Type keyword(s) to search

Season 21 Spoilers and Speculation: "What are we gonna proceed to? What are we gonna do?"

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, SarahPrtr said:

I absolutely loved Captain Cragen, but I really didn't realise that Dann Florek is an even bigger SJW than MH.  That really surprised me. 

I really hate how the show is still SO biased against male victims.  It's really appalling.  Special victims are NOT always female and they absolutely should know that.  Why are regular people more informed about this kind of thing than detectives who are supposedly trained for this?  I find them all rather insensitive to victims a lot of the time.  MUST pay more attention to male victims.  YES, men can get raped by women (they actually did a Carisi-based episode on that).  If the man says no, but a woman forces herself on him, that is rape.  Doesn't matter if he orgasms, that's just a physical response.  There was another episode a few seasons ago when a young woman was raped and she was crying to Benson about how she orgasmed during the rape, even though she didn't, whilst having sex with her boyfriend.  It was still taken seriously because she was a woman.  The department is special victims, not FEMALE-ONLY special victims. 

The men as victims are few and far between, years between episodes. I understand that women victims outnumber the men, but of late, Benson has been so obsessively focused on the men as culprits. In the past they wrote a good episode about the 3 women and the stripper. The one with Carisi's brother-in-law was far inferior. In that episode SVU never should have had Carisi involved and they chose to blame the parole system for the officer's actions. According to Benson, women are only guilty by circumstances and men are just pure evil.

• Love 3

From "Ask Ausiello" on TVLine:  Question: I’m dying to know anything about Benson, Rollins, Carisi and Finn in SVU‘s new season. Anything! —Janna
Ausiello: I can tell you that one of the people you mentioned makes a huge move in the premiere, and that switch-up is poised to have repercussions throughout the season… and perhaps the series?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, illdoc said:

From "Ask Ausiello" on TVLine:  Question: I’m dying to know anything about Benson, Rollins, Carisi and Finn in SVU‘s new season. Anything! —Janna
Ausiello: I can tell you that one of the people you mentioned makes a huge move in the premiere, and that switch-up is poised to have repercussions throughout the season… and perhaps the series?

Yeah it’s looking more and more like Carisi is going to move to being a prosecutor. I don’t like this, but I’m pretty sure that’s what will happen, it explains why Carisi was in so few behind the scenes pics and why no new ADA was added. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yeah it’s looking more and more like Carisi is going to move to being a prosecutor. I don’t like this, but I’m pretty sure that’s what will happen, it explains why Carisi was in so few behind the scenes pics and why no new ADA was added. 

If true, they are really jumping the gun on this and I am wondering how the hell, they are going to explain it or justify it. Are they going to say he was sat 2nd chair to some ADA over the summer and now he is promoted to ADA?

This would be as bad as Amaro being promoted back to SVU status by making a proper drunk driving stop (nothing heroic) even though he still has (and still showed) that hair trigger temper.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, dttruman said:

If true, they are really jumping the gun on this and I am wondering how the hell, they are going to explain it or justify it. Are they going to say he was sat 2nd chair to some ADA over the summer and now he is promoted to ADA?

This would be as bad as Amaro being promoted back to SVU status by making a proper drunk driving stop (nothing heroic) even though he still has (and still showed) that hair trigger temper.

Like I’ve said before, if they make Carisi the ADA, it will be arguably the most unrealistic thing the show has ever done. But the show doesn’t care about realism anymore.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

The more I read and the less behind-the-scenes photos I see of  Carisi are giving me the feeling he is going to be the new ADA.  It is making me ill.  Over the past several seasons, there has been more of a focus on the “order” side rather than the “law” side.  Less Carisi is not a good thing.  One thing they have gotten right recently was pairing up Fin and Carisi; it’s a shame if they break that pairing up.  

Less carisi and 1 less detective in the squad room equates to more benson and Rollins.  I doubt that they will have more Fin-centric episodes.  I just saw another photo from filming today that features Noah; I think that is the 3rd episode he is in so far out of 5-6 episodes filmed so far.  Not a good sign.  One of the writers just tweeted about missing Kim Rollins; I hope to God that wasn’t a hint of things to come.  I think Donal Logue/ Murphy is on board for making an appearance(s), which obviously will be Rollins-related drama.  I’m seriously worried about the ratio of crime- related story to personal drama  we are going to get this season.  Like I’ve said in the past, a little bit of light on the personal lives is ok, like how they handle Fin’s, but not the majority of an episode.  

