Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E16: Chapter Fifty-One: Big Fun

Bort
  • Start Topic

As rehearsals for this year's musical "Heathers: The Musical" get underway, Cheryl, as queen bee Heather Chandler, channels her own HBIC to deal with a recent fallout. Meanwhile, Betty grows increasingly annoyed by Evelyn's involvement with the musical – as well as the lives of her friends. Elsewhere, Veronica learns some devastating news about her family, and Archie and Josie make a decision about their future. Lastly, Jughead makes a surprising move against Gladys.

Airdate: Wednesday, March 20, 2019

The intro.. love Hermione trying to be a mayor and not let heathers happen. Ugh.. I’m sorry not digging the Veggie of this. Because of course veronica has to be in love with Reggie now. Of course she does. Aw Bughead singing. They continue to be the best part of this show to me. Although I have to say the intro is kind of cringe worthy. The one last year was much better in my opinion.

Eh.. is it bad that I didn’t like the opening?

Okay well at least they clear up that Choni has broken up. Also Kevin is a great director that just allows people to choose what roles they want. 

Love betty losing her mind over Kevin asking Evelyn to be his co director because he always directs the musical. Like that only one he did. Ha. Odd scene to have Reggie act like he and Archie are best friends. This show needs conversation scenes. Also Cheryl looked super happy when Kevin was like “so we need a choreographer..” like he was going to say someone she would have liked until he said Toni. Also yeah.. at this point I just assumed Toni has moved out of Cheryl’s house into the farm because otherwise, isn’t it stupid for Kevin to make Toni the choreographer knowing she and Cheryl just broke up and Cheryl won’t listen to her and is Toni really the best dancer?  Whatever.

Evelyn doing cult things to the actors. 

Seriously Kevin is a moron for thinking Cheryl would do anything Toni wants her to do is laughable.

Candy store was good. But also maybe I’m over the Choni relationship but by the time it became a Choni fight song I was done. I’m so over them. Both of them are annoying.

Betty confronting Evelyn, she isn’t wrong but I really wish she would let go of the farm. Also she’s going to have a big party for the cast! And in costumes! 

Aw the Jones trailer got taken.

So the Lodges are getting separated. Okay a little too late. Also why is veronica acting shocked? Also of

Course this is what will drive veronica to confess feelings for Reggie.  This is really stupid.  Also wasn’t Hiram sort of already aware of the drug thing? Confusing. 

So Evelyn’s dad doesn’t care if she parties. Maybe because my theory is he isn’t really her dad he adopted her so he could have a teen to get teen kids to join his cult.

I wouldn’t drink anything at this party. Evelyn is probably drugging them all. And obviously Reggie and Veronica are going to hook up again.

And sweet pea catches Archie and Josie together.

So Evelyn is going to try and get Cheryl into the cult? 

Yup. Veggie is in bed together. Reggie says endgame and Veronica looks.. well she doesn’t answer just kisses him. I mean I would feel bad for Reggie if I liked him but I don’t really and Veggie is just ridiculous to me at this point. 

So Evelyn put fizzle rocks  in that brownie or cake  or whatever she gave Kevin, right and he saw midge on the wall? 

You know again I have to bring up anyone who joins the farm I don’t give a damn about and I wish betty didn’t either.  Because if she didn’t I wouldn’t worry for her safety.

Ugh, Evelyn is trying to get everyone’s secrets. Fangs and Kevin both see midges ghosts. Sweet pea is Confesisng his love for Josie. Aw betty is happy for Archie, (but didn’t she know already? Kind of odd no one knew but also a good meta commentary on how no one talks to anyone anymore on this show)everyone else is not. Also Veronica announcing about her parents.. ew to Evelyn. 

Aw Josie is mad about everyone finding out. Aw now she’s breaking up with him. Well that’s the end.

Also hey Reggie being smart about Veronica’s reason for hooking up. And yay the show isn’t making it like Veronica’s in love with him now. Thank you for that. Don’t ruin it by the end of the episode.

Seriously I.. hate both Cheryl and Toni in this episode. This episode feels like a Choni episode. The talk of them getting zero screen time should stop now.  

Bughead scene being adorable. Jughead asking if she wants to go hunting with him.. squeal.

Seriously what the hell is the cult doing? Are they marrying Kevin and fangs in the cult? What. The. Hell? Also so the “select” cast members were random extras(I didn’t see anyone notable there so someone correct me if I’m wrong) Fangs(who is he playing in the musical), the director Kevin and Evelyn the co director. Yup a very select rehearsal.

