Type keyword(s) to search

Party Of Five (2019) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 2/20/2020 at 4:39 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know this was more about Val missing her mom, but it felt like Emilio really overreacted. If Val wants her dance name to be Amanda, how is that any different from other hip hop dancers who have different stage names or dance names?

Maybe Emilio overreacted, but only because he didn't know the reason why she picked the name Amanda. It is really heartbreaking to see that, and I think the young girl actor had a very good scene. This type of things do happen and it is one symptom of great trauma. His reaction though, was appropriate for the reasons Scarlet45 mentions and to show how overwhelmed Emilio is

On 2/20/2020 at 4:39 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't know why Lucia answered the phone in the first place though. If you can't talk, just don't answer the phone!

On TV shows you do

7 hours ago, memememe76 said:

Would Val have lied about her life if her mother was caring for a Mexican girl with wealthy parents? I am sure Val would have still been resentful but I don’t think she would have pretended to be that girl.

I think the intention of the writers from Val's perspective wasn't heritage as much as the trauma of not being with her mom. We could even speculate that if Amanda was a Mexican girl she would be even more jealous. I mean, she didn't try to change the hair color for example. She tried to do the things that she felt her mom would love to see her doing because that's what her mom is doing now, watching another girl dance. 

I have a feeling that at least one writer is doing their job researching what happens when families are separated like this

• Love 7
10 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I really feel for Ella and while I may have felt unprepared and overwhelmed to be in a relationship with someone with such troubles, Beto seemed rather judgmental? I hope I read that wrong. Also, I kinda hate that everyone in the family seems to hate Ella.

I feel for Ella too. I don’t think the family HATES, Ella, but I do think they see her as an interloper into their world (and for Val competition for Beto’s attention, again Beto is the most emotionally nurturing of the siblings), and that she could not possibly understand what they are going through because she is rich and white.

Yes Ella is rich and white (and she’s never claimed that she wasn’t), but the girl isn’t stupid AND she does have some introspective things to say about what Val is feeling (and what others are feeling) that are pretty accurate. (And I think some people are resentful of that).

Also she’s emotionally needy because she’s got no parents (in the emotional sense- but yes she does in the physical and financial sense), no caregivers (not like an older aunt or grandmother), no siblings to lean on- she’s very emotionally alone so she’s leaning on Beto’s family. Beto says he has had no one to care for him- that’s not true, all four siblings have been taking care of each other, and together baby Rafa. I am not saying their situations are the same, but often when people have been through legit trauma (like this family has) all you can see is what you lost not what you have (that’s natural). Ella certainly sees what they lost but she’s envious of what they have, and to the Acosta siblings that’s annoying. 

• Love 9

Ella is trying, but she's emotionally needy and the family is emotionally maxxed out. It's like she's trying to meet her emotional needs by joining their family, but they don't really have room for another person who's needing care.

She tries to help, but she as often makes things worse as not. The drinking at the benefit, the yelling at the hospital, and even when she's just tagging along, it's one more person for Emilio to keep track of.

Even when she does something "nice" like paying for Val's dance class, or donating the pool table, it makes things complicated.

She's not a bad person. But the situation is difficult.

This was the first time I thought she actually had real insight that was helpful, in that she actually understood somewhat of what Val was feeling.

• Love 8

Poor Lucia and Beto both ended up in extremely awkward situations with adults who are really oversharing and pushing boundaries with actual kids. When Ella's mom was going on about letting Ella and Beto have her bed and Allison was giving Lucia wine, they both had the same "...I think I need an adult. A more adult-y adult" expressions on their faces. Lucia was definitely starting to crush on her mentor, and I am glad that she shut that down real hard and fast. Lucia is sixteen, and Allison giving her wine and throwing all this personal stuff at her was deeply inappropriate, especially as Lucia is someone who volunteers for their organization. 

Is Ella's mom have drug problems, or bipolar disorder or something? Thats kind of the vibe I got, she was acting a bit manic, and Ella said that her mom isnt very good at taking care of people, it sounds like there are some issues there. Ella means well, but she is so desperate for her emotional needs to be met, that she is putting a lot of her stuff onto Beto and his family, and they just cant handle that with everything else going on. Especially Beto, who is just a teenager himself and is also going through a lot with his family. 