**Sorry,  Xeliou66 & dttruman.  I was still typing my response up while you already got yours in and I didn’t see them until after I hit the submit button.  **

Edited by ChristiKRN
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, ChristiKRN said:

The more I read and the less behind-the-scenes photos I see of  Carisi are giving me the feeling he is going to be the new ADA.  It is making me ill.  Over the past several seasons, there has been more of a focus on the “order” side rather than the “law” side.  Less Carisi is not a good thing.  One thing they have gotten right recently was pairing up Fin and Carisi; it’s a shame if they break that pairing up.  

Less carisi and 1 less detective in the squad room equates to more benson and Rollins.  I doubt that they will have more Fin-centric episodes.  I just saw another photo from filming today that features Noah; I think that is the 3rd episode he is in so far out of 5-6 episodes filmed so far.  Not a good sign.  One of the writers just tweeted about missing Kim Rollins; I hope to God that wasn’t a hint of things to come.  I think Donal Logue/ Murphy is on board for making an appearance(s), which obviously will be Rollins-related drama.  I’m seriously worried about the ratio of crime- related story to personal drama  we are going to get this season.  Like I’ve said in the past, a little bit of light on the personal lives is ok, like how they handle Fin’s, but not the majority of an episode.  

**Sorry,  Xeliou66 & dttruman.  I was still typing my response up while you already got yours in and I didn’t see them until after I hit the submit button.  **

Yes, it’s all piecing together that Carisi will be the new ADA. The spoilers about major changes coming, the lack of Carisi in behind the scenes pics, the description for episode 1 about Carisi being between a rock and a hard place, and the fact that they haven’t hired a new ADA all point to Carisi being the new ADA. 

The Fin/Carisi pairing was the best part of season 20, I will really miss that if our speculations about Carisi are right. 

PLEASE for the love of god do not bring back Kim Rollins!! One of the worst characters in SVU history, and it was beyond stupid how they hand waved her evil behavior as being part of a mental illness and tried to act like she was reformed. I NEVER want to see her again. The very thought of her being back makes me sick. 

I’m honestly expecting this season to be horrible, I’m afraid it will be even more of a soap opera with even more focus on Benson and Rollins, and having only 4 main characters isn’t good, and with Carisi probably moving to the legal side it means less of Carisi and I’m afraid it means Benson in charge of the ADA and she’ll just order Carisi around. I’m still pissed at the show for Stone’s crap exit, and I’m afraid things are only getting worse from here on out.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ChristiKRN said:

How dare you try to undermine my extremely perceptive observations and try to take credit for my remarkable utterances. I can only respond in one fashion.

Spoiler

Jinx, you owe me a soda!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

The Fin/Carisi pairing was the best part of season 20, I will really miss that if our speculations about Carisi are right. 

Fin probably won't be around a lot, because of his tv series, "In Ice Cold Blood". It's first season had 8 episodes and the 2nd season had 16 episodes, and will probably have more this next season

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, dttruman said:

How dare you try to undermine my extremely perceptive observations and try to take credit for my remarkable utterances. I can only respond in one fashion.

Hide contents

Jinx, you owe me a soda!

Haha...we may need a spiked soda (or 2) to get through the season.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I think with this information, we can say that Carisi will not be the new ADA, we will have a rotation of ADA’s and that perhaps the change that was said in the scoops of the TV line is Olivia becoming Captain, as information about her becoming Captain has been circulating.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Thank goodness. The only thing I know of for sure is that there will be a ripped from the headlines story based on Jeffrey Epstein, and that there will be a lot of Olivia whispering. 😝

Edited by catlover79
  • Love 3

Great news if this means Carisi won’t be the new ADA!! That would be extremely unrealistic and it would reduce the SVU members to just 3 characters. I would love to see a new, hardass prosecutor come on board to shake things up and clash with Benson. I do wonder what it means about Carisi being between a rock and a hard place? 

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Great news if this means Carisi won’t be the new ADA!! That would be extremely unrealistic and it would reduce the SVU members to just 3 characters. I would love to see a new, hardass prosecutor come on board to shake things up and clash with Benson. I do wonder what it means about Carisi being between a rock and a hard place? 

Since we will probably have several ADA's, I think some of them will make it difficult for Benson and Cia to work, and we will have a lot of reactions from them, as I said in the article and they will vary.
Perhaps in the course of the case, Carisi runs out of ways to resolve the case and because of an ADA that is making it difficult to resolve and do justice to the victim, he has to choose the least worse.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Clarice83 said:

I think with this information, we can say that Carisi will not be the new ADA, we will have a rotation of ADA’s and that perhaps the change that was said in the scoops of the TV line is Olivia becoming Captain, as information about her becoming Captain has been circulating.

