Type keyword(s) to search

Gravity Falls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I know this is the musician in me speaking, but they were NOT singing in perfect 3-part harmony.  They were singing in unison. 

Edited by 88Keys
  • Love 1

I also love LOVE Ep 10 - Fight Fighters. It's just so perfect, especially if you spent your formative years side scrolling your way through the summer.

Honestly I could keep going because I love so many of the episodes, Time Travellers Pig, The Inconveniencing, Irrational Treasure, Boyz Crazy. So many good ones. :D

That's my favorite as well.  I know it doesn't have much to do with the mythology, but it's just such a perfect homage to the video game culture of the 80's and early 90's.  The attention to detail is amazing. 

I also love Fight Fighter, I own the "SUPER POWER NINJA TURBO NEO ULTRA HYPER MEGA MULTI ALPHA META EXTRA UBER PREFIX COMBO" shirt. I knew I had to find it as soon as I watched the episode.

WHAT?!  THERE IS SHIRT OF THAT?!!!

• Love 1

That's my favorite as well.  I know it doesn't have much to do with the mythology, but it's just such a perfect homage to the video game culture of the 80's and early 90's.  The attention to detail is amazing. 

WHAT?!  THERE IS SHIRT OF THAT?!!!

This is the one I have. There is also one that is black with grey text but i've never been able to find it to buy

fc,550x550,black.jpg

• Love 2

This was another great one!

"Must. Follow. Newspaper." Soos continues to be weirdly hilarious. I loved his W-necks...and that Pacifica liked them. It was also a great touch seeing his garbage bag poncho.

I want to see more of Mabel's stickers. I bet they'll show up again. Also, we need these stickers for real.

The Lilli-putt-ians were great, I liked how each hole had its own society. We essentially had Patton Oswalt vs John O'Hurley vs Jim Cummings battle each other for supremacy of a mini-golf course. And it was awesome.

Also, the show totally got away with showing one of the golf people die. RIP Big Henry.

BTW, one of the codes (the one shown on a title card just before the Disney logo) translates to "OLD MAN SLEEPING IN THE GREEN CAN'T HELP BUT WONDER WHAT HE'S SEEN"

"Also, the show totally got away with showing one of the golf people die. RIP Big Henry." 

There was yet another golf person related death, right when they are initially revealed and battling

*Bird grabs golf ball guy, carrying him off"

Dipper and Mabel: "Oh look at them, they're so cuuuute!"

Monty9: "Um. There's a bird....Um...." *sees no reaction to one little guy being taken out*

Monty9: "Daaaaaaaamn show. Dark. But I kind of respect that."

And what do you know? They're developing Pacifica as a real character. Not just a random nemesis for Mabel. That's a huge mature step forward for a lot of shows, let alone Disney/Nickelodeon type shows.

Edited by Monty9

And what do you know? They're developing Pacifica as a real character. Not just a random nemesis for Mabel. That's a huge mature step forward for a lot of shows, let alone Disney/Nickelodeon type shows.

That's what makes this show special/unique, it's pretty much the only one I watch from this network.

This episode was... unusual.

I was hoping for more overall development of the mystery of the books but oh well. It was good not to see Gideon, I'll say that. Soos and his W necks were silly especially when he went shirtless in the car and creeped Stan out.

After the creepiness and heaviness of the first two eps, I was kind of ready for a break.  I loved this episode.  It made me laugh out loud repeatedly.  Like REALLY laugh, very loudly. 

I don't know if I want Pacifica to be developed or have a redemption, though.  That is a standard Disney trope, to make the bad guy into a good guy or a misunderstood guy (or girl).  Sometimes it's fun to have a bad guy who is just bad because he likes it, you know?

• Love 1

I really love the dark, plot driven episodes, with this one I just got to the end and my bf and I looked at each other and said "well that was odd". I actually like the episodes where it is just the main crew, I don't feel like Mabel needs a nemesis and that the plot to find The Author which will probably be made more difficult by Gideon at some point is villain enough.

Which is strange coming from me because I tend to love the villains.

I like the lighter ones too.  This was the pattern last year also.  A few dark ones that dealt with the overall mystery but then the lighter ones mixed in.  I prefer this.  It is after all a kids show on a kids network

"Also, the show totally got away with showing one of the golf people die. RIP Big Henry." 

