Type keyword(s) to search

Season 21 Spoilers and Speculation: "What are we gonna proceed to? What are we gonna do?"

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, illdoc said:

Lord, help us: From "Ask Matt" on TVLine: Hello! Any news about SVU will be welcome. —Sú
Just as we went to press, I learned that Amy Hargreaves (Homeland, 13 Reasons Why) will guest-star on the history-making NBC drama this fall as Dr. Alexis Hanover, a psychologist tasked with teaching a new police interview technique to the squad. And to do so, she will ask each detective to play the role of witness and recall a past trauma in their lives….

This will give Benson plenty of screentime, up close and personal.  Show's never going to stop milking the William Lewis saga.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, dttruman said:
9 hours ago, illdoc said:

Lord, help us: From "Ask Matt" on TVLine: Hello! Any news about SVU will be welcome. —Sú
Just as we went to press, I learned that Amy Hargreaves (Homeland, 13 Reasons Why) will guest-star on the history-making NBC drama this fall as Dr. Alexis Hanover, a psychologist tasked with teaching a new police interview technique to the squad. And to do so, she will ask each detective to play the role of witness and recall a past trauma in their lives….

You know what that means, don't you?

The return of William Lewis flashbacks? Or when Noah was kidnapped those five times? Or [insert every other traumatic moment in Olivia's life].

Rollins will round out the rest of the dramatic angst (sister, mother, gambling, baby, douchey Harry Hamlin and his bad accent), and the first five minutes will be all about how tragic it was that Carisi always got picked last for school teams and he will disappear and never be seen again. 

• Love 3
On 8/22/2019 at 2:36 AM, Fellaway said:

Mariska said it would happen and she wouldn't lie to us, would she?  ☺️  I think RE is happy doing what he's doing, but, with Leight back, it seems more likely he might revisit SVU.  I'd like to see Barba again, but there's no reasoning out what he did in Undiscovered Country for me.  That was jump the shark territory.  

Yes, I'm hoping for a return of the smart, competent, empathetic Carisi, who was allowed to do things before Leight left.  Leight created him and, not surprisingly, Carisi's heyday was during the Leight years, so, yeah, call me crazy, but I'm hopeful.  It will be interesting to see what Leight does, not just with Carisi but with the whole framework the show has fallen into during his absence.  I can't imagine he'd leave it the way it's been, if given the choice.  I guess we'll see how much power as showrunner they'll allow him.

Yecch.  Me, I say they should put a moratorium on Benson's and Rollins' personal lives till Carisi and Fin are allowed to catch up.

Of course, that's a pipe dream. We are supposed to see Benson and Rollins as this generation's Cagney and Lacey. Blecccch...

• Love 3

I have a feeling Leight is going to shake things up.

He will have Rollins and Carisi falling in love and getting married, but not before Rollins has a sex change to feel better about herself. Carisi's sympathetic love for Rollins compels him to also get a sex change so that the children will have a mother and father.

Benson has a show down with the gov't concerning gun violence. Noah, while playing with Benson's handgun, shoots and kills 5 people. She will claim it is not her fault or Noah's, but the gov't, for not having stricter gun laws.

Fin accepts a dare and appears on America's Got Talent and finds out he has a capacity for rapping. He wins AGT and goes to Vegas and has a successful career.

• LOL 6
On 8/11/2019 at 11:01 PM, dttruman said:

Just getting done watching an episode of SVU on the USA network from 10pm -11pm. They had a marathon of episodes and the cast were answering 21 questions. What struck me funny was that when they were thanking the fans, Hargitay thanked the fans for watching, for their loyalty and (here is the one that got me) she thank them for their "tolerance". Is this her way of saying, "Yay, I know some of them (episodes) sucked"?

Did anyone else notice that also?

I found this on Youtube, and it starts at the 8:05 mark. What do you think?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/24/2019 at 6:07 PM, dttruman said:

Fin accepts a dare and appears on America's Got Talent and finds out he has a capacity for rapping. He wins AGT and goes to Vegas and has a successful career.

I'd watch a show about Fin in Vegas. 😂

• Love 3
On 8/11/2019 at 8:28 PM, dttruman said:

I jumped ahead also and saw these titles for the upcoming episodes.