Archie in the gym and Josie stops by. I really like them, it’s a shame there’s an egg timer on them. They sing well together too. So... they’re together now? 

Oh betty weatherbee won’t help you at all. He’s in the cult too because of course he is.

Hey look toni and Cheryl having a conversation. And people say these types of things would be boring. No. Things need to be talked about. This was a good scene. 

Aw, Jughead is sad about the trailer.  And hey look betty and Jughead are having a conversation too!!!! And they start singing. 

Aw I like this song, I wish it could have just been a Bughead duet though. But Bughead for the win in this scene. I mean I liked that Choni actually had a conversation. I wish there more scenes like that.  

Aw Jughead really wants the trailer back. 

Okay now it makes sense why hiram wants a divorce, Hermione did try to kill him but veronica being like “dad family is family!” Uh.. huh? You sound real stupid. And now veronica sings a solo and is probably going to be like “I love Reggie”.  Or she’s going to invite her parents to the musical?  At this point I’ve decided that almost everyone is now wrapped up in The cult and this is part of the plan.

Gladys being a lying liar about the drugs.

So Jughead was never really in the musical, just an ending song for a minute.

Aw Jughead and Betty burning the trailer. And that scene. Also love that betty fixes all get problems by fire.

So the ending scene was a cult thing? Kind of odd that Alice wasn’t in this episode, seemed like a big moment for the cult plot.Well at least all the kids looked freaked out.. except for Evelyn and probably Kevin. 

Honestly this was okay.. I liked the Bughead moments. Not sure we will get another episode with as many but hopefully we will. I liked last year’s musical episode  better though.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Wilpen said:

I didn’t watch it in full yet but we got so many Bughead moments! Passionate moments! Yay! Back when I watch the entire episode. 

Bughead was the highlight for me. Not CMM like many others. I don’t really like him so.. but Bughead for the win. They really are the only reason I’m still here as I say.

As I said I thought the musical last year was a much better episode.

• Love 3

It's a shame the writers will never give Veronica considerate writing.  I think Camila Mendes has improved a great deal.  Emotion wasn't her strong suit and I still wouldn't give her an award, but I thought her scenes were very well done this episode.  The writing is at fault (IMO).

Not surprised that she's shaken over her family going their separate ways.  It's always been just the 3 of them.  Angry or Happy, who else does she have?

I was really surprised at Reggie.  He is not getting pulled in with Veronica at the moment but he was, dare I say it, sweet and tender when talking about why.   I use to think Veronica was the most mature character on canvas but I think she just PLAYS mature.  A little girl dealing with big girl problems.

She's like those people that have read a lot but have ZERO real world experience.  Reggie is more mature then her on an emotional level.

Hiram was practically seething.  You can tell he's about 3 feet from being done with Veronica too.  I always said she'd regret siding with a "boyfriend" over her parents.

I liked the Candy Store number.  And Lifeboat.  The rest, Meh.

• Love 2
Just now, HeatLifer said:

OF COURSE I like Josie and Archie. So OF COURSE Ashleigh’s leaving. 😌

Yup, it makes me sad that they’ve out effort into this relationship when we all know it’s on a timer. It’s really strange to me. But whatever.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yup, it makes me sad that they’ve out effort into this relationship when we all know it’s on a timer. It’s really strange to me. But whatever.

It’s not like I thought it was going to last, and I don’t even think it’s the writing, it’s that KJ and Ashleigh are just....good together. KJ’s singing voice even sounds better with her. I’m emotional rn!

• Love 2
Just now, HeatLifer said:

It’s not like I thought it was going to last, and I don’t even think it’s the writing, it’s that KJ and Ashleigh are just....good together. KJ’s singing voice even sounds better with her. I’m emotional rn!

Right? I knew it was probably going to be a rebound thing for Archie but then they got togetrher and then they announced the spin off and here we are.  I mean look Bughead owns my heart(their scenes tonight were amazing.. they are the best ship on this show) but Josie and Archie are a close second.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Right? I knew it was probably going to be a rebound thing for Archie but then they got togetrher and then they announced the spin off and here we are.  I mean look Bughead owns my heart(their scenes tonight were amazing.. they are the best ship on this show) but Josie and Archie are a close second.

They should be the real core four. Sigh. I’m going to need support when Varchie’s awfulness inevitably  returns. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

They should be the real core four. Sigh. I’m going to need support when Varchie’s awfulness inevitably  returns. 