There was yet another golf person related death, right when they are initially revealed and battling

*Bird grabs golf ball guy, carrying him off"

Dipper and Mabel: "Oh look at them, they're so cuuuute!"

Monty9: "Um. There's a bird....Um...." *sees no reaction to one little guy being taken out*

Monty9: "Daaaaaaaamn show. Dark. But I kind of respect that."

He showed up later in the ep.  He was still in the bird's mouth but still alive.

I do love Waddles.  I especially like that he is just an ordinary pig (sorry Mabel).  The show hasn't made him super smart or supernatural in any way.  He is just a pig who gets dressed up in clothing and treated like any other 12 year old girl's pet.

• Love 3

Finally saw this episode and kind of loved it.  I have liked Pacifica since she was introduced.  I LIKE her rivalry with Mabel, though.  I don't want to see them get to be friends or discover Pacifica is a poor little rich girl.   The show has an evil genius in Gideon.  Mabel is not in his league but she is a great "mean girl" and Mabel is so darn perky that I like seeing her get a slap down from time to time (Don't get me wrong, I love me some Mabel, but perky people need take down once in a while).

I almost forgot this was on! D:

So awesome to see Bill Cipher again. Making Dipper as a "puppet?" I literally said "oh shit" at this, ESPECIALLY when he destroyed the laptop. There's another mystery that won't be getting solved any time soon. Dipper with cat eyes just looked...not right.

"Human soda! I'm gonna drink it like a person!"

"Hey Soos, want to hear the exact time and date of your death?"

"Haha, sure!"

"Whoa, children fighting! I can sell this!" Stan was great in this.

The Sock Opera was legitimately awesome. I'd pay to see it.

EDIT: Haven't gotten the code for the end-credits, but the one on the Journal page right before the Disney logo is as follows:

NO PUPPET STRINGS CAN HOLD ME DOWN

SO PATIENTLY I WATCH THIS TOWN

ABNORMAL SOON WILL BE THE NORM

ENJOY THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2

This was a good episode. Good to see Bill again, that creepy bastard (the screaming head was just as creepy as ripping the deer's teeth out).

The band-aid on the laptop screen has convinced me that the journal author is Old Man McGucket (whose first name is Fiddleford, so that would explain the "Property of F" thing).

I liked this episode a lot more than the last. I liked the return of Bill and the potential of finding out more about the author (maybe).

I do enjoy the creepier ones and this was pretty creepy, I think anything with Bill will do that. I loved his puppet threat at the end, even still he was creepy.

Kostgard: I like your theory about Old Man McGucket-but does he have six fingers? I think one of the reasons why different characters have different numbers of fingers is so we'll never notice when they slip someone with six fingers in!

That was one of my favorite parts of the premiere-when they showed Stan turning on his great machine (or whatnot), and he put on a glove with six fingers.

Kostgard: I like your theory about Old Man McGucket-but does he have six fingers? I think one of the reasons why different characters have different numbers of fingers is so we'll never notice when they slip someone with six fingers in!

That was one of my favorite parts of the premiere-when they showed Stan turning on his great machine (or whatnot), and he put on a glove with six fingers.

He may have had six fingers at one point in time - notice how one hand is always bandaged. Fan theories wonder if he didn't remove that finger at some point (which may explain the blood-spattered pages in Dipper's journal). He's clearly a brilliant inventor (built the lake monster and the giant Gideon robot, gave Dipper a new voice, etc), but also clearly lost his marbles. The shape-shifter said that the inventor hadn't been himself in a while - maybe something happened to McGucket that made him lose his marbles (battle with Bill, etc) that changed him from brilliant inventor to local kook.

• Love 2

I never knew how much I wanted to watch a bunch of sock puppets blow up in slow motion to the tune of Ave Marie until just now. Thanks Gravity Falls!

Awesome, awesome episode! Bill Cypher is just so freaking creepy. I cant even really tell what it is about him, there's just something about the wackiness combining with the menace...brrrrrr.

My favorite throw away line was Stan walking into the room as everyone was singing along to the sock puppets, and he just stares and is just like "I`m not even gonna ask" and walks away. Stan is amazing.