(From Fandom)

1. I'm Going to Make You a Star

2. The Darkest Journey Home

3. Low Down in Hell's Kitchen (Noah character is mentioned) So this one will probably be all     Benson

4. The Burden of Our Choices

Why do even the show's episode titles have to be dorky? 😝

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

Why do even the show's episode titles have to be dorky? 😝

As I said above, probably because Leight has this ridiculous tradition of having the letter count in the episode titles match the season. All those listed above your response have 21 letters. He did the same in prior seasons when he was there, as well.

The practice stopped when he left; now it is starting up again.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

As I said above, probably because Leight has this ridiculous tradition of having the letter count in the episode titles match the season. All those listed above your response have 21 letters. He did the same in prior seasons when he was there, as well.

The practice stopped when he left; now it is starting up again.

Too bad he doesn't seem to care nearly as much about the QUALITY of the episodes themselves. Whatever. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, bobalina said:

Are we sure it's the last season?

As of now, the "highly anticipated" upcoming season will be L&O:SVU's 21st season, which is noteworthy because it will break the Gunsmoke record.  It hasn't been announced as definitely being the last season of the series though.  As long as Mariska and Dick Wolf want to keep it going and the show can sustain the ratings, IMO they very well could go for S22.  The network keeps changing the day though:  It was always on Wednesdays but this season it was moved to Thursday, and S21 will be aired on Mondays.

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, bobalina said:

Are we sure it's the last season?

2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Nope. Probably just a lot of hope from some (like me).

At this point it's probably more likely it goes another season than not unfortunately. Unless the ratings tank and tank hard early on. They are going to want to do some sort of proper sendoff with a final arc and a proper finale and that takes time to plan. I wouldn't be surprised though to to see NBC go the Criminal Minds/Criminal Intent route and give them a shortened final season next year though or even move it to the new streaming service with only the first episode and the series finale on regular TV.

1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

S21 will be aired on Mondays.

54 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

@CrystalBlue, are you sure you are not confusing the SVU repeats in syndication on MyNetwork - which will air on Monday nights this fall and S21 on NBC? Pretty sure S21 will remain on Thursday nights.

All publicly available information says S21 will indeed remain on Thursdays (premiering 9/26 so we have a month to brace ourselves).

https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/12/nbc-fall-primetime-schedule/

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/nbc-fall-2019-2020-premiere-dates-1203245474/

Edited by wknt3
fixed typos
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

@CrystalBlue, are you sure you are not confusing the SVU repeats in syndication on MyNetwork - which will air on Monday nights this fall and S21 on NBC? Pretty sure S21 will remain on Thursday nights.

Sorry for the confusion because I confused the syndicated reruns with current season.  I just read or heard about the Mondays and didn't realize they'd be on a station that I don't even watch!

OK, Thursday nights it is.  :)

8 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Oh, hey, thanks for that info.  I did not know that.

Nevermind.  Sorry for the misinformation!

• Love 4
1 minute ago, CrystalBlue said:

Sorry for the confusion because I confused the syndicated reruns with current season.  I just read or heard about the Mondays and didn't realize they'd be on a station that I don't even watch!

OK, Thursday nights it is.  🙂

Happens to the best of us! No worries.  🙂

• Love 4
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

Put this both here and in the "in the media" thread (since I wasn't sure where it belonged) https://tvline.com/2019/08/29/law-and-order-svu-christopher-meloni-return-season-21-stabler/

If you read this article, can you believe he said it would be tough to explain why they have been separated for 8 years? They are writing such unbelievable scenarios almost every week, and expect the viewers to buy every bit of it. He is just making lame excuses, that's all.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, dttruman said:

If you read this article, can you believe he said it would be tough to explain why they have been separated for 8 years? They are writing such unbelievable scenarios almost every week, and expect the viewers to buy every bit of it. He is just making lame excuses, that's all.

maybe he doesn't want to rreturn to the dumpster fire  that is svu and is too polite to tell them why.

• Love 7
On 8/29/2019 at 5:49 PM, balmz said:

maybe he doesn't want to rreturn to the dumpster fire  that is svu and is too polite to tell them why.

Can you really blame him? I wouldn't completely rule out CM/Elliot ever coming back, but I really think that the ship sailed away a long time ago.

• Love 6
On 8/31/2019 at 4:30 PM, catlover79 said:
On 8/29/2019 at 5:49 PM, balmz said:

Can you really blame him? I wouldn't completely rule out CM/Elliot ever coming back, but I really think that the ship sailed away a long time ago. 