Sure would be nice in real life if we could screw up as much as Benson and keep getting promoted.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Great news if this means Carisi won’t be the new ADA!! That would be extremely unrealistic and it would reduce the SVU members to just 3 characters.

It wouldn't surprise me considering how they have systematically reduced the cast down to almost nothing. What surprised me, was when someone mentioned earlier that Wolf probably sanctioned all this downsizing and the reduction of the quality of the show.

• Love 2

Let's see how fast SVU writers and producers can get an episode that is "Ripped From the Headlines" out? I hope everyone has heard about the pro football player (who has been mentioned in every (USA) paper and sports news show), Antonio Brown! Well he is being sued civilly for rape by his former trainer. There are lots of subplots in it and would be a good one for SVU. Question is, will they have it made by Christmas or will we see it in the Spring?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/11/patriots-antonio-brown-accused-sexual-assualt-former-trainer

Edited by dttruman
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Hallelujah, if that is correct about Carisi!  Not so much, if Benson is made Captain.  She sure hasn't earned it.

I think if she is promoted they should have Van Buren come out of retirement to sue the NYPD all over again!

16 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

11 hours ago, dttruman said:

It wouldn't surprise me considering how they have systematically reduced the cast down to almost nothing. What surprised me, was when someone mentioned earlier that Wolf probably sanctioned all this downsizing and the reduction of the quality of the show.

If you are surprised you obviously don't know Dick. He is all about quantity over quality and will do anything to keep one of his series on the air except spend his own money. And he hasn't worried much about the artistic content of any of the series since sometime in the early years of SVU (and even then it wasn't intensely involved in the writing the same way he was in the early seasons of the mothership). It's all about the money, especially now that he has broken Gunsmoke's record. If he had an objection to making Carisi the new ADA I guarantee you it was financial and not creative. After all PS is the only one besides Mariska under contract for all 22 episodes and they would need to bring in another actor for all those episodes where Ice-T is off working on one of his other projects.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

If you are surprised you obviously don't know Dick. He is all about quantity over quality and will do anything to keep one of his series on the air except spend his own money. And he hasn't worried much about the artistic content of any of the series since sometime in the early years of SVU (and even then it wasn't intensely involved in the writing the same way he was in the early seasons of the mothership). It's all about the money, especially now that he has broken Gunsmoke's record. If he had an objection to making Carisi the new ADA I guarantee you it was financial and not creative. After all PS is the only one besides Mariska under contract for all 22 episodes and they would need to bring in another actor for all those episodes where Ice-T is off working on one of his other projects.

I lost all respect for Wolf when I heard this the first time. It makes me puke when I see him and MH talking about how they put a premium on telling the story of victims, when all they care about is the bottom line.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Fellaway said:

After all PS is the only one besides Mariska under contract for all 22 episodes

I knew Ice-T wasn't, but KG isn't either?  She makes that much?  I'm assuming it's about money.

Yeah my bad on the sloppy phrasing there. I can't find the cite, but I remember reading an article where she praised them for giving her more time off to be with her family. I don't know if it was an exchange for less money or just no raises, but I'm assuming money was involved as well since it always is. I don't think my stomach or my brain could take going back through all the episodes of the past few years to see if she skipped any entirely, but there were several where I know she was barely there. So it would be more accurate to say PS is the only one besides Mariska who has no real limitations on screen time. Which gives me an idea that would make Dick Wolf, the NBC bean counters, and Warren Leight happy. Carisi becomes ADA. His cousin, who looks almost identical, but with slightly different hair joins the squad. The reason the cousin was never mentioned before is that there is a longstanding feud between them so Sonny Carisi ADA will never set foot in the squad room while Fredo Carisi Detective 3rd grade is there. You have one actor playing 2 roles saving all sorts of money and the messy personal family drama Leight lives for! Plus a (sort of) new character to reinvigorate the show! What could go wrong?

Edited by wknt3
ducking autocorrect...
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, wknt3 said:

Yeah my bad on the sloppy phrasing there. I can't find the cite, but I remember reading an article where she praised them for giving her more time off to be with her family. I don't know if it was an exchange for less money or just no raises, but I'm assuming money was involved as well since it always is. I don't think my stomach or my brain could take going back through all the episodes of the past few years to see if she skipped any entirely, but there were several where I know she was barely there. So it would be more accurate to say PS is the only one besides Mariska who has no real limitations on screen time. Which gives me an idea that would make Dick Wolf, the NBC bean counters, and Warren Leight happy. Carisi becomes ADA. His cousin, who looks almost identical, but with slightly different hair joins the squad. The reason the cousin was never mentioned before is that there is a longstanding feud between them so Sonny Carisi ADA will never set foot in the squad room while Fredo Carisi Detective 3rd grade is there. You have one actor playing 2 roles saving all sorts of money and the messy personal family drama Leight lives for! Plus a (sort of) new character to reinvigorate the show! What could go wrong?