I’m kind of meh on Varchie. But I do think Archie got treated badly by both veronica and Reggie. And like I said I don’t get the Veggie love. It feels forced to me and j can’t really see the chemistry and I don’t know why I jut roll my eyes at them when they are on screen. Especially with Reggie professing love.. I mean that’s hilarious to me.

Also I can warm up to Choni again but I hope they talk a little more. 

This episode was really great for me as a Bughead shipper. Their scenes in the trailer was beyond epic. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

’m kind of meh on Varchie. But I do think Archie got treated badly by both veronica and Reggie. And like I said I don’t get the Veggie love. It feels forced to me and j can’t really see the chemistry and I don’t know why I jut roll my eyes at them when they are on screen. Especially with Reggie professing love.. I mean that’s hilarious to me.

Agree on all. But something tells me the common denominator for me is Ronnie. Recently, I went from indifference to just...not being able to stand her. No one cares that your insane, murderous parents are divorcing, girl. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Agree on all. But something tells me the common denominator for me is Ronnie. Recently, I went from indifference to just...not being able to stand her. No one cares that your insane, murderous parents are divorcing, girl. 

Yeah, ever since the back half of this season all her reactions and emotions have been super off. They were writing her pretty consistent and her behavior towards her parents and then they kind of lost that because she’s no longer dating Archie she doesn’t have a reason to detests her parents? And she’s back to being a mob daughter? Okay...

• Love 2

And suddenly a wild Chad Michael Murray appears! 

That was an odd episode, even by Riverdale standards, but it was fun in a campy way, and you can tell the cast was having a ton of fun. I really like Josie and Archie, and they have such nice chemistry! They really do bring out the endearing normal teen in each other, they even sound good together. It sucks that it wont last, because it obviously it wont, but I want to enjoy it while it lasts. 

Of course Cheryl considers red to be HER color, and no one elses. So are she and Toni cool again? I kind of figured they would be, but at least their fight means they can actually have some screen time! Toni sounded great in her songs, but then so did Cheryl. 

Veronica trying to parent trap her parents while saying she isnt is hilarious. For as grown up as Veronica dresses and acts, she is not very emotionally mature, maybe less than anyone of the main younger characters. The Lodges have been on the verg of splitering for ages, this kind of just makes it official.

So Weatherby is part of the cult? Really, it explains a lot. Although, why when the kids were performing, was it just the cult that were clapping? Why did all the non cult audience members just stand their and stare at them? Also, Jugheads expressions during the first part of the song were great. Like he just kept questioning why the hell he was even involved in this.

"Just two straight, single guys hanging out and doing some theater." Reggie is really coming a scene stealer for me. I love that he recognized that Veronica was using him to deal with her feeling jealous about Archie and Josie, and said he didnt want to be a part of that. So, are we ever going to deal with his abusive father? Maybe FP can get on that sometime soon, after the multiple cults and gangs and serial killers and evil DnD games are sorted out?

• Love 13
10 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

. I really like Josie and Archie, and they have such nice chemistry! They really do bring out the endearing normal teen in each other, they even sound good together. It sucks that it wont last, because it obviously it wont, but I want to enjoy it while it lasts. 

Same. I’m super happy and super bummed but the happiness is the prominent feeling. 

• Love 1

Reggie is really coming a scene stealer for me. I love that he recognized that Veronica was using him to deal with her feeling jealous about Archie and Josie, and said he didnt want to be a part of that. So, are we ever going to deal with his abusive father? 

I thought it was her parents that had her going to Reggie for "comfort."  I didn't think she seemed to concerned about Archie and Josie.  Unless I missed a scene.

I am surprised at how fond I'm becoming of Reggie.  Prior to the last few episodes I just viewed him as the hottest guy on the show.  Now they are actually making me like him.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

I thought it was her parents that had her going to Reggie for "comfort."  I didn't think she seemed to concerned about Archie and Josie.  Unless I missed a scene.

I am surprised at how fond I'm becoming of Reggie.  Prior to the last few episodes I just viewed him as the hottest guy on the show.  Now they are actually making me like him.

I think it was her parents. I’m not a Reggie fan as I’ve said and I don’t find that hot, I know I’m alone there. 

5 minutes ago, opus said:

I gotta agree with Hiram though. Someone tries to kill me twice, kind of a dealbreaker.

