Type keyword(s) to search

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 10/12/2015 at 10:21 AM, Carrie Ann said:

...I honestly didn't feel much difference in the quality level of Season 3, or in Phryne's demeanor or her ability to take a lover. I thought it was fairly apparent she'd gotten with the Italian guy and her Air Force former flame, at least. And there were other possibilities along the way that just didn't pan out. But yeah, I guess I don't see it as a problem that Phryne would develop as a character and not stay static. So if her interest in other men has waned while her feelings for Jack have grown, that doesn't bother me at all. It doesn't take away from her strength as a character, in fact it deepens her for me. But to each their own.

I agree, and I didn’t notice a significant difference to Series 3 either. It was engaging, funny—spider under the diaphragm is one for the ages—and risqué when it wanted to be. I’m also not convinced that Phryne and Jack starting a relationship automatically means the end of their banter or teasing. Phryne still has all those questions about the Chinese brothel, for example.

I’ll concede that S3 is slow to start though, and that the second half’s episodes are better. (Same as with Series 1, come to think of it.) And some things were rushed—conversations, unfortunately. For example, at least twice, I noticed that Dot and Hugh apologized their way out of their conflict rather than articulating what they were thinking or feeling. The scene where Hugh returns from his fishing trip needed another 5-10 sentences, in particular. It’s easy to blame the reduced number of episodes for this rush, I suppose.

Also, Phryne’s father… eh, he was both generic and irritating. But I did like that the season's ending focused on Phryne’s family and their history. It seemed like a callback in theme to S1’s final mystery, which was about Janey, her sister. (And to keep up, Series 4 could have concluded with a Gosford Park-esque murder involving Phryne’s mother. :-) )

Anyway, I am very glad to have discovered Miss Fisher’s… and I’m already tempted to rewatch it.

-------

ETA: Hey thanks, @purist. That's very nice of you.

Edited by weyrbunny

I just found this series and am so thrilled that there will be a movie.  It was planned as a trilogy, so hopefully the first one will do well enough that they will make the other two. (And more!) And I agree with GaT, I want the others back too!!

• Love 1

I'm probably just thick-headed, but I never got a chance to learn any of the names of the new characters in this episode (except Beatrice) so it was hard to keep straight who was being talked about by Phryne and Jack and Hugh. 

On 11/16/2014 at 11:02 AM, Lawgiver said:

Perry Heslop! One of the things I love about MFMM is playing spot the Australian actor! At least two former Muriel's Wedding actor's have shown up in MFMM, the second is Roz Hammond who was in first season's Away with the Fairies.  

True! Belinda McClory (from Dr. Blake) was in the previous episode, Murder Most Scandalous. It drove me crazy for a couple of minutes until it hit me how I knew her.

• Love 1

Good stuff Jul 68! Thanks for posting.  I'm glad Dot will be in it, but hope fervently the rest of the cast will be too.  I'm glad to read the whole thing won't be set in a foreign location.

First picture from the movie! There's a media release here with more info, including:

In this big-screen Miss Fisher adventure, the exploits of The Hon. Phryne Fisher in 1920s Melbourne, Australia, lead her to murder, mystery and mayhem from London to British Palestine.  After freeing a young Bedouin girl (Shirin Abbas) from her unjust imprisonment in Jerusalem, Miss Fisher begins to unravel a decade-old mystery concerning priceless emeralds, ancient curses and the truth behind the suspicious disappearance of Shirin’s forgotten tribe.

And the delicious Rupert Penry-Jones (Spooks, Whitechapel) is joining the cast!

Phryne movie 1.jpeg

• Love 3

More info about the characters of the movie in a new media release.

Lord and Lady Lofthouse (Daniel Lapaine and Jacqueline McKenzie) are old friends of Essie Davis’ Miss Phryne Fisher, who rescues Shirin Abbas, a young Bedouin girl (Australian newcomer Izabella Yena) from prison in Jerusalem and then sets out to find priceless emeralds and to solve the suspicious disappearance of Shirin’s tribe.