I think that Val was so overwhelmed by the unfairness of it all, that this other girl got to spend time with her mom while Val has been taken from her own mother, that she wanted to do everything she could, like dancing and taking the other girls name, to become more like the girl that her mom got to be with. Its so sad that she is dealing with all of this and is struggling so much that this is the only way she felt she could be close to her mom. Their family does need to sit down and talk more, if Beto could have known that the name Val was going by was Amanda Davis, I think Emilio would have been a lot more understanding of what Val was going through. 

Should be interesting seeing the kids (minus Emilio) meeting with their parents again, I feel like both sides have been filtering a lot of things through their Skype conversations and hiding a lot of their struggles from each other. The kids waving goodbye to Emilio through the gate was so heartbreaking. 

• Love 3

I was really glad that the mentor shut that down pretty quick. They had Julia on OG Po5 having a flirtation with Karen from The Wonder Years when Karen was her professor, which is squicky enough, but Lucia is 16 and the actress really looks it so I'm glad that she set up boundaries right then and there. The mentor did a great job with the look of horror on her face when she realized that Lucia was reading something into her affection that wasn't there. I do feel like this is going to lead to Lucia hooking up with Not Alison Williams just to spite her, though.

As for Valentina, this whole plot somewhat reminds me of Lady Bird, where

Spoiler

Lady Bird makes up an entirely different background to impress the popular girl in her class, and it backfires on her. Val had different motivations but the end result is the same.

Ella is trying, but she's emotionally needy and the family is emotionally maxxed out. It's like she's trying to meet her emotional needs by joining their family, but they don't really have room for another person who's needing care.

Pretty much.

Don't screw the babysitter, Emilio!

When Lucia slipped and said "she", even after she denied she meant it, mom should have should have told her it's okay if it was in fact a she. That pronoun scene made me really not like mom.

I liked Beto's message to Ella. He finally got ahold of himself and now we see if she drops the drama and is capable of a serious relationship.

Rafa continues to be super-adorable.

• Love 5

Oscar: When was the last time you had some time completely to yourself? Exactly. Sit down. I'm going to get you a beer and a plate of taquitos and then you're going to go home and you're going to spend the next few days in your underwear enjoying the Golf Network.
Emilio: I don't think you and I have the same idea of a good time, Oscar.

Emilio: I wouldn't be 16 again for anything.

• Love 3

Yes, Beto's message was really good.   

We think Ella's totally turning up in Mexico during the next episode, right?

I usually like Emilio (even though I keep still thinking his name should be Charlie despite the fact that I don't have the problem with the other characters) but I really don't care about him and the poet/babysitter when the other option is watching the family's break down in Mexico.

I am worried that their mom didn't reassure Lucia that it being a "she" was fine but the mom is old school catholic so maybe it isn't fine with her.  Here is hoping, though, she was just shocked and going through a lot and will make that clear in the next episode.

I felt really bad for Val when her mom was comforting Real!Amanda during the trip.

I'm worried that their mom (she has a name...  ummmm) has formed an unhealthy attachment to this child because she can't be with her bio children.

And if she has family in Mexico (her mother might have passed away but she mentions multiple siblings) is she back in touch with them?  Shouldn't that be a priority?  Or maybe she's avoiding them because she doesn't want them to see how far she has fallen after leaving with such big dreams?

Rafa remains adorable!

• Love 4

Val hearing her mom going off to check in with Amanda Davis (even calling her mi amore) was probably one of the worst things that he could have heard. Ouch, talk about rubbing salt int the wound, albeit accidentally. 

