Type keyword(s) to search

Matt and Caryn

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

I already said that I recall the reduced tuition and of course that would count as payment.

We sent our kids to a private school here in Portland as well and if you volunteered a certain number of hours you got reduced tuition.  

What Amy was doing seemed a bit more than that--she seemed to me minding the pre-school kids.  I remember some sort of concert.

• Useful 1

And to bring this back to Matt, around this time he was 1) running the farm 2) trying to get Direct Access Solutions off the ground 3) President of the LPA 4) pitching the TV series.

I think both were working hard.  The difference was that Matt wasn't making much money while Amy was piece mealing her gigs to may bills, including school tuition, soccer fees, and household bills.

No judgement at all--Amy was focused on living in the here and now and Matt was chasing the big dreams.  This can work for couples if they are both bought in and agree on their roles.                                                                                                                                      

In this case they weren't.

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Love 4

A few things folks:

• No one owes anyone proof.  Everyone is capable of doing research or rewatching episodes if they care to. 
  • With all of the research that some folks do, no one will be finding pay stubs online (or at least I sincerely hope not.  Unless the person being paid posts it, there are some major privacy implications). 
  • As always, watch your tone.  This is not a court of law.  No one is on the witness stand.
  • Opinions diverge greatly on this board in regards to Matt and Amy.  That's okay.  They are opinions, not statements of fact. (See above re: not a court of law). 

Questions or comments?  PM @PrincessPurrsALot directly.  We do not discuss moderator actions in the forums. 

• Love 1

Mike and Camerino ran the farm. I don't think LPA was ever meant to be profitable. Direct Solutions was too new for profit. And truthfully the show was an extreme long shot.

Amy has said she was working to make sure the kids had food. When one spouse says that and the other bitches about the state of the house and doesn't go get a real job something is very wrong with the second parent.

• Love 11
51 minutes ago, bobalina said:

Mike and Camerino ran the farm. I don't think LPA was ever meant to be profitable. Direct Solutions was too new for profit. And truthfully the show was an extreme long shot.

Amy has said she was working to make sure the kids had food. When one spouse says that and the other bitches about the state of the house and doesn't go get a real job something is very wrong with the second parent.

Until...second parent is so successful none of the family ever has to work again!

I hope this ungrateful bunch said thank you!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

So basically she was hanging out with her kids, which is all she ever did anyway.

No actual jobs out in the larger world.

The soccer coaching sure.

Teaching preschool, or working as an aide to the preschool? No, not hanging out with her kids.

Being the admin for the soccer club, also not "hanging out with her kids". The preschool work in particular was a job out in the larger world.  Any job that brings in money has value when there's no money coming in, in my opinion. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, bobalina said:

No, LPA wasn't meant to be profitable, but it was a way to gain visibility to pitch the show--The Johnstons were also able to successfully pitch a show and met with Matt at an LPA conference.

Yes, Mike and Camerino worked on the farm, most farms that size have paid employees.  But Matt was the one making the decisions.  He ran the farm.

Matt partnered with Mike on DAS.  It was new and probably just breaking even.  It was a long term play.

Amy's work paid/offset tuition, paid for soccer and paid household bills.  She worked hard to raise her kids.

My two cents, Matt and Amy weren't aligned on priorities.  She needed more stability and resented that he wasn't bringing in the money that he did in sales at Altos or Sequent.  He didn't want to travel for sales anymore and had a dream about fame, fortune and the farm.  

I'm not particularly a fan of either Roloff parent, but I don't have a problem with what both wanted and did for their livelihood. To me, they both were working.  And I understand how both could have been frustrated with their spouse. 

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Then I suggest a rewatch of season one. I'd have to do it myself to exactly direct you. Which I might, I haven't watched the first season in a while but no guarantees when. 

Thanks I’ll check it out 👍🏻

• Love 1
On 11/29/2021 at 1:07 PM, Ms.Lulu said:

Amy's work paid/offset tuition, paid for soccer and paid household bills.  She worked hard to raise her kids.

I watched this series early on, but lost interest until this year.  I'm in love with Jackson.

On 11/29/2021 at 1:07 PM, Ms.Lulu said:

My two cents, Matt and Amy weren't aligned on priorities.  She needed more stability and resented that he wasn't bringing in the money that he did in sales at Altos or Sequent.