I think he (Leight) should be held accountable too, because he helped create some of this mess. didn't he?

Edited by dttruman
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, dttruman said:

I think he should be held accountable too, because helped create some of this mess. didn't he?

I don't get this. There were obvious issues we are not privy to behind the scenes where Meloni's exit is concerned. But the fact he left does not excuse the hatchet job the writers seemed to have wanted to do since that exit, along with Olivia basically dismissing him to Amaro.

I don't blame Meloni for not wanting to return to what sounds like some vindictive environment. Lord knows what the writers would have Stabler say or do - especially to make Olivia look better, as seems to be SVU law now.

• Love 6

Yeah I don’t blame anyone for not wanting to be involved with the shitshow that is SVU now. They have no problem committing character assassination of every character in order to boost up St Olivia. The show is nothing more than Mariska on a massive ego trip. Stone’s exit showed just how bad SVU has become and how they don’t care about anything but building up Benson. I have a feeling if Stabler returned all they would do is have him worship at the altar of St Olivia. 

I can only hope that SVU ends after this season before it gets even worse, maybe it can go out with an ounce of dignity.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I don't get this. There were obvious issues we are not privy to behind the scenes where Meloni's exit is concerned. But the fact he left does not excuse the hatchet job the writers seemed to have wanted to do since that exit, along with Olivia basically dismissing him to Amaro.in

I don't blame Meloni for not wanting to return to what sounds like some vindictive environment. Lord knows what the writers would have Stabler say or do - especially to make Olivia look better, as seems to be SVU law now.

I just want to make sure that everyone knows who I am talking about. I think that some of you think that I am talking about CM, but I am referring to Leight and how he chose to focus more on the private lives of the detectives and the way Stabler was unceremoniously reduced to some burnt out detective.

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, dttruman said:

I just want to make sure that everyone knows who I am talking about. I think that some of you think that I am talking about CM, but I am referring to Leight and how he chose to focus more on the private lives of the detectives and the way Stabler was unceremoniously reduced to some burnt out detective.

Well for the record Stabler was a rageaholic cop who needed to step down. But I did think it was unnecessary for Benson to throw Stabler under the bus in the season 16 finale while talking to Amaro, that felt somewhat OOC and just a “fuck you” from the writers to Stabler and his fans, and I’m saying this as someone who never cared for Stabler.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, dttruman said:

Thank you for this clarification and edit of your post!  Agree!

• Love 3

From TVLine's "Fall TV Spoilers": 

Returning showrunner Warren Leight had a mandate for his writers as they created the series’ history-making Season 21: “I don’t want an episode that feels like it could have run in Season 16 or 14 or 9,” he tells TVLine, adding that those scripting Olivia & Co. this year are “eager and committed” to filling the milestone season with the timeliest, ripped-from-the-headlines tales. First up: The premiere features a #MeToo case in which Deadwood‘s Ian McShane plays a media mogul accused of sexual assault. (It’s also got a subtle shout-out to Gunsmoke, the TV series whose record SVU is breaking this year.) Then Modern Family‘s Ariel Winter shows up in Episode 2 as a woman who’s pretty sure something terrible happened to her in a ride-share car while she was drunk. Olivia uses an intriguing style of questioning to get at the truth, Leight previews, which makes for “an interesting episode about the puzzle of memory and how you put that puzzle back together.”

BONUS SPOILER!: “You’ll see some major changes for different members of the squad room,” the EP teases, and viewers won’t have to wait long: “You’ll already have seen three major changes at the end of the first episode.”

RETURN DATE: Thursday, Sept. 26 at 10/9c (NBC)

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

committed” to filling the milestone season with the timeliest, ripped-from-the-headlines tales. First up: The premiere features a #MeToo case

Aren't they running a little behind when it comes to these "Ripped from the Headlines" episodes. Even the Lifetime channel is going to be running three movies concerning that. I can only remember two of them at the moment. The Nixum sex slave cult and the admissions scandal of the celebrities movies will be running this month on Lifetime.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/28/2019 at 5:00 AM, peacheslatour said:

I predict that St. Olivia will spend this last season the way she spent the first twenty: Ruining the lives of every victim she comes onto contact with.

... and the whispering... Don't forget the whispering!!!