Well yeah, as I said once he stated that was reason I was like oh that makes sense but veronica being like “no family is family” is like.. what are you talking about? The writing for veronica is off the charts lately. It was consistent at the start of this season. Now they don’t seem to know what to do with her because they can’t fit her anywhere.

She works well with Betty-Hell as much as we lack beronica friendship scenes, at least I know veronica cares about Betty. Kevin who is a best friend of hers is a terrible person and friend to her- but unfortunately veronica hasn’t seemed to fit well in the core four as of late. Even the one they had the episode before this was one was so short and it didn’t make sense. Jughead tolerates her at best(I don’t understand people who ship that romance, he hardly interacts with her except for the noir episode and the episode where she gave the serpents jobs) and Archie and she are broken up and don’t talk either. It’s strange. She doesn’t have a place. I feel bad but it’s harder and harder to care for a character where the emotions are off the charts and don’t add up.

Also we never got the Toni and Betty scene that was shown in promotional stills for this episode. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

my 2 cents:

Was I the only one who felt like this was kinda like an episode of Glee?

This was definitely Coreys time to shine this episode. He rocked that opening number. In my opinion, he's the best singer on the show but then again he has the most stage experience of all the younger cast. speaking of singing....

Cole is an awesome actor but he really lacks in the singing department(not his fault)

Betty's really turning into a pyromaniac....

Hey Jughead, here's a plan, just let Hiram know about your mom is the one moving in on his drug business and just get Veronica out of the line of fire. The two of them will take each other out hopefully.

Kevin and Fangs? I'm good with it as long as we get to see some Kangs sex 

Chad Michael Murray? Well we know who'll be dead by the end of this season

At least we didn't see Fred this week. 

4 minutes ago, madhacker said:

my 2 cents:

Was I the only one who felt like this was kinda like an episode of Glee?

This was definitely Coreys time to shine this episode. He rocked that opening number. In my opinion, he's the best singer on the show but then again he has the most stage experience of all the younger cast. speaking of singing....

Cole is an awesome actor but he really lacks in the singing department(not his fault)

Betty's really turning into a pyromaniac....

Hey Jughead, here's a plan, just let Hiram know about your mom is the one moving in on his drug business and just get Veronica out of the line of fire. The two of them will take each other out hopefully.

Kevin and Fangs? I'm good with it as long as we get to see some Kangs sex 

Chad Michael Murray? Well we know who'll be dead by the end of this season

At least we didn't see Fred this week. 

I don’t know if Edgar is going to be dead by seasons end, I have a bad feeling about them keeping this cult thing around for another season now that they have locked down CMM.

also im assuming by Corey, you mean Casey?

Also i thought cole did pretty good.

And yes I agree this episode was more glee like than last year’s musical and it was odd.

Im unsure how I feel about the last number. That was strange. At one point I was seriously thinking that the kids were all in a cult like trance and now they’re inducted. It was just odd to me. Especially with all the reactions from the non cult members, like the Jones and the Lodges looked kind of freaked out and then no one but the cult members were clapping. It didn’t make sense. I said it in the spoiler thread that maybe the show should have leaned into that more and had them all get drugged up by Evelyn and performing this song that they turned creepy into a cult song.. because it was just really random to me.. I mean I know Riverdale is a lot of the time but this was.. I can’t even explain it.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, MollyWebber said:

It was supposed to be an odd and quiet moment. It was a collective Fuck You! from the teenagers to the adults in Riverdale. That was why the audience reacted the way they did. That part of the audience response had nothing to do with The Farm.

Oh. It didn’t really translate that well for me for that but that’s just me. Also especially because Edgar and all the cult members really liked it. But whatever that’s just me. Sometimes I don’t get things but I didn’t get that. Don’t quote me on this because I don’t have a response other than that as I said , it didn’t translate in that way for me.

Again it’s kind of odd Alice wasn’t in this episode? Considering it was the big farm reveal of Edgar and all the others and learning weatherbee is in on the farm. I’m curious that neither Lodge parent is farm adjacent(at least not yet I guess) but I thought one of them was more than likely going to be a part of the cult as well.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

Also really good acting choice by KJ Apa during the "Seventeen" number at the end.   When he's staring at Veronica, you can tell he knows she's having a hard time with her family situation and feels bad for her.  

Even though they aren't together anymore, he's still someone that empathizes easily.  It was a nice nuance.