As I watched in those early days, I also RESENTED almost everything about Matt.  He wasn't as rude or backbiting to Amy at the time, but as his ego showed itself, apparently putting her down was fine with him--AND THE VIEWERS...who continue to ridicule her today.  Was she ever complimented for all the hard work she did?  She doesn't have to do it the way Matt prefers...or the way Viewers would do it.  She had a disability and didn't let that stop her. The father in that family did NOT present a good role model--in how to treat the woman you love, how to show admiration and love for one's mother.  Nope!  Amy has her faults, but I'll stand behind her all the way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

image.thumb.png.81197f2dbc2de5e50372b4cffbba1188.png

So, we have Matt professing his pride in Jacob the son who is into weed and may be mooching off the farm currently, complete with giving him an antique restored car. Add in some incoherence and weird capitalization  - "But Don't forget about our dinner celebration tomorrow night with Caryn and I take long you and your family..." methinks all the Roloffs have some literacy issues. And a tendency to overpraise the kids. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Jacob seems to have moved into first place in both parents' estimation.  Stealth!

He was smart and waited until the others fought so much that Matt became easy pickings with less expectations. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

He was smart and waited until the others fought so much that Matt became easy pickings with less expectations. 

It's easy to be patient when you're stoned. 

He has that sympathy/guilt thing from the alleged abuse going for him, too.

And a baby named after Matt!

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 2

Let's be very careful in how we speak of any sexual abuse.  Alleged is an okay term to use in this case because we do not know definitively if the abuser was tried and convicted of a crime against Jacob.  However, he was convicted of sex crimes against a minor.  Also, please remember that posters on this board may have experienced similar victimization.  With that in mind, let's limit collateral damage. 

• Love 4

Pulled from the Jeremy and Audrey thread as its more appropriately addressed here

Jeanne222 said:

All of the Roloff’s are living large thanks to Matt’s vision of the land and the show. 

Taking into consideration that he had no partner he did a really great job for all of them. 

Correction - Matt had a partner. Her name was Amy and he was married to her for 25 years. Because he had her in his life, he did not have to worry about who would feed his babies, wash them, change their diapers, go to school events, etc etc etc, leaving him to have a career. Matt would not have had the option of building play structures on the farm in his free time if Amy hadn't freed that time up for him to be creative by tending his children. And frankly, despite Matt saying he knew the marriage was a mistake as soon as he was married, he and Amy both seemed quite in love up until about season three and then things fell apart. There would be no show without Amy because the show was about the *family* not Matt. 

And if we really want to insist poor Matt didn't have a partner he could rely on then maybe Matt needs to own making a terrible life choice. Really, he knew the marriage was a mistake from the get go? Then why did he need 25 years to figure out how to get a divorce? Maybe instead of continually breeding with his despised not really a partner, Matt should have just called it quits four years into a marriage he knew wasn't working before he got her pregnant? How is he brilliant for choosing to live in misery for 25 years? 

I don't think they had a GREAT marriage but they did seem relatively happy until the show really enhanced their lifestyle. I don't believe Matt did all the work to where he didn't have a partner - he's really not physically capable of tending the kids and he couldn't have held the full time sales job for years with no help at home. There's a reason Oregon law splits assets 50/50 in marriages - including Matt and Amy's - too many men in the past got away with keeping the wife at home for years and then dumping her for a fresher model, leaving her with no money and no work history. 

• Love 12
On 1/18/2022 at 6:22 PM, all4mom2 said:

It's easy to be patient when you're stoned. 

He has that sympathy/guilt thing from the alleged abuse going for him, too.

And a baby named after Matt!

Stoned and stinky!

His hair always looks filthy and full of bugs.. 🐜 🕷

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

image.png.b77f8c61cc357f2e54290160c6d9e9c1.png

Ah Matt passive aggressively complaining about one of the kids! The man can't compliment any member of the family without also getting a dig in. Its also a nicely divisive slap to Zach and Jeremy, now Jacob is the hard working heir apparent. Matt's not happy if the family isn't torn apart. 

He manages to slap all three sons in the guise of a compliment. He's loudly and publicly disapproving of Jacob's political views, and he's slapping the twins with the lazy label since his audience knows who else worked the farm. If only he could have mentioned how Molly is never around, he'd have slapped all four. 

