Type keyword(s) to search

Gravity Falls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Somebody help me out....what does the six fingers have to do with anything?  Did we learn at some point that the author had six fingers and I am blocking it out?

The journals all have 6 fingers. Also Stan is shown putting on a 6 fingered glove.

tumblr_m7or4tIHmB1rskgz7.jpg

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/31/1407022347-ss-2014-08-03-at-01-30-47.jpg - I hope this doesn't load.. it's quite large, best to click on it :)

Also, how awesome is this: http://leoflynn.deviantart.com/art/Gravity-falls-journal-3-cover-model-386879623 people making their own journals.

@ladyrott: I also think the six fingers was mentioned in Down to the Bunker episode (can't remember the exact title-second episode). I think the shape changing monster specifically said something about the six-fingered journal author. Does anyone else remember that?

@melgaypet: one of my very favorite parts of the season premiere was when Stan put on a six-fingered glove to turn on his machine! How did he get a six-fingered glove? I LOVED that little bit more than I can say. Part of me wondered if Stan was the journal's author, and he'd lost them and was trying to get them back. But I couldn't get that to make any kind of sense.

It turns out that one of the reasons for Season 1's long hiatus was because episodes kept missing deadlines.

"I want you to find a girl. Before I ascend to heaven to be with the angels."

"And Grandpa!"

"No...he is not there."

I relate to Soos too much. I can't flirt to save my life. And that dating sim hit a little too close to home.

"9 out of 10 basement dwellers recommend!" I got a huge kick out of School University, too. And did anyone else think of Archer with Giffany? She looks a lot like Dr. Krieger's hologram anime wife.

Heh, "Meatcute." I see what you did there. I got really happy for Soos when he managed a date with Melody, and how he got out of it relatively okay.

The Animatronic Band 1) was totally creepy and 2) Clearly based on The Rock-A-Fire Explosion from the old Showbiz Pizza joints from back in the day. (You can still find them in Fun Zone-like places.)

God, I loved Stan and Goldie touring Vegas during the credits there.

All in all, another fantastic episode.

ETA: The code in the journal page before the Disney logo translates as follows:

WINNING HOARTS BY DAYLIGHT
POSSESSING ROBOTS BY MOONLIGHT
HER EMOTIONAL BAGGAGE IS A REAL FRIGHT
SHE HAS THE ONE NAME GIFFANY

Edited by Galileo908

I really liked this, even though it didn't do a lot to move the mystery along (the show is still only running for 2 seasons right?) it was a good episode. Giffany was creepy as hell but I liked it. And I liked School University as well :D It made me think of Hatoful Boyfriend, I'm guessing most dating sim style games are like that though.

Thanks for the code! I thought she was a bit sailor moon esque, I guess that confirms it :D

I loved when Soos was trying to make conversation and mentioned how he once was a pig and how they have a hard time walking backwards :D I think I'd listen to that for a little while more before slowly walking away.

"I want you to find a girl. Before I ascend to heaven to be with the angels."

"And Grandpa!"

"No...he is not there."

I laughed way too hard at this. I love Soos' grandmother so much, "His life is my soap opera."

• Love 1

My kids and I loved everything about this episode. My older son and I have a running "argument" about the pronunciation of GIF, and he was drinking some Gatorade right when Soos said "or is it Jiffany, I'm never sure...". Almost spat it all over everything. :)  The younger son has just been playing "Five Nights At Freddy's", so this ep had a LOT for him. (It's a new video game wherein you are a worker at a pizza place with animatronic characters who are trying to kill you). Silly episode, but layered with so many jokes. (my favorite was Meat Cute). 

I finally got to see the new episode last night. I kept thinking of the Mabel's Guide to Dating short-didn't Soos score a 12 out of possible 5 points? A different blog I read said "The agents can be seen at the mall. Not only that, but Stan sees them and is not happy about it.". Did anyone else notice this? I didn't notice it when they appeared on Sock Opera. I'll have to be extra vigilant when I catch this one on reruns. I love the continuity of keeping the agents in the picture (I just wish I could notice them!). Makes me excited for their inevitable return. I also love the tribute to Show Biz Pizza's Rock A Fire Explosion! I had my second grade birthday party there-it was amazing!

I finally saw this last night, and it truly had me at Giffany's eye twinkles, the Rumble McSkirmish cameo and "I'm sorry, Hoo-ha the Owl is dead."  Combined with nearly everything else, though, this is up there with Fight Fighters for me.

• Love 1

Okay so I was decoding the cipher that is on the "journal page" shown right before the Disney logo after the end credits. I didn't even know about the Combined Cipher at the time. I knew what the message was supposed to say, so I kind of made a numeric cipher. 12=L like a normal numeric cipher, but then it goes backwards. For example; 13=K, 14=J, 11=M, 10=N. See the pattern? This is much easier than using three ciphers for one message. Hope this helps.

Stan is cursed by a witch; Waddles accidently eats a bowl of brain-enhancing jelly and builds a machine that allows him to talk for the first time; Mabel finally faces her fear of Claymation.

And the haphazard scheduling of this show continues.

I had no idea there was a new episode tonight and just happened to flip to it.

And The Hand Witch is wearing the Master's cloak from "Manos:Hands of Fate."  It's stuff like that that makes me love this show.

ETA: "This isn't right!  The pig goes 'oink!'  THE PIG GOES 'OINK!!!'"

Edited by 88Keys
  • Love 4

I haven't seen it yet so I'm closing my eyes to the replies :P

It's disappointing that they just change it for no good (I presume) reason.

According to wiki the next episode isn't for 3 weeks :(

Yeah, I missed it when it aired on Saturday. It was on the same time as Doctor Who, and I chose Doctor Who since I knew this was going to be rerun on Monday.