• Love 5

This show needs conversation scenes

Plays the organ 'cause you're preachin', girl! The strength of this insane show is the chemistry among the cast members; if they never speak the writers are leaving money on the table!

So, WhosThatGirl, you must admit that was enough Bughead to sate even your tender heart! Sigh...they're so cute together. Singing, solving mysteries, burning down childhood homes (Betty's expression while clearly thinking "got it right this time" was priceless) and getting roped into being onstage out of nowhere. They can do it all!

So, the episode!

I am old and grey and full of sleep and am about twenty years out of date when it comes to hip musicals. I remember watching Heathers as a film, for God's sake. So while I probably didn't get a lot of the in jokes I have to say that when Riverdale does a musical number, they commit all the way. Dancing and singing in the hallways to make their case and that's just the beginning! Were they really about to go full Teenager Three Way on the stage during Toni's number? Holy crap! 

If we wanted proof Kevin is fully submerged into Farm ideology, the idea of having a co-director who is using rehearsals as recruitment/blackmail gathering sessions should do the trick. I hope Evelyn's horrific interpretation of "Method" was a joke and nobody thinks that's how that acting discipline really works; even without the whole "marriage in the SOQU chapel" thing that was enraging. NO, weirdo, I am not telling you my secrets, nor anybody else on this stage, thanks. 

(Also, I can name exactly not one costume designer/wardrobe mistress who would be cool with a bunch of teenagers spilling blue jello shots down their costumes while getting them sweaty and gross at some teen party. Evelyn you are the worst.)

That bizarre rite, by the way, actually has precedence in real-world cult activities: marriage or bonding to somebody whom the leader picks out for you. Google Reverend Moon if you want a really huge example.

Archie just enjoying himself onstage and having an age-appropriate relationship discussion was a breath of fresh air. Not only did he not have to play dumb but he and Josie actually pulled off the idea that they could be a couple. So of course Ashleigh is leaving. Sigh...we can't have nice things in Riverdale.

Reggie is fast becoming the center of sanity and realistic thinking in this whirlpool and just stop and think about that for a second. He's got crack comic timing, plus he's smart enough to say Veronica, I don't want to keep hoping this is something that it isn't. Good for him.

And Veronica. Of course she's devastated by her parents splitting up: it's always better the devil you know, and the bizarro world of her family was actually a bulwark against the outside forces that make up her life. It's not that she doesn't know that The Dreadful Hs aren't terrible people who have tried to destroy her and each other all their lives; it's that she keeps hoping things will be different. And since her parents programmed her since birth to put family above all this is like somebody coming up to you and saying the ground no longer exists. 

Speaking of terrible parents, hey Edgar! The show finally revealed your existence, plus managed to give Evelyn a microsecond of sympathy: of all the parents in this town, of all the terrible, terrible things they've raised their kids to believe and do, I really think Evelyn wins the prize for worst. Even Hiram could probably be talked around out of killing Veronica in the end: Edgar would probably murder Evelyn for looking at him wrong.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Snookums said:

Plays the organ 'cause you're preachin', girl! The strength of this insane show is the chemistry among the cast members; if they never speak the writers are leaving money on the table!

So, WhosThatGirl, you must admit that was enough Bughead to sate even your tender heart! Sigh...they're so cute together. Singing, solving mysteries, burning down childhood homes (Betty's expression while clearly thinking "got it right this time" was priceless) and getting roped into being onstage out of nowhere. They can do it all!

So, the episode!

I am old and grey and full of sleep and am about twenty years out of date when it comes to hip musicals. I remember watching Heathers as a film, for God's sake. So while I probably didn't get a lot of the in jokes I have to say that when Riverdale does a musical number, they commit all the way. Dancing and singing in the hallways to make their case and that's just the beginning! Were they really about to go full Teenager Three Way on the stage during Toni's number? Holy crap! 

If we wanted proof Kevin is fully submerged into Farm ideology, the idea of having a co-director who is using rehearsals as recruitment/blackmail gathering sessions should do the trick. I hope Evelyn's horrific interpretation of "Method" was a joke and nobody thinks that's how that acting discipline really works; even without the whole "marriage in the SOQU chapel" thing that was enraging. NO, weirdo, I am not telling you my secrets, nor anybody else on this stage, thanks. 

(Also, I can name exactly not one costume designer/wardrobe mistress who would be cool with a bunch of teenagers spilling blue jello shots down their costumes while getting them sweaty and gross at some teen party. Evelyn you are the worst.)