Edited by EllaWycliffe
  • Love 8

Wow what a crew ,stinky stoner, gold digger, and a new heir,a fuck pit of bullshit with this pack of zeros will make next season jam packed with crap,with the biggest asshole in charge matt,leading the way.I depend on this forum to keep me updated for I can not view this without being disgusted with this whole family of know-it alls and TLC for making this super shit show.Peace

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Makes me wonder if plans for the "dream house" have changed. 

Agreed!  Remodeling that big house will cost a very big chunk of change!! 

If Matt and Caryn aren't planning on moving into it (maybe too large for the two of them) perhaps Jacob and his family are the intended residents?? 

Only makes sense as Jeremy, Zach and, of course, Molly are comfortable in their own homes.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

If Matt and Caryn aren't planning on moving into it (maybe too large for the two of them) perhaps Jacob and his family are the intended residents?? 

I mean, its too large for a family of 10. ;)

More seriously, between cost in general, and supply chain issues, I question whether its wise to build a brand new house when there's a perfectly good McMansion right there with adaptions for Matt's size already in place. I know, I know, Caryn had "the vapors" over ever living in the big house but respectfully, she doesn't live with Matt now and appears to have no intention to live with Matt permanently  - they're not married and they act engaged but aren't and they live in separate homes. Yes they stay at the same home in AZ but thats a vacation home that Matt owns. Caryn's home needs really aren't a consideration until they commit to living together on a full time basis. 

What I would do - and to be honest, this assumes Caryn will at some point move in full time and that Jacob and Izzy are seriously considering moving in to the big house - is remodel the place to have a "grandparents suite" on the lower level. A bedroom, bathroom, living room and maybe kitchenette where the older couple still has full access to the house but can retreat if the younger family is being too rambunctious. That gives privacy and boundaries to both families and makes use of more of the space in the big house. 

Mind you, I don't think any of the kids would be wise to get into a rental situation with Matt (and I can't see Jacob and Izzy having the money to buy into the big house property) as Matt can be a little capricious, lets say. 

• Love 5
On 2/7/2022 at 3:26 PM, EllaWycliffe said:

I mean, its too large for a family of 10. ;)

More seriously, between cost in general, and supply chain issues, I question whether its wise to build a brand new house when there's a perfectly good McMansion right there with adaptions for Matt's size already in place. I know, I know, Caryn had "the vapors" over ever living in the big house but respectfully, she doesn't live with Matt now and appears to have no intention to live with Matt permanently  - they're not married and they act engaged but aren't and they live in separate homes. Yes they stay at the same home in AZ but thats a vacation home that Matt owns. Caryn's home needs really aren't a consideration until they commit to living together on a full time basis. 

What I would do - and to be honest, this assumes Caryn will at some point move in full time and that Jacob and Izzy are seriously considering moving in to the big house - is remodel the place to have a "grandparents suite" on the lower level. A bedroom, bathroom, living room and maybe kitchenette where the older couple still has full access to the house but can retreat if the younger family is being too rambunctious. That gives privacy and boundaries to both families and makes use of more of the space in the big house. 

Mind you, I don't think any of the kids would be wise to get into a rental situation with Matt (and I can't see Jacob and Izzy having the money to buy into the big house property) as Matt can be a little capricious, lets say. 

Caryn has some strange standards. It's ok to have sex with a woman's husband, but she draws the line at living in the woman's house? LOL

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, readheaded said:

Caryn has some strange standards. It's ok to have sex with a woman's husband, but she draws the line at living in the woman's house? LOL

Yeah that is a weird standard, isn't it? ;)

Right up there with how she likes to insist how she was Amy's *friend* OMG!

More seriously, I'm probably being too frugal with someone else's money but I just don't see Caryn's objection as a reason to spend upwards of a million dollars or more building a new McMansion when there's a McMansion right there with all of the accommodations Matt requires. To me it doesn't make sense to rip out those accommodations so that the house can be rented or just sit there and then build another house with the same accommodations essentially across the street... all because the girl friend is so hung up on the ex she can't live in the place? The girlfriend who isn't engaged to be married, who lives separately except for vacations? I mean, bitch must be awesome in the sack....

• Love 8
On 12/14/2021 at 7:09 PM, Back Atcha said:

I watched this series early on, but lost interest until this year.  I'm in love with Jackson.