I like that this episode revolves around a tour of the Mystery Shack. And that ending? Creepy as hell.

Hands Off: I love how Toby was literally selling wet blankets. Also, the Hand Witch was wearing The Master's cape from Manos The Hands of Fate! The hand cave was pretty creepy, I'll admit (until Mabel gave it a makeover). I liked Mabel's hair in this one.

Abaconings: Waddles eats a Perceptshroom and becomes a hybrid of Stephen Hawking and Neil deGrasse-Tyson. "Forgive me, my pig arms are cute and useless." Hey, if I had Neil deGrasse-Tyson in a recording studio I'd have him record silly stuff like "yummy yummy potatoes," too.

Clay Day: "Well that just put me 90 minutes closer to death." I hope Mabel never stumbles upon Will Vinton's stuff (but judging by her lifelong fear, she probably did) Absolutely loved the "fight" that was seen from the back POV. This entire segment was awesome, especially with Soos as Gumby.

ETA:

ETA: "This isn't right!  The pig goes 'oink!'  THE PIG GOES 'OINK!!!'"

"I'm sorry Mabel. Life is more than making fart noises and then laughing at those noises."

"Ahh, an affront against nature!"

Edited by Galileo908

I liked it, it was a bit strange.. is there any reason it was this style of episode? I was thinking maybe like the halloween episodes on the simpsons but, it's not halloween :P

I wish there had been more about the author, it feels like he's been a bit forgotten.

I did like May May and the Hogg though :D

The agents were seen again! I never see them in the episode, I always have to check the next day to see if they made an appearance:

Freeze-Frame Bonus: During "Hands Off!", you can briefly see Agent Powers at the swap meet and Agent Trigger at the bowling alley.

• Love 1

That is amazing that they're still using the agents. 

I can't believe some of the stuff they're getting away with. "Can I please have my hands back? There's a gesture I'd like to share with you." 

I love this show so much.

For those interested in the agents:

Agents Powers and Trigger are passed by just before Wendy throws Soos's CD out of his truck.

Loved the episode. I thought for a full minute that Stan was the author of the journals, but quickly realized that didn't make any sense. Can't wait for the next episode. Does anyone know when it will air?

I can't believe they got away with "McSuckit" on Disney, that just blew my mind last night. "Dang, they got me good." lol

Right before he removed his hood and revealed that it was the bouncer with "Head" and "Chin" tattoos, I thought it was going to be Wendy's dad since they both have similar body shapes.

Loved the episode. I thought for a full minute that Stan was the author of the journals, but quickly realized that didn't make any sense. Can't wait for the next episode. Does anyone know when it will air?

I thought the same thing about Stan writing the journals and came to the same conclusion. According to the Gravity Falls wiki, the next episode is Monday, November 10. It will mark the return of

Blendin Blandin

The "McSucket" didn't surprise me as much as the "Oh, @$!" subtitle. Though I'm glad Disney XD allows that stuff.

But good job, Gravity Falls. I was convinced that McGucket was the author, but now we discover he was just assisting an "out of town researcher." I have no idea who that could be. I don't think Grunkle Stan qualifies. But I also subscribe to the theory that Grunkle Stan has a twin, so maybe it's him? Come on, show! Tackle that fan theory!

Great episode overall. Moved the main mytharc forward, explained why everyone in Gravity Falls seems unaware of all the weirdness around them (though what happens now that they disarmed the secret society?) and poor Wendy's confession ("I'm not laid back! I'm stressed out all the time! Have you seen my family?!").

This was a fantastic episode!

Man, so much continuity! All of Mabel's past romances, some closure with Mermando, the gnomes, and well, everything else came to a head here. Hell, McGucket pointed out the bandage on his beard. Speaking of, his descent into madness eerily mirrored Simon's from Adventure Time. Only involving technology. And self-inflicted. And just as depressing.

The Society of the Blind Eye was so very creepy. And I was honestly taken aback at who was in it: Toby, Bud Gleeful, the guy who married the woodpecker, and the tattooed bouncer guy. And what's gonna happen to Bud Gleeful now that his memory of the society got erased?

"Dysentery's gonna get you, dawg!"

ETA: That was Peter Serafinowicz as Blind Ivan. He's most known for "Look Around You" but recently he's been in in Guardians of the Galaxy, Parks and Rec, and Adventure Time (as Lumpy Space Prince)

Edited by Galileo908

I was so happy to get back to The Author stuff and it was neat to find out that McGucket was the creator of the secret society. So sad what he did to himself though.

I was thinking maybe the author was Stan too but my reasoning for not was his lack of 6 fingers... I loved the "Oh, @$!" subtitle! I couldn't believe they got away with that, so funny. 

The only thing missing from this ep was more Stan.

My reasoning for Stan not being the author was the fact he didn't know about the invisible ink.

I was on another Gravity Falls forum yesterday, and there was lots of talk about the author being Stan's twin brother. Do you guys remember any talk of Stan having a twin brother? I sure can't remember anything like that, and I couldn't figure out if it was just a theory accepted on that forum, or if it was something mentioned in the actual show.

My reasoning for Stan not being the author was the fact he didn't know about the invisible ink.

I was on another Gravity Falls forum yesterday, and there was lots of talk about the author being Stan's twin brother. Do you guys remember any talk of Stan having a twin brother? I sure can't remember anything like that, and I couldn't figure out if it was just a theory accepted on that forum, or if it was something mentioned in the actual show.

I saw talk on it after season 1 here:

I enjoyed the episode although its a shame they couldn't actually restore the memories as well.