’t catch it?  We can take this to the Simpson’s thread if I’m dragging things off topic. 

I don't mind the kids being in the same grade part the course of the series for the most part. I would like if the show hits 200 or 250 episodes they could have them level up. 

I think they're dropping the ball with Tina still believing in Santa though. Her and maybe Zeke and Jimmy Jr knowing the deal while the other kids don't just seems to open up more plots. 

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

Yeah, when Teddy is on the job as a handyman, he's perfectly fine. It's when he's off the clock is when he's needy and needs some hand holding.

He actually gets along well and is respected by the kids. I think he just needs a hobby or a pet bird. Maybe he'll take a vacation to Alaska and meet some new friends! 

• Love 1

Neighbor: How The West Was Spun

woolen western wear

Exterminator: Eyes on The Flies

Burger(s) of The Day: Graters of The Sauced Havart(i) Burger

Tammy deserved that hair pulling for calling horses boring zebras.

What'd I tell you about Teddy? He has an improv class and he's needy because he needs Bob to yell out "underpants" for him. And going with chicken wings was the best ending. 

"The more I listen, the more your life doesn't make sense." Same, random grocery cashier, same.

"My butt is sore from all my homework farts." Same, Gene, same.

Linda was every right to be mad at the kids for getting detention...and then the day just kept getting worse for her. Love how public defecation was the worst crime for everyone.

• Love 4

She was in the bushes (so clearly trying to find privacy) and a cursory glance would show the arresting officer that the nearest toilet was out of order. Which makes me think said officer was being a dick. Let Linda off with a warning, we're all human. Shit (literally) happens.

• Love 10

I'm with Tina on this one, saying that horses are just boring zebras are fighting words. This was just a real Day for the Belchers, even more so than usual. It was...dare I say...a shitty day?

At least Gene learned a fun new word. "Defecation defecation defecation, do I use it in church?" 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I'm starting to wonder if it's not time for Bob to retire and go off into the sunset. It seems like they're starting to Flanderize the Belchers: Linda poops anywhere; Gene eats garbage off the floor & has increasingly oedipal issues; Louise is a sociopath who always ends up doing the right thing; Tina's a budding sexual predator.

Plus, the episodes this season have been kind of gross. We had everyone getting worms in one episode because Gene ate food off the floor of a public restroom; Gene had food poisoning with resultant diarrhea and vomiting because he ate spoiled food; Linda publicly defecated. 

• Love 5

I think they have enough in the tank for a while more. Gene home alone was a bit much, but the plots of the shoe store and getting the hood were funny. I think they're better off when the kids go on adventures, and the plots expand to include people in the town. Like when Bob had the food stand at the xmas wharf event for the country club. 

I'd also have more 'wins' for the restaurant. The Valentines day idea to stay open for people who forgot to make reservations turned out well for them. 

For family episodes, the the road trip to get the photo and the race to the skating rink were both funny. 

• Love 5

And Bob's trans friends. 

They've done an exceptional job with the outside the family character development, so you really don't want to drop that. 

We haven't sen Fishoeder in a while either. 

Again, something like the road trip to return the snake is a good example. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 3

I actually think the Gene alone at home story was a really smart move on the writers' part, because Gene is exactly the age when many kids start being trusted to stay at home alone. I know a lot of us (myself included) were younger than 11, but for Gene it is generally speaking a perfectly appropriate time to start. Most people agree kids can start babysitting at 12, like Tina is trusted to do for her siblings. So all in all this was a very age-appropriate development for Gene.

• Love 2

One problem was more that the episode came on the heels of a previously Gene-focused over the top episode. Within the episode, his lack of boundaries was problematic. He was reading Tina's diary. Even Gene knows that's not right. When they do Gene centered stuff, they amp him up way too much than they need to. 

• Love 3

Neighbor: Yes-tary 

Positive Notary

Exterminator: The Young and The Pestless

Burger(s) of The Day:  The Pecorino on Someone Your Own Size Burger, The Two(?) Cheeks To The Wind Burger

"Raw pube power is what got us to the moon!" Oh, Gene. He's much better as a one-liner machine.

I really liked the cocky power trip Frond was on about the dunk tank. He really does let what few advantages he gets over the kids go to his head. I love how Mr. Braca was so invested in it.

Crushing on a recording of a boy on a Spanish tape from the 80s? And then purposefully flunking a quiz to keep listening to the tapes? This is peak desperation, Tina. At least Bruce The Goose was a goose. And the fake ghost she invented, and then fell for? This is sadder. I liked Gene and Louise taping over it to snap her out of it...but Tina still purposefully flunked the test.

• Love 4

Tina wasn't actually bad a spanish though. The teacher said her quiz scores went down, and she said it was because she was in a funk. I can buy taking the extra hour a day, plus she was invested in Rodrigo to bump her skills. 

