Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E17: Silent Service

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

I liked it.  I'm with Bishop, though.  I do NOT want to be a sub.  They said the word "boat" an awful lot tonight.  I had a boyfriend who was in the Navy and every time I said boat, he'd yell "It's a ship."  Probably doesn't apply to subs, though.

So, I guess Ducky will be hanging out for a bit longer.  

• Love 1

Think, Captain. Why would the Navy send a single sub to attack the Russian fleet?

Yay! Ducky as Historian -- and resident consultant. Great move. His office just needs a coat of paint and a couple of throw pillows.

• Love 4

The easy way to remember the difference is by size:  ships carry boats; that is to say, a sea-going vessel that can be carried, launched, and/or tended by another sea-going vessel is a 'boat', and a ship cannot be carried by another ship; since it is a historical holdover, it reflects the time it came to be, when submarines were actually boats.

Since early submersibles could be carried by ships they were boats and the term stuck, even though subs are much larger nowadays.

This is from: 
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-a-submarine-called-a-boat-and-not-a-ship

• Useful 6
  • Love 3

What I liked was McGee in charge and barely hesitating to give Vance an order. He should be put in charge before Bishop more often. 

I'd like to see more of that in the future.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Bobbin said:

Think, Captain. Why would the Navy send a single sub to attack the Russian fleet?

Yay! Ducky as Historian -- and resident consultant. Great move. His office just needs a coat of paint and a couple of throw pillows.

I don't know that the captain thought that his was the only sub going.  There was radio silence except for the orders he was getting.  How would he know what other subs were doing?

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't know that the captain thought that his was the only sub going.  There was radio silence except for the orders he was getting.  How would he know what other subs were doing?

I think that was the issue.  The radio silence and the false orders he never bothered getting confirmation on.   He probably should have questioned two NCIS officers being on board and the unexplained death but once the orders came in he got tunnel vision.  

• Love 2

The thoughts going on inside the boat chief's pea-sized brain: "I have some pertinent information to tell the captain that could stop a thermonuclear war that would kill millions of people and end life as I know it. On the other hand, if I speak up, the weapons officer's reputation might be damaged for a short time until he was cleared. Oh well, when you put it that way, I guess it's best to remain silent."

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Rambler said:

The thoughts going on inside the boat chief's pea-sized brain: "I have some pertinent information to tell the captain that could stop a thermonuclear war that would kill millions of people and end life as I know it. On the other hand, if I speak up, the weapons officer's reputation might be damaged for a short time until he was cleared. Oh well, when you put it that way, I guess it's best to remain silent."

Wouldn't you know that your boat would be scuttled before getting off the first shot?

• Love 1
On 3/26/2019 at 5:58 PM, Katy M said:

I liked it.  I'm with Bishop, though.  I do NOT want to be a sub.  They said the word "boat" an awful lot tonight.  I had a boyfriend who was in the Navy and every time I said boat, he'd yell "It's a ship."  Probably doesn't apply to subs, though.

I think he was being contrarian. The sub service being one of the so called elites over the mass of the Navy and some folks like me like to push back against the elite bias of society.  Technically the USS Madison might be a ship but by tradition it is always called a boat.

On 3/26/2019 at 10:57 PM, Gothish520 said:

I liked this one. No one was annoying and everyone worked well together. I think I've finally warmed up to Jack. Really liked Gibbs and Bishop on the sub. The ending was a nice little treat.

I thought the team descended into immaturity in the first half, as the naval vessel descended. We have a NCIS crew member who lost her sea-legs; a young and petty medical examiner , the others were unprofessional too. Bishop missed an obvious conclusion that Gibbs fed her. The antics in the beginning set up their collective rise to the occasion once it was revealed that Gibbs was stranded and the case went dire. Nick was On It,.

Edited by Welcome5431
  • Love 1

They scripted McGee to answer Kasie's call to the lab;he understood her technical findings in the computer transmissions when time was of the essence.

Did the copy of "Moby Dick", quote unquote, look new or worn to you? 

Edited by Welcome5431