So the kids (minus Emilio) head to Mexico to see their parents and...its not the heartfelt warm and fuzzy visit that anyone probably wanted. Beto and Luisa are dealing with romantic drama, as are Gloria and Javier, who are not only having problems due to everything that has happened, its causing old problems to flare up, now that there are no kids to focus on and so much stress and tension. I do wonder if Gloria will go visit her family. Why not stop by, your already there, and you seem to miss them, are they not still around? She seems to be holding onto this girl she is taking care of as a sort of surrogate kid because she cant see her real ones. So much is resting on Amanda Davis, who presumably knows nothing or very little about any of this! 

Really liked the message that Beto left Ella, he really has no time for games with everything else going on. he also had some nice scenes with his dad, especially when his dad admitted that he and his mom were having problems and that things were tough while they played soccer. I did also enjoy Ella coming over, it was sweet in an Ella kind of way to show up with food for Emilio, and Emilos and Natalia amused reactions to her teen drama. 

Gloria could be an old school Catholic, so while I think she will come around to Lucia being into women, but it might take her a minute. I really dont it doesent take long though, I was not a fan of that long ass pause when Lucia dropped the real pronoun of the person she likes. I am guessing she is in shock, with this big thing in the middle of everything, hopefully she deals with it to support Lucia by next week.

I am really torn, because I like Natalia and Emilio and think they have good chemistry, but if they sleep together and it goes badly, Natalia might leave, and that would suck for the kids, who are getting really used to her, and lord knows they need some stability.

• Love 3

Ella I bet is running off to Mexico. 

I liked the parents having a dark backstory this entire time and not what we've been seeing through the facetime. Seeing their POV via the fake show they put on for this kids was great twist.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

I liked the parents having a dark backstory this entire time and not what we've been seeing through the facetime. Seeing their POV via the fake show they put on for this kids was great twist.

I like seeing parents story as well. Of course the show is mostly about the kids and how they are adjusting, but this is harder on the parents. At least the kids have their house, their bed, their routine, the restaurant etc. The Parents left EVERYTHING besides each other. 

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I do wonder if Gloria will go visit her family. Why not stop by, your already there, and you seem to miss them, are they not still around?

She might be embarrassed. If she was the one that “risked it all” to have a life in the USA, and her husband had a successful restaurant, her family members may have looked up to her and/or been envious. Now she’s been forced to leave the USA and her children behind as well as her business, she might be ashamed or feel like she let her family down. 

I think Gloria was having a harder time than Javier because she was always the primary caregiver for the children, that was her purpose. I’m not saying Javier wasn’t a present nurturing parent, but he had other things to fulfill him (like running the restaurant). Four days away isn’t that long of a time, but given what they went through at the detention center I can see them wanting to hold tight to each other. But the caregiver/nanny job is a good one for Gloria. Quality caregivers are hard to find, and often people with means do pay very well just to know their family member is safe. I do agree though that Gloria needs to be aware of getting too close to Amanda. Does she (Gloria) have a priest she can talk to about her struggles? I know her faith means a lot to her and the clergy were the “counselors” of many communities. 

I know Val is hurting, but her speech to her Mom was cruel and not okay. She said all of those things explicitly to hurt her, and she’s certainly old enough to know better. Her mother didn’t move away to snort cocaine or have sex with some person half her age. 

I do think the writing for this show is very well done. 

• Love 3

Damn those scenes with the parents were hard to watch. It's interesting that TV shows always have the storyline of people in love having to deal with one person getting something they want but it could cost them the relationship and usually hear the line 'I don't want you to give this up and then hate me for it later'. Sometimes they can come up with a work around but a lot of times they have the classic 'I love you enough to give it up' and somehow they end up happy. However, here it seems that Gloria slept with Javier before marriage getting pregnant with Emilio and causing the rift with her family. From what it sounds like Javier thought she waited till she was ready but now it seems she is saying she felt pressured to sleep with him before marriage. When she threw that in his face, it looked like she could have slapped him and it would have hurt less. 

Of course their issues couldn't have come at a worse time especially with Lucia's slip of pronouns. Gloria not wanting to go to church to have a blessing for the family is obviously because of the issues with Javier but I can see Lucia thinking it had to do with her. I am worried she is going to do something foolish because of the mom's reaction. I don't think it is an accident that there was the guy checking her out getting out of the pool. I could see her trying to kiss or even sleep with the guy to be straight for her mom. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ybrik said:

Of course their issues couldn't have come at a worse time especially with Lucia's slip of pronouns. Gloria not wanting to go to church to have a blessing for the family is obviously because of the issues with Javier but I can see Lucia thinking it had to do with her.