That bizarre rite, by the way, actually has precedence in real-world cult activities: marriage or bonding to somebody whom the leader picks out for you. Google Reverend Moon if you want a really huge example.

Archie just enjoying himself onstage and having an age-appropriate relationship discussion was a breath of fresh air. Not only did he not have to play dumb but he and Josie actually pulled off the idea that they could be a couple. So of course Ashleigh is leaving. Sigh...we can't have nice things in Riverdale.

Reggie is fast becoming the center of sanity and realistic thinking in this whirlpool and just stop and think about that for a second. He's got crack comic timing, plus he's smart enough to say Veronica, I don't want to keep hoping this is something that it isn't. Good for him.

And Veronica. Of course she's devastated by her parents splitting up: it's always better the devil you know, and the bizarro world of her family was actually a bulwark against the outside forces that make up her life. It's not that she doesn't know that The Dreadful Hs aren't terrible people who have tried to destroy her and each other all their lives; it's that she keeps hoping things will be different. And since her parents programmed her since birth to put family above all this is like somebody coming up to you and saying the ground no longer exists. 

Speaking of terrible parents, hey Edgar! The show finally revealed your existence, plus managed to give Evelyn a microsecond of sympathy: of all the parents in this town, of all the terrible, terrible things they've raised their kids to believe and do, I really think Evelyn wins the prize for worst. Even Hiram could probably be talked around out of killing Veronica in the end: Edgar would probably murder Evelyn for looking at him wrong.

You know me, I loved all the Bughead. That’s what I’m doing here. I feel like this is the episode that was for my little shipper heart and might be the only one for some time but it was good. It definitely reinforced everything I feel about them as the best couple on this show.

And thank you for co-signing me on why this show needs to have more talk scenes. Sorry off camera talks are dumb, we can’t just canon everything away off screen just because you want the show to move at a lighting rod speed plot.. maybe it can’t and maybe you need to address your actual plot points before getting new ones but I digress.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, Snookums said:

I just made myself really sad by remembering that Archie will lose his father and Josie. 😭

2 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I thought it was weird that everybody starts out downing a cup of blue Fresh-Aid. I guess everybody's fear of "Gryphons and Gargoyles" is the furthest thing from their mind.

Yeah I mentioned this sort of in my first post that no one should have drank anything at Evelyn’s party. Did betty even go? That whole scene was super fast, I can’t remember seeing her? And Jughead wasn’t there because he wSbt in the musical and if betty went I don’t think she was drinking anything. 

Again sadly the actress who plays Evelyn does nothing for me but I guess at least they are doing something with the character now? Sort of? It took them so long and it’s definitely not how she was first introduced when they were looking for an actress for the character. I remember the description on the sides that she was supposed to resemble Betty in a way and nothing abouty the actress resembles Betty/Lili. Also they wrote she was supposed to befriend Betty and want to be her new best friend and while Evelyn has said a few things most of them have been sort of snarky. I thought for sure she was going to be some sort of single white female character but she isn’t. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 2
Just now, WhosThatGirl said:
Just now, AnimeMania said:

I thought it was weird that everybody starts out downing a cup of blue Fresh-Aid. I guess everybody's fear of "Gryphons and Gargoyles" is the furthest thing from their mind.

Yeah I mentioned this sort of in my first post that no one should have drank anything at Evelyn’s party. Did betty even go? That whole scene was super fast, I can’t remember seeing her? And Jughead wasn’t there because he wSbt in the musical and if betty went I don’t think she was drinking anything. 

I was referring to the scene before the party, they were all on stage celebrating with tiny cups of blue liquid.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I was referring to the scene before the party, they were all on stage celebrating with tiny cups of blue liquid.

Oh I must have missed that moment. Maybe it had something to do with the movie/musical heathers? I’ve never seen either.

Again i have to say I loved all the Bughead in this episode but I personally think last year’s musical episode was much better. I don’t know why but this had way too much going on and didn’t flow as good. Which is kind of like this seasons staple. How many plots are going on right now? And not even just little plots.. everything is a major plot and none of them really align with each other all that much.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Advance35 said:

It's a shame the writers will never give Veronica considerate writing.  I think Camila Mendes has improved a great deal.  Emotion wasn't her strong suit and I still wouldn't give her an award, but I thought her scenes were very well done this episode.  The writing is at fault (IMO).