As I watched in those early days, I also RESENTED almost everything about Matt.  He wasn't as rude or backbiting to Amy at the time, but as his ego showed itself, apparently putting her down was fine with him--AND THE VIEWERS...who continue to ridicule her today.  Was she ever complimented for all the hard work she did?  She doesn't have to do it the way Matt prefers...or the way Viewers would do it.  She had a disability and didn't let that stop her. The father in that family did NOT present a good role model--in how to treat the woman you love, how to show admiration and love for one's mother.  Nope!  Amy has her faults, but I'll stand behind her all the way.

I think Caryn gave Matt ultimatums and he did what was asked.  ( She went from Asst. mgr. to  his personal assistant first).  I think they included him moving out of the family home.  Buying Amy’s share and pressuring  her to move out. When all that didnt move quickly enough,  she left her ‘executive’ position, Matt seemed panicked, within a short time, Amy was gone. I think she let him know she’d be gone if he didn’t comply with the ultimatums.    Recently, I read, they purchased her mom and dads home in Arizona.  Evidently they were unable to find anything else😂.  Matt’s an idiot and the kids better be watchful or they’ll be left out in the cold.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
24 minutes ago, GladysCravits said:

Matt’s an idiot and the kids better be watchful or they’ll be left out in the cold.  

I mean, I'm of the opinion a parent's money is theirs to do with as they wish once I am 18 and fending for myself, so my heart won't weep if the kids don't have nice inheritances, but the whole "I won't live in Amy's house" routine makes me roll my eyes at Caryn, especially when she later whines she's not a gold digger. She was hardly jetting to Hawaii and Belize and the Caribbean and a vacation home in Arizona before she hooked up with Matt. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

...the whole "I won't live in Amy's house" routine makes me roll my eyes at Caryn, especially when she later whines she's not a gold digger. She was hardly jetting to Hawaii and Belize and the Caribbean and a vacation home in Arizona before she hooked up with Matt. 

Not (haha) a gold digger and NOT (haha) happy to get as much TV time as she could.  She's cute, but there's nothing else appealing about her.  She worked hard to get...and DESERVES Matt; let's see how long things last when he's no longer a TV "star."

• Love 3
On 11/29/2021 at 12:58 PM, EllaWycliffe said:

Teaching preschool, or working as an aide to the preschool? No, not hanging out with her kids.

Being the admin for the soccer club, also not "hanging out with her kids". The preschool work in particular was a job out in the larger world.

Considering the original post, I assume any "stay-at-home mom" is simply hanging out with her kids. Nuthin' else to worry about.  No laundry, grocery shopping/cooking, no medical appointments/concerns, no usual household drudge work...just happy-go-lucky "hanging out with kids" waiting for that ideal husband to come home.  Such a gig!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

She's cute, but there's nothing else appealing about her.

Oh I can be fair. I think she has a nice personality. If I had to choose between being friends with her and friends with Amy, I'd pick Caryn hands down because I find Amy way too needy. I also think she's more laid back than Amy

36 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

She worked hard to get...and DESERVES Matt; let's see how long things last when he's no longer a TV "star."

I think they will be fine until Matt's health goes south. First, I genuinely don't see Matt handling any sort of drop in mobility well. Second, she's younger and still pretty for her age and if they're not married without a pre-nup, I don't see her playing nurse maid for him... particularly if he's not a good patient and I sense he wouldn't be. I also don't see Matt handling it well if *she* had any sort of long term illness or disability, if only because Matt seems very self involved and about himself. Until then? There's money for fun and Caryn has her own place if Matt is too demanding. If I were Caryn, I would be wondering what the hold up was on marriage - she obviously wants it.

42 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Considering the original post, I assume any "stay-at-home mom" is simply hanging out with her kids. Nuthin' else to worry about.  No laundry, grocery shopping/cooking, no medical appointments/concerns, no usual household drudge work...just happy-go-lucky "hanging out with kids" waiting for that ideal husband to come home.  Such a gig!

Yeah, I never got the impression Amy was "Peggy Bundy" from Married With Children but opinions vary. I know Amy was never a great house cleaner, but she was pretty consistently shown grocery shopping, cooking, taking the kids to school, their many sporting events, dealing with their homework, medical issues etc. The issue with her jobs is that if she wasn't, with multiple part time jobs, making as much as Matt did when he was selling software, then its as though she wasn't working at all. Now I would never say her part time secretary work for the soccer, coaching soccer, and preschool teaching was *completely covering their expenses the way Matt's software job did* but Matt lost that job and didn't work for two years so there was no money coming in from Matt's software job. Matt spent a couple years "dreaming" which is why money was tight season one and Amy was working part time jobs to stop the budget from bleeding too much. My opinion? Those jobs weren't great jobs but she had to work around caretaking the kids and any job that earns you a buck helps when no income is coming in. 