Yes those were my exact thoughts. 

I think Gloria loves Javier and wanted to marry him (obviously) but she never “forgave him” for losing her honor (which I think is a bit of a cop out, I’m sure Javier didn’t rape or coerce her, and if she hadn’t become pregnant with Emilio had been a pregnant bride she would’ve been fine with their courtship); when things were good it was easy to ignore the cracks in their relationship (did Javier always abuse alcohol when things were stressful??), but when things are bad all the rips start to show.

Was she insinuating to him that she only married him because she was pregnant? And without the kids she doesn’t want to be with him? In this case I don’t think Gloria is being emotionally honest with herself. She’s just so angry and hurt she’s lashing out at Javier and rather than working though her feelings she is pushing away a trigger (her husband). 

You know of situations where a child dies(a minor child, not an adult son or daughter) and even when the circumstances were in no way the fault of ANYONE (like a terminal illness or SIDS), often parents split up because they blame each other, when no other person was to blame for what happened. It’s not intellectually consistent but it’s very common. This reminds me of that type of situation. 

• Love 2

Great episode! The parents’ backstory was so rich. I wonder how much of their rift will be revealed next week. I also love how the English and Spanish was interchanged do fluidly.

Ella will of course fly to Mexico, oh gawd the drama. But she provided that much needed levity. And this was my favourite Beto episode. His emotional maturity was most evident in his interaction with his dad. 

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 4
On 2/27/2020 at 2:43 AM, possibilities said:

When Lucia slipped and said "she", even after she denied she meant it, mom should have should have told her it's okay if it was in fact a she. That pronoun scene made me really not like mom.

I don't think that would be very realistic. The mom is so overwhelmed by everything, she is conflicted about her marriage and thinking back at what happened to her parents and siblings. It was a shock to her and when people don't expect revelations like that they don't usually respond with natural ease - not for what er know about the family.

I really like how the writers are moving the pieces in this show. There is a lot of dynamics to be explored, not only the obvious trauma, but how people change and their perceptions change in a way they hadn't ever imagined it could. So many conflicts, among the character and also inner conflicts, the doubts, etc. Probably the best written show I have seen in a while

• Love 7
On 2/27/2020 at 11:23 PM, memememe76 said:

Great episode! The parents’ backstory was so rich. I wonder how much of their rift will be revealed next week. I also love how the English and Spanish was interchanged do fluidly.

Even Beto spoke a bit of Spanish, so he must be doing better in class.

I think it wonderful that with this version of Party of Five, we can see the trauma this has caused not only the kids but also the parents. I also the mom's desperation for losing her family again and attaching closely to Amanda is mirrored by Val's own desperation with her mother especially.

• Love 9

I know this is terrible to say, but I don’t particularly care about the parents. I didn’t like this episode as much as the other episodes.

It was really heartbreaking watching the siblings leave Emilio last week, and I feel like they rarely mentioned him this week. Nobody said anything about feeling incomplete without him. Not even the parents mentioned him. Maybe I missed it?

I really like Beto. He gets better every week. His message to Ella was really good. And he was even willing to have the sex talk with his dad just to let him feel better!

Rafa is so cute. I liked when he was just hanging out by the pool in the stroller. A very chill baby.

• Love 2

SEASON FINALE!

S1.E10: Diaspora

Val makes a surprising request, with lasting repercussions; Ella surprises Beto in Mexico, and her presence brings up unexpected truths; Lucia goes out of her comfort zone; Emilio leans on Natalia when the family's social worker returns.

Promo:

Clip:

Original air date: 3/4/20

• Love 1

The LOOK on Lucia’s face when the boy said “I wanted to make this special.”- 🤣🤣🤣🤣. Her eyes got as big as saucers and there was a “what the fuck??” look in her eyes. That was a great acting moment. Lucia NOOOOOOOOOOO why did you have sex with that guy??? You looked absolutely disgusted by him. 

