Type keyword(s) to search

Howard Wolowitz/Simon Helberg: Did You Know He Went to Space?

My absolute favorite character on this show. And, to be sure, Simon Helburg is the MOST underrated and under-utilized actor on a sitcom. He is absolutely hysterical when they get him going and he just has the best line delivery ever.

• Love 8

Howard is probably one of the characters who has changed the most since the show's inception. In fact, two of my favourite episodes are Howard-centric and involve them delving into his backstory -- the one where Penny insults him and he becomes depressed, and the episode where he finds the letter from his father and doesn't want to read it. I got pretty choked up by the end of that one, too.

• Love 3

Howard is probably one of the characters who has changed the most since the show's inception. In fact, two of my favourite episodes are Howard-centric and involve them delving into his backstory -- the one where Penny insults him and he becomes depressed, and the episode where he finds the letter from his father and doesn't want to read it. I got pretty choked up by the end of that one, too.

The letter episode was wonderful - it showed the real affection these characters have for each other.

One of my favourites was the episode where Howard sang the song he wrote for Bernadette. I loved that everyone, even Sheldon, participated as his backup singers. I'm always pleased to see Howard go out of his way to please Bernadette - just another example of how much he has grown as a character.

• Love 2

I also love Howard. The truth is I liked him better in the early years, when he was Pepe Le Pew trying to score with the ladies. He is still amusing. But he used to be hilarious!

Also love how on at least three episodes you can tell that Simon is a serious musician. Can anybody name them?

• Love 1
(edited)

All I can recall is the episode where he serenades Bernadette (with "Bernadette", natch!) at the Cheesecake Factory. And I don't know the name of the episode offhand.

ETA: Oh, wait - and the episode where he sings Neil Diamond in the car with Amy!

And... when he brings their first anniversary date to Bernadette (in quarantine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDblB4DLaPI

Edited by riley702
  • Love 1

Wow! That's two of the three I was thinking of. When I first saw him playing "Bernadette", I was dumbfounded because by the end I was like "is he playing that LIVE?". After rewatching several times I'm pretty sure he was. And the Bernadette song for sure.  I'll have to rewatch the "Sweet Caroline" and check it out.

But there is one more! He is playing, not just singing. Honestly it's not as definitive as watching him play and sing "Bernadette" but you can tell he knows what he's doing. It's early in the series run...

(edited)

Hm, I'll admit I'm stumped!

Simon Helberg is amazingly multi-talented. I think he's the unsung hero of the show.

He did indeed play the "Song for Bernadette" live, and more impressively, it was recorded on the first take.

eta - I loved his "human beat box".

Edited by photo fox

Simon is also in Dr Horrible's Singalong Blog and while his character doesn't sing in the movie, in the commentary (which is an entire separate musical) he sings and plays piano.

• Love 1

Thanks for the great comments. Here's the third scene...

In the first or second season, they open with the boys playing Rock Band. Howard is on drums. As they play, you will see, I think twice, as they are between beats, Howard raises an arm and twirls his drumstick before hitting the next note. Baton twirlers are the only other people who might be able to do that. And to make it more impressive, he stays in the pocket, perfectly in time with the beat.

Like I said, it's not as impressive as his apparent live piano playing. But a non musician would take a long time to be able to do that and still keep a beat.

Wanna know what a geek I am? A few years ago, when I bought the seasons on disc,I actually rematched that scene several times to figure out the drum thing, AND I did the same thing to figure I think he played 'Bernadette' live.

Edited by Midru
  • Love 1

I just watched a rerun of one of the eps when he's in space - his Skypes with Bernie are comic genius! I really believe he is the unsung hero of this show. Also, he looked shockingly good on the space station. Too bad they can't give him a full makeover on terra firma.

• Love 2

My absolute favorite character on this show. And, to be sure, Simon Helburg is the MOST underrated and under-utilized actor on a sitcom. He is absolutely hysterical when they get him going and he just has the best line delivery ever.

While Howard is my favorite character & Simon the best actor, IMHO, on TBBT, and he delivers lines like no tomorrow, he is secondary in that category to Michael J. Fox and Lucille Ball in line delivery.

• Love 1

I love his accents.. his Raj is pretty great and while I don't think his Bernadette is right because he's putting a side of whine on it, it's still pretty good.

I like Howard a lot more in later seasons because they took the creep out of him and just left the nice funny guy.

• Love 3

OK, is it just me, or does Simon Helberg look a whole lot like Aaron Rodgers (quarterback for the Green Bay Packers). Seriously, except for the height differential, they could be fraternal twins or brothers or something.

I saw this a few weeks ago - Simon was excellent; I never once - not even in his first moment - thought of him as Wolowitz.  He really knows how to inhabit a character.

I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled out a win; he more than held his own with Grant and Streep.

• Love 3

I doubt he has a chance at the win. Mahershala Ali basically has it on lockdown for his role in Moonlight. (And deservedly so. That's one of those performances you're remembered for for life.) If there is going to be a spoiler, Bridges or Patel seem more likely but it's still a huge get for Simon. Supporting doesn't split Drama and Comedy/Musical the way the lead categories do so he was up against a long list of people like Ben Foster, Lucas Hedges, Adam Driver or Michael Shannon . He should be feeling very good right now and hopefully this will open more doors for him going forward. Getting that first real nomination is hard. Once you have it, you're more likely to get cast in roles where you might get nominated again.

• Love 3

Supporting doesn't split Drama and Comedy/Musical the way the lead categories do

Oh, I forgot about that.  I was thinking that there was the same split.  Then, yes, he'll likely not win.  And agreed he should feel great for the nomination.

On 12/13/2016 at 2:52 PM, vibeology said:

He should be feeling very good right now and hopefully this will open more doors for him going forward. Getting that first real nomination is hard. Once you have it, you're more likely to get cast in roles where you might get nominated again.

I already thought he would have no problem getting cast in great roles in the future and is probably the best positioned of all the cast going forward as far as getting prime on camera work is concerned. He is known to audiences and throughout the industry now without really being indelibly associated with his character in a way that makes producers worry about audience acceptance. He has shown great range and versatility on the show and has chosen his side projects really well as far as prestige and quality are concerned. But this certainly does help.

Edited by wknt3
fix typo
  • Love 3

Remember the machine Howard built that transmitted kisses? Maybe he has gone commercial. This device attaches to a smartphone. It's called a Kissenger from kiss + messenger. "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" said it has a button on the back that secretly bombs Cambodia.

I'm finding it hilarious that Horn-dog Howard now gets to raise a daughter and come to terms with how disgusting some of his past behavior was. Must be mighty humbling and not pleasant for him to think about.

• Love 4