As for not always super supporting Matt's ideas - I recommend reading his book Against Tall Odds where he discusses how he was in charge of the finances and made some poor financial choices to where they were in dire financial straits and almost were forced to sell the farm. This was before the show and was in *Matt's* book so it's not Amy making something up. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:
3 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

She's cute, but there's nothing else appealing about her.

Oh I can be fair. I think she has a nice personality. If I had to choose between being friends with her and friends with Amy, I'd pick Caryn hands down because I find Amy way too needy. I also think she's more laid back than Amy

That's probably ALL true...but if you have a significant other or some valuables...watch out for her!  She's probably one of those women who develops friendships on the basis of what's in it for her (alone).   I never trust a woman who goes after someone else's man (or the genders in any manner).   WAIT UNTIL THE SPLIT IS FINAL, Ladies and Gents.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

That's probably ALL true...but if you have a significant other or some valuables...watch out for her!  She's probably one of those women who develops friendships on the basis of what's in it for her (alone).   I never trust a woman who goes after someone else's man (or the genders in any manner).   WAIT UNTIL THE SPLIT IS FINAL, Ladies and Gents.

Yeah I was taking it from just a "being around them" standpoint. 

I will go a step further - in part because I dislike this particular whine of Caryn's. If you're friends with someone, and they separate and divorce from their spouse - you're not being a very good friend if you immediately enter into a sexual relationship with their ex. Now I do believe Caryn was in her relationship long before the divorce but I am willing to pretend here. I'm sorry but Caryn pratting how she was Amy's friend boo hoo hoo why is Amy upset? I mean I am terrible at "girl code" stuff and even I know you don't date your friend's ex. Thats fucked up. 

I mean, you don't hop on your friend's ex and then loudly wonder why she's no longer buddies with you and act like its some sort of mystery. You know what the problem is. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Now I do believe Caryn was in her relationship long before the divorce

And this is what ticks off so many of us wives who didn't have a clue that "the great romance" was growing right behind our backs.  The husbands and their side pieces were able to moan, groan, and commiserate about all the negatives of the wives ... but the wives (out of any loop) RARELY heard a word about the side pieces--if they even knew the females in question.

I was one of "those wives," and one of the great comments I overheard was that one of my husband's best friends said, "WHO would leave someone like _____ (me) for trash like _____ (her)."  It still warms my heart 40+years later.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

And this is what ticks off so many of us wives who didn't have a clue that "the great romance" was growing right behind our backs.  The husbands and their side pieces were able to moan, groan, and commiserate about all the negatives of the wives ... but the wives (out of any loop) RARELY heard a word about the side pieces--if they even knew the females in question.

And this goes to the basic problem Matt has with relationships in general.  He's not willing to communicate with the person he actually has the problem with. I would NOT be shocked to discover he's got a friend who gets the earful on how Caryn might not be pleasing him. And I am sure there are complaints because Matt's a guy who wants his way all the time - probably the second basic problem. And I wonder if Caryn will tire of walking two steps behind and always needing to agree with whatever Matt wants. 

I remember a red flag moment for me was when Matt was asking Pondo the restaurant guy if he should leave his marriage and I was like "maybe you and the wife need to have this talk, not you and your buddy *on camera*". I know from reading the Noah's Ark trial depositions that Matt refused counseling while Amy did seek help from a pastoral counselor. Amy was no princess in this but I think she did try while Matt did not. 

18 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

I was one of "those wives," and one of the great comments I overheard was that one of my husband's best friends said, "WHO would leave someone like _____ (me) for trash like _____ (her)."  It still warms my heart 40+years later.

I was never married but I had a boyfriend cheat with someone who was a friend and years later he was all "what was I thinking?' and I was like "you weren't thinking, your dick made that decision"

• Love 6
7 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I was never married but I had a boyfriend cheat with someone who was a friend and years later he was all "what was I thinking?' and I was like "you weren't thinking, your dick made that decision"

In my case, his dick never seemed involved much...but HER MONEY seemed very interesting.  Additionally, they were both chain-smoking drunk stockbrokers.  Family life was a bore.

• Love 4