Beto is a good egg. 

• Love 6

Hope there is second season as it will be interesting to see where this show goes from here. Will the show be split with Val/Rafa/the parents and the older siblings or just focus on the older siblings. Would really miss the baby. Loved him standing when he saw Ella. 

Couldn't help but feel bad for Lucia. Her mom and sister both said things that seemed to have caused her to sleep with a guy for all the wrong reasons. Then after that the mom says the right thing. Well to quote the Wedding Singer 'That would have been useful yesterday.' Though it looks like if there is a second season some of ya'll might be right with thinking that something could end up happening with Lucia and Alison. 

The show did a nice job with episode of giving it an ending in case there isn't another season but also having storylines that can be pursued if it did get another season. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, ybrik said:

Hope there is second season as it will be interesting to see where this show goes from here. Will the show be split with Val/Rafa/the parents and the older siblings or just focus on the older siblings. Would really miss the baby. Loved him standing when he saw Ella. 

Couldn't help but feel bad for Lucia. Her mom and sister both said things that seemed to have caused her to sleep with a guy for all the wrong reasons. Then after that the mom says the right thing. Well to quote the Wedding Singer 'That would have been useful yesterday.' Though it looks like if there is a second season some of ya'll might be right with thinking that something could end up happening with Lucia and Alison. 

The show did a nice job with episode of giving it an ending in case there isn't another season but also having storylines that can be pursued if it did get another season. 

If it gets picked up again (goodness I hope it does!!!), I can see Val and Rafa heading back to CA for some reason. Alison would be the type to cross lines with a damn teenager🙄. If Ella is emancipated how will she support herself? Does she have a trust fund or something?

• Love 5

I think it would be great to see the younger kids in Mexico with the parents AND see the older kids in the USA with Emilio for a while.

I felt horrible for Emilio the whole episode. First, he gets into trouble for sending the kids to visit the parents. Then he gets in trouble for telling the truth about the situation in the mandated "parenting class"-- he has really stepped up and he's not allowed to have a single moment of honest grief and frustration (it's reminiscent of what the younger kids discovered earlier this season about having no margin for error). Then he wants to protect Val from another crushing loss after testimony, and that goes against him, too. And then Val and Rafa stay in Mexico. AND NOT ONCE DOES ANYONE IN THE FAMILY ASK HOW HE'S DOING.

I was, however, shocked that he left on the road trip without even talking to anyone first. Beto will come home to an empty house. I also expected Lucia to get arrested while Emilio was on the road, and no one would be there to bail her out-- AND he might get into even more trouble as an unfit guardian. It just looks really bad all around.

I really hope the show comes back. But them burning off so many episodes at once makes me wonder if they just want to be done with it. I hope not.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

If it gets picked up again (goodness I hope it does!!!), I can see Val and Rafa heading back to CA for some reason. Alison would be the type to cross lines with a damn teenager🙄. If Ella is emancipated how will she support herself? Does she have a trust fund or something?

I don't think Ella thinks that far ahead.   I think she thinks Beto would let her move in and everything will be fine and the money tree won't stop growing but I don't think it works that way.  

Party of five had an abortion (cop out) story with Julia.   I wouldn't be surprirsed if a potential season 2 doesn't repeat that with Lucia (hopefully without the cop out).  

I don' thing Val is staying in Mexico.  It just isn't the home she's expecting.  Her mom is still going to need to work so Val will be alone while her mom is with Amanada.   She isn't gong to get any more of the attention she needs in that environment than she would at home.  I don't know how they are going to decide to send Rafa back as well, but I suspect they will.

• Love 1

Val did a great job illustrating that a child her age still has a very egocentric view of the world. She really thought the reason her mom didn't want to go to church was guilt about Amanda? HA.

It was sad but not unexpected that Lucia decided to sleep with that guy.

I was surprised that the parents agreed to let both Val and Rafa stay in Mexico with them. I was not at all surprised that Emilio slept with Natalia.

