Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E09: Eric Swalwell, Larry Charles, Evelyn Farkas, Irshad Manji, Kristen Soltis Anderson

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

Can't say I was familiar with Irshad Manji before (IMDB says she was last on in 2011) but I found her interesting and insightful.

Irshad Manji has been on Real Time before, but it has been a while -- I believe her last appearance on Real Time was in 2011, and then she was on twice in 3 weeks.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, crookedjackson44 said:

A bit of a yawner.  Weak cast, and Bill seems as if he couldn't get out of the first interview fast enough.

It was a surprisingly lethargic show, given all the news of the week and the breaking news of the day. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

Can't say I was familiar with Irshad Manji before (IMDB says she was last on in 2011) but I found her interesting and insightful.

Was she the woman he interviewed in the beginning? I thought she had the same annoying contradictory complaints about apologizing that Bill always has: It was ridiculous for those attention-seeking college students to link Chelsea Clinton's post about anti-Semitism to the Christchurch attacks....but if women are going to talk shit about white men on the internet don't be surprised when Incels shoot people up. Also the Black Lives Matter movement makes white people feel bad for being white so that's why they vote for Trump. Liberals shouldn't appease liberals (especially not those who are being indoctrinated rather than taught at college) but they sure need to stop provoking conservatives!

I thought something similar was going on with the Beto O'Rourke discussion and chalking up resistance to him as basically reverse racism. (Though some of his apologies do sound ridiculous to me.)

• Love 2

As soon as she said colleges are indoctrinating I tuned out. I'd suggest having on an actual professor to explain why not because they're doing about 50 million things a week but they wouldn't have time to come on because they're doing 50 million things a week. 

If dudes can't get laid, they could also just jerk off more and calm the fuck down. Or grow the fuck up. It's not a big secret that women like men who take care of their own shit. It's not really my problem. 

I'm sorry to tell the congressman, but people care more about their guns than kids. That's a documented fact. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 5

Agree that this show was lethargic and boring. I honestly think that after 2 years, I think we are all tired of Trump and his shenanigans and if I wasn’t worried that the world would blow up if I stopped, I would love to boycott all news and newscentric shows on television. I’m exhausted!

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, crookedjackson44 said:

A bit off this week's show, but I'm seeing stuff on Steve Moore, and I've been wracking my brain to remember where I've seen him before.  Hasn't been on Real Time a number of times?

Nine times according to IMDB.

1 hour ago, crookedjackson44 said:

A bit off this week's show, but I'm seeing stuff on Steve Moore, and I've been wracking my brain to remember where I've seen him before.  Hasn't been on Real Time a number of times?

Yes, and his appearances can be described as such: "Says something preposterous, follows with obnoxious chortling laugh". People like him and another Maher favorite, Jack Kingston (I'm sure there are more, but those are two that immediately come to mind) are among the biggest reasons why I don't watch CNN anymore. There's "listening to the other side" and then there's "giving idiots air time for no good reason".

I agree that this week's show was pretty much a snoozefest. New Rules just seemed to be  meandering ruminations about this newfangled technology these days and how you shouldn't assemble IKEA furniture when you're stoned. 

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, littlecatsfeet said:

New Rules just seemed to be  meandering ruminations about this newfangled technology these days and how you shouldn't assemble IKEA furniture when you're stoned. 

I thought New Rules was hilarious this week.  I laughed out loud at Bill talking about having an argument with his car.

• Love 4

I didn’t think the show was offensive this week.  It was dull because everyone on the panel was polite and didn’t shout over each other, nor spout absolute lies as truth.  That is why it was dull.

20 hours ago, crookedjackson44 said:

Yes..he was sort of a regular guest for awhile. Total asshat. 

23 hours ago, ganesh said:

As soon as she said colleges are indoctrinating I tuned out. I'd suggest having on an actual professor to explain why not because they're doing about 50 million things a week but they wouldn't have time to come on because they're doing 50 million things a week. 

If dudes can't get laid, they could also just jerk off more and calm the fuck down. Or grow the fuck up. It's not a big secret that women like men who take care of their own shit. It's not really my problem. 

I'm sorry to tell the congressman, but people care more about their guns than kids. That's a documented fact. 

"Colleges are indoctrinating students" is a conservative and right wing talking point that is ludicrous. Students come to college today armed with a ton of knowledge due to the amount of information they are exposed to via the Internet and 24 hour cable news. If they are becoming "indoctrinated" it's happening way before they enter college. They can join any online group from their cellphones and laptops. They don't need to go to college to join up with a group that is subterranean in thought or anti social. Most underclassmen have PA's and don't even see a professor much at all until junior year. This argument that students are coming to college a blank slate with little knowledge about issues and world views might have been true in the 50's, 60's and 70's but not now. Bill cannot accept the fact that college age students aren't interested in his humor and have no interest in seeing his show on their campus. Sorry Bill...you're as old as their parents and they aren't your demographic anymore. Don't blame their disinterest in you on a college professor. Give me a break.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
On 3/23/2019 at 1:16 PM, crookedjackson44 said:

A bit of a yawner.  Weak cast, and Bill seems as if he couldn't get out of the first interview fast enough.

On 3/23/2019 at 1:46 PM, CaliCheeseSucks said:

It was a surprisingly lethargic show, given all the news of the week and the breaking news of the day. 

Just got around to this week's show. I thought Overtime was pretty good, which suggests that the problem wasn't the panel, but that Bill was more interested in beating his favorite dead horses about the "problem with liberal"s and kids these days instead of dealing with the more interesting news. I do think this week shows why Bill loves him some blowhards because this was a more thoughtful, reactive panel which meant that we needed Bill to actually be involved and moderate instead of letting somebody filibuster until it was time for a scripted bit and we see how that turned out....

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 5

Was she the woman he interviewed in the beginning? I thought she had the same annoying contradictory complaints about apologizing that Bill always has: It was ridiculous for those attention-seeking college students to link Chelsea Clinton's post about anti-Semitism to the Christchurch attacks....but if women are going to talk shit about white men on the internet don't be surprised when Incels shoot people up. 

She struck me as being a bit of a kook. When she got to the story of putting peanut butter on her lips for her dog to lick it off I couldn't tell if she was being serious or not.

Bill's New Rules sermon shows us he's becoming more and more of a grumpy old man.

It struck me that way as well, although I did have to agree about the cars. There are just way too many computer controlled features now and it's just more stuff to break. I've only had my new car for about six or seven months and already two things are wrong with it!

Bill cannot accept the fact that college age students aren't interested in his humor and have no interest in seeing his show on their campus. Sorry Bill...you're as old as their parents and they aren't your demographic anymore. Don't blame their disinterest in you on a college professor.

He's never going to get past being butt-hurt over getting dis-invited to Berkley. College kids forever more will be considered snowflakes to him. Honestly - one school, one incident, and that's enough for him to dismiss an entire institution and generation.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

It struck me that way as well, although I did have to agree about the cars. There are just way too many computer controlled features now and it's just more stuff to break. I've only had my new car for about six or seven months and already two things are wrong with it!

My takeaway from it was that because it's software, the components don't undergo the rigorous testing that a mechanical part would, and there's just a drive to shove as much in there as possible. 

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

He's never going to get past being butt-hurt over getting dis-invited to Berkley.

*Berkeley. Sorry. What happened? Did Bill get disinvited to Berkeley? He's never mentioned it. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1