I mean, I took spanish in 8th grade. It's really basic. She wasn't reading Don Quixote. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I was so glad the show let Tina dunk Frond! It's a small win but I'll take it

I think we need some backstory on Mr. Ambrose. Or at least let's see him in an actual plot. He was definitely critical to "Topsy" 

I laughed when he asked for his laptop. Good on Tina!

And I love Mr Ambrose, maybe it’s because we don’t get him in ever episode.

• Love 1

Nice to have a story at the school again, its been a little bit. Mr. Frond sure did become a dump punk. "My phone is drowning!" 

Oh Tina, falling in love with a voice on an old Spanish language tape from the 80s? This is even sadder them when Tina fell in love with a ghost. At least Rodrigo helped her knock Mr. Frond into the water, she really needed that win. Seeing an adult wet is so satisfying. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I was really hoping for some more Zeke content this episode, I have been terribly deprived of it lately.

We've had a few family centered and Gene centered episodes, but I think we're due for just a kids' adventure episode again. 

• Love 4

I loved Mr. Frond's trash talk. I was kind of hoping that no one would dunk him, so he could get a win. I know we're supposed to "hate" Mr. Frond, but I feel sorry for him. I don't like it when characters exist just to be shit on (Meg, from "Family Guy," Jerry from "Rick & Morty," even Klaus from "American Dad"), and I think they do it to Mr. Frond a lot. I'm not saying he doesn't have his issues, but mostly I think he's just a sad, lonely guy who feels lost in the world of smarter, more savvy people. I mean, when a 9-year-old is smarter than you, that's got to hurt.

I'm tired of Tina's unrequited, creepy crushes, but I did get a kick out of the fantasy world she created with Rodrigo.

I didn't get why Linda was so over-the-top about the water booth. It's not like they were selling the water, just giving it out. And if the kids' mouths were burning from the chili, water was not the thing to help alleviate it; milk or bread would have been better choices.

• Love 1

Do you not know Linda? Everything is a show. Don't forget though, when she was on the phone in the kitchen, getting the booth was a promotion for them because for previous fairs they were behind the scenes taking out the garbage or something.

Anyone notice the tv/radio unit in the kitchen? We had one in like the 80s. Such a perfect detail for the show. 

• Love 4

Neighbor: Billy's Eyelash Accessories

Exterminator: A Simple Mouse-Understanding

Burger(s) of The Day: The Groove is in The Chard Burger, Step Up 2: The Beets Burger

It was nice to see Tina tell a story through noir. And the whole crutch was a...finger dancing burlesque? Handy Prancing? A version of Footloose? That's was weird. But ultimately cute. Gene had a talent for it, but he didn't want to keep missing lunch.

"Is this like the time you couldn’t get your underwear off, because I’m not helping you again. You need to buy bigger underwear." Yeah, Teddy is sad. But he's dating Kathleen! He's moving up in the world!

Of course Bob would use an elaborate vest to sneak in burgers. He's right, you don't want soggy buns. But his idea was way better than Linda's armpit holders. It seemed like a rethread of Spiceps vs the Spice Rack.

It was good seeing Regular-Sized Rudy again. And Millie came back, and was still creepy for making a Handy Prancer of Louise. "No, THIS is a finger!" to Frond was absolutely savage, though. 

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

It was nice to see Tina tell a story through noir. And the whole crutch was a...finger dancing burlesque? Handy Prancing? A version of Footloose? That's was weird. But ultimately cute. Gene had a talent for it, but he didn't want to keep missing lunch.

I have to appreciate that the whole premise only works if you live in a universe where people only have four fingers. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

"No, THIS is a finger!" to Frond was absolutely savage, though. 

I laughed so hard I almost plotzed. Gotta love a show that brings in Molly Shannon for maybe two lines that still kill.

I did not see the Gene revelation coming, I figured Mr. Frond just followed Tina into the boiler room.

Hopefully a Louise-centric episode is coming up, we've haven't really had one this season. All her storylines have been shared with her siblings.

• Love 7

I was just saying we needed a kids adventure! What a weird brilliant plot. 

I have to give Frond credit. He is sharp enough to know when the popular kids were hanging out with the 'regulars'. 

And Louise with a big top hat! 

Did anyone used to buy candy at CVS and bring it into the movies? 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I have to appreciate that the whole premise only works if you live in a universe where people only have four fingers. 

For this purpose, yes, but it really is a whole thing. Plenty of videos on YouTube and TikTok. Example:

• Useful 5
  • Love 1

I loved that even Tina's hand falls down a lot. I absolutely did not see that Gene was the one to spill the beans coming, but since the Handsy-Dancing takes place at lunchtime, it makes complete sense.

11 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Did anyone used to buy candy at CVS and bring it into the movies? 

Two of the movie theaters closest to me have Targets in the same shopping center, so I hit that up first.

• Love 3