Fredo?

On 9/13/2019 at 6:37 AM, dttruman said:
On 9/13/2019 at 12:35 AM, Clarice83 said:

Read more  

Sure would be nice in real life if we could screw up as much as Benson and keep getting promoted.

I believe I have found the sponsor, that best fits this scenario

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oCNm/the-general-football-tryouts

• Love 1
On 9/14/2019 at 7:40 AM, wknt3 said:

Yeah my bad on the sloppy phrasing there. I can't find the cite, but I remember reading an article where she praised them for giving her more time off to be with her family. I don't know if it was an exchange for less money or just no raises, but I'm assuming money was involved as well since it always is. I don't think my stomach or my brain could take going back through all the episodes of the past few years to see if she skipped any entirely, but there were several where I know she was barely there.

Ah, gotcha.  Yes, I'm pretty sure there are at least a few KG-less episodes.  One that comes to my mind is 17's Melancholy Pursuit.  KG/Rollins was pregnant at the time.  I always figured they built Rollins-less episodes around her pregnancies, but maybe she planned her pregnancies around Rollins-less eps.  It's a chicken or the egg type thing.

Hey, another reason Carisi can't be ADA:  He's the only one on the squad these days who runs.

Edited by Fellaway
It's an extra word/missing word kind of thing.
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Ah, gotcha.  Yes, I'm pretty sure there are at least a few KG-less episodes.  One that comes to my mind is 17's Melancholy Pursuit.  KG/Rollins was pregnant at the time.  I always figured they built Rollins-less episodes around her pregnancies, but maybe she planned her pregnancies around Rollins-less eps.  It's a chicken or the egg type thing.

I'm not sure how the FMLA applies to TV production. but I figured it wasn't those episodes where she was absent as she was delivering the baby etc. I was assuming that she was talking more about the episodes where she was in only a couple short scenes like where the investigation was all Fin & Carisis and the second half was all Benson since there were several of those before and after the second baby.

Hey, another reason Carisi can't be ADA:  He's the only one on the squad these days who runs.

Come on now Benson runs. She has a trainer and everything! She's just so good that she never gets into an extended chase! She can do anything she wants to she just chooses not to do certain things. Like delegate or move the top half of her face.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Law & Order SVU - Episode 21x02 - The Darkest Journey Home - Press Release

"LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT"

"THE DARKEST JOURNEY HOME"

ORIGINAL

10/03/2019 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Thursday) : Benson works with a young woman to help her remember the details and suspects in her rape. In order to learn a new witness interview technique, Rollins and Fin have to experience it for themselves. Ariel Winter and Amy Hargreaves guest star.

Source

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Clarice83 said:

In order to learn a new witness interview technique, Rollins and Fin have to experience it for themselves.

Hmm...  And Carisi doesn't?  Better not be because he's ADA!

Here's a new one on me. 

At Home Rape Kits

Understandably, the concept is drawing a lot of criticism, and the kits linked in the article don't seem to be for sale now, but... fodder for an ep, maybe?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Hmm...  And Carisi doesn't?  Better not be because he's ADA!

Here's a new one on me. 

At Home Rape Kits

Understandably, the concept is drawing a lot of criticism, and the kits linked in the article don't seem to be for sale now, but... fodder for an ep, maybe?

I can’t figure out if Carisi is going to be the new ADA or not. Everything was lining up to suggest that was the case, but then the article came along that suggested we would have rotating ADA’s, but the episode descriptions suggest Carisi will be the ADA. Who the hell knows. I hope Carisi isn’t the ADA, but I really don’t know what to think. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I can’t figure out if Carisi is going to be the new ADA or not. Everything was lining up to suggest that was the case, but then the article came along that suggested we would have rotating ADA’s, but the episode descriptions suggest Carisi will be the ADA. Who the hell knows. I hope Carisi isn’t the ADA, but I really don’t know what to think. 

Do you think the rotating ADAs will take place up until Christmas with Carisi as 2nd chair, and then Carisi will get the job when 2020 rolls around?

2 minutes ago, dttruman said:

Do you think the rotating ADAs will take place up until Christmas with Carisi as 2nd chair, and then Carisi will get the job when 2020 rolls around?