Lol that scene with the sock puppets blowing up was awesome! Everyone should have applauded.. Gabe was such a douche though, I think Mabel dodged another crazy bullet. Dipper is wrong about Mermando though, he was cool :D

The only thing I wonder is why did Bill need Dipper to agree to the favour. Why can't he just do that without asking?

• Love 1

Thanks for the heads up on the creep factor. My kid is all good with Orc wars but somehow Bill Cypher is so scary she MUST watch something sweet afterwards. ?? Kid brains - how do they work?

Bill Cypher creeps me the hell out, too, so I don't blame your kid.  This show is getting weird, and I'm a little surprised it is still marketed as a show for young children.  My 2 year old isn't afraid of much, but I wouldn't let her anywhere near something like last night's episode. 

• Love 2

Bill Cypher creeps me the hell out, too, so I don't blame your kid.  This show is getting weird, and I'm a little surprised it is still marketed as a show for young children.  My 2 year old isn't afraid of much, but I wouldn't let her anywhere near something like last night's episode. 

Yeah, while I loved the exploding sock puppets I'm not sure it's really something kids should be watching and you know, the endlessly screaming head Bill tried to give Dipper. I'm really glad they do allow it though because I really like the creepy/scary episodes. Of this season the one I liked least was The Golf War because it was more on the silly scale and less on the 'what's the deal with the author' scale.

I really really hope we get more of the Stan story line next episode. I'm dying to know more about him and while he's cranky I don't know if he's creepy the way Bill is.

Mostly, with this season, I'm happy with less Gideon.

I kind of feel like this show would be a better fit for Cartoon Network than Disney Channel.  I've also noticed a big difference in tone between this season and last.  Not just the creep factor.  Mabel and Dipper seem a little different, too.  A little more serious and grown-up, maybe?  I know that the time between childhood and teenager is one of the themes of this show, so that change is obviously going to happen, but still.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but it was kind of jarring when, right after this episode, they aired the pilot.  The difference was really obvious.

Dipper is wrong about Mermando though, he was cool :D

That line kinda bothered me too.  I was like what did Mermando ever do to anyone.  Then I remembered that Dipper gave him mouth to mouth.  It's probably still a very awkward experience for him.

This is a standard Disney practice.  It allows for new content all year long.  With Disney there is no sweeps week so if they space a 25 (I don't know how many Gravity Falls is getting) episode series out every two weeks, then there a new episodes all the time and the season blend into each other.  Again not sure with Gravity Falls as it is a little different then even P&F but this could be the reason

• Love 1

This is a standard Disney practice.  It allows for new content all year long.  With Disney there is no sweeps week so if they space a 25 (I don't know how many Gravity Falls is getting) episode series out every two weeks, then there a new episodes all the time and the season blend into each other.  Again not sure with Gravity Falls as it is a little different then even P&F but this could be the reason

I was wondering if that was the case. With the first season I only found out about it after it was finished so I didn't have the long wait (although it was long enough) between seasons. It's annoying though, given it's on a kids channel too I feel like it probably hurts the ratings (does that matter to Disney? I have no idea how US channels work :P) and could be seen as not popular.

He may have had six fingers at one point in time - notice how one hand is always bandaged.

Oh, internet-thank you for thinking hard so I don't have to. Thanks, Kostgard-I never made those connections, but I like where your brain is heading. I read somewhere, it might have been here, actually, that some think the goat that hangs around the Mystery Shack might be the journal writer, too. I do hope there's some kind of pay off with the goat.

I think any changes we see in Mable and Dipper can be expected, given what all they went through last season. They're not the same innocent kids they were when they showed up in Gravity Falls, when Mable was only using her grappling hook for turning off lights.

I saw on another sight:

When the disembodied Dipper passes through the floors of the Mystery Shack, you can see some sort of listening device hidden in the floorboards, bearing the eagle-with-a-magnifying-glass symbol of a certain secret government agency.

◦ On a related note, Agents Powers and Trigger can be briefly seen in the audience of the puppet show, their faces obscured by playbills.

I rewatched the episode the other night, and didn't see any of this. I wasn't able to slow down or free frame anything, so I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this?

• Love 1