Lord ‘Lofty’ Lofthouse is described as a man of easygoing charm, the product of generations of wealthy British aristocracy, who served as a high-ranking officer in the Palestinian and Sinai campaigns of World War One. His late parents knew Phyrne’s Aunt Prudence (Miriam Margolyes). His devoted wife Lady Eleanor is attractive, elegant and civilised. Over the years she too formed a close friendship with Prudence.

Brit Rupert Penry-Jones is First Lieutenant Jonathon Lofthouse, who is more reserved than his older brother Lofty and carries a heavy guilt after serving in WW1. His life has been a house of cards built on a terrible secret since he returned from service in the Middle East.

• Love 2

The book was called Juana the Mad, hence the episode title.

Loved Jack and Phryne on the motorcycle. 

Fun way to get Mr. Butler out of commission so that Phryne could be the one to confront the intruder and lose (which I still find highly improbable). The scene was poorly staged. 

What condition do we think Beatrice has? Asperger's perhaps? Just the really quirky and really smart trope?

Edited by Jul 68
Spelling counts

Variety: Acorn TV acquires Miss Fisher movie and spinoff series for North America.

The feature film “Miss Fisher and the Crypt of Tears” and spinoff series “Ms. Fisher’s Modern Murder Mysteries” will debut in North America on Acorn streaming service later this year, with the feature also set to screen at selected theaters.

• Love 3
(edited)

I watched the spinoff on Acorn. I wasn't exactly enthralled and it didn't have half the charm of the original series for me, but it was a pleasant enough way to spend some entertainment time.

It's set in the 60s and the show tries to recreate Phryne's personal style and fabulousity, but the mod shift dresses and capri pants of that era don't do it for me like Phryne's clothes.

Acorn has a 7-day free trial so you can cancel and not even spend the $4.99 for a month of service.

Edited by palmaire
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Over the weekend I watched three of the four episodes (1.5 hours each) of the spinoff and I quite enjoyed it.  It's total fluff but the characters are fun and the actress playing Peregrine Fisher does an admirable job of picking up the mantle of lady detective.  I didn't think I'd find the clothes all that glamorous but I was surprised to find that I looked forward to seeing what outfits Peregrine would wear next as much as I ever did with Phryne.  She has a sort of Audrey Hepburn thing going.  Anyway, I liked it and plan to watch the last episode this week.  I hope they get a second season. 

My only issue is that while Phryne gets a mention in the first episode, there's been no mention of Jack or whatever happened to him.  Part of me is relieved because as much as I enjoyed the flirtations between Phryne and Jack I could never seen them working out long term.  I know that any worthwhile relationship takes some compromise but for Phryne/Jack to work, one of them would have to radically give up who they are.  Over the course of the series Phryne mentioned several times that she would never commit herself to one man, nor should she if that's not what she wants.  But Jack isn't the type of man who could ever be happy being guy #20-something waiting in line to get into Phryne's bed. I just don't see those two making it work.  So maybe it's just as well that the spinoff didn't give me confirmation that Phryne ended up breaking Jack's heart in the end.  Peregrine and her dashing detective, James, actually look like they could make a go of it.

On 5/1/2019 at 3:26 PM, palmaire said:

Acorn has a 7-day free trial so you can cancel and not even spend the $4.99 for a month of service.

I was hoping they would end up on Netflix (like the rest of the series) or some other channel sooner or later. Everybody is starting a paid steaming service and most of them don't have much content or last very long. Best thing to do is to wait till they release everything you want to see and binge watch during the free trial period.

Ashleigh Cummings, who plays Dorothy "Dot" Williams, Phryne Fisher's maid/assistant is in a new TV Series on AMC called NOS4A2 (pronounced Nosferatu). The most amazing thing is she is playing a girl who is around 17 years old and still in high school.

• Useful 1

I came across this series on Netflix as a suggestion from a friend and I love it.