5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I really hope the show comes back. But them burning off so many episodes at once makes me wonder if they just want to be done with it.

If you mean showing all ten episodes in a row, that's what Freeform usually does.

• Love 2

What a wonderful season. This is my first new show of the decade I love. There has to be a second season!

The Beto/Ella relationship is so well done. I can totally can see them staying together or growing apart, and I would be happy either way Ella provides a comic spice to the series. I am fond of them both. 

I am wondering what is happening in real life. Are kids whose parents are forced to go to Mexico being entered into the foster system? Even when there are viable familial support like an older brother? I can’t fathom the anger they hold. 

Rafa recognizing Ella? Beto and Val saying goodbye at the pool? Emilio seeing the baby seat? The show really touches me.

This show must return! I have to say that something bad will have to occur for Rafa and Val to go back to the US? One of the parents die? Violence? Illness?

• Love 5
(edited)
23 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Party of five had an abortion (cop out) story with Julia.   I wouldn't be surprirsed if a potential season 2 doesn't repeat that with Lucia (hopefully without the cop out).  

I feel like they wanted to make Julia a lesbian, or at least bisexual, given the sexual experimentation storyline they gave her, but of course 1990's Fox sure as hell wasn't going to let that be anything more than a stunt kiss. I'm not surprised that they're making her equivalent on her likely gay. I pretty much thought they were going with that in the pilot when Lucia was talking to the girl that had been making out with her girlfriend- there was a definite flirty undertone there, I thought. I also agree with you on that last point.  Or hell, if there is a season 2, I could see the mother herself considering an abortion if she gets pregnant again for all the reasons she gave her husband as to why she doesn't want another kid.

Beto is so in over his head with Ella, but god it's sweet.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

If you mean showing all ten episodes in a row, that's what Freeform usually does.

No, I meant multiple episodes in one night.

1 hour ago, memememe76 said:

I am wondering what is happening in real life. Are kids whose parents are forced to go to Mexico being entered into the foster system?

I don't know what is happening to all of them, but this is the story of one who was simply left to fend for herself. She came home from school and her family was gone. She was a citizen, so ICE didn't take her, but they didn't do anything to get her into care of any kind, either.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/actress-diane-guerrero-talks-about-familys-deportation-in-new-book/

• Love 1
On 3/5/2020 at 7:44 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Val did a great job illustrating that a child her age still has a very egocentric view of the world.

She really did. She can be annoying but, at least to me, almost every child that age is annoying so I found it very realistic.

13 hours ago, memememe76 said:

The Beto/Ella relationship is so well done. I can totally can see them staying together or growing apart, and I would be happy either way Ella provides a comic spice to the series. I am fond of them both. 

I am wondering what is happening in real life. Are kids whose parents are forced to go to Mexico being entered into the foster system? Even when there are viable familial support like an older brother? I can’t fathom the anger they hold. 

I like Beto and Ella too and I agree that there is a comic relief touch to it. I also like the actress playing the character. 

That's exactly what is happening with children in this country. I am not sure if it happens in a situation when children already have a guardian. The system is so overwhelmed, so few foot workers, so much paperwork, I am to sure they would just get so hard on this case. But our government hasn't kept track of the children and parents information, a lot of parents self-deported with the promise of being able to keep in touch with their children - obviously that did't happen, a lot of the kids were put up for adoption, in at least one case involving multiple children were the courts actually ruled in favor of kidnapping. It is heartbreaking.

This show and the actors grew on me so much, I think it is definitely my favorite - not that I like many shows, I am picky - but this one I really love.

• Love 5

I don't really like Lucia, but I do feel very icky on her behalf after she slept with that guy to try to prove a point. There was absolutely no chemistry or true interest, which was the point, so, yuck.

I hope he doesn't track her down and stalk her if he makes it to the US.

Javier trying the convince the wife to have another baby ... are you kidding me? I think the actress is doing a great job conveying the pain in the situation, which I could not even imagine.

I was totally "Yes, let Val and the baby stay in Mexico!"  