I have a feeling that there will be a season 22.  Just to make it seem sooooo much better than other shows.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, SarahPrtr said:

... and the whispering... Don't forget the whispering!!!

Do you think they made that her trademark, just for her foundation? She is always whispering to her victims, but hardly compassionate to male victims unless they are young or handicapped in some way.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, dttruman said:

Do you think they made that her trademark, just for her foundation? She is always whispering to her victims, but hardly compassionate to male victims unless they are young or handicapped in some way.

I think it's to cover up lack of talent.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, SarahPrtr said:

Unfortunately, she'll always be able to say "Well, I have a GOLDEN GLOBE AWARD" and forever feel smug and superior.

I dunno.  When it comes to bragging rights, I don't think the Golden Globes are high up there on the ladder of awards esteem.  I mean, Pia Zadora won a Golden Globe.  Pia.  Zadora.

The Emmy, on the other hand...  I still puzzle over that one.  True, there was less competition on the television landscape back then.  Still...

• Love 4

Out of curiosity, I looked up who MH was up against in 2006:  Geena Davis (Commander-in-Chief); Frances Conroy (Six Feet Under); Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer); and Allison Janney (The West Wing).  I know who I would've voted for, and it's not MH.

I dunno, even back then, I only ever thought MH was a competent actress, not an award worthy one, not even for the ep that got her that Emmy.  But, yeah, a competent actress.  These last three seasons, though, I'm not even sure I can call her that.  I think she's really come to believe she's that acting legend in her own mind, and there's no longer anyone around ready, willing or able to rein in her worst acting instincts.  Whether or not the Victim Whisperer recurs in Season 21 will be a clue how much power WL was able to reclaim.  Something needs to be done because it's hurting the character.  The current Olivia Benson is kind of embarrassing.  

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

Out of curiosity, I looked up who MH was up against in 2006:  Geena Davis (Commander-in-Chief); Frances Conroy (Six Feet Under); Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer); and Allison Janney (The West Wing).  I know who I would've voted for, and it's not MH.

I would have given it to Allison Janney with Kyra Sedgwick as my second choice.

• Love 4

It really disgusts me that this show started as an ensemble show and no one person was singled out to be the face of the show. Now all the promotional stuff even on the NBC site only singles out MH. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I would have given it to Allison Janney with Kyra Sedgwick as my second choice.

I thought both were deserving. Today, I think it is all political just to get Hargitay an award. When they talk about her up for some kind or award, they always mention her foundation now. What she does with her foundation is very commendable, but it shouldn't be involved in determining an Emmy or GG winner.

Edited by dttruman
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, dttruman said:

I thought both were deserving. Today, I think it is all political just to get Hargitay an award. When they talk about her up for some kind or award, they always mention her foundation now. What she does with her foundation is very commendable, but it shouldn't be involved in determining an Emmy or GG winner.

I absolutely loved Captain Cragen, but I really didn't realise that Dann Florek is an even bigger SJW than MH.  That really surprised me. 

I really hate how the show is still SO biased against male victims.  It's really appalling.  Special victims are NOT always female and they absolutely should know that.  Why are regular people more informed about this kind of thing than detectives who are supposedly trained for this?  I find them all rather insensitive to victims a lot of the time.  MUST pay more attention to male victims.  YES, men can get raped by women (they actually did a Carisi-based episode on that).  If the man says no, but a woman forces herself on him, that is rape.  Doesn't matter if he orgasms, that's just a physical response.  There was another episode a few seasons ago when a young woman was raped and she was crying to Benson about how she orgasmed during the rape, even though she didn't, whilst having sex with her boyfriend.  It was still taken seriously because she was a woman.  The department is special victims, not FEMALE-ONLY special victims. 

• Love 6

I agree that it’s appalling how whenever they have a male victim, it usually turns out that they are somehow the bad guy and the female is the real victim. The show has an agenda of all men are bad and all females are victims, and I think this agenda is coming from MH, and the show is designed to appeal only to women of a certain age, race and class it seems, that’s why almost all of the victims are upper class white females, it seems like the show just cares about appealing to them at the expense of everyone else. They really need to deal with a lot of different kinds of cases with a more diverse pool of victims and suspects, but Mariska likes the stories where it’s rich white people in he said she said rape cases with the woman always telling the truth, it allows her to push an agenda, promote her foundation and act as the hero.

• Love 6