I always pictured this is what Nancy Drew would've been like as an adult and less confined.

I have always been into murder mystery series and this fits the bill with a strong character like Phryne Fisher from the colourful wardrobe to the unique personalities of each character. 

I agree with the majority of people who said that Season 3 was lacking and I think a large part of it had to do with Phryne's father who wasn't very likeable (no wonder she was not interested in committing to anyone). If he had been introduced in an earlier season then the audience probably could've gotten used to him but it felt off. Also some of the characters felt flanderized, Hugh wanting Dot to stick to married domestic life instead of her freedom with Phryne felt out of character because he'd always supported her bravery and courage before and suddenly felt intimidated by her becoming a modern woman the moment marriage came up - it really bugged me

Season 1 definitely felt it's strongest and I can totally understand why Jane got less screen time - after her close encounter with Murdoch Foyle, I think she sent Jane away to boarding school for her own safety. Phryne's charm and wit with everyone is just amusing, especially with Jack.

The season 3 ending felt lackluster and I'm so pleased they're going to have a movie! However I'm not sure how I feel about the spinoff coming from Phryne's niece, especially if it's from a sister we've never been introduced and who came from her deadbeat father's philandering ways.

However after reading the discussion, I do look forward to reading the book series and making comparison notes.

Long live Phryne Fisher! 🙂

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Eri said:

if it's from a sister we've never been introduced

From reading the books several years ago, the sister was mentioned and had chosen to stay in England. 

Is the sequel on Netflix written by the same author as Miss Fisher?

9 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Is the sequel on Netflix written by the same author as Miss Fisher?

It's made by the same production company, but Kerry Greenwood didn't write it. I know that she gave her blessing to the spin-off and is happy with how it turned out (she's a personal friend).

So I woke this morning to a message from the Crypt producers and what seems to be the teaser trailer!  It's restricted to Kickstarter backers at present, hopefully it'll be more widely available soon.

It looks amazing - the landscapes, the dresses!  Lots of Jack/Phryne.  Can't wait!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, pootlus said:

So I woke this morning to a message from the Crypt producers and what seems to be the teaser trailer!  It's restricted to Kickstarter backers at present, hopefully it'll be more widely available soon.

Is this the one? It's just been posted on the Miss Fisher FB page. I'm so excited!

• Love 3

About Ms. Fisher Modern MM, their DVD is about to launch and libraries may already have their orders in.  I checked the library in my closest city (Knoxville TN) and their copy is on order.  I'm now on the list and I wasn't the first in line, so there is some excitement out there for its appearance.

• Love 1

Eeeeeee! The full official HD trailer for the movie has been posted on the Miss Fisher FB page! The clothes! The settings! The URST! Essie Davis looks even more ravishing than usual.

Fun fact: In the first few seconds of the trailer you can see a woman sitting at a table with a man with a white beard. They are author Kerry Greenwood herself, and her partner, David Greagg (dear friends of mine).

ETA: This trailer is slightly longer (and much more gorgeous) than the one that was posted on YT in September.

Edited by purist
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Could anyone do a screen capture of that second trailer's beginning?

Here are a couple of screen shots where you can see Kerry and David. They look so good!

Miss Fisher movie David and Kerry 1.png

Miss Fisher movie David and Kerry 2.png

• Love 1

New post on the Miss Fisher FB page:

Miss Fisher and the Crypt of Tears has been officially selected to screen at the Palm Springs International Film Festival, one of the most influential film festivals in the US! The film will have its World Premiere at the festival January 4th 2020. Roadshow will release the film in Australia on February 27th and it will make its US Premiere in select theatres and on streaming service Acorn TV in March 2020. Further international release details to be announced. #MissFisherMovie

And the FB page has a gorgeous new banner.

Miss Fiisher movie banner.png

On 11/21/2019 at 4:41 PM, enoughcats said:

About Ms. Fisher Modern MM, their DVD is about to launch and libraries may already have their orders in.  I checked the library in my closest city (Knoxville TN) and their copy is on order.  I'm now on the list and I wasn't the first in line, so there is some excitement out there for its appearance.