• Love 1
(edited)

I actually really like Beto and Ella. I wouldn't mind if she stays around and the rest of the family likes her but is also gently bemused by her. Like her bringing Emilio the Chinese food the other night and then leaving was a great touch.

Lucia: "Natalia, I can see you." 

Edited by sab85
  • Love 3

I hope that they switch back and fourth between Val/Rafa and the parents, and Emilio and the twins back in California, that should be really interesting. I dont think it will be permanent, but it might help Val at least a bit. I have really ended up liking this show, I am really hoping for some season two news very soon! 

Poor Emilio, I really wish someone from his family would check in with him to see how he is doing. He was so heartbroken hearing that Rafa and Val would be staying, after he worked so hard to take care of them and give them some stability. At least he has Natalia! And now he has a lot more of Natalia! Yeah that was inevitable, we all knew they were hooking up, it will sure be interesting to see where things go from here. 

"I can see you Natalia." 

I kind of think that everyone is underestimating how much Beto and Lucia need some kind of parental guidance in their lives. They are both certainly quite self sufficient and responsible (especially Beto) but we have seen them continuously struggling with all of this, and they are only sixteen. Not exactly adults yet. 

Beto is such a sweet kid, he just has such a natural warmth and compassion to him (which is presumably what Val was trying to get across when she said he had "girl parts") and I love his scenes with Val. Them hugging not goodbye was so sweet and sad, you can really see how much Val looks up to him. His scenes with his parents were good as well, and I loved him telling Val to make time for her dad as well as her mom, as he really needs his kids too. Beto can do a lot of dumb teen stuff (especially involving Ella) but he is very emotionally mature, especially when it comes to his family, maybe one of the most in the whole show, including the adults. 

Poor Lucia, losing her virginity to someone she clearly wasnt attracted to be more straight for her mom. And then her mom came around anyway! Her growing "oh crap" expression! Her eyes were the size of eggplants! It seems like they might be going for something between her and Allison, which I am not a fan of, as I dont like Allison very much, but I do like the idea of her exploring her sexuality, alongside everything else. Lucia got a real one two punch from her mom and sister, even if they weren't exactly trying to insult her. Lucia is still a women, just that she likes a lot of non stereotypical feminine things, and Beto is still a guy, just he has a more naturally nurturing personality than his twin is, and while thats considered more "feminine" it really isnt, its just a personality thing. Of course some of what Val said might be less of how gender stereotypes can affect even little kids, and more that Val is generally closer to Beto than Lucia, and that Val is a bit hurt that Lucia doesent really spend much time with her. Like the episode were they were cooking together, and Val was excited to spend time with Lucia, while Lucia was horrified that she had to do something so "girlie" and Val took that personally, and went off to get comforted by Beto. A lot of really interesting dynamics in general.  

I like Ella, I think she really does love Beto, and she adds a lot of comic relief to otherwise serious situations. Baby Rafa (the cutest baby!) doing the "pick me up!" gesture when he saw her was sweet, she really is spending a ton of time hanging out with the family! And Beto is so gone on her, its really cute. But maybe hold off on the wedding plans kids...

• Love 6

Are Beto and Ella engaged? It seemed like she was about to ask him, and then later the camera panned down to show Ella wearing a ring on her left hand.

I felt bad for the hotel guy because it seemed like Lucia was using him. Lucia just seems so lost. 

Last week I said I didn’t care about the parents. This week I realized I don’t like the parents. At all. Especially the dad. He was the one who pressured the mom into leaving Rafa in the first place because it was best for Rafa. But then he decides they should take Val and Rafa, not because it’s best for the kids, but so he can manipulate her into staying with him. And I’m really just annoyed with how they treated Emilio. They let him give up his whole life to run their restaurant and take care of his siblings, only to then decide they can take care of Val and Rafa anyway.

Poor Emilio. He had no idea when he said goodbye to them at the border that Val and Rafa were not coming back. Who knows when he’ll see them again.

Rafa reaching for Ella was so cute.

I hope this show comes back! 