I don’t see them reducing Carisi’s role to being second chair, but it would be much more realistic for that to be the case than for him to start out as lead prosecutor, but who really knows, they could have Carisi assisting the ADA’s now. I really don’t know what to expect regarding the ADA position and what will be done with Carisi, but I have no confidence in the writers to do anything right.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, dttruman said:

Just read an article online at Enews, that Dick Wolf said SVU will be around in 2025. Does that mean they are going after the Gunsmoke record for most episodes now?

https://www.eonline.com/news/1073438/law-and-order-svu-s-mariska-hargitay-and-christopher-meloni-reunite-ahead-of-history-making-season

35 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Hope it's just Dick running his mouth and a dose of wishful thinking!

That's what I assumed. It's his usual line that all his shows should and will run forever. I'm pretty sure that NBC feels like they have atoned for their past sins and looking at the ratings trends I can't see them bringing it back 5 more years even if the series gets a ratings boost with the publicity of a record breaking season and possibly bringing back some old favorites. I just don't think that there is enough money in the budget for them to cut enough to make the numbers work as viewers who are less masochistic than us keep dropping the show. As I've said before I could possibly see them extending it a year or so by moving it to the new NBCUniversal streaming service for the launch, but that still doesn't take them to 2025. I really doubt this reflects any sort of serious plans or special effort to break any more records.  I think Wolf's pretty satisfied as far as records are concerned and don't see it motivating any special action on his part. Except for sticking a few more pins in his Mark Harmon voodoo doll of course...

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

That's what I assumed. It's his usual line that all his shows should and will run forever. I'm pretty sure that NBC feels like they have atoned for their past sins and looking at the ratings trends I can't see them bringing it back 5 more years even if the series gets a ratings boost with the publicity of a record breaking season and possibly bringing back some old favorites. I just don't think that there is enough money in the budget for them to cut enough to make the numbers work as viewers who are less masochistic than us keep dropping the show. As I've said before I could possibly see them extending it a year or so by moving it to the new NBCUniversal streaming service for the launch, but that still doesn't take them to 2025. I really doubt this reflects any sort of serious plans or special effort to break any more records.  I think Wolf's pretty satisfied as far as records are concerned and don't see it motivating any special action on his part. Except for sticking a few more pins in his Mark Harmon voodoo doll of course...

Well, if NBC proper won't take it for another five years, perhaps "Peacock" (yes) will? (This new service - from reading - has already stolen the Psych movie sequel from USA.)

• Love 2

From TVLine's Ask Ausiello: Question: I can’t wait for SVU to come back. Gimme something to tide me over! —Pat
Ausiello: SVU beat-coverer Kim Roots tells me that the second episode of the season features prominent callbacks regarding a polarizing recurring character and then she paused, arched her eyebrow and bellowed, “You better not put that in Ask Ausiello!”

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, illdoc said:

From TVLine's Ask Ausiello: Question: I can’t wait for SVU to come back. Gimme something to tide me over! —Pat
Ausiello: SVU beat-coverer Kim Roots tells me that the second episode of the season features prominent callbacks regarding a polarizing recurring character and then she paused, arched her eyebrow and bellowed, “You better not put that in Ask Ausiello!”

24 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

Okay, I cannot think of a single "polarizing" recurring character.  I have failed my L&O: SVU exam.

I have a feeling it will be more of Benson flashing back to William Lewis, because the show can’t get enough Benson melodrama. Lewis will be the “polarizing” recurring character.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I have a feeling it will be more of Benson flashing back to William Lewis, because the show can’t get enough Benson melodrama. Lewis will be the “polarizing” recurring character.

Yikes, I hope not.  I liked that storyline at first, but it did go on too long.  William Lewis is well past his Sell By date.

I truly can't think of a polarizing character, other than Stabler, that is, but he was certainly not recurring and not coming back.  Not now, at least, and hopfully not ever.

• Love 1
On 9/17/2019 at 6:15 PM, wknt3 said:

On 9/17/2019 at 6:20 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Well, if NBC proper won't take it for another five years, perhaps "Peacock" (yes) will? (This new service - from reading - has already stolen the Psych movie sequel from USA.)

Still don't see them giving the series 5 years ( I think Hate Crimes would be more likely) given Netflix dropping them and that last I saw earlier seasons cost more to download digitally, but this just came out and it looks like our speculation about a move to NBC streaming might be on target!

Massive TV Library of One of the Most Prolific — and Successful — Producers in TV History Reportedly Being Shopped

The article does mention a revived New York Undercover and I think that Dick Wolf might actually be more personally interested in that than a long term extension of SVU. As I said I could see SVU going streaming for a season ot two to launch the new service, with only the season premiere and the season finale on the network and this makes that more likely.

• Useful 2