I really really love how she did Lifeboat, which is insane because my expectations were on the floor for this ep. I I love Heathers, I love Heathers the Musical, and musicals are not this shows strong suit. I thought it was really convoluted, but Camila did shine. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Snookums said:

I am old and grey and full of sleep and am about twenty years out of date when it comes to hip musicals. 

Heathers the musical wasn't a very very big musical! Literally no one knows about it, but it was off broadway the summer of 2014 and was just done over in London, (off???) west end. I think it's gained the same type of cult following the movie did (now its more consider a "basic" musical, I think) so anyway: you're not the only one. It falls in line with them doing Carrie last year. Small musicals with cult followings!

(sorry for the double post!)

Edited by allonsyalice
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, MollyWebber said:

You will be very happy to know that Seventeen, their full song version not the cast version, is being streamed and downloaded like crazy since the episode aired. 

Aw yay. I streamed it a few times, it was so good!

13 hours ago, madhacker said:

They didn't have him sing a note in the first musical last year and they should have kept to that.

I absolutely love the movie Heathers (the "woke" t.v. reboot does not exist for me) and the musical actually looks like it's pretty good. Shame it had such a short-run on Off-Broadway.

I wish they made another musical... The music and songs was so bad... The plot also wasn't that good. Very strange episode. Kinda interesting ending though. 😉

Edited by lorbeer
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, MollyWebber said:

I don't think any of them are on the same level as Ashleigh but I thought Casey, Cami, Lili, and Vanessa were great and everyone else did just fine. No one is trying to say they were professional level. Lili said it best in an interview that it's something fun and different for them. The majority of them are not looking for a singing career so it's a treat for some of them to get the chance to sing as part of their acting job. 

Yeah, I wasn’t expecting it to be great and fabulous for all of them and I was expecting Cole to not even be that good and he actually was quite good. He doesn’t want to be a singer and had never expressed to be one so..

I think Casey is actually on par with Ashleigh though, doesn’t he have a musical background?

I also think Lili does really well too. 

As I said I liked last year’s musical episode  better, it just flowed better for me. Something about this episode was just off putting and the editing if it all.

I did love all the Bughead though. This episode actually had some great moments for me. Whoever wrote this episode wrote good for them, I used to think only RAS can write them. That said RAS does write better cohesive episodes in general but whoever wrote this episode actually wrote some decent moments as well.

Also the Bughead/Choni duet is kind of sad when you think about the song.. no they sadly can’t be seventeen. Especially not Bughead. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl

I don't know anything about singing but a thought Jughead was better than Kevin who was better than Archie who was 100x better than Reggie (who sounded like he was just talking the words).

I thought Betty was the best female singer maybe tied with Josie (who I assume was hired for her singing voice). 

I didn't really like the songs, the lyrics seemly strangely chosen, like they could be interpreted several different ways, but I liked Betty and Jughead's song the best sounding great separately, although together the voices could have blended better.

55 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah I don’t get the hate on Coles voice? It was pretty good actually. 

Everyone is gonna hear what they hear. Like, I can’t stand Cami’s singing voice. Legit have to mute her screech, but other people like it? It’s preference.

15 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Everyone is gonna hear what they hear. Like, I can’t stand Cami’s singing voice. Legit have to mute her screech, but other people like it? It’s preference.

Yeah, you’re right, I guess. People like what they like.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, MollyWebber said:

Totally personal preference! While I think Ashleigh is an exceptional singer and sounds amazing solo I don't think she sounds as good in duets. I think Lili slays the duets because her voice is very pure and controlled, and she can adapt to and meld with other voices quite well. I love KJ and think he's an extremely talented musician but don't think he sings very well. I think Cole sounded better than him last night but I'm sure someone else thinks KJ sounded great and better than Cole last night.

I just appreciated it all regardless because they looked like they were having such a great time. I give them props because it's not an easy thing to do and I'm sure some of them had anxiety about singing or dancing.

Lili had tweeted when they were filming this episode that she had to dance and she was really nervous about it.

and last night she said the duet scene was her favorite scene she had filmed on Riverdale so far which makes my heart go aw.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 3

I enjoyed it.  I'd heard of Heathers but had never heard the music before, liked quite a bit of it - I hadn't realized Laurence O'Keefe was the composer.  I like his stuff.  I really liked the opening number, Veronica's "Lifeboat" song, and "Seventeen."

I thought Cole acquitted himself fine for a non-singer.  He didn't have a ton of solo lines, and to my ears, he didn't embarrass himself or anything.  I thought Casey sounded great.  His voice seemed really familiar to me; I feel like it reminds me of another Broadway actor's, but I can't place whose.