I watched episode 1 and was not impressed. The lead, Geraldine Hakewell, just doesn't have the chops to carry the show. Parts of it felt like a Monkees episode or Get Smart, too silly and campy.

• Love 1
On 12/11/2019 at 2:10 PM, BlackberryJam said:

The lead, Geraldine Hakewell,

she's cute and occasionally very pretty.  But I hated her in the first ten minutes for destroying her (beauty shop) customer's hair because she took a break with her scuzzy boyfriend, presumably to screw, and got back very late and the chemicals had been on her customer's head way too long.

That wretched intro implied she was stupid-chemically, clueless-in personal responsibility, and not trustworthy. 

That's a lot of negatives to overcome for me.  

We watched all the episodes.  She got better, without showing the whys of her improvement.  Lots of references to Phrynie, maybe too many.  I'd have preferred taking this series on its own.  And by the end, I had come to like her co-stars more than her.  Those first ten minutes were a total bummer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The publicity for Miss Fisher and the Crypt of Tears is in full swing in Australia, with the movie officially opening next Thursday - e.g. here's a recent article about it from Melbourne's main newspaper. I was lucky enough to go to an advance screening yesterday in Melbourne at the glorious Art Deco Sun Theatre.

I was with a group of friends who have all known Phryne's creator, Kerry Greenwood, and her partner for a long time. We were asked to frock up, and we took full advantage of the opportunity! (I went as Dr Mac, who isn't in the film, but who is one of my favourite characters in the books and TV series.)

There was a band and vintage cars and a biplane circling overhead, and a post-film Q&A with producers Fiona Eagger and Deb Cox, director Tony Tilse, cinematographer Roger Lanser, and stars Essie Davis and Nathan Page (see my blurry photo of Deb, Essie and Nathan below).

The movie is SO. MUCH. FUN. Gorgeous photography, divine costumes, a silly-but-ingenious plot and OMG the sexual tension between Phryne and Jack is off the charts! I can't wait for everyone to see it.

Post-film Deb Essie Nathan.jpg

• Love 3

I found an article about a Sydney screening on Thursday night that has some info about the movie's release in the USA:

In the US the film will screen in about a dozen cities including the Alamo Drafthouse chain before the March 23 premiere on streaming platform Acorn TV.

[Co-producer Fiona] Eagger says the US cinemas will extend the season after the Acorn premiere if there is sufficient demand.

I already bought my ticket to see it on March 15th in the US. Can't wait! It won't be as glamorous as the screening you saw in Melbourne, but I'm sure I'll love it. Time to re-watch some episodes to get myself into the Miss Fisher mood!

• Love 2
On 2/28/2020 at 12:45 AM, Cherpumple said:

I already bought my ticket to see it

Is there any chance you have a link that shows where the screenings will be?  I had talked my husband into a short trip to see the movie, but now I need to find where in the southeastern US it might be. 

18 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Is there any chance you have a link that shows where the screenings will be? 

I don't have a link for all the showings, but I'm seeing it at an Alamo Drafthouse in the DC area. I don't think they're playing it at all their theaters (they're a small chain), and if there isn't one near you I would check the more artsy/independent cinemas rather than the huge multiplexes. I hope you find it! TV is great, but I'm sure there's nothing like seeing Phryne and Jack on the big screen.

• Useful 2
On 2/23/2020 at 12:05 AM, purist said:

In the US the film will screen in about a dozen cities including the Alamo Drafthouse chain before the March 23 premiere on streaming platform Acorn TV.

WTH is Acorn TV? I've never even heard of it.

17 minutes ago, GaT said:

WTH is Acorn TV? I've never even heard of it.

Acorn.tv and Britbox.com are two channels that stream British shows.  Not very expensive and a lot of content.  Definitely worth it if you love British television.  

• Love 1