I'm sure the show will be back for season 1B.  Freeform gives every show two halves unless it's a real stinker and this hasn't been.  I think it also fits in well with Good Trouble (although I suspect it skews a bit younger). 

Freeform is into Yes We Went There lately (they had a pegging plot on The Bold Type and both of their current comedies are pushing the controversy) so I wouldn't be suprised at all if we get an abortion storyline or an STD or something, but we also could get nothing as a positive sexuality story.

I'll be interested to see how they deal with the younger kids.  Val isn't going to be happy with school in Mexico.  She's supposed to be a STEM prodigy.  I suspect the parents will be fighting a lot also.

• Love 2
On 3/5/2020 at 10:54 PM, possibilities said:

No, I meant multiple episodes in one night.

On 3/6/2020 at 11:07 AM, bybrandy said:

When did we have that?

On 3/6/2020 at 1:03 PM, possibilities said:

I thought they did it this week?

Maybe I'm wrong?

No, the season finale was 90 minutes long. It was an extended episode but it wasn't two episodes. When shows air double episodes, they are credited as such (meaning each episode has a separate set of credits at the beginning of each hour). If there is only one set of credits, it's considered a single episode. Grey's Anatomy has done double episodes for their season premieres the last few seasons but each episode has its own episode title, episode number, and credits.

Some shows that air on Hulu are now doing double episodes for the season premieres (it's their compromise between weekly episodes and binge watching), but those are always credited as two separate episodes.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

I just took it as burning off 4 eps in one night. I prefer your interpretation, as it bodes better for renewal.

They didn't air the equivalent of four episodes in one night though. The episodes are usually 60 minutes long. The season finale was 90 minutes long.

• Love 2

My guide indicated this episode was only an hour long. Imagine my surprise when I finally watched it this evening only to have it cut off. Thankfully Spark Canada had the video up and I was able to watch the full thing. 

I felt terrible for Emilio when Val was telling him that she and Rafa were going to stay in Mexico. He just looked so broken that I ended up ugly crying at my TV. And then I did the same thing during the scene where Beto and Val said goodbye. 

I absolutely love this show and I'm desperately hoping it gets a second season. 

• Love 7

19 hours ago, jewel21 said:

My guide indicated this episode was only an hour long. Imagine my surprise when I finally watched it this evening only to have it cut off. Thankfully Spark Canada had the video up and I was able to watch the full thing. 

My DVR skipped the first half hour, so when I turned it on it was the scene with Beto and Ella talking about weddings. I was very confused and thought they had decided to elope or something. I was able to catch the whole thing on demand.

• Love 1

I looked at what the ratings were, and yikes. I don't think this show is getting renewed unless it gets picked up by Hulu. Freeform usually gives shows a chance, but the ratings on this show were bad. Really, really bad. It might have a shot if this were on the CW because they literally give almost everything a second season unless it's an expensive series like the failed Matt Barr one because everything winds up on Netflix,

It's a shame because they put in really good work, but I can't see this getting renewed unless it gets shopped to a streamer.

Again though, ratings were really, really bad. I enjoyed this show but I cannot blame cancellation. The finale was watched by 143,000 people. I'm kind of surprised at how badly this show did because it was a really good fit for Freeform's audience.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Well, this sucks. But many shows will not come back anytime soon anyway because this virus is not even close to disappearing. And then it will be back in the fall. 

I really don't understand audiences when compared to what I like on TV shows. I think I must be weird because while there were things that' could be criticized, I thought it was well done, well acted (the actors grew on me as the season progressed) and even the annoying moments I could understand with a little dose of reality. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, alexvillage said:

Well, this sucks. But many shows will not come back anytime soon anyway because this virus is not even close to disappearing. And then it will be back in the fall. 

I really don't understand audiences when compared to what I like on TV shows. I think I must be weird because while there were things that' could be criticized, I thought it was well done, well acted (the actors grew on me as the season progressed) and even the annoying moments I could understand with a little dose of reality. 

You are not alone.  I liked the show, too.  

I think many people don't like shows that make them think.  They just want silly nonsense.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2