I liked Betty and Jughead's scenes together here, especially that low moment in the trailer before they sang "Seventeen" and the way they were both oddly contented after burning it down.  Also?  Informing someone (who isn't in the play) that he's been randomly added to the closing number and telling his girlfriend to teach him his line/the choreography after opening night has already started is such a high-school production thing to do - made me laugh.

I'm really digging the respect Archie is showing to Josie.  There was that lovely "can I kiss you?" moment when they first got together, and here, in his "let's fight for this" speech, he made it clear that what he was saying only applied if Josie liked him but was backing off from a relationship Because Reasons; that if she really wasn't into him, he'd leave it alone.  I feel like it shouldn't be so noteworthy to see a guy take his love interest's thoughts and feelings into account, but it absolutely made me sit up and take notice.  Way to go, Archie!

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, angora said:

I enjoyed it.  I'd heard of Heathers but had never heard the music before, liked quite a bit of it - I hadn't realized Laurence O'Keefe was the composer.  I like his stuff.  I really liked the opening number, Veronica's "Lifeboat" song, and "Seventeen."

I thought Cole acquitted himself fine for a non-singer.  He didn't have a ton of solo lines, and to my ears, he didn't embarrass himself or anything.  I thought Casey sounded great.  His voice seemed really familiar to me; I feel like it reminds me of another Broadway actor's, but I can't place whose.

I liked Betty and Jughead's scenes together here, especially that low moment in the trailer before they sang "Seventeen" and the way they were both oddly contented after burning it down.  Also?  Informing someone (who isn't in the play) that he's been randomly added to the closing number and telling his girlfriend to teach him his line/the choreography after opening night has already started is such a high-school production thing to do - made me laugh.

I'm really digging the respect Archie is showing to Josie.  There was that lovely "can I kiss you?" moment when they first got together, and here, in his "let's fight for this" speech, he made it clear that what he was saying only applied if Josie liked him but was backing off from a relationship Because Reasons; that if she really wasn't into him, he'd leave it alone.  I feel like it shouldn't be so noteworthy to see a guy take his love interest's thoughts and feelings into account, but it absolutely made me sit up and take notice.  Way to go, Archie!

Yeah I feel like for the most part all the teenage boys on this show are respectful. Even Reggie who while I’m not a fan they seem to make him pretty decent to the girls he likes. They even redeemed chuck in this area as well in last year’s musical. Also while I think we are supposed to be mad at sweet pea for outing the Josie Archie thing, I kind of feel bad for him? He did really like Josie and she blew him off.

1 hour ago, MollyWebber said:

I love KJ and think he's an extremely talented musician but don't think he sings very well. 

He sounds too sweet. I feel like I just overdosed on sugar, lol. 

48 minutes ago, Wilpen said:

He sounds too sweet. I feel like I just overdosed on sugar, lol. 

KJ is so pure, lol. But I also think he sings like he’s trying to sound like Archie as opposed to KJ’s natural accent, if that makes sense.

• Love 1

I thought this was a fun episode (Big Fun).  Not the greatest thing ever, but this show was getting into a rut and needed something to break it up and change the pace.  

I thought the music was pretty good, although unlike some here I thought the Lifeboat song Veronica sang was kind of dumb.

I liked the touch at the end with Betty wearing the Jughead shirt.  About the only reason I'm watching this is for Bughead.

The creepy clapping by the Farm people was effective, but it bugged me that NO ONE ELSE in the whole theater broke into any sort of applause when the play ended!?  Not realistic.  I mean, c'mon, it wasn't that bad.

• Love 6

Can't figure out what is going on with this show. Loved the first year. I don't know why they would have put Josie and Archie together...after Val and when they KNOW they would never let Archie be with anyone other than Veronica or Betty .  Having missed most of last year and almost all of this year I don't know how they got together.  the odds of the other show working out are slim since this one is slipping. I liked the way they deviated from the comics with the betty jughead pairing and I do wish they would do the same for Archie.  Could it be that Josie is guarding her heart because Archie is so wishy washy, and because she feels it is just a matter of time before he runs back to Veronica?

1 hour ago, HeatLifer said:

KJ is so pure, lol. But I also think he sings like he’s trying to sound like Archie as opposed to KJ’s natural accent, if that makes sense.

Makes complete sense. Totally